Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 09:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

If I was in your place, I would pick the XUV5OO. A lot more comfort features, a lot more power & a lot more safety equipment for the same price.

Regarding reliability, Mahindras usually dont have drivetrain issues. Max, you would have a GPS issue or tyre pressure sensor issue which would be easily solved.
Old 7th January 2012, 11:26   #17
BHPian

Re: Xuv vs innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Well let's admit that none of us is recommending driving at sustained speeds of 140
Exactly my point. But doesn't cruising @140 means sustained driving at 140?
Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 7th January 2012, 15:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
In the market for a long distance workhorse.
Requirements-
Comfort
Safety
Reliability
Power-Should cruise at 140
As for cruising at 140 - as many have pointed out, how often do you get to do this on our highways?

For comfort and reliability, Innova for sure.

For safety, it's really your call, whether you'd be ok with the safety level of Innova on offer with 'just 2 airbags' and also tinny sheet metal.
Old 7th January 2012, 19:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would pick the XUV because/iff;

1) You already have a Qualis
2) You want a vehicle which is better powered
3) You really dont want to put full grown adults in the third row
4) You do not mind the little glitches and can overlook the fit anf finish problem (though this one seems quite there)
5) You want a vehicle which is better looking and butch
6) Basically you want to drive yourself (though i drive the Innova myself many a times and its a complete pleasure)

Otherwise just get an Innova/ You are aware of the Toyota service and reliability.
Old 7th January 2012, 20:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Requirements-
Comfort
Safety
Reliability
Power-Should cruise at 140

I am super confused between the Innova and the Xuv...

...The Innova is underpowered today. And the top end one has just 2 airbags
A vehicle equipped with plenty of safety features doesn't guaranty that its actually safe. We don't know how a XUV performs in crash test neither we know about Innova (If someone know please share).

There are many other factors which play roll in vehicle's safety like how the vehicle behaves in panic situations when sudden braking or heavy under/over steer applied? how well controlled its body-roll is? etc.

If you meant by "cursing at 140" = engine should feel relaxed if it is driven on those kind of speeds on some stretched then XUV wins here, but I don't think a vehicle should be bought for this kind of high speed driving purpose solely. Indian driving condition haven't grown so mature which allow those kind of speeds (Safety Hazards).

Quote:
Any other vehicle I should look at? Prefer a high stanse for better visibility and lesser headlight glare because the vehicle is going to be used on national highways most of the time.
You didn't mention if you need third row seating or not so I think you should consider the upcoming Duster and Ecosport too, both have high seating position and offroading capabilities come as bonus with them, which feel mendatory in our Indian road conditions .
Old 7th January 2012, 20:07   #21
BHPian

I would pick the Innova any day. We have two Innovas, one has done 170000+ kms and is still going strong. The other has already crossed 50k.

The Innova is a kind of vehicle which will never disappoint you. Drive it at 120 all day and it feels great. And trust me on this, you will not need to go above 120 and we do not have the roads for high speeds. Plus, the fit and finish and the overall quality is miles ahead of the XUV. Sure, you will love all the features and gimmicks of the XUV initially but be prepared for service station visits regularly.

It rattles, its electronics are unreliable and the After sales of Mahindra is pathetic.

Last edited by DeKay : 7th January 2012 at 20:09.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 21:32   #22
BHPian

I prefer the looks of the innova.
I dont care about the gizmos a lot , if its there good if not , not missed.
I like 140bhp and 6 airbags , these are the 2 things that draw me towards the XUV,
I find the interiors of the innova better to touch.
Me,dad and driver gonna drive it.
The qualis is to be replaced.
Cruising at 140 is possible on the bom-pune eway, and the road to gujrat. I do it in my corolla ,and no its not zig zag racer boy driving, Dad is with me usually.

The heart says xuv, mind says innova
Old 7th January 2012, 22:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I prefer the looks of the innova.
I dont care about the gizmos a lot , if its there good if not , not missed.
I like 140bhp and 6 airbags , these are the 2 things that draw me towards the XUV,
I find the interiors of the innova better to touch.
Me,dad and driver gonna drive it.
The qualis is to be replaced.
Cruising at 140 is possible on the bom-pune eway, and the road to gujrat. I do it in my corolla ,and no its not zig zag racer boy driving, Dad is with me usually.

The heart says xuv, mind says innova
As a neutral reader your posts ( both of them) are shouting Innova from all angles. So go ahead with it. Get a race chip in it and you can easily maintain 140 all day long without the excessive engine noise.

XUV is all about glamour. The looks really get neutral in a few months and that is when you will start valuing the reliability and no nonsense nature of the Innova.

BTW why don't you also consider the Yeti? Do you need the 7 seats at all times? The car is loaded, well built, available at discounts and i think comes with more than 2 airbags and the likes.
Old 7th January 2012, 22:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

For all round comfort it is the Innova.

As far as cruising at 140, I would never risk that on any MUV/SUV on Indian roads, except may be on a access controlled expressway. There are just too many impediments to a stress free cruise, and you may have to take sudden evasive action - a maneuver best avoided on a high CG vehicle.

As far as GC is concerned, Innova goes practically every where. It is the most popular taxi on the Manali Leh run, and if it can do that consistently, it can do any normal route with aplomb. The comfort for 6 persons in a properly configured Innova with captain seats, is hard to beat in all but the high end SUV costing four times more.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 00:12   #25
BHPian

The yeti, top end with the 140 hp and 6 air bags is beyond my reach and the rear can't seat 3 in comfort very cramped.
Old 8th January 2012, 00:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
XUV is all about glamour. The looks really get neutral in a few months and that is when you will start valuing the reliability and no nonsense nature of the Innova.
Agree with that. No one admires those looks after the vehicle gets older and keeps visiting the service station very often for minor or major glitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW why don't you also consider the Yeti? Do you need the 7 seats at all times? The car is loaded, well built, available at discounts and i think comes with more than 2 airbags and the likes.
Not only loaded with safety features, it has got 5 star safety ratings too in Euro NCAP crash tests. Such a higher rating is pretty hard to find in such MUVs/SUVs, atleast in those which are available in India below Rs. 20 lakh price tag.
Old 8th January 2012, 04:16   #27
BHPian

Well almost all the post above say, one way or the other, that XUV is unreliable, has niggles etc. Do they have firsthand experience?
I have driven my XUV on the worst roads of MP and have driven it at 160 many a times(when the road permit). The car is niggle free and its behavior on the road is unmatched. Obviously XUV don’t have a track record of clocking 1.5-2lk KM but I am confident enough about it. Borrow it from someone for a day and drive it in the city with lots or traffic and take it out on expressway. The engine is rev-happy. It handles better than my Verna in panic situations.
Yeti could be an option if you have something against XUV
rohitbagai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 12:24   #28
BHPian

Lately i have been also thinking the Yeti way.Its very composed at high speed and pretty refined which you cannot say for innova,safety wise it has been proven worldwide,can be used in city(no parking problems),quality is up there with d class sedans-ala superb.The only catch is that its basically a 4+1(child) seater-if you can live with that,relatively trouble free(have not yet seen a single thread about yeti having problems inspite of being a skoda) I think its a very good choice.
drchernish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 18:19   #29
BHPian

Test drove the yeti, more car like drive +1. More car like low seating-1.
Very very well built,plush and luxurious, BUT still it can't grab 3lacs more from my pocket.
Old 8th January 2012, 22:16   #30
BHPian

Test drove the Xuv. Really nice
Engine. Tires chirp in second gear. Very good handling for a big vehicle. Clutch isn't bad as most reviews. Spacious. 2 nd row just a notch below the Innova. Not adjustable ;(. Tomorrow I ll test drive the Innova.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks