Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:16   #1
BHPian

Pajero BS III or IV EDIT - Bought BS III

Hi,

I am thinking for getting a 2nd vehicle after I sold my Innova mid this year and my final 3 shortlists were Endeavour, Fortuner & Pajero.

After going through various reviews & after test driving them - I think I will go for Pajero. I will explain later, why I chose Pajero over Fortuner & Endeavour.

And now - I need your advice; Pajero BS III or IV?

Few comparision;

Pajero BS IV:
Power: 108 PS
Ex-showroom cost: INR 21,78,668

Pajero BS III:
Power: 118 PS
Ex-showroom cost: INR 21,22,934

Technically - I am getting a powerful vehicle for 55K cheaper and the dealer promises me to get the new vehicle (say Jan 2012) since they are still producing BS III for non-metro's. And - I guess this can be clearly verified by VIN # & Form 22. Pls. note that the car will be registered in a non-metro RTO - so no legal issues as well.

And dealer says that all the features & specifications in both are exactly same, hence - no inferior product.

So - here is the advice I am looking for;

1) Am I over looking something here?
2) Is BS IV car more efficient (though it produces less emissions)?
3) While speaking - I was also told about power upgrade to 150 PS using a kit. I am not sure if such a huge increase is possible with a kit alone (no engine remapping). Any thoughts & is it advisable?
Old 23rd December 2011, 00:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Pajero BS III or IV EDIT - Bought BS III

The Pajero BSIII & BSIV are identical to the last nut & bolt except for the state of tune of the engine. The engine has been detuned to meet with the more stringent BSIV emission levels and that is all there is to it. I do not see any point in the extra spend.

The other thing you may be interested in is the fact that Mitsubishi Motors india were not interested in offering a newer version of the engine to meet the BSIV standards is because the about to be launched Pajero Sport is equipped with a more modern power plant & will be their main offering for the BSIV markets.

Last edited by khoj : 23rd December 2011 at 01:01.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wait, new one will be out soon.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:12   #4
BHPian

The Pajero sport will be a new engine and also new body. I wish it were a new engine in the old body (that would be like New wine in an old bottle).

You should wait until the new one is introduced, so that you can buy the old at a better discount.
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:00   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The BSIV Pajero is horribly under-powered. Believe it or not, its power to weight ratio is poorer to the Nano . Imagine how it will behave with 4 - 6 passengers onboard. HM should get an award for the worst BSIV conversion...I don't know of any other manufacturer that lost 10% horsepower.

If you have to buy now, get the BSIII. It's cheaper and you are anyways going to register it in a non-Metro. However, the best recommendation is from Jkdas : Mitsubishi has already announced the launch of the new Pajero in the first quarter of 2012. Why even bother with a 25 year old SUV, when a new generation is just around the corner?
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The other thing you may be interested in is the fact that Mitsubishi Motors india were not interested in offering a newer version of the engine to meet the BSIV standards is because the about to be launched Pajero Sport is equipped with a more modern power plant & will be their main offering for the BSIV markets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
The Pajero sport will be a new engine and also new body. I wish it were a new engine in the old body (that would be like New wine in an old bottle).

You should wait until the new one is introduced, so that you can buy the old at a better discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, the best recommendation is from Jkdas : Mitsubishi has already announced the launch of the new Pajero in the first quarter of 2012. Why even bother with a 25 year old SUV, when a new generation is just around the corner?
I did explore this & it's confirmed that Pajero Sport will be launched in Jan or Feb & will house a 2.5L CRDI engine producing 134 bhp/ around 420 torque.

Few reasons for not wanting to go for Sport is;

1) Looks: The body will be entirely different from the current gen Pajero & the Sport will mostly look like Outlander. One of the key pull factor to decide Pajero was it's look (even my wife like the current gen looks)....so Sport was out of consideration. Like rxpaul said I wish it were a new engine in the old body.

2) Price: Rumoured to be priced close to 30 Lacs (24 to 25 Lacs ex-showroom) - which IMO highly priced.

The option I was thinking was;

* Pick current gen BS III Paj (they do have some spelendid offer going on now)
* Add a power boost.
- Dealer stating that they have some kit from Mitsubishi which can increase the bhp upto 150 but this means the FE will further come down :(
- Alternatively go for some after market kit's like Red Rooster. They claim that FE will go up along with power increase.

Any thoughts on the Power boost part?
Old 23rd December 2011, 23:28   #7
BHPian

The new Pajero looks like a softroader. I may be in a minority here, but i just cannot stomach modern looking SUVs like the X-trail, Outlander, Captiva or even the CRV.
I prefer the old school looks of SUVs like the Paj & the Endy. Some more favourites are the old VW Touareg & the Old Nissan Patrols.

And Mahesh.... given a choice i too would pick the BS III Pajero, the Macho SUV.
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 11:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
The new Pajero looks like a softroader. I may be in a minority here, but i just cannot stomach modern looking SUVs like the X-trail, Outlander, Captiva or even the CRV.
I prefer the old school looks of SUVs like the Paj & the Endy. Some more favourites are the old VW Touareg & the Old Nissan Patrols.

And Mahesh.... given a choice i too would pick the BS III Pajero, the Macho SUV.
Can't agree more!! I would prefer old school cars (starting from Amby to first gen Honda City) and SUV's (Paj, Endy, Patrol, etc.,).

BTW - any suggestions on the Power Boost part? Is it recommended & worth it?
Old 24th December 2011, 12:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends also on where you would be using the vehicle. To me even @21lac old gen Pajero is over priced. Highly.
Old 24th December 2011, 12:05   #10
BHPian

So this is a no brainer, as our Esteemed member, GTO, has pointed out, BSIV pajero is grossly under powered. So better to stick to the BSIII version, save some money while you are at it.

About the usage of the vehicle, where do you intend to use it? Going off road to far flung places like Ladakh and all? If long distance travel is what you are thinking for this vehicle then i think it would be a good idea to keep it stock and not to tinker with it too much as it has a direct effect on reliability.

Last edited by amrisharm : 24th December 2011 at 12:10.
Old 24th December 2011, 13:04   #11
BHPian

True, Pajero is old and outdated, but I think it still does decent numbers every month compared to the new and modern and classy SUV's of today (barring the Fortuner). It has a cult following and the complete mechanical 4WD system is as robust and reliable as ever. Interiors are even more depressing but sturdy and built to last for ever. It is the only SUV in the market on which Crome does not look cheap. So if you are gonna keep it for a long time, you should probably go ahead with your decision. I dont think any other SUV in that segment can be driven as fearlessly as a Pajero while off- roading. Try getting it in single shade.I think it is available on order. Go for BS4 only if its necessary.
Old 24th December 2011, 14:29   #12

Hi Maheshramaling
It would be a prudent decision to stick with the Pajero BS3, for a few reasons:
1. As obviously stated, the state of tune means increased power incase of the BS3.
2. Considering that you would do a few cross city trips across India, the best idea would be a BS3 compliant engine since BS3 Diesel is the popular fuel sold across State & National Highways and suburban India. The BS3 fuels have more Sulphur content providing much needed lubricity to the engine. Using a BS4 rated engine with BS3 fuel consistently could harm the engine in a real long run ownership, possibly.
3. Incase of future Tuning of the BS4 engine, one of the most common mods would be unplugging the NOx reduction mechanism (solenoid operated diaphragm) giving better low end torque. Hence, you would be back to square one paying more incase of a BS4 engine, (which then would operate as a BS3 engine) with lesser power.
Take care, drive safe & keep us posted with your purchase!
Old 24th December 2011, 16:56   #13
BHPian

Hi Mahesh,
Have attached a link to a pdf (which i have only complied) which has referance to some superb posts by Harbhir and others in team -BHP about the Paj, Endy, T-fort & Montero.
Pl. trace out these threads and read them.....wonderful, wonderful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pajero,Endy,Tfort,Montereo comparo.pdf (84.2 KB, 1172 views)

Last edited by rxpaul : 24th December 2011 at 16:58.
rxpaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 17:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday's Business Line carried the news that the launch of the new pajero is likely to be delayed. What was scheduled for the Auto Expo will now be launced some time in first quarter of 2012 only. Two or three of month's wait only and that would be the advisable option.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th December 2011 at 17:09.
Old 24th December 2011, 22:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, the best recommendation is from Jkdas : Mitsubishi has already announced the launch of the new Pajero in the first quarter of 2012. Why even bother with a 25 year old SUV, when a new generation is just around the corner?
Just to clarify - is the CBU Montero, the new version of the Pajero we have currently?
Because I remember reading a couple of years back that the Pajero Sport only shares the name with the original Pajero, but is a different car based on a Mitsubishi Triton pickup truck – to compete with the likes of Fortuner and Endeavour.

Most Viewed