Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:01   #31
BHPian

re: Pajero BS III or IV EDIT - Bought BS III

Imagine the old Pajero with a 170 -180 bhp engine, redesigned grills, HID headlamps, redesigned dashboard and seats, with a two tone colour scheme, and maybe a new alloy wheel design. I bet it would outsell the Sport.
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:35   #32
BHPian

Wish your imagination comes true. I shall be the first one to buy it.

It will not only sell the sports even the Fortooner would become history.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
Imagine the old Pajero with a 170 -180 bhp engine, redesigned grills, HID headlamps, redesigned dashboard and seats, with a two tone colour scheme, and maybe a new alloy wheel design. I bet it would outsell the Sport.
I would be happy with the Engine and HID only.

That brings up the question of whether the transmission - gear box, transfer case, axles and differentials are designed to take the additional torque generated by the new engine? I doubt it. May be that is why they have stuck around with older engine.
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:11   #34
BHPian

Mitsu does have a 2.8L diesel producing 140 ps, but for which model they are using it for, I'm not sure. If HM wants to keep alive the Pajero brand they have got to do something now and do it fast.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:06   #35
BHPian

Google says that the 2nd generation Pajero is sold as the Pajero SFX in India, while the 5th gen Pajero is sold as the Montero in India. The 2nd gen also comes with a 123 hp turbo diesel.

The best way to keep the 2 gen Paj alive is to plonk in the Montero engine in it, but i doubt that is possible....so the Macho Pajero is gonna die and what we will get is a pickup converted Triton. That means Mitsu is gonna follow the Toyota & Ford route and give India a pickup-SUV, but the advantage Ford & Toyota had/have is that their offering is bigger, proven and therefore selling well.

The new Pajero will not do well, so its best that Mitsu still retain the Old.

'Old is gold', they say and nothing proves it better than this Pajero SFX.

Soon India will get (macho looking)softroaders in the 7-10 Lakh price bracket, viz.Eco sport & Duster. So Mitsu should get in their ASR softroader and price the Pajero SFX at about 15L to compete.

Why i say this so emphatically is because- recently a good friend went for a Scorpio. He test drove the T-fort, Endy, Scoprio & the Paj and prefered the Pajero and rated it ONE. But put off by the value to money equation, he rated the Scoprio as second best SUV and bought it. But a Pajero at 15 L with maybe even some features knocked off should be a steal !!

Hope people at HM & Mitsu read Team-Bhp.

Last edited by rxpaul : 4th January 2012 at 11:24.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:05   #36
BHPian

I understand from a friend in Mitsubishi, the Pajero sport will be launched in Apr this year at a price tag of ~26L and will be sold alongside the existing Pajero (which will be re-christened the Pajero Classic).
Old 4th January 2012, 21:43   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
I understand from a friend in Mitsubishi, the Pajero sport will be launched in Apr this year at a price tag of ~26L and will be sold alongside the existing Pajero (which will be re-christened the Pajero Classic).
This seems to be true and sad. Mitsubishi had a worthy international competitor in their hands in the Pajero Sport but with such pricing jokes, Toyota will continue to laugh its way to the bank.

At the moment, a pre-owned Pajero SFX seems to be the best Mitsubishi vehicle available to those who need a Mitsubishi SUV.
Old 30th January 2012, 22:55   #38
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 13:54.
rxpaul is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th February 2012, 12:51   #39
BHPian

i am told that Mitsubishi dealers are extremely frustrated with Hindustan Motors. Apparently mitsubishi is completely hands off in the Indian market, and Mitsubishi is limited to standard age old HM business practices, which is to do the minimum possible, at the minimum possible investment for as long as possible.

The lack of investment in marketing and advertising has caused the Cedia to sell nowhere near its potential. No investments are made to localize and manufacture Mitsubishi SUVs in India to make them competitive with Toyotas. No efforts are made to update the old vehicle with a new engine. No efforts are made to reduce the price of the pajero to make it competitive in the face of 170-180hp competitors. One dealer told me that if the 150hp 2.5L variant of the upcoming Chevy Trailblazer comes in at 17 lacs as the news is, how will the pajero sell for 21lacs? He said Hindustant Motors shows no awareness or concern or interest. They want to earn as much revenue as they can with as little investment and risk as they can and that renders mitsubishi a dead duck in India given the aggressiveness that the sharks (toyota, ford, chevy, hyundai, etc) are swimming in these waters.

Mitsubishi is too distracted by its own troubles to consider investing its own money and staff in India for the purpose of fighting it out here.

Its too bad. On the other hand, I am very happy that this circumstance has caused the Pajero SFX to be still available in India because while its too outdated for most people, what it does well is something you can't get today in any vehicle as SUV shapes have changed to create an impressive on-road presence, and not to provide spectacular views out for working out on the trail. And its chassis behaviour on rough surfaces is something not found commonly now as SUVs have either become pick up truck based, or have become on road focused. Only the body on frame range rovers used to handle bad surfaces like this. and I am glad that the chance is still open for me to buy this old relic.

Last edited by Harbir : 4th February 2012 at 12:58.
Old 4th February 2012, 19:10   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
i am told that Mitsubishi dealers are extremely frustrated with Hindustan Motors.
I feel bad for the businessmen who have invested in Mitsubishi dealerships. Their's is a dead investment. I have no idea how they continue to pay salaries and rent and other expenses given that only about 100 Pajeros sell a month.
Old 16th February 2012, 14:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

I did a test-drive of the Fortuner, X-Trail, Scorpio 4x4 and Pajero SFX recently in a construction site. The Pajero wins hands down when it comes to ride-quality and poise on bad surfaces. On the road, the Fortuner left the Pajero for dead.

I am in the camp that cannot stand the looks of these new-age SUVs and I've been on the lookout for a Defender 90 / Pajero SFX for the last 6 months. I'm just old school I guess.
Old 16th February 2012, 15:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I did a test-drive of the Fortuner, X-Trail, Scorpio 4x4 and Pajero SFX recently in a construction site. The Pajero wins hands down when it comes to ride-quality and poise on bad surfaces. On the road, the Fortuner left the Pajero for dead.

I am in the camp that cannot stand the looks of these new-age SUVs and I've been on the lookout for a Defender 90 / Pajero SFX for the last 6 months. I'm just old school I guess.

What most of do not take into account is that the BHP and Torque values bandied about are the peak values. No where is the low end torque or the low end power mentioned. On bad roads or hills we never go flat out at 120. What we normally achieve is 60-80 on good highways and 40- on steep twisties. It is here that a properly geared vehicle with a good low end torque over shadows the high revving competition, whose claim to fame is high HP with turbo on. If the turbo cannot be used; as in crawling; the vehicle performance just fizzles out.
Old 16th February 2012, 21:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
This is exactly why I'm want a Pajero, for use on rough surfaces. Unlike most SUV buyers, I think it stupid to buy an SUV if its going to be primarily for use on decent roads sp my SUV has to the best on rough surfaces

The real reason I haven't already bought one is that I am 6'3" and I get older, I started to feel uncomfortable in cramped cars that don't force tight angles at the knees and ankles, and the relatively cramped confines of the Pajero worry me. And the rear seat is just terrible.

but apart from that, its the SUV of my dreams.

Last edited by Harbir : 16th February 2012 at 21:44.
Old 16th February 2012, 21:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

I am 6'3" and I didn't find it cramped!
Old 17th February 2012, 07:22   #45
BHPian

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Harbir : 17th February 2012 at 07:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks