Current Fortuner 36 53.73%
New Face Lifted Fortuner 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 11:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner

OK, so I received a call from my Toyota dealership against a query I had posted to Toyota Bangalore, that the Fortuner I had booked about 45 days back, would be with me in the next 30 days.

Now, I am in 2 minds whether to go with the current generation Fortuner (as per excellent threads on the TOGO channel and others) or to wait for the new face-lifted Fortuner that we are discussing here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2437011 . Detailed photos of the New Fortuner can also be seen here - Toyota Fortuner IIMS 2011 Photo and Wallpaper Gallery

We have discussed some pros and cons of the New Fortuner here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2441247 and here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2441260

Now the serious dilemma continues -
1. If I stick to the old Fortuner, will I be at a loss and will it be able to retain its inherent value at the time of resale?
2. If I wait for the New Fortuner, will it be available in the next 6 months or will the wait be longer?

Seeking opinion of all friends, mods/GTO....
Old 1st August 2011, 11:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
OK, so I received a call from my Toyota dealership against a query I had posted to Toyota Bangalore, that the Fortuner I had booked about 45 days back, would be with me in the next 30 days.
Hi dkaile,
You can anyway guess my response.

Go for the current TFort - classic TFort as I call it.
For a few reasons:
- Not sure when it'll traipse on to Indian shores. Going by Toyota's priorities (Etios/Liva etc) it could be even 2 years ?

- The looks by George ! From my PoV.

- Not sure what will be finally launched here. There are differences in the Thai and Indonesian versions of the TFort. And when launched will the Indian version find favour with you compared to what you get currently. For eg the current TFort in India has a fuel tank capacity of 80 Lts and the Thai one 65 Lts (is it correctly mentioned on the Thai site ?). For me at least that's a heartbreak ! And so on...

- No great value add in the new one except the dash interated systems and some interiors - the like or dislike of which is very subjective/ person dependent.

My feel is that the current TFort will retain its resale value so if you want to trade in the current one later on.

So trust I have added to your cranial imbalance !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 11:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

I selected the current Fortuner for a very simple reason. Do we at least know approximate dates when new Fortuner is getting launched? I don't think none of us are sure or know anything about it. I did check with someone whom i know has connections inside Toyota (Although not a very high levels) and he was not able to find anything cooking, doesn't mean there is surely nothing cooking. So if you decide to wait the wait itself could be long.

So given the uncertainty of launch and unknown's i would recommend to go with current one.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 12:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

To add a little perspective -

THIS -

Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner-toyota-fortuner-silver1.jpg

or THIS -

Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner-2012-toyota-fortuner.jpg

Do also answer to the attached poll...
Old 1st August 2011, 12:28   #5
BHPian

Current Fortuner. You will have it in 30 days. The facelift isn't great IMHO. A par make-up job by the backup makeup artist. The interiors are different but the stuff that matters remains the same is what I read.
BBR_SHR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 13:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go with the existing one as you never know when will the new version come. Secondly, any new version will also be associated with Price Rise. Please remember that.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 13:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

I selected the new fortuner simply because one ends up future proofing one's investment. Let's say you sell the car 5 years hereon, other things being equal, you will probably derive more value in the sale.
That said, I do hope some of the new features must be appealing enough to justify spending the additional money (as compared to the current).
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 14:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not that the current T-Fort is bad looking, far from that. But the new one looks more grown up from the front and will have slightly updated interiors. So if you do not mind the wait, (there should be an announcement from Toyota at the Jan 2012 Auto Expo, hopefully) the new T-Fort gets my vote.
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 14:10   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you like automatics, which you probably should considering our driving conditions, wait until the year end. Toyota will be launching the Fortuner AT by then. Of course, don't expect cutting-edge tech as the box is a 4-speed. Still, can't beat the convenience of an AT mated to a diesel engine. Plus, it will by no means be slow as the 3 liter has superb BHP & torque ratings.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 14:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

@GTO/all others - Thanks for your replies.

Just to clarify, I would be preferring a manual transmission in either case, as this vehicle will rarely be used for in-city driving and I prefer a hands-on approach to my driving. I would prefer the newer updated version with manual transmission but am apprehensive of the time frame of it's launch.

Please keep the suggestions pouring...
Old 1st August 2011, 14:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

I dont see the Facelift Fortuner hitting indian shores soon and why toyota India should do it when its already selling like hotcakes.

there is no date not even approx date announced or hinted, so i dont understand why the confusion.

Remember, Fortuner was sold for ages in other markets before it was launched in india and Toyota also took years to finally launch it here.
simply_sunny001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 14:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just received this tweet reply from Hormazd Sorabjee -
Quote:
hormazdsorabjee Hormazd Sorabjee
Not this year. Early 2012 is my guess @dkaile Any time frame for the new Fortuner arriving in India?
Old 1st August 2011, 14:44   #13
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Now the serious dilemma continues -
1. If I stick to the old Fortuner, will I be at a loss and will it be able to retain its inherent value at the time of resale?
2. If I wait for the New Fortuner, will it be available in the next 6 months or will the wait be longer?

Seeking opinion of all friends, mods/GTO....
Your dilemma is valid. My take - New Fortuner. If you are in not much of a hurry (like me), i would suggest you to wait for the new one.

My points for this recommendation

Exterior
- Headlight washers
- HID Lights in the projectors (Low Beam)
- New Headlights + Prado type grill (Of course!!)
- New Alloys (I like the older design better), but new ones looks more sportier
- New Tail Lamps (Looks Retro)
- Turn Indicators on the ORVM
- Larger Bonnet scoop
The new exterior will make the new Fortuner standout from the other Fortuners (Fortuner Classic). The only negatives i see is that the Macho looks have softened and the bottom black strip looks like it is copied from a Vento.

Interior
- New ICE with Reverse Camera, GPS, Bluetooth
- New Steering Wheel (from the Altis?)
- AUX in socket
The modded interior will take away perceptions of sitting in an Innova

Heart & soul
- Now comes with Diamond Tech
- Power and Torque is the same with maximum torque being available at 3200 rpm instead of earlier 3400 rpm
- Possibility of AT with Cruise Control
The new Diamond Tech will help you save the earth ()

Other Points
- Waiting period for the Fortuner is down from earlier 6 months to now 2 1/2 months (45+30 days), which means that the supply has improved (Demand remaining constant).
- In the past year and a half, Toyota have been quicker in reacting to the market requirements. IMO, Toyota will bring in this face-lift model sooner to India than what experience tells us.
- If this happens, you will be kicking yourself for not waiting for the new model as the old model will lose out on re-sale value (unlike the Innova).
- Plus, you would end-up staring at every Facelifted Fortuner on the road and question your heart every time if you made the right decision.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 15:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Waiting period for the Fortuner is down from earlier 6 months to now 2 1/2 months (45+30 days), which means that the supply has improved (Demand remaining constant).
I was told by Globe Toyota in Mohali that waiting period is 8 months. Here in Bangalore, Ravindu Toyota told me 2 months (3 months if I want a white one).
Old 1st August 2011, 15:47   #15
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you prefer a manual there seems to be no point in waiting for the new one. The look and feature changes are minimal and AT option would be the biggest significant change.

You also don't know when the new one will arrive, and there will be a price hike associated with it. The current Fortuner will retain values fairly well - Well as Well as a 23L Rs. Vehicle can.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks