Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:09   #151
BHPian

Re: Which MUV/SUV in 10 to 12 Lacs Range?

I know your wife has rejected Scorpio, however if this is not urgent buy, why not wait till the new Scorpio (W105) is launched sometime during mid of this year. The interiors are changed for better, tweaked suspension and also available in AT.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-11-a-14.html
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:48   #152
BHPian

Out of the cars you listed, XUV would be the best one. Even I was about to suggest Ertiga but not doing so (after reading your reply). If you are ready to wait, you can consider the facelifted Scorpio or XUV500 as well. How about Enjoy..? I think its a value for money car.

Let us wait and see which are all models have been lined up for 2014 Auto Expo. By the way you have a Cheetah as your avatar..!
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:57   #153
BHPian

Having had two safaris and just driven a relatives XUV for over 1000kms I have to say that the choice is between these two. I did find the XUV slightly better overall. Though i must add here that the Safari Storme is a vastly improved vehicle. Test drive both for 50kms with family and then im very sure you will decide one easily. All the best!
Btw im replacing my old Safari Dicor 3.0 with the force one Shortly. This was purely decided as its now 100% chauffeur !!
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:28   #154
Senior - BHPian

Regarding safety, none of the vehicles except the Aria, Safari Storme and XUV, will be acceptable.

I would've suggested the Storme, but you don't seem to like it. The Aria, has got several poor reviews on this forum from the owners, while I love the car too, I always stray away from cars that are known to give problems and come from a company that offers poor A.S.S.

The XUV, is your only bet. The W4 variant is quite well priced and only skimps out on unwanted gimmicks. I too think it is overstyled but I see that as your only option. Perhaps one in white or blue without all the chrome accessories might be okay to look at :P
you ought to give the Storme another shot too.

Oh and does it really have to be an SUV/MUV?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd January 2014 at 20:29.
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:40   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
XUV is a fine vehicle but I find it to over designed. But I am keeping it for the last option.
I had the same issue with the XUV when I was looking for an SUV, but for some reason I just did not feel like spending more money for the under equipped premium SUV's like the Fortuner and Santa fe. So I settled for the W8 XUV and decided to wait for the new releases. But now I am really happy with the XUV, it's a good comfortable drive and has a decent road presence.

I've seen the W4 XUV and it seems to have all the useful features of the XUV while removing some of the extraneous electronics to meet the target price, I would seriously recommend the XUV, it really has exceeded my initial expectations.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:51   #156
Team-BHP Support

Manikjeet, this isn't in your list. But see if you can get a Yeti 4x2 in your budget. They are going at big discounts nowadays, and its a brilliant little vehicle. It will give you between 18-20kmpl on the highways, and its suspension is brilliant at highway speeds. Its far more refined than anything on your list, and is built better than any of them too. After the build quality of the VW, none of the Jap or Indian cars will be suitable for you. It does sound like I'm promoting the Yeti only because I own one, but take one for a TD and see for yourself.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:05   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It does sound like I'm promoting the Yeti only because I own one.
Akshay, I had looked at the Yeti when I was looking for at an SUV, the two main reasons I stayed away was I found the yeti a little small. And the main reason was Skoda's greatly reputed A.S.S, how has your experience been with service?

All my friends who own Skoda's in Bangalore told me to stay away.
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:40   #158
BHPian

I am in the same dilemma of chosing an suv/muv in the 12L price bracket. I was about to throw this question on the forum and just found this thread.
I have a honda city already and will eventually become a second car. Will be using the new one as primary vehicle for me.
Looking between only two contenders XUV500 and Duster/Terrano.
I know there is a substantial power and drivability difference between the two but still an option.
My heart goes for XUV but dad has inclination towards terrano because of nissan.
Find duster/terrano too rudimentary and NOT VFM. Also they aren't a satisfactory drives. I occasionally like power drives.
Need your suggestions mates and kind of comparative.
Thanks all.

Last edited by Honda Monk : 23rd January 2014 at 23:43.
Old 24th January 2014, 07:38   #159
BHPian

Hi,
I am also in same boat for big vehicle like you but for next year due to parking space issue which will be sorted out by next year with new home.
I will suggest to hold till auto expo and check for Tata motors plans. As per latest news they will be announcing strategy for Aria. They are even planning to rollout Movus(updated Grande). Tata have Aria/Storme/Movus whereas MM have Scorp/Xuv for your requirements. Tata is improving a lot on their product and service quality.
When I visited Tata showroom last aug with my wife and 3 year old son. They both liked tata over Ertiga mainly for space. (Did not check MM XUV as our plan dropped that time) Between tata my son liked Storme as he found very roomy and playground in car - large windows and beige interiers effect may be whereas my wife found Aria better - 3 front facing rows and many boxes on ceiling to keep all small things. According to her 3rd front facing seat for son when he want to sleep during long drives. Currently in our Dzire he takes over rear seat so we can't invite our parents/friends for loooong journey with us.
Few things to note if you are moving from sedan/hatch to Suv/Muv - body roll, highway behaviour due to its tall structure and parking space. We hate Scorp only because body roll on turns. As we experienced hell lot of body roll in one of the rented Scorp during our trip to toughest tarrain - spiti valley combined with typical sane tourist drive.
Definitely you must consider driving comfort and pleasure. You may find one of vehicle is much comfortable for driving even though you don't like shape.
I know its very easy to choose first car in life being its heart's decision because of willingness to own first car but for next car its toughest to choose being its mind's decision.
Good luck for your decision !!!

Cheers!
Old 24th January 2014, 09:20   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you need all 3 rows of seating or only the front 2 rows? I think you should first establish that.

If its 2 rows:
1. Ertiga: Due to your extremely high running, it would prove to be easier to maintain and the FE is pretty good too.
2. Duster: But Renault service costs are still suspect for your kind of running.

If all 3 rows:
1. XUV: VFM product. Loaded with safety and comfort features. Initial niggles are well sorted now.
2. Safari storme and Aria: I don't really trust Tata cars now specially for your kind of running.

BTW why don't you buy another sedan to replace polo? It would be as spacious as these 5 seater SUVs and the driving pleasure would be much more. 200 kms daily travel in a sedan will be much less tiring.
Old 24th January 2014, 09:43   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
200 kms daily travel in a sedan will be much less tiring.
Might not.

In a high GC vehicle, you have to keep scanning for traffic and not about the surface, whereas, in a low GC car, you have to be in a constant lookout for surface as well as traffic. This tires me. And night driving is easier in a high seated vehicle.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 09:53   #162
BHPian

Looking at your requirement,XUV W4 would be a good choice. It has all the required safety features and Mahindra has done a good job in cleaning up the initial niggles that came with the XUV.
Have been with my XUV for 2+ years now and haven't regretted it
Old 24th January 2014, 10:41   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Might not.

In a high GC vehicle, you have to keep scanning for traffic and not about the surface, whereas, in a low GC car, you have to be in a constant lookout for surface as well as traffic. This tires me. And night driving is easier in a high seated vehicle.
Totally agree if the roads are bad around where you live. For our average sized potholes etc, even a C segment sedan can safely negotiate that. I guess its a compromise you will have to make. Either suffer higher engine noise, body roll etc etc or be extra alert for that innocent looking but bone jarring pothole.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:15   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Akshay, I had looked at the Yeti when I was looking for at an SUV, the two main reasons I stayed away was I found the yeti a little small. And the main reason was Skoda's greatly reputed A.S.S, how has your experience been with service?

All my friends who own Skoda's in Bangalore told me to stay away.
It is smaller than a full size suv no doubt. But it seats 4 in comfort and a 5th can squeeze in for a while. My experience with after sales has been good.

Enough of people here who own Skodas in Bangalore are perfectly happy with their service too.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:41   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to know why you didn't like Storm?! It's clearly a BIG improvement over Safari - but even I have had some issues with Storme during TD.

Other than this, the safest bet is XUV. If you are keen on Aria, then I think it's good to wait for an upgrade, which might be unveiled during Auto Expo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks