Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Brand New Yeti or Well Kept Used Tucson?
Brand New Yeti Elegance 75 71.43%
Very Well Kept Used Hyundai Tucson 30 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 18:15   #61
BHPian

Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hey!
thanks
Heart says yeti head says Tuc - because of the financial angle.
what is wty?

and TIN.
Jan 2012 because I might be able to pull off a deal on a 2011 manufactured yeti.
but if the tuc becomes available earlier then I might just settle for that for another 2 years or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
thanks!
the loan climate is horrible right now.
11.5% car loan (brand new)
16.5% (used car)
18.5% (personal loan)
11-12% - (home loan)
Buying a new Yeti would mean I will take around 10 lacs loan.
I would be paying approx 30000 per month if the loan tenure is around 4 years or so.
At the end of the period I would have paid quite a bomb towards both interest as well as insurance and the other aspect of huge depreciation. generally not worth it in this scenario.
these expensive cars tend to depreciate a huge amount over 4 years as I ve noticed, so in a way it is good to become a second owner thereby taking advantage of this fact.

Hi Shankar, My 2cents: You sell Scorp, buy Tuc and sell the Tuc after 2yrs again and buy something else. Do you really need this headache ?

See if you can get some sweet deals on 2011 models of Yeti sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. Buy one keep it for 7-10yrs. Peace of mind.

Of course only if you can re-work on your finances.

For 7.7L am paying an EMI of 17k for 5yrs tenure @ the rate of 2210/Lakh. So if you are going for a loan of 10L am sure it would be around 23K.

Last edited by 2500cc : 12th September 2011 at 18:21.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:57   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

thanks but i dont think the Yeti will suit me after all that deliberation. I do love it and all that but somehow the 21 lacs price is giving me the shivers.

Frankly while the EMI may be easy to handle I dont want such a fat loan on my head. thats why Im considering outright purchase of used SUV. I dont like company cars and all that - I ve always preferred if possible to own and drive my own vehicles as far as possible even though I may be a bit outdated and will not be in the same flash level as other chaps simiilar to me who may have company cars. I prefer to look at the utility aspect and price level as per my needs rather than any other consideration when considering any vehicle.

The other consideration is the huge depreciation hit I will take as first owner + the large insurance premium payouts that I will be bound to make. I d prefer to avoid that if possible because I would lose out in terms of interest, depreciation and the high insurance payments.

Yes 2 years down the line there will be a headache to sell the Tuc and buy something else and I know I will lose around 3 lacs via further depreciation but I think I will live with that because it seems the lesser evil of the two to me.

I tend to get bored with any vehicle 3 odd years into its regular daily usage - this is something I ve noticed in myself. Hence I dont think I can buy and keep a Yeti for 7 years anyway. I will be bound to get bored.

Hence instead of putting down a 9-10 lac downpayment and then paying a 23-25 K EMI, I will now effectively be paying in full and thus, losing around 10K per month through depreciation on the vehicle purchased outright.

I can use that 25K per month as a special Holiday Fund for myself instead of paying it to some bank or finance company along with the usurious interest rates they are charging nowadays.

Then 2-3 years into Tuc ownership I am sure there will be lots of compact SUV options for me to try out. Just that I dont want to wait that long while still driving my 2.6 Scorp.

My Scorp if sold now, will be able to fetch its maximum value in the used market (perhaps if Iam lucky, around 5.5-5.75 or so because it is extremely well kept and still under extended warranty). If I hang on to it some more, it will only keep losing its value and I will still be paying EMI's for another year or so. I dont want to pay these EMI's if I can help it. I am kind of tired of loans and things for these depreciating assets like cars.

I do appreciate all the time and effort taken by everyone on the forum who has been kind enough to reply to this thread but all things considered, I do believe I ve made my decision in my head now. All that remains is to execute it properly over then next couple of months.

Of course in case the deal falls through for any reason then I will still be buzziing around in my Scorp. Or if there is some terrible recession and it makes more sense to hold on to my money rather than spend it away or something. But one hopes that these negatives shall not come to pass!

so wish me luck and lets hope i get what I want and get to enjoy it for another couple years or so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi Shankar, My 2cents: You sell Scorp, buy Tuc and sell the Tuc after 2yrs again and buy something else. Do you really need this headache ?

See if you can get some sweet deals on 2011 models of Yeti sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. Buy one keep it for 7-10yrs. Peace of mind.

Of course only if you can re-work on your finances.

For 7.7L am paying an EMI of 17k for 5yrs tenure @ the rate of 2210/Lakh. So if you are going for a loan of 10L am sure it would be around 23K.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th September 2011 at 19:02.
Old 12th September 2011, 20:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Shankar, you are doing the right thing!

If you think about it, in a 3 years horizon, if you have to sell it for 4L less, you are not loosing any money, as the difference in Insurance will be some 1L and the interest paid for loan of 15L at least 4L, so in effect the Tucson is FREE as long as you get it for 8L and sell it for 3L, any better deal and you have made some money by not getting a new SUV.

Of course those who have the money, can indulge in the luxury of getting a new SUV, without bothering about cost of ownership.
Old 12th September 2011, 21:58   #64
BANNED

guess i will do it then and see what happens.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Shankar, you are doing the right thing!

If you think about it, in a 3 years horizon, if you have to sell it for 4L less, you are not loosing any money, as the difference in Insurance will be some 1L and the interest paid for loan of 15L at least 4L, so in effect the Tucson is FREE as long as you get it for 8L and sell it for 3L, any better deal and you have made some money by not getting a new SUV.

Of course those who have the money, can indulge in the luxury of getting a new SUV, without bothering about cost of ownership.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I like the Tucson too, except in the department of ease of maintenance. At the risk of repeating myself...

...things like clutch, brake components, driveshafts, turbo, engine / GB mounts etc. will need attention during your ownership period, and all these are freakishly expensive as well as difficult to procure, even directly from Hyundai. You might want to research this aspect more closely with dealers/service centres in your local area before investing in the Tucson, however well-maintained the vehicle you have in mind may be.
Tucson Spares are reasonable priced when compared to the spare prices of similar cars.

I have got a number of parts recently replaced in my Tucson. The following is the consolidated cost of spares during each replacement exercise. ( cost of parts excluding labour charges )

I did not have to wait for the spares even for a day. All spares were readily available with the ASC. ( except for a headlight levelling switch which took some 4-5 days )

1) Clutch assembly ( Clutch plate, pressure plate, bearing , flywheel, slave cylinder ) - Total Rs. 18251

2) Timing belt + serpentine belt +idler + tensioner + Hydraulic mount + radiator hose - Total Rs. 22000

3) Backup switch - Rs. 900

4) Front wiper rubber blade x 2 - Total cost Rs. 380

5) Air filter - Rs 412

6) Oil filter - Rs 445

Hope this clarifies that maintenance of Tucson is not really expensive and i guess it will remain the same for 1-2 years to come or even more.

So Shankar, dont worry about this part and take the plunge. Looking forward to see another Tucson in the forum.

Last edited by kamal.sn : 12th September 2011 at 22:56.
Old 12th September 2011, 23:57   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Shankar, what's your current mileage on the Scorpio over what period?
Old 13th September 2011, 01:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Shankar!

Congrats for the decision. I would have probably taken the same decision if I had been in your shoes.

Not because of the EMI thing. Although I am enjoying a rare EMI free time for a salaried peron, I am not averse to it. Though I would only take loan for either home or car.

The real reason I support your decision is because I can't see myself paying 21 lacs for Yeti sized car (its just too less a car for the money). I anyway have mindset problem (dunno if a good one or bad one), once we start counting north of 20 lacs, I start thinking of 'the holy trinity'.. Its high quality for sure but Skoda A.S.S (if not real problem, at least a fear factor), pint size, doesn't look like an SUV, price:--> Basically too many spoilers.

Enjoy the ride. BTW, when are your closing the deal?
Old 13th September 2011, 06:25   #68
BANNED

kamal - thanks for the heads up and encouragement. even I cant wait to get into that driving seat!
red liner - ive done 45000 km in my Scorpio 2.6LX. 2008 April model. Its got its warranty on until April 2012 so whoever takes it from me should be peaceful.
Abhi - thanks. Being EMI free is a good thing. Allows one to focus on whats really important in life - the pursuit of happiness! For me, if this goes through in November I will be free of EMI's for the first time in 6 years and that will really feel nice. Its not wrong to take loans - just that some of us dont like the feeling of being in debt to some bank or financial institution - at least for some portion of one's life! All going well we hope to do the deal in early Nov once my friend gets his new vehicle. Will share more later on another thread once ownership of the Tuc takes place.
anyway over the next 45-50 days I shall buzz around test driving the VLX AT Scorp, the Force One and all these buses. Just to get an idea if at all Im missing anything. Purely for research and information purposes. No intent to purchase these.

fingers toes and eyes crossed as they say!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th September 2011 at 06:26.
Old 13th September 2011, 15:41   #69
BHPian

Shankar
I was the guy who used to love the Tucson, from the day it was launched. Sadly could not afford it then. But I got my hands on mine (a used one)last year and Boy, I have enjoyed it.

This car rocks. Solid looks, good features, Ergonomics are excellent and there is a great Diesel Engine to boot. Mine came choc a bloc with accessories, sunroof, Stanley Leather et al. I tried 7-8 samples, one is there as the pic in the review section of the tuc , but when I found this one, I loved it.Look for one with nice upkeep.About the Tuc
It is quite simple, when it was launched , It was the most premium SUV, but with the advent of the Germans, now those buyers have little use of the tucs and you can get a good deal.

The cost of maintenance is reasonable, In my case, apart from Clutch assembly overhaul@ 70K on the odo (parts ordered and recieved in one week, cost 14000/-all incl) there has been zero expense. The Service bill hovers around 4-5 k includes polish, wash and everything else a service does. I love Maruti and Hyundai as service brands and have bitter experience from rest Including Skoda.
Old 13th September 2011, 16:36   #70
AVR
BHPian

If you were to buy a new SUV, I think holding on for 3-4 months makes sense given the slated launches of the Merlin and XUV5 oh oh but if you are ok with a used one then go ahead with the Tucson. Have had a Tucson for a year now. Absolutely hassle free since we got it serviced and changed the clutch plate post purchase.

Given that you drive a Scorpio, you are bound to appreciate the handling of a Tucson which is awesome in one word. Driving it around for a few years won't pinch you financially and hopefully you'll have a better budget and many more options few years down the line.

Good luck!

Adi
Old 13th September 2011, 17:36   #71
BHPian

Shankar... I have not owned a used Tuc, but have owned a used Elantra. I guess the two cars share the engine and some of the gizmos. The Elantra was the best car I have owned in my life.

On the loan part, its great to be EMI free. I am enjoying such a time now because I bought a Fiesta SXi (Pre classic) outright instead of a new Optra Magnum or Cruze.

Why give a away a good chunk of your salary as interest to the bank? Invest it elsewhere and use it up to go on a long drive holiday on your Tuc.

As someone has already mentioned, even if you sell the Tuc at a much lower price few years down the line, you dont stand to lose much. The happiness you derive from being loan-free, the money saved by not paying interest, the felling of owning a Tuc (which I believe is one of your dreams) etc are priceless and would surely nullify the effect of depreciation. Afterall its not only money that can give you satisfaction. Buy the Tuc, enjoy it for few years, and then think of other options. All the best.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:42   #72
BANNED

rohit - thanks for the encouragement. good feedback there which I shall surely use.
AVR - its not really the budget - its more of my own perception of VFM and what is not plus a certain disinclination to spend big bucks by taking a loan that are prompting me to go the used route. Thanks for the feedback on the Tuc - I will take that in.
Basil - thanks for the feedback.

However, having said all of this, I cannot buy this particular car much as I may want to, because apparently I should not (according to my Mum) buy certain colours of vehicle. This point completely rules out this particular Tucson.

Hence, while I want A Tucson, it cannot be this one, so for me, it is back to the hunt again. Luckily Im not in a tearing hurry as of this moment. I would like to change soon but not unless I find a vehicle that suits me in all respects.

Lets see what destiny holds in store on this front then for me!
Old 13th September 2011, 21:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

@shankar , I dont have any advice . But reading from last 5 pages ,I can see you want a TUCSON badly and be EMI free. Just go get it .All the best for searching a TUCSON .
Old 13th September 2011, 21:41   #74
BHPian

Go for the Yeti! Hmm how can you even ask this when every member here loves the word yeti!!! If you are the high flying kind, you could use it to land your plane, if Jeremy wasnt lying! There one on my street, Its neat.

P.s: I have not even sat on one, I do not know about skoda service but from here, I do not know it, I would never buy it etc. but, If I had to choose between them both, on the same qualifications of suggesting, Yeti it is. What Hyundai? * grin*
Old 14th September 2011, 06:33   #75
BANNED

black - yep I want a Tuc because it is the right sort of vehicle - there is nothing else as of now which can be compared to it. However, Im not about to burn bucks just because I want the Tuc. Will only buy if I find another one of an equally good provenance.

yaejay - No comparison between the Tuc and the Yeti really I know, in more senses of the word than one. Both have their strengths and weak points. However, the Tuc meets my need/want state more closely as of now and the Yeti falls a bit short. But I have not yet ruled it out, given yesterday's setback.

Anyways no particular hurry. Am going to chill for a bit longer and see.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed