Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 17:46   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car ? Heart says XUV5oo Mind says Innova VX

If you have gone through the 99 pages of niggles and your heart still wants it, GO for it. XUVs niggles can be taken care of. If niggles is worrying you that much, then go for W6 variant which will have lesser electronic problems.

The fights between mind and heart has been debated for ages in TBHP and majority goes with what they desire than what fits their requirements

Also I read in the official XUV thread that there has been a quality upgrade for 2013 XUVs starting from March/April.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 5th February 2013 at 17:48.
Old 5th February 2013, 17:54   #137
Team-BHP Support

Depends on what you need it for. If it's city usage, my vote goes to Innova. Innova has better ride at low speeds and is more car like to drive in town. The engine is more drivable with lesser lag.

If it's going to do a lot of highways, the XUV is the way to go. Better handling and the 6th gear gives the XUV a huge advantage on the highway.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 18:10   #138
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

I would suggest Innova. It is very reliable. My Personal View, I dont find those gadgets to be very practical in XUV. Innova has sufficient gadgets for day to day use. Hand brake + half clutch works well to compensate for unavailability for hill hold.

I would suggest Innova with eyes closed.

My support for Innova would be as follows
  1. Usable 3rd Row
  2. Lesser Maintenance Cost
  3. Better Customer Care & Service
  4. Reliability and Quality.
  5. T Badge
  6. Niggle Free
Things against Innova
  1. Private Taxi / call taxi Image
  2. All new Innova expected in 2013 end / 2014 (new Platform and Body)
  3. Existing Innova is around 10 years old
  4. Dated looks
  5. Lesser gadgets
  6. Not a VFM Product anymore
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 21:27   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If it's going to do a lot of highways, the XUV is the way to go. Better handling and the 6th gear gives the XUV a huge advantage on the highway.
I would still say Innova for highways. A full size adult can travel for 300-400 kms easily in the last row. XuV's last row is only for kids. And talking of kids, I have two and today's kids also want a choice on where they sit ..no getting dumped in the last row for them. This esentially means that even if you keep the last row reserved for kids, you will get a very frequent taste of it every now and then. Why suffer when you have a choice

Yes, it will hum a bit more than the XUV because of no 6th gear and short final drive, but having driven Innova personally for 60k kms and dozens of 500+ km (and even 1200+ km) non stop drives, I can vouch that the hum is not a big problem..it is probably one of the most comfortable vehicles to drive long distance.

The Toyota customer care experience is another thing thats a big deal, even if bulletproof reliability is a given in the vehicle. BTW, the new model seems to hum a bit less compared to my 2009 model !

Last edited by Buffetfan : 5th February 2013 at 21:30.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 21:53   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I would still say Innova for highways. A full size adult can travel for 300-400 kms easily in the last row. XuV's last row is only for kids. And talking of kids, I have two and today's kids also want a choice on where they sit ..no getting dumped in the last row for them. This esentially means that even if you keep the last row reserved for kids, you will get a very frequent taste of it every now and then. Why suffer when you have a choice

Yes, it will hum a bit more than the XUV because of no 6th gear and short final drive, but having driven Innova personally for 60k kms and dozens of 500+ km (and even 1200+ km) non stop drives, I can vouch that the hum is not a big problem..it is probably one of the most comfortable vehicles to drive long distance.
True about the third row space but if you look at lucksin's post, he is ok with the lesser space at the 3rd row.

The handling and lack of 6th gear, I do not agree. I have an Altis and a Figo and both have short gearing. At high speeds I really hate the fact that the engine is so stressed and busy. And it is even worse in the Innova than both my cars. 100-110kmph is ok but anything more and it feels that it's stressed. I know it can do more but it makes you not push it more because of the buzz.

Plus this short gearing takes a toll on the FE.

If you drive a car with a 6th gear you will know what I mean. It just feels so relaxed on the highways after 100kmph.

It may not be a problem for you but I absolutely hate that in Innova and both my cars.

The Innova has the reliability advantage as well but the XUV package is difficult to ignore and even more so when your heart is set on it like what lucksin said.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 00:31   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucksin View Post
My family is planning to upgrade Ritz with a bigger family car now and after lot of reading and Test driving only two options were shortlisted which suits our requirement best

1) Innova - near ZEN perfection, reliable and comfortable for parents
2) XUV 5oo - Gagets gagets and gagets and Looks
To make your decision making simpler, mark my words, FORGET everything else in your mind and make your decision as - If you ll be driving this car yourself most of the time, pick XUV and if chauffer driven - then INNOVA. You won't regret it trust me.

Mod Note: Please don't quote a large post in its entirety. It makes things difficult for our mobile and small screen users

Last edited by noopster : 6th February 2013 at 09:52. Reason: Refer mod note in post
Old 6th February 2013, 12:01   #142
BHPian

Dude,
Go for the XUV. it is a no brainer. I have owened the XUV for 2 months. Though it is not a long time but ill tell you one thing. This is a really reliable vehicle. there may be a few small issues but nothing that will leave you stranded on the road.
Many people say that Mahindra service is pethetic. But I have had a very different experience. they are really professional.
The reason i went to the service station:
Well the 99 page thread had me really paranoid. I heard some noise on the front tyres after a trip and expected the worst. I cancelled my long drive to kerala and took the car to the service station.
The reason for the noise. Stone lodged on the front tyre.
The service center offered to balance my tyres and check/top-up the fluid levels in the car free of cost to ensure my car is in working condintion for my long drive witout my even asking them.

Maybe i feel they treated me really well because I only have experience with FIAT service.

To sum up
In my opinion the XUV is a reliable vehicle with good looks great pickup and a decent service and a top management that listens to its customers. It also has loads of attitude and pazzazz
Innova is a reliable vehicle with an such an amazing service (I am basing this on the loads of toyota owners who sing praises about the service) that you dont bother what the top management is doing . It is however Sedate and has a taxi image (This was important for me. All the Cabs in my office transport are Innovas).

Ride handling and comfort wise both are almost the same
Third row in an innova is better (you are not very interested in the 3rd row as i can see from ur post)
Safety features is better in the XUV

Last edited by gandalf : 6th February 2013 at 12:14.
Old 6th February 2013, 12:49   #143

thanks for all the reply, This sunday will be the D day for booking the car as Ritz has been sold. Mom is more inclined towards the new Innova specially the VX variant after taking a test drive of fortuner last weekend. the dash and interiors to her look nearly the same specially with better wood like inserts as compared to fortuner and with touch screen DVD system and a nice music system( i guess same as fortune in VX).

have booked a test drive again for XUV this saturday, this time will be going with family. last time when i took a TD i was alone and the vehicle wasnt in good shape. there was rattling sound inside the cabin and plastic wasnt good, infact it was scratched from here and there. i just hope this time around the TD vehicle is better maintained for the sole reason if wife and mom decided to go against XUV then it will be innova.

on a side note the vehicle was around 18k driven as per ODO and i dint felt the brakes were very weak. although it wasnt even step ahead compared to innova but nothing less. and the infotainment worked. except the rattle nothing to complain about if i had a say.

can anyone with a year old XUV tell if the interior rattles after an year use ?

about 3rd row, the plus point of innova is, even with 5 people on board they all can have better space as 4 are captain seats, and one can easily sit in last row which will be equivalent to any mid size saloon.
Old 10th February 2013, 12:54   #144

Finally, the decision is out.. and it went in favor of Innova (Silky Gold). Mom and Wife loved the airy interiors and uncluttered look.

will update the delivery pics after taking delivery.
Old 17th February 2013, 15:43   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaran View Post
I drove my Ford for over 5 years and covered most for the places within drivable distance from Gurgaon on it and my big fear was that I would not enjoy my next car as much... The XUV doesn't disappoint.
Though I didn't owned FORD for 5 yrs, but clocked closer to 80K kms. I really miss the extra punch that Fiesta Tdci could have taken it with ease. Straight to sedan vs SUV debate thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:17   #146
Senior - BHPian

Which MUV/SUV in 10 to 12 Lacs Range?

A little background.

I have a Polo TDi and I am very happy with car. I have covered around 1.75 Lac Kms in it and she is still going strong. Now I got married in 2011 and I am a proud father of a 1 Year old Daughter.

Now the problem is that my family has finally out grown the Polo..

My wife wants a bigger car. And I had initially looked at the Xenon CC but one look and I haven't seen my wife run so fast out of any showroom. So it goes out of the window.

Now my wife hates the Scorpio and Doesn't like the Xenon. She had a Safari before marriage and So doesn't want it again. Now what left is:

1. Innova : I have 2 in my family and 1 in hers so again Bye Bye. I hate the new noise job anyways.
2. XUV 500: Wife is nor hating it nor liking it.
3. Aria : My wife loves it. But i am not getting clear with models I want know whats the base model has to offer.
4. Force One. No Idea why I am still considering it. But I had called the dealer and he said that they will offer me a mouth watering deal only if I come to their showroom.
5. Storme : I drove it and I hate it

I have around 12 Lacs to spend and I am not including the Insurance or the Registration cost.
I want something which is refined and it has to be Diesel. And I drive more that 200 KMs daily. So FE is also one of my concern but not the primary one. I may or may not keep the Polo for long.

I also have a Brio and W124 E220. So this will not be my only ride but the one mostly driven.

Please help

Last edited by manikjeet : 23rd January 2014 at 17:19.
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:40   #147
BHPian

Re: Which MUV/SUV in 10 to 12 Lacs Range?

Look at the top end Ertiga. Can't really go wrong with a Maruti bestseller.
The XUV isnt a bad bet either. And then ofcourse, theres the duster/terrano.
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:45   #148
BHPian

Hi,

You can have a look at Ertiga. I am saying this as you already own two Innova's and Ertiga should fit perfectly as a daily commute car and remains in your budget. It is neither too big nor too small. Else, if you still want a bigger car then XUV500 would be the right choice.

My suggestion, stay away from Aria. You may not like the overall ownership experience after a few months. Even Force One has not been able to make a desired mark in the market and we hardly see any on them on the roads.

For commuting 200kms you need a reliable brand which should have authorized service stations and easy maintenance.

Best Wishes
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:48   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I have around 12 Lacs to spend and I am not including the Insurance or the Registration cost.
I want something which is refined and it has to be Diesel. And I drive more that 200 KMs daily. So FE is also one of my concern but not the primary one. I may or may not keep the Polo for long.
My choice would be the XUV, at 12 lakh ex-showroom you should be able to get the W6 variant. Good seat support for the driver with lumbar support included as well which is a boon.

Man, 200 kms/day and 1.75L kms on a polo. Wow you are racking up serious miles
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:04   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Look at the top end Ertiga. Can't really go wrong with a Maruti bestseller.
The XUV isnt a bad bet either. And then ofcourse, theres the duster/terrano.
My Wifes cousin had a crash in a ZXI Ertiga 3 Months ago and she didn't survive so I wouldn't even suggest that to my wife.

Duster and Terrano I think are overpriced and to small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Hi,

You can have a look at Ertiga. I am saying this as you already own two Innova's and Ertiga should fit perfectly as a daily commute car and remains in your budget. It is neither too big nor too small. Else, if you still want a bigger car then XUV500 would be the right choice.

My suggestion, stay away from Aria. You may not like the overall ownership experience after a few months. Even Force One has not been able to make a desired mark in the market and we hardly see any on them on the roads.

For commuting 200kms you need a reliable brand which should have authorized service stations and easy maintenance.

Best Wishes
Hi,

XUV is a fine vehicle but I find it to over designed. But I am keeping it for the last option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
My choice would be the XUV, at 12 lakh ex-showroom you should be able to get the W6 variant. Good seat support for the driver with lumbar support included as well which is a boon.

Man, 200 kms/day and 1.75L kms on a polo. Wow you are racking up serious miles
200 Kms daily and not one traffic ticket in last 2 Years . But the back pain kills me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks