Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2006, 21:24   #1
BHPian

Help me Pick a SUV !!

Hi All

I would require some serious help from you guys. I am planning to pick up a second hand SUV. i am planning to go for a GYPSY !! but most of my friends want me to be away from the gypsy, they say its too expensive ie: when it comes to drinking petrol, more over they say that riding ai't that comfortable, but i just love the gypsy and have big time plans of modifying it...i don't want to go for the Sierra coz its too outdated and not my kind of car...i also have the Bolero in my mind but my love for the gypsy goes on increasing every day..Pls help !!!
Old 9th March 2006, 21:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

What abt the old Safari?? It'll look hot with the mods
Old 9th March 2006, 21:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
What abt the old Safari?? It'll look hot with the mods
Ya it is but i have heard that the Safari tends to give out problems after couple of years so don't want to take a risk in that
Old 9th March 2006, 22:04   #4
BHPian

With the amount of times you've said 'Gypsy' in your 1st thread......... i think you should go in for it..... hi-running costs aside..... will it be your daily drive?

I recently drove around Goa in a friends Gypsy and had a ball, especially in 4WD mode on the sandy areas near the beaches!!!

I kike the gypsy a lott too......... if it's not gonna be a daily drive and you don't mind the high mantainence and running costs then go for it!!!

Last edited by Edmund : 9th March 2006 at 22:05.
Old 9th March 2006, 22:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

How could you miss the Mahindra Classic. Its a wonderful SUV. You can get one dirt cheap for Rs. 1.5L and spend another 1.5L to mod it and in 3L there you are you get a wonderful SUV which will never let you down.
Old 9th March 2006, 23:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

look at the bolero camper. You may need to play a bit with the interiors and the engine though.
Old 10th March 2006, 08:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dude, go in for the Gypsy with a 1.3 L engine....since resale is very low, u could pick one up real cheap, so in the larger scheme of things, running costs should even out since the initial outlay would be low.

Plus older generation second hand diesels tend to give problems, tehreby negating any advantage u gain at the pumps.

I did a drive from Manali to leh and back to Delhi in a gypsy King MPFi....believe me NO CAR (or SUV) in India can even come close to the gypsy. Heck with 4L engaged, this car is a mountain goat. Also, on the plains, with speeds inthe region of 90-100, it averaged 13 -14 KPL....not too bad I think. within city, it averages about 9.

The only problem si a stiff ride, but then with alternatives like the Classic and the Invader, they are not much better.

So go with ur heart and by the Gypsy....U wont regret it

P.S. and added advantage is a bomb of an engine, great reliability and maruti's brilliant service.
Old 10th March 2006, 13:01   #8
BANNED

Hey Jango, I've had a Gypsy King for over 8 years and before that we had an old Gypsy.

The fuel consumption is a bit high (8kmpl in city traffic with A/C), but to me, it was worth every rupee. No other car has been as much fun for me to drive (except my GTO Twin Turbo in New Zealand). And no other Indian "SUV" can even pretend to match the Gypsy in offroading abilities, except some of the Mahindras, but they don't even come close in terms of the peppiness that a Gypsy has.

Sold it last year and I still miss my jeep. The only reason we haven't bought another one is because it doesn't have power steering, and that makes it a pain for my parents to park (we put bigger tyres for better grip).

Dude, go for it...a Gypsy is a Gypsy.
Old 10th March 2006, 19:42   #9
BHPian

Hey guys thanks a lot for ur reply, and mostly i will be using the SUV only during weekends coz on regular days i have my company cabs come to pick me up....Also could someone suggest me which model should i go for also the price that is expected ?? I would prefer the soft top, also can i convert a hard top gypsy to a soft top one !!
Old 11th March 2006, 00:49   #10
BANNED

Jango, try and get the new Gypsy King MPFI. I don't know what year they started making MPFI because we had the old carburettor 1.3 litre, but the difference is huge - 65 vs 85 hp!

Also, go for the soft top itself because its cheaper than the hardtop in the first place.
Old 11th March 2006, 00:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dont our madmen do B-Gypsys like they do B-Zens?????
Old 7th April 2006, 23:59   #12
BHPian

how much should i shell out for a gypsy !! in one of the advt i have seen an owner ask for 1.40l. I think the cost is too high...what say all
Old 8th April 2006, 07:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Which year model is it and how many kms has it done ??
Old 8th April 2006, 09:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Jango,

Forget the Gypsy. Its commercial value has eroded over the years. It is still being brought by the forces or Govt sectors like Police, Forest etc.

Look at a practical SUV like the Bolero or Scorpio that will give you economy of diesel. Or if you want a more macho look, try to get an Willy's or cooper cut chassis(Plenty in kerala or chennai-Military scrap)

Then convert mechanicals and look and improve fit & Finish. All will cost just below a lakh.Please be advised that you will get excellant biceps and triceps riding this. You can also save your money and time on excercise (Joking)
Old 8th April 2006, 10:30   #15
BHPian

jango go for the gypsy ... trust me you wont regret it, its one of the best off roader avaliable in the country today. & except for the fule bill you have nothing to worry about:-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks