Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 20:29   #106
D4D
BHPian

Re: Upgrade from Toyota Innova to a used Toyota Fortuner - Advisable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
use patterns:

- monthly running of around 3k kms (70:30 in favor of highways)
- at least 6 long distance road trips with the whole family( 5 adults+ kid) every year
- a 900 km business round trip made inside 24 hrs, every 2 weeks- with the intention of bringing back as many articles in the car as possible ( home linen, decoration pieces etc)

So essentially the attributes needed are space, comfort and reliability. I think Fortuner's reliability is second to none, but how comfortable will it be compared to Innova? Even if it is 80% as comfortable for 5 adults, I'll be fine with it.
Advantage fortuner:
->Lesser noise at high speed
->4WD, not sure you require it
->More power and torque, will make a big difference in dual carriage highways
->Packs more appeal, look wise
->Better FE on highway (Especially above 80 kmph, due to Innova's short gearing.)

Not exactly an advantage, but with your driving, you can compensate for Fortuner's City FE by driving sedately on the highway.

Fortuner's FE: (A friends' ride, 2010, 3.0 D4D 4x4)
City: 9.6 kmpl (in Bangalore traffic) Highway: ~13 kmpl. AFAIK, he uses tank-tank method.

Innova's FE:(Mine, 2007,2.5 D4D BS3)
City: 10.1 kmpl (in Bangalore traffic) Highway: ~10.7 kmpl. All figures by tank-tank method.

Advantage Innova: (i.e. keeping your current ride)
->Good resale value
->Better ride quality
->Better middle and third row
->You're the first owner
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 16:57   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family

Thank you everyone for your inputs. So, I will stick with the Innova but I did check out the Fortuner and it drove as good as a new one. But its certainly not going to win any awards in the comfort department.

I wanted a Fortuner because of its 4wd. I had hoped, one car could do it all for me...have 4wd, be big enough to haul 5 adults over large distances and yet be under budget.
Old 13th October 2015, 21:16   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
City: 9.6 kmpl (in Bangalore traffic) Highway: ~13 kmpl. AFAIK, he uses tank-tank method.

City: 10.1 kmpl (in Bangalore traffic) Highway: ~10.7 kmpl. All figures by tank-tank method.
Re-visiting old thread.

Mainly for those who own or have owned, either a Fortuner or Innova. Are some of you also getting similar mileage?

What confuses me is that, how come 2.5L Innova gives a lesser mileage than the Fortuner with 3.0L engine capacity for highway driving? I know a few people who own Innovas' and they say highway mileage is 12 - 13 kmpl, which sounds more realistic.

Also, some articles are now saying that with the new upcoming 2016 GD engines, Toyota claims that mileage will be better. As a guess, how much more would these 2 Toyota best sellers in India, give in terms of 'better mileage'?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th October 2015 at 10:53. Reason: T-Fort > Fortuner. Please refrain from using acronyms while referring to cars on the forum. Thanks!
Old 13th October 2015, 22:14   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Re-visiting old thread.

Mainly for those who own or have owned, either a Fortuner or Innova. Are some of you also getting similar mileage?

What confuses me is that, how come 2.5L Innova gives a lesser mileage than the Fortuner with 3.0L engine capacity for highway driving? I know a few people who own Innovas' and they say highway mileage is 12 - 13 kmpl, which sounds more realistic.

Also, some articles are now saying that with the new upcoming 2016 GD engines, Toyota claims that mileage will be better. As a guess, how much more would these 2 Toyota best sellers in India, give in terms of 'better mileage'?
I have both the cars a 2005 Innova and a 2013 fortuner. At moderate speeds 80-100 innova gives 14kmpl compared to 13-13.5 of fortuner. Due to taller gearing and more power at 120kmph both return around 11-12. Mileage is very speed sensitive and at high speeds (yamuna expressway) I get only 8-9kmpl. These cars are meant to be driven sedately. The mileage may not be the best but these cars are excellent. No breakdowns after completing 1L and 50k on both the cars respectively. Service costs are also comparable to my A star AT.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th October 2015 at 11:01. Reason: Quoted post edited; reference to speeding removed.
Old 13th October 2015, 22:25   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post

Quote:

My dad's Innova's FE figures are very similar.

The reason the the smaller 2.5 in the Innova gives only 10.7 Kmpl is due to the high RPMs it runs at high speed. One more thing: we run three row AC at high speed.

Here are the RPMs I've observed: (there maybe slight parallax, but it's within reasonable error range)
90 KMPH @ 2500 RPM
100 KMPH @ 2750 RPM
110 KMPH @ 3000 RPM

Whereas most other diesel cars cruise @ 2000/2200 RPM (100 KMPH at 5th gear)

I've not personally been in the fortuner on a highway, but I think it surely has taller gearing to use that beastly torque and it should be a calm cruiser on the highway(100-110 KMPH)

With the GD engine, there's enough torque compared the 2KD's meager 200 Nm. I'll not be surprised if these cars will become very calm cruisers. Can we expect 100 KMPH in 6th gear @1800 RPM ?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 13th October 2015 at 22:29.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 08:03   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I've not personally been in the fortuner on a highway, but I think it surely has taller gearing to use that beastly torque and it should be a calm cruiser on the highway(100-110 KMPH)
Yes, the Fortuner does 100kmph @ 2,000 revs.

Quote:
With the GD engine, there's enough torque compared the 2KD's meager 200 Nm. I'll not be surprised if these cars will become very calm cruisers. Can we expect 100 KMPH in 6th gear @1800 RPM ?
Yeti does that. IIRC, the revs are below 1800 in 6th and 100kmph. At 120 kmph, it is barely at 2,000 revs in 6th.
Old 14th October 2015, 09:24   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I have both the cars a 2005 Innova and a 2013 fortuner. At moderate speeds 80-100 innova gives 14kmpl compared to 13-13.5 of fortuner.
Thanks, good to know. So really not that much difference in FE between the 2 best seller UVs from Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
My dad's Innova's FE figures are very similar.
The reason the the smaller 2.5 in the Innova gives only 10.7 Kmlepl is due to the high RPMs it runs at high speed. One more thing: we run three row AC at high speed.
This makes sense too, that 'smaller engine' at higher speeds will rev more thus drinking more gas.

If the new GD engines prove frugal enough as Toyota claims, that'll boost the FE on long drives. Saw a review video clip on the Hilux in the New Fortuner thread. Seems like it is a lot quieter with higher torque. So looks like the 2016 & beyond Toyota UVs being launched in India may have a good story.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:54   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What confuses me is that, how come 2.5L Innova gives a lesser mileage than the Fortuner with 3.0L engine capacity for highway driving?
Main reason is the short gearing of the Innova. It's running at too high an rpm on the highway.

Innova @ 100 kph = 2,750 rpm. The same for the Fortuner MT is about 2,000 rpm. I believe the Fortuner AT cruises at an even lower rpm in 5th (owners have reported 1,750 rpm).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 21:10   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Main reason is the short gearing of the Innova. It's running at too high an rpm on the highway.

Innova @ 100 kph = 2,750 rpm. The same for the Fortuner MT is about 2,000 rpm. I believe the Fortuner AT cruises at an even lower rpm in 5th (owners have reported 1,750 rpm).
Makes sense on the Innova explanation. So does this mean the Fortuner AT would give almost equal or slightly higher mileage than Fortuner MT?

On similar lines, Honda does claims the ARAI mileage for new City AT is slightly higher than on the City MT.
Old 15th October 2015, 21:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On similar lines, Honda does claims the ARAI mileage for new City AT is slightly higher than on the City MT.
Yup, that's because CVT have infinite intermediate ratios. For cruising at a constant speed (hardly happens on Indian highways ), a CVT can also give diesel-like fuel efficiency. CVT eqiupped city can do 100 kmph @ 2500 RPM but the manual does it at 3000 RPM. Slamming the throttle at this speed would get you a much better response from the manual.

But throw it in city traffic, the CVT's economy suffers. It's anywhere around 1- 1.5 KPL lesser than the Manual's FE.
Old 15th November 2016, 23:03   #116
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Life comes a FULL CIRCLE!!!

I started this thread a few years back on whether to go in for the Innova or the Fortuner and ended up buying a pre-worshipped Endeavour.

The new-car-itch has popped up its "ugly" head.

This time again it is the Innova Crysta vs the New Fortuner. More on the test drive here... http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4093394
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 18:51   #117
BHPian

Re-visiting an old tread..

We have a 2007 Innova G4 primarily used by family of 7 for outstation travels.
We are considering a new 7 seater to be added to the family. The existing Innova will be retained alongside for few more years.
With the current generation Innova Crysta and Fortuner launched which is better in the below parameters. I will be considering only the top version with automatic. I always prefer to retain my cars for a minimum of 7 years and will be self driven 90% of the time.

Kindly let your inputs flow on the below parameters.
1. Comfort for 7 average size adults (especially third row of fortuner compared to Crysta).
2. Safety (both have 7 airbags and other necessary safety kit) - does the Fortuner have any other differentiating factor?
3. Is it worth paying about 12 lakh premium on-road Bangalore between Innova Crysta 2.8Z Automatic and Fortuner AT as both have the same engines/ gearbox?
4. I understand the road presence and snob value of Fortuner is next to none in the SUV segment. However, again is it worth the premium difference.
5. NVH characteristics

Note: I will be considering the Hexa as well but would leave that for another discussion.
Old 16th November 2017, 19:43   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post

We are considering a new 7 seater to be added to the family. The existing Innova will be retained alongside for few more years.
With the current generation Innova Crysta and Fortuner launched which is better in the below parameters. I will be considering only the top version with automatic. I always prefer to retain my cars for a minimum of 7 years and will be self driven 90% of the time.

Kindly let your inputs flow on the below parameters.
1. Comfort for 7 average size adults (especially third row of fortuner compared to Crysta).
2. Safety (both have 7 airbags and other necessary safety kit) - does the Fortuner have any other differentiating factor?
3. Is it worth paying about 12 lakh premium on-road Bangalore between Innova Crysta 2.8Z Automatic and Fortuner AT as both have the same engines/ gearbox?
4. I understand the road presence and snob value of Fortuner is next to none in the SUV segment. However, again is it worth the premium difference.
5. NVH characteristics

Note: I will be considering the Hexa as well but would leave that for another discussion.
The ride and comfort of Innova is much better. In fact as long as you do not encounter really bad roads and wade water regularly, Fortuner is a waste. Of course snob value is on Fortuner's side, but ride and comfort on Innova's.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 20:07   #119
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family

Quote:

Innova will trump the Fortuner in comfort. My vote here is definitely the Innova. Since you are going to retain your Innova for a few more years, I would suggest the Endeavour instead of the Fortuner. If Hexa is on your mind, go for it. It is cheaper than the Innova and its pretty decent and competent. Yes Tata really does not have the bling, but will get the job done.

Option 1

Endy and your Old Innova

Option 2

Hexa and your Old Innova

Option 3

Crysta and your Old Innova.

Option 4

Fortuner and your Old Innova.

Hope this helps. This is how I would categorise personally.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 16th November 2017 at 20:09.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 13:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If comfort if your priority, there are no questions here. The Crysta trumps the Fortuner.

Quote:
The safety of both vehicles ( top end ) are comparable. Fortuner might have an advantage in a head on collision since it is heavier of the two.

Quote:
It's worth spending if you are going to use it for off road regularly. If it's city and highway drives that are going to dominate, the Crysta beats fortuner.

Quote:
5. NVH characteristics
Both are almost the same here.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed