Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2013, 14:01   #61
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Looking for a SUV/MUV

wanderer

1) The Safari would be out of warranty while the Scorpio should be within warranty.
2) The Safari kms seem more reasonable for the period, while the Scorpio seems to have almost been on tourist duty considering the kms/year - Also you mention that the Scorpio will need a new coat of paint. Get a feeling that the Scorpio has not been maintained well though it is a new vehicle.
3) Feb 2008 Safari 2.2 Dicor would be among the first lot of Safari and hence could imply issues, Check the service histroy. Most things should have been taken care of within warranty. Even if it is now out of warranty it would have been better maintained if orginally it had the extended warranty that took it to 4 years.

Both the pricing are quite good. Safari should already be on the second battery and if it was recently changed it would not require a change, but if it is the original one then a change would definately be required. The Scorpio should also be able to manage without a change in battery if is from 2011, the battery may be low because it has not been in use for 2 months, and may last another 6-12 mths.

Check Tyres, see if one of them has a new set on already - That is a Rs. 40-50,000 saving. Suspension work should be due in both if not already done. Also both could be due a clutch change if not already done, and the same is true for timing belt change. So if one of the vehicles has some or all of this work already done they it could become a better bet.

You are not likely to get lesser used vehicles for less than 4L.

You are looking at Rs. 7000-9000 per service in both cases.
Old 28th March 2013, 16:22   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
wanderer

Both the pricing are quite good. Safari should already be on the second battery and if it was recently changed it would not require a change, but if it is the original one then a change would definately be required. The Scorpio should also be able to manage without a change in battery if is from 2011, the battery may be low because it has not been in use for 2 months, and may last another 6-12 mths.

Check Tyres, see if one of them has a new set on already - That is a Rs. 40-50,000 saving.
Hi ACM,

Thanks for your inputs. Well, as per normal logic even though it seems that tyres and batteries should be okay and would be on the second sets, but I have seen enough repossessed vehicles to know that things are not what they seem to be. The first things the repossessing agencies do is to change the good tyres, batteries, HU, speakers etc and put in bad, bald tyres and used old batteries and then only hand over the vehicles to the yard. So, invariably these are to be changed without even checking them.

Quote:
You are not likely to get lesser used vehicles for less than 4L.
Well, even with higher budgets, you wont get many low mileage vehicles here. The biggest problem around here is the high mileage of the vehicles like Safari and Scorpio.The culprit for this is the thriving practice of running private registered vehicles on tourist duties. You only have to employ a driver and contact some travel agency, you are good to go even without tourist permits. My budget is around 6 lakhs, but am still to find a vehicle (Safari / Scorpio) with less than 70K on the odo. So, finding a well maintained, self used vehicle is a big task requiring a lot of patience.

Quote:
You are looking at Rs. 7000-9000 per service in both cases.
I can live with that if that is only what the car will demand, i.e., the regular servicing. But, I hate those out of blue niggles which make one go to the ASC, repeatedly. Moreover, with a 50 year old CJ3B in the garage, I can not afford to have another attention grabbing vehicle.

So, all in all, lets see how it goes. Overall, the final costing for the vehicles would be close to 4.00 lakhs all inclusive. I might go for one only if it is in very good condition mechanically and is available cheap. Otherwise, it does not make any sense to buy a repossessed vehicle as the actual cost after everything balloons up considerably.

But, my original confusion still remains, i.e., to go for the Safari or the Scorpio...

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 28th March 2013 at 16:26.
Old 28th March 2013, 16:27   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Why repossessed? Why not a normal Preowned vehicle. In which case I would suggest that a Safari GX or VX of 2010 with 1.5 year warranty still on hand for about 6L would be better. The Same is true of the Scorpio if you are smaller built and can live with the dynamics. Safari is a bigger pleasure to drive around inspite of poorer Acc due to it's heavier weight, while the Scorpio somehow has lesser niggles and hence lesser visits to the ASS.
Old 28th March 2013, 16:41   #64
BHPian

Well, am not trying for only repossessed. But, if you are lucky sometimes you get real deals of a steal while buying repossessed. However, I am even trying for normal preowned. The problem, as I have found out, is finding a low mileage one. Here, most 2 to 2.5 year old Safari / Scorpios that come up for sale have around 70-80K on the odo and priced around 6.00 to 6.5 L being "new vehicles". But, I don't find them worthwhile as most of these have run as cabs at some point. And there are people who buy them up for being "new" vehicles simply because of the year of registration is recent. So, my hunt is on for a genuinely personally used vehicle or at least a repossessed one with a slightly higher mileage at a steal, so that I can spend some more and bring it up to my liking.

Safaris are less used as cabs, so my best bet might be a Safari EX or GX as you've said.
Old 1st June 2013, 16:31   #65
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My professor currently drives a BMW 525d and is looking for a SUV as a second vehicle for daily use.His budget is between 20-25 lakhs.

He is not a big fan of the Fortuner.

Kindly advice.

Cheers.
Old 1st June 2013, 20:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

If not Fortuner then Pajero Sport, unless he likes automatic then Santa Fe is an option.

Most Viewed