Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2006, 14:13   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
In case of long reach if the gear lever does not need excess force(like the indigo and indica gear levers do) it should be okay.
I really do not know why you always insist that the Indica gear lever requires excess force. It truely beats me. In fact I gotta have you drive my car sometime... you know just to confirm that it is not so I even asked my friend who drives a Santro to check whether he finds it hard to shift on my car. He said no (he also looked a bit amazed as he also had this notion that Indica shifts require some work).

In fact I shift between 3rd and 4th (both up and down) with two finger, index and middle (and thats no exaggeration). Rest of them require a gentle nudge. Thats about it. I am sure even the Indigo shifts have to be similar (aren't they the same in both the cars?).
Old 10th March 2006, 14:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Indigo shifts are actually a little better. But both these cars have rubbery shifts which occasionally get hard. Many times I can shift with little force, but the times I cant my shoulder does owww.
If you look at the santro or getz gearshift, you will see that they are precise all the time. If I go for a new Tata diesel, the gearshift will not be hard for first 15-20000kms but after that it tends to get that.
Moreover if you really want to know how comfortable the egronimics are, ask a lady to drive the car. I used to think indica is very very comfortable to drive till my wife started driving it .
I need a gearshift where the gear is silky smooth, like the 118 NE. And as for the little nudge, its a strict no no for 6 months. the docs told me, too many nudges and he''ll put me in the sling again. .
Also my wife gets neck pain while driving as the throw is long. I dont have that problem, as I have longer arms, but since she also drives quite a bit, the gear lever positioning should be more towards the driver so that fifth gear shifting does not require full extension of the arm. Talked to my friends wife also, she also has the same problem with indica gear throw length.
Egronomics is a tough thing, and I am yet to find a car that balances it well between short and tall people!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 10th March 2006 at 14:24.
Old 10th March 2006, 14:37   #33
BHPian

TSK,
Why dont you take a look at the Lancer Diesel? Decently powerd but most importantly matches your requirement of ergonomics. The gear shift is amazing as is the power steering.
Old 10th March 2006, 14:43   #34
Team-BHP Support

I was under the impression that its an underpowered non Turbo IDI engine?
Old 10th March 2006, 15:05   #35
BHPian

just a thought, tsk - why not get a used petrol hatch (like santro, getz, swift) to drive around while you nurse your shoulder back to normal and then go for a diesel later on ...

the money saved can go towards the petrol bills for the time being ...
Old 10th March 2006, 15:11   #36
Team-BHP Support

Later on also we want a diesel which my wife also finds comfortable to drive. thats why waiting for June July as till then lot many options may come in.
So as of now she does the heavy traffic drives and I take over where it does not need many gearshifts or parkings.
Not going for a second hand car now because we think its better to save up in the next few monts so that we can slightly stretch our budget too.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I was under the impression that its an underpowered non Turbo IDI engine?
It seems a trifle underpowered but is easy to drive in the city and the highway. Do take a test drive of the lancer . Do not know the current prices but they are under huge discounts for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks