Old 24th December 2011, 22:45   #16

re: Pajero BS III or IV EDIT - Bought BS III

personally I can only suggest BS III Old gen Pajero,

Saw the PajeroSport...yes its a single word as I saw in Bangkok last week...and the looks are dismal..yes I agree that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. But at least me for one, hated the new looks. It looks kind of softroader and not so Masculine as the Old Pajero.

Attaching 2 pics of how it looks from the back.
Pajero BS III or IV EDIT - Bought BS III-img_1518.jpg  

Pajero BS III or IV EDIT - Bought BS III-img_1519.jpg  

rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 23:40   #17

The BS3 Pajero with it's butch looks will complement your Laura quite well.

That said, sure the old pajero is really old at 25 years, but it has the build quality, looks and ruggedness that would be needed in serious mudplugging. But if you are going to be driving in 2WD mode and on roads most of the time, then the new pajero is definitely the better choice.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 00:37   #18

You are spot on in your observations. The Montero is actually the new Pajero and the Pajero sport is actually Mitsubishi's attempt in getting hold of one of their pick ups and giving it a full roof + third row of seats just like Toyota transforming their HI LUX pick up in to the Fortuner.

Just to clarify - is the CBU Montero, the new version of the Pajero we have currently?
Because I remember reading a couple of years back that the Pajero Sport only shares the name with the original Pajero, but is a different car based on a Mitsubishi Triton pickup truck – to compete with the likes of Fortuner and Endeavour.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 09:50   #19

There is no justification in getting a BS-IV Pajero, unless you have to get it registered in a Metro.

The Pajero has adequate torque to breeze through hills and dirt tracks. What it lacks is highway speeds, even then it can be driven at 120+ easily.

The Pajero Sport is based on the Triton pick up, and according to reviews vastly different from the current Pajero. Montero is a Pajero which is a couple of generations newer. The major difference is that the Pajero sold in India is a ladder chassis, while Montero is a unibody construction. Ladder chassis is inherently tougher and body work easier to repair/maintain compared to unibody construction, where the body is a part of the structural frame.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 13:24   #20

Thanks Everyone!

Guess - BS III is what I will go ahead with as that seems to be more practical and sensible, though I am not a serious off-roader. One of the other reason to consider current gen Paj is to keep a vehicle for good 10 - 20 years & drive across country (Leh/ Ladakh - inclusive!!).

While - I have solid recommendations for BS III, can someone give more info around the power boost;

1) Power Boost which mistubishi is offering; seems the power will go up to 150 bhp - but FE will come down on a vehicle which is already returning low FE.

2) Red Rooster Power Upgrade: They seem to claim that the Power can be increased upto 40% & it increase FE as well. Any one has used this and any recommendations?
Old 26th December 2011, 16:37   #21

Just to clarify - is the CBU Montero, the new version of the Pajero we have currently?
Because I remember reading a couple of years back that the Pajero Sport only shares the name with the original Pajero, but is a different car based on a Mitsubishi Triton pickup truck – to compete with the likes of Fortuner and Endeavour.
Yes. The Montero is actually the latest avatar of Pajero. Mitsu has a habit of naming the cars differently for different markets. Like The Pajeros are known as Shogun in Europe and Lancers are known as Galant and so on. The Pajero Sports is based on the Triton Pick - up and is called as Challenger elsewhere in some markets. Nevertheless, it is expected to come in as a body-on-frame chassis with manual 4WD transmission and is gonna be more mechanically closer to Pajero. Montero on the other hand is a monocoque chassis.
rnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 12:38   #22

Originally Posted by rnair View Post
Try getting it in single shade.I think it is available on order. Go for BS4 only if its necessary.
It is available in a shade called pearl white which is a single shade color. The other colors are all multi shade.
I have driven the BS4 version and I would not recommend it at all.
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
1) Power Boost which mistubishi is offering; seems the power will go up to 150 bhp - but FE will come down on a vehicle which is already returning low FE.
Is this power boost being officially done by the dealer or the Co? Which dealer are you in touch with? What other details have they given you on it? Is it a certified modification which will not void the warranty?

2) Red Rooster Power Upgrade: They seem to claim that the Power can be increased upto 40% & it increase FE as well. Any one has used this and any recommendations?
While Red Rooster is a known firm, any change in power/torque can be and should be measured only on a dynamometer prior to claiming it. There are many boxes in the market which claim to increase power and FE but most of them essentially "fool" the ECU to make it inject more fuel into the cylinder hence increasing power. FE is rarely increased.
Also, since the Pajero you are considering does NOT have and ECU, it would be interesting to know how this kit works.

And, what offers are you getting on the BS 3 version and through which dealer?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 13:16   #23

I totally understand ur enthusiasm for the Current Gen Pajero.. It's something special despite the competition from newer, fresher rivals. It's Ride and Handling is definitely better than the Toyota Fortuner ( I know, I drove both extensively and compared), It's front seats are well bolstered, it's 4-wheel drive is better than anything in the market just now and it's butch looks, to me, are absolutely fantastic!

My two cents- Go for a sparingly used one for 13-16 Lacs... U can find quite a few examples in most major Metros..

I'd pick one up too, if i wasn't in such a cash crunch..

DO give us an extensive review with pics once u get the Monster..

Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 17:29   #24

Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
My two cents- Go for a sparingly used one for 13-16 Lacs... U can find quite a few examples in most major Metros..
Pajero has excellent resale value, hence good ones are hard to get. I did search and did not find sparingly used Pajero at less than 18L. You will rarely get ones with less than 70k on the odometer. That is what makes it such an excellent buy, even today.
Old 29th December 2011, 19:34   #25

Thanks Everyone!

Not sure who you spoke in Mistubishi but there is no power boost available officially from them.

As regards RRR, I have been following up with them on their 'Spider' unit which 'supposedly' brings up the bhp to about 150 but there has been no response from their side on this.

indianrunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 00:05   #26

Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Pajero has excellent resale value, hence good ones are hard to get. I did search and did not find sparingly used Pajero at less than 18L. You will rarely get ones with less than 70k on the odometer. That is what makes it such an excellent buy, even today.
If you come to chennai, I can get you 2008/2009 models with about 30KL on the odometer for about 14 Lakhs. All single owner vehicles with company service records.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 22:24   #27

* Pick current gen BS III Paj (they do have some spelendid offer going on now)
Can you give more details on this
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:17   #28

Can you give more details on this
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post

Not sure who you spoke in Mistubishi but there is no power boost available officially from them.

As regards RRR, I have been following up with them on their 'Spider' unit which 'supposedly' brings up the bhp to about 150 but there has been no response from their side on this.

Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Is this power boost being officially done by the dealer or the Co? Which dealer are you in touch with? What other details have they given you on it? Is it a certified modification which will not void the warranty?

While Red Rooster is a known firm, any change in power/torque can be and should be measured only on a dynamometer prior to claiming it. There are many boxes in the market which claim to increase power and FE but most of them essentially "fool" the ECU to make it inject more fuel into the cylinder hence increasing power. FE is rarely increased.
Also, since the Pajero you are considering does NOT have and ECU, it would be interesting to know how this kit works.

And, what offers are you getting on the BS 3 version and through which dealer?
As per Auto Pacifica - only dealer for entire Karnataka, says it's Mitsubishi endorsed product & does not void warranty. I have asked for more details & will share once I have it.

Quote received for BS III Pajero to be registered in Bangalore;

Ex-Showroom: Rs. 21,22,934
Road Tax: Rs. 4,24,163
Insurance: Free (Costs Rs. 79,695). This can be considered as a cash discount which is not in offer effective 1st Jan 2012.
Handling Charges: Rs. 15,000
Total On-Road Price: Rs. 25,62,097

In Addition; Extended Warranty for 2nd year is Rs. 11,000

Finally, booking is done for Dual Tone (Carbon: Black & White) through my company lease & PO is also sent to the dealer. Will take the delivery sometime end Jan or Feb. Will keep you posted rest of the happenings once I have the Paj!
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:59   #29

Congratulations maheshramaling on the B&W, will look forward to reading about your delivery experience and the snaps.
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:38   #30

Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you come to chennai, I can get you 2008/2009 models with about 30KL on the odometer for about 14 Lakhs. All single owner vehicles with company service records.
That is real good news. Please keep such contacts handy since you will be able to help a lot of people who are on the look out for one.