Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Brand New Yeti or Well Kept Used Tucson?
Brand New Yeti Elegance 75 71.43%
Very Well Kept Used Hyundai Tucson 30 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 20:05   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Shankar,

From my point of view one should not go for an
1. Out of production car, which never had decent number in sales chart.
2. Old car, when buying new car is an option
3. Old tech car, when they have an option go for latest technology car
4. Non German car, when have an option to Choose true German car in same segment
Old 10th September 2011, 20:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

how about the honda jazz does it suite your requirements?
more importantly does it pass the golf bag test ?
It is quit a spacious / practical car.But again no diesel , zero off roading capability .
Old 10th September 2011, 20:33   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Shankar, if A.S.S. is an issue, you should NOT buy a Yeti. Skoda's horror stories are the stuff of legend around here. Hyundai service is decent- have experienced it personally in Bangalore.

But Tucson is an obsolete vehicle. Unless you are getting it for peanuts, I wouldn't suggest anyone buy one.

You have explained why you're not open to other vehicles in this segment. Endy, Captiva, Force One, etc.?
Old 10th September 2011, 20:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

The balance here seems to be one of two different risks.

1. The risk of Skoda service, which other than the price, seems like its only fallacy. By the way, a good part of that exorbitant price is thanks to Karnataka Govt. You must be paying almost 4L over the ex-showroom price for the Yeti.

2. The risk of buying a inherently good, but obselete and possibly worrisome used car. To add to this the not exactly good reputation of Hyundai with respect to spare part prices.

At this point, this thread doesnt seem like it will do you much good. At the end of the day you have to decide which side of the balance you favour.
Old 10th September 2011, 20:54   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll not vote either way but why did the original owner have to get clutch changed at odo less than 50K??
Old 10th September 2011, 21:27   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Between the two Yeti,

Overall suggest you wait.

A few points.

1) The Yeti is new, more reliable, easire to get service for than the tucson, besides without the DSG and AT it would also be even more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

2) Yeti comes with 4 years warranty (with extended option)

3) Yes all the other options are longer, but today even with bulk they can be eastier to manage than earlier, so an Aria is much more easier to manage compared to Safari and the new offers from M&M will be similarly easier to mange compared to the Scorpio. So do check them out by driving them.

4) Yet nothing will be as sedan like as the Yeti across the range. If it pleases you sufficently go for it. It is still not the best fit but close enough to you needs. Or Else wait some more.
Old 10th September 2011, 22:00   #37
BHPian

The Yeti checks all your boxes other than the intriguing golf bag test. But for that you have the varioflex seating to give you all the flexibility you need. The Yeti is a delightful vehicle to own and drive and that for me is all that it takes. Take the plunge and you won't regret it.
Old 10th September 2011, 22:17   #38
BHPian

close you eyes and choose Yeti - You won't repent.
Tucson is very capable but it's of previous generation. It's not in production anymore and that in itself should answer why it's available for such a low price.
Yeti wont go out of style for another 5-6 years atleast and it's one of the most sensible softroader out there.
My extended family has a Yeti and I have personally done over 1000Kms in it during our annual car swaps. Trust me, it just Sweet !!!
Old 11th September 2011, 05:45   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

still pondering.
mostly the golf bag + trolley + couple of suitcases + large picnic coldbox.
all these as of now fit very well into the rear of the scorpio.
at a pinch they will squash into the tuc
in the yeti there's no way they will without the seats folded down

theres one thing I dont quite like in the yeti which is that the centre armrest at the rear, if folded down, simply leaves a large and gaping hole through which the boot and its contents become visible.

next consideration is pricing.

the Yeti comes in at 21.05 on road which means a loan is required. I dont like taking large loans.

the used Tuc at around 9ish and no loan will be taken.

got to think deeply before committing

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Is it simply the "golf bag test" or does the Yeti's spaciousness fail on other counts too compared to Tucson??

You seem to be the one tearing the hair out, but the voting public seems squarely in favour of the Yeti.
Old 11th September 2011, 05:52   #40
BANNED

most tucson clutches as far as I understand need to get replaced around the 45K mark. (I believe this is required even for the Scorpio) - preventive maintenance in some measure - since this car is very well kept and looked after, sometimes I think the owner prefers to just change as per the service centre recommendation.
its been maintained at one of the better establishments here (authorized) and the complete history of the vehicle is there to see.
new battery and brand new tyres too.
overall very carefully kept vehicle in comparison to the several others I ve seen in the used market.
in this one even the headlamp covers, though original, havent lost their original sheen whereas all the others I saw, have faded, milky headlamp covers.
again the huge comfort is that I know the owner and we have a large number of common friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I'll not vote either way but why did the original owner have to get clutch changed at odo less than 50K??
Old 11th September 2011, 06:47   #41
BHPian

I voted for the Tucson!

We all know that the Yeti is a lot better vehicle. But we should also consider the price difference. A Tuc at 9 lacs is a lot more vfm than a Yeti at 21 lacs.

Obviously the biggest concern is used vs. new. But in my opinion if you know the owner and the car well then you shouldn't be worried. You are only going to keep it for 2-3 years anyway and would still be able to sell it for around 5-6 lacs then (rough guess).

There are threads on the long term reviews section on this site for Tucson. Have you taken a look at them already? Going through them would definitely help you.

All the best!
Old 11th September 2011, 09:30   #42
BANNED

thanks a lot for the various points of view guys

the balance for me personally, is swaying strongly in favour of the used tuc rather than the new yeti.

The main points in my consideration:

1. well known owner and vehicle- same clubs-same extended friends circle
2. carefully looked after vehicle and consistent steps taken in preventive maintenance rather than disaster maintenance - new Battery, new Tyres, new Clutch and changed ABS chip because warning light kept coming on unnecessarily. I like the way that this car has been treated - with affection and yet used well. Resonates a lot with the way I like to take care of my vehicle.
3. every move of that vehicle is recorded in a book - true mileage with zero fiddling unlike the dealer sale vehicles of the same type
4. no broker commissions/ fees and other irritations
5. overall very nice price for me - i somehow still cannot come to terms easily with this 20 lac business as an individual for a vehicle. Affordability, repayment etc IS possible but the overall time cost of money and value proposition doesnt get me going gung ho on these 20 lac type vehicles.
6. no loan required hence peace of mind
7. in general a good relationship between the car owner and hyundai service which can be extended to me
8. very good vehicle in terms of my need state and want state - right size, spacious enough for my stuff, all relevant safety and security features are present and correct and in good state of repair.
9. can happily buzz around in it for another 2-3 years or so at which time there should be many more options worth considering
10. some interesting basic comfort related mods can be attempted in this vehicle at no great cost - which mods include nice grey leather seats etc.
11. will provide me with the realization of a dream - I always liked and wanted a Tucson but brand new in India it was way over priced and at that moment in time in 2005, unaffordable for me.
12.The Tuc is a good handling vehicle with reasonable off road capability and Hyundai engines are strong and capable of running a happy 100,000 kms without generally causing trouble.

Hence the thing is to just wait for it to be ready for sale - another month or two, during which time I think I can start looking for a good owner for my Scorpio and say bye bye to it.

I think this thread and poll can be shut down for the moment.
Will begin another new thread when the deal is done.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th September 2011 at 09:33.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 17:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

As you are getting the Tucson without any loan, I gather you are getting it in the 6-10L range. At that price a large 4x4, especially a known vehicle is a steal.

Another point to note is that after 5 years even if the value would goes down to half the present price you loose 4L for Tucson, while in case of a Yeti you loose 10L+. Add to that higher costs of Insurance, your cost of ownership, apart from fuel and maintenance will be in the range of 12L, while for Tuscon it will be around 5L.

In case of Yeti, it may be an excellent vehicle, but the Skoda A.S.S. spoils it all. Another thing I have noticed, is that no matter how good their engineering, European vehicles require quite a lot of outlay for their maintenance.
. The parts have less than half the life of Japanese/Korean parts.
. The parts are in general twice as expensive.
. The AC never seems to work properly, and requires extensive repairs much faster
. The service centers have the attitude, that customer is to be squeezed at every instance.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 19:55   #44
BANNED

as today progressed into night my decision became firmer than ever
the Hyundai Tuc it is. perfect for me and mine.
will happily use it for 2-3 years and then we will see what happens.
this second hand business is a pretty efficient way to avoid horrendous depreciation related issues and makes a lot of sense if one wants to go to a higher level of vehicle with less pain overall in terms of financials etc.
hence I will stand by this decision I ve made.
Am glad for the few affirmations from the friends on the Forum and the various offline conversations I ve been having with my other pals and of course people like my Dad and so on.
Tuc - here we go!!!
Yeti - sorry bud but maybe next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As you are getting the Tucson without any loan, I gather you are getting it in the 6-10L range. At that price a large 4x4, especially a known vehicle is a steal.

Another point to note is that after 5 years even if the value would goes down to half the present price you loose 4L for Tucson, while in case of a Yeti you loose 10L+. Add to that higher costs of Insurance, your cost of ownership, apart from fuel and maintenance will be in the range of 12L, while for Tuscon it will be around 5L.

In case of Yeti, it may be an excellent vehicle, but the Skoda A.S.S. spoils it all. Another thing I have noticed, is that no matter how good their engineering, European vehicles require quite a lot of outlay for their maintenance.
. The parts have less than half the life of Japanese/Korean parts.
. The parts are in general twice as expensive.
. The AC never seems to work properly, and requires extensive repairs much faster
. The service centers have the attitude, that customer is to be squeezed at every instance.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 20:09   #45
BHPian

My simple calculation. Not having a monthly EMI sword hanging over your head is a very big advantage. And since the Tuscon is from a known person & is well looked after there will be no better deal. Use the money saved on EMI's to invest in good growth option Mutual Funds (or directly in the market if you are active) & 4 yrs down the line you will have enough cash to buy a High End SUV on outright basis.

Your running is also very low. Most of the problems in today,s vehicles stem from electronics & related items. basic mechanicals are well sorted out as long as you adhere to the recommended service schedule. And quality of hyundai is basically good. So routine maintenance & some preventive work should catch all problems in advance.

I personally want to go in for a second hand Grand Vitara but am hesitating as all models on the market are from unknown/through dealer sources so I find it dicey.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 11th September 2011 at 20:13.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks