Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 22:20   #121
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
Re-visiting an old tread..

We have a 2007 Innova G4 primarily used by family of 7 for outstation travels.
Since you are retaining your car for a long time, go for Crysta top end. There is no point in paying 12L premium for the Fortuner if you are more inclined towards comfort. You will be again in market in 2 or 3 years as your Innova G4 is 10 years old now. But as far as I see, you will miss the quality of your old Innova in the newer one. There are some niggles reported in our own forum.

Even though Hexa is a competent product, the ASS might be a gamble with Tata. Its still a hit or a miss. But given the approximate price difference
of 7l between Crysta and Hexa top end in Bangalore, you can take the Gamble on a Tata product. My friend recently had a ride in Hexa and he is all praise for the ride comfort on it. The build quality of Hexa is also good.

With all said, Take a good TD of all the cars and decide based on your family's comfort and your preferred choice.
Old 24th November 2017, 20:26   #122
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Have responded below with comments inline within you post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post

Kindly let your inputs flow on the below parameters.
1. Comfort for 7 average size adults (especially third row of fortuner compared to Crysta). Innova or Hexa both would be more comfortable that the Fortuner.
2. Safety (both have 7 airbags and other necessary safety kit) - does the Fortuner have any other differentiating factor? Hexa would be safest.
3. Is it worth paying about 12 lakh premium on-road Bangalore between Innova Crysta 2.8Z Automatic and Fortuner AT as both have the same engines/ gearbox? Not unless you are in politics.
4. I understand the road presence and snob value of Fortuner is next to none in the SUV segment. However, again is it worth the premium difference. Maybe the Endeavour matches and exceeds the Fortuner in snob value and presence both by a small margin. The Endy is worth the premium over the Innova but not the Fortuner. If you want the best deal get the 2.2 Titanium Endy.
5. NVH characteristics

Note: I will be considering the Hexa as well but would leave that for another discussion.
I recommend in the below order:
1) Endeavour
2) Hexa
3) Innova
4) Fortuner

I further find both the Endeavour and Hexa much more planted on the road than the Innova and Fortuner so would suggest that they are inherently safer for highway driving. Besides Endeavour has 7 airbags and Hexa too has 6 both are much better value than the Toyota options (If you plan to keep the car for 7 yrs then resale value will not be a major impact.) Endeavour competes globally with the Toyota Landcruiser Prado which is a higher segment vehicle than the Fortuner.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 19:59   #123
BHPian

Hello All, While this is an old thread, I am reviving the question again and seek your suggestions in the present day considering that both the Innova Crysta and Fortuner have undergone substantial changes over the years.

To give a background, my father (who is about 65 years) in Bhubaneswar is considering an upgrade from a Vitara Brezza ZDi+. He enjoys driving and does approximately about 1500-2000 kms per month on an average. Most of the time it is only my father and mother travelling and at times when we (me and my sister and our respective families) have visited during holidays, which in the last one year has been restricted owing to the pandemic.

He loved the Innova Crysta and also the captain seats in the middle row during his test drive. Though he could not get a test drive of the Fortuner but could not stop expressing his admiration for the new Fortuner in Black, one of which was parked outside the showroom.

I suggested to him that if you like the Fortuner, you should go for it as you cannot go wrong with a Toyota which is known for its bulletproof reliability. Of course, a test drive would have brought in more clarity and helped in the decision making process.

While the current prices of both Innova Crysta and Fortuner may appear to be absurd and unreasonable and there is a difference of approximately INR 10 Lakhs, but being a Toyota you cannot go wrong with a Toyota considering the reliability, low maintenance costs, resale value, etc. that it offers.

I am conscious of the stiffer ride quality of the Fortuner as also the dimensions (particularly width and height) being significantly more than the Innova Crysta and that both are entirely different segments and price range.

Since either of the cars he chooses would be self-driven, would need your valuable inputs/ suggestions on picking the right car based on convenience, driving pleasure and any other factors that you may consider relevant.

Thank you in advance.
jbpanda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 10:20   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Hello All, While this is an old thread, I am reviving the question again and seek your suggestions in the present day considering that both the Innova Crysta and Fortuner have undergone substantial changes over the years.

He loved the Innova Crysta and also the captain seats in the middle row during his test drive. Though he could not get a test drive of the Fortuner but could not stop expressing his admiration for the new Fortuner in Black, one of which was parked outside the showroom.

While the current prices of both Innova Crysta and Fortuner may appear to be absurd and unreasonable and there is a difference of approximately INR 10 Lakhs, but being a Toyota you cannot go wrong with a Toyota considering the reliability, low maintenance costs, resale value, etc. that it offers.

I am conscious of the stiffer ride quality of the Fortuner as also the dimensions (particularly width and height) being significantly more than the Innova Crysta and that both are entirely different segments and price range.

Since either of the cars he chooses would be self-driven, would need your valuable inputs/ suggestions on picking the right car based on convenience, driving pleasure and any other factors that you may consider relevant.

Thank you in advance.
Unless you do bad roads often, the Innova is a better choice, both for the ride quality as well as space. Not to discount a much higher resale value.

You will find Innovas in most of India from deserts of Rajasthan to snows of Leh. Where Fortuner would trump is in really bad roads - large pits, mud, deep snow and a lot of sand, otherwise it is Innova all the way.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 02:21   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Unless you do bad roads often, the Innova is a better choice, both for the ride quality as well as space. Not to discount a much higher resale value.

Thanks so much Aroy for your suggestion. This is very helpful. In fact, we are finally going ahead with the Innova Crysta ZX MT considering it's practically, comfort, price difference and better resale.
Old 20th April 2021, 08:30   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He enjoys driving and does approximately about 1500-2000 kms per month on an average.

Since either of the cars he chooses would be self-driven, would need your valuable inputs/ suggestions on picking the right car bas
Quote:
we are finally going ahead with the Innova Crysta ZX MT considering it's practically, comfort, price difference and better resale.
If the budget is not a concern, I will definitely pick the Fortuner. If you don't need 4x4, you can pick the 2W but the difference in the driving between Fortuner & Innova is too much.

But if you have issues with the budget, do check the Auto Innova as well before committing the manual. Again, if the monies are an issue, I will pick an Auto GX over a manual V or Z.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:00   #127
BHPian

Between the two, I recommend to go with Innova ZX AT. I have travelled in my cousin's Innova extensively and also in Fortuner of my friend. Overall, both the Fortuner & Innova have sufficient room in the front and middle but the captain-seats of Innova are way more comfortable and superior to Fortuner's middle row which I found very bumpy. Cannot comment on the last row since I have never sat in them over longer distances. Don't think it would make much difference for shorter distances sitting in the last row.

Between the 2 choices, VFM quotient of Innova over Fortuner is unbeatable.
sam264_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:42   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If the budget is not a concern, I will definitely pick the Fortuner. If you don't need 4x4, you can pick the 2W but the difference in the driving between Fortuner & Innova is too much.

But if you have issues with the budget, do check the Auto Innova as well before committing the manual. Again, if the monies are an issue, I will pick an Auto GX over a manual V or Z.
Thank you, Turbanator. That was the original plan to go with 4x2 MT Fortuner but the practicability of driving around the Fortuner as compared to the Innova weighed more than anything else. Regarding the auto transmission, he has never driven one and in a city like Bhubaneswar where he does not often face bumper to bumper traffic, he prefers the manual and hence the ZX MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Between the 2 choices, VFM quotient of Innova over Fortuner is unbeatable.
Thank you, sam264_2000. Agree with you on the VFM quotient of the already overpriced Innova Crysta as compared to Fortuner. For the reasons as aforesaid, going with manual ZX variant.

Incidentally, the dealer refuses to budge on the exorbitant insurance quotes. The dealer agreed to reduce it marginally but still there is a price difference of INR 30,000 to INR 40,000 as compared to online quotes even after choosing a higher IDV and all addons. Hence, deciding to go ahead with insurance on our own.
jbpanda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 16:32   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Incidentally, the dealer refuses to budge on the exorbitant insurance quotes. The dealer agreed to reduce it marginally but still there is a price difference of INR 30,000 to INR 40,000 as compared to online quotes even after choosing a higher IDV and all addons. Hence, deciding to go ahead with insurance on our own.
One thing about insurance is that unless it is zero dep insurance, the IDV is 90% of the ex-showroom price. Please verify this from the insurance company. (This is the value they will give if the car is stolen and not the higher amount you insure it for).

Most of the showrooms will insure at a higher IDV value to boost the premium, but in my opinion that is useless as what you get is the IDV for the first few months and then the depreciated IDV.
Old 20th April 2021, 18:08   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
One thing about insurance is that unless it is zero dep insurance, the IDV is 90% of the ex-showroom price. Please verify this from the insurance company. (This is the value they will give if the car is stolen and not the higher amount you insure it for).

Most of the showrooms will insure at a higher IDV value to boost the premium, but in my opinion that is useless as what you get is the IDV for the first few months and then the depreciated IDV.

Yes, Aroy. I did compare that as well and also specifically asked the insurance team at the dealer about the IDV and name of the company which is providing the insurance. The dealer is taking about 23 L as the IDV and still the insurance quote is substantially higher as compared to IDV of about 24 L (the maximum IDV) which I used as benchmark for getting a quote online. On the basis of this, there is a difference of INR 30,000 to INR 40,000.
Old 20th April 2021, 19:44   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it will depend a lot on the use case here. I presume his travels will mostly involve city/highway driving as opposed to adventurous excursions involving bad/no roads. If so, Innova all the way for sheer comfort levels (especially, given his age) and of course, the money saved. Undoubtedly, the "desirability factor" is much higher in case of the Fortuner but once the novelty factor wears off, the higher levels of comfort/convenience offered by the Innova would be sorely missed, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If the budget is not a concern, I will definitely pick the Fortuner
I am not quite sure if budget should be the only factor here. A lot will depend on the use case, as cited above, unless it is an out-and-out "want vs. need" scenario.

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th April 2021 at 19:57.
Old 20th April 2021, 21:46   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I guess it will depend a lot on the use case here. I presume his travels will mostly involve city/highway driving as opposed to adventurous excursions involving bad/no roads. If so, Innova all the way for sheer comfort levels (especially, given his age) and of course, the money saved. Undoubtedly, the "desirability factor" is much higher in case of the Fortuner but once the novelty factor wears off, the higher levels of comfort/convenience offered by the Innova would be sorely missed, for sure.
Yes, you are right. It would be mostly city/ highway driving with occasional driving on village roads but definitely not adventurous/ off road trips. He thoroughly enjoyed the captain seats of Innova, though he will be mostly in the driver's seat except when we are travelling home in which case, it is me all the way. Budget was not a factor but better value, comfort and convenience/ practicability weighed over and above the Fortuner. Personally, the Fortuner looks brilliant on the exterior and gem of an engine (now with better power figures) but the interiors are very basic and dull and definitely does not justify the price tag.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 17:05   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since, I am in the market as well, I have created a small excel sheet comparing what is present in either the Innova and Fortuner (my preference is AT but for the MT as well feature differences remain same).

Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family-innova-vs-fortuner.png

The Innova in front of the Fortuner is certainly very VFM and adding comfort to the equation, the Innova is unbeatable at it's price point irrespective of other cars trying to compete with it like the Safari, Hector Plus. These cars have more blingy features but when it comes to built-to-last and overall peace of mind, the Innova is the undisputed King.

Fortuner has it's presence to show, few more features and not to forget the powerful engine! Somewhere Innova's taxi operator market presence offends people making them consider the Fortuner.

Both cars are good in their own ways, both are on the overpriced side, but at the same time both can do lakhs and lakhs of kilometers without troubling their owners. So choose which one suits you more, you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 27th April 2021 at 17:07.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 17:49   #134
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Since, I am in the market as well, I have created a small excel sheet comparing what is present in either the Innova and Fortuner
How do they stack up in terms of safety? I'd have that also included as a parameter while comparing cars.
Old 27th April 2021, 18:12   #135
Senior - BHPian

My Fortuner has completed 5500KM and I can say the best way to chose between two boils down to two factors. First the budget and second is whether you spend time being driven or you drive. If you like to drive, pick the Fortuner, erstwhile 2.8Innova had the power but doesnot offer the confidence of Fortuner. The 2.4 is simply no match to 500NM motor, also the steering is lot more direct in Fortuner. Come back seat, biggest factor that works in favor of Crysta is the bucket seats and head room on offer for tall passenger. On highways one would be doing higher speeds and I find the ride of Fortuner better, but at city speeds, softer suspension of Crysta is better.
Do note Insulation is much better in facelifted Fortuner.

Last edited by PrideRed : 27th April 2021 at 18:14.
PrideRed is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks