Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Used SUV for ~10 lakhs

Couple more points:
Despite what my Avatar says, I am based in Bangalore. So the prices mentioned are Bangalore cars and prices

The price for the x-trail is inclusive of a 1.2L budgetted for replacing the turbo. There is a whine from the turbo and I am assuming the worst case scenario of replacing it. The dealership, which checked it, also mentioned possibility of replacement in some time. x-trails have a propensity to blow turbo's.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
Greetings all!

I currently have a Mondeo which I love and am very happy with. I am looking for a second vehicle (used), which needs to be an SUV for comfortable long distance travel with family and luggage. Our vacations tend to be in out of the way places which are sometimes are not accessible, and almost always very difficult to get to, by car.
How about the Scorpio LX 4x4. It'll be a no-nonsense, no-frills vehicle without all the electronic thingamajigs in the top end variant, thus increasing the probability of being more reliable. It'll also cost you less than 10L on road.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launched.html

EDIT: Just saw your post about you being in Bangalore; then the OTR price won't stay below 10L for sure.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd November 2011 at 19:01.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Think again about Pajero.

. It has the best and toughest suspension of the lot. Gentle when required, but tough enough to weather bad roads with aplomb.
. cruising at 120 is a no brainer. It may be slightly slower, but not much.
. The 4x4 is one of the best this side of 30L (new). It is good old world mechanical shift with no electricals.
. It comes with most most goodies - leather seats, LSD, excellent visibility, meters galore

The best part is that it designed for off roads, hence no compromise (except the engine). Even then the engine is bullet proof.

Unless you want to belt down highways at 140+, Pajero is the best all rounder. That is one of the reasons for its high resale value. There are a couple of threads by members who have bought new Pajero, and they are all unanimous on the praise.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:36   #19
Team-BHP Support

Re: used SUV

Quote:
Thanks. I discounted the Pajero for it's lethargic engine. I am considering the Prado, though. The Montero is not in my budget.

Gears,
Red-One.
You must not discontinue the Pajero just because it has a lethargic engine.

I analysed your requirements, and honestly, no other SUV fits your bill as perfectly as the Pajero does.

You want a sturdy reliable SUV which is not too large, manages 120km/h and has good off-road ability and has the space and comfort for large passengers. I don't know of any other SUV that does all that in that budget, other than a used Pajero.

My suggestion? Analyse the cars you've shortlisted and the one with the least cons should be your car. Unless of course, you've taken a special-liking to something in particular. In which case, the dilemma will only get harder. Since it would be a battle between the head and the heart.

And yes, Nissan's X-Trails are notorious for their faulty turbos. They are very expensive to replace. And the X-Trail is still a soft-roader and will not be able to hold a candle to the Pajero, in terms of off-road ability.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd November 2011 at 19:37.
Old 25th November 2011, 06:34   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

hi redOne

I ve been on the hunt for a while now as you may have seen. Finally decided on a brand new Yeti but here's my take on used 4WD SUV type vehicles.

1. Tucson - easy soft roader but highly capable and versatile. good prices. you can get a decent one around 7.5-9 lacs. Disadvantage is the spares and the fact that it is out of production now. Plus it looks like only higher mileage options are available in the market right now.
2. Used VLX 4WD Scorpio - excellent deals available around 10 lacs for low mileage options - highly reliable and tough as well as inexpensive to maintain by and large. disadvantages are that it is top heavy, sways a lot and has a bouncy ride especially at the back.
3. Brand new LX 4WD - as Vikram says that is a super deal because it is more mechanical than electronic and hence likely to be tougher. Great pricing at 11 odd lacs.
4. Nissan X Trail - great vehicle indeed. But the prices in Bangalore are way too high - 12 lacs etc for a high mileage option. Turbo problems are possible. Being a CBU, the vehicle parts have to be imported, which means higher cost and some delays possible. (In case you evaluated that Black X Trail, its been sitting there for months now with no takers at 12 lacs. Also it is a high mileage vehicle - 90K plus - hence I would avoid it.)
5. Pajero - some good examples available at 11-15 lacs range. Very very tough car and well worth buying on account of its bullet proof-ness. Disadvantage is only that it is very large to use day to day in the city and this is the only reason I didnt consider one. I was told by the dealers that one has to watch out for Mitsubishi parts availability - else it is absolutely the best option out there right now in the used market.
6. Used Endy - very tough again. no worries on servicing and parts overall. But personally I found it way too large for daily use. Also, the middle row and last rows are uncomfortably bumpy especially on our roads here. Pricing is pretty ok - ranges from 9 lacs to 15 lacs depending on the version and age. Great vehicle in terms of useability off road etc.
7. Used Fortuner - highly overpriced in the used market. Lack of availability. Beyond the budget - 18-20 lacs for a 2009 model is not worth it.
8. I would not consider a Terracan because only a few of them were ever sold here and anyway it has been discontinued a long time back. And it is difficult to get parts for it despite going to the best and biggest dealers. another disadvantage is that Hyundai parts are not available in the open market so one has to go to the dealer only - and their parts prices are not cheap.
9. I would not think of a petrol SUV including the Vitara on account of the frightening petrol prices and these SUV's generally lower FE.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th November 2011 at 06:39.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 18:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hi redOne

I ve been on the hunt for a while now as you may have seen. Finally decided on a brand new Yeti but here's my take on used 4WD SUV type vehicles.
Thanks everyone. pajero seems to be the most preferred option. I'll add that to list and evaluate, though budget might be an issue.

@Shankar, your findings are very similar to mine. Somehow, I don't like the Tucson, seems too soft and not well built. I have seen a black x-trail but I am considering a red one. Saw another white one today.

Will keep everyone posted on outcome

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 25th November 2011, 18:47   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

all the best in your search and decision.
cheers

Quote:
Thanks everyone. pajero seems to be the most preferred option. I'll add that to list and evaluate, though budget might be an issue.

@Shankar, your findings are very similar to mine. Somehow, I don't like the Tucson, seems too soft and not well built. I have seen a black x-trail but I am considering a red one. Saw another white one today.

Will keep everyone posted on outcome

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:20   #23
BHPian

I finally went ahead with the 07 x-trail.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 1st December 2011, 16:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I finally went ahead with the 07 x-trail.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne, Congrats on the buy and x-trail absolutely suits all your needs .
Its really nice to see a SUV in your garage again after the LC. I wish you have a hassle free ride in it. Good Luck
Waiting for the pics and ownership report soon.

And by the way, I trust you did not forget me

Most Viewed