Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 19:20   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

In the market for a long distance workhorse.
Requirements-
Comfort
Safety
Reliability
Power-Should cruise at 140

I am super confused between the Innova and the Xuv.
I use a qualis and a corolla. Extremely happy with the reliability and after sales experience of Toyota.
I am a little paranoid about mahindra's reliability after dumping a ton of electronics in the Xuv.
The Xuv interiors felt downmarket or not as plush as the Innova is a mote accurate way to put it.
The seats in the Xuv felt harder. Don't know how it feels after a 2-3 hr drive
The Innova is underpowered today.
And the top end one has just 2 airbags

So there s my problem in life.
Any other vehicle I should look at? Prefer a high stanse for better visibility and lesser headlight glare because the vehicle is going to be used on national highways most of the time.
Old 6th January 2012, 19:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Xuv vs innova

Basis your spelled out requirements (rating scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best):
XUV Innova
Comfort 7 8
Safety 8 6 (ESP/4 extra airbags makes the difference)
Reliability 6 8 (XUV is untested long term, but Mahindra
has relatively poorer scores Vs Toyota)
Power 8 6
--- ---
29 28
What tilts the scale in my opinion :
Looks 7 5
Personalilty 8 6 (I wouldnt be caught dead driving an
Innova,no offence - but my choice)
Gizmos 8 5
--- ---
23 16

Total 42 34

Your call completly buddy !
cheers
Sid
sidwadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 19:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Paras, if you can overlook the XUV5OO's teething issues, poor fit & finish, electrical glitches and would not need use the third row for seating adults, I would advise you to take the plunge and get the XUV5OO. If you are as paranoid as I am about Mahindra's electronics, then better still get the XUV in the W6 trim sans any new tech. The cruising mannners of the XUV are really worth that much risk taking over the Innova, and it even has a better image than the Innova.

The chassis of the Innova may be good enough for 140 kmph odd, but the engine feels stressed at above 120 kmph, I usually stick to speeds between 80 - 100 kmph while cruising, as beyond that the motor of the Innova gets kind of boomy and audible in the cabin.
manson is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 20:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I use a qualis and a corolla. Extremely happy with the reliability and after sales experience of Toyota.
I am a little paranoid about mahindra's reliability after dumping a ton of electronics in the Xuv.
The Xuv interiors felt downmarket or not as plush as the Innova is a mote accurate way to put it.
The seats in the Xuv felt harder. Don't know how it feels after a 2-3 hr drive
The Innova is underpowered today.
And the top end one has just 2 airbags
I think you have yourself answered your query. The Innova is a proven workhorse. It will not give you any reasons to worry till a decade easily. Mine has done 82k kms and still is totally trouble free and runs like a charm. Also the biggest plus is that you can easily carry 7 people with decent comfort levels even on long journeys. I have myself travelled on the last seat for some long distance drives.

The XUV is a great product too. I myself voted it as the best car of 2011. But the recent reports about problems is not very encouraging. Also combining it with not so good after sales team is a let down. Specially when you are used to Toyota standards.

But The Innova will not do 140. It can but the engine starts making a lot of noise after 120. Also as you rightly said there are only 2 airbags. You can maybe get a Pete's box. There are some threads on the same, have a look at them.

If you go the XUV way then probably skip the W8 as thats the fully loaded one and has maximum chances of malfunctions.

You can probably also wait for the new Tata safari or a scorpio.

Last edited by drmohitg : 6th January 2012 at 20:34.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 20:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Innova it is. There is no way you re going "cruise" at 140 kmph in India.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 20:46   #6
BHPian

If you have owned Toyota's, the fit and finish of Mahindra will probably leave something to be desired. And the XUV may/will not be as niggle free as the innova.
Mahindra service is not close to Toyota standards.

As someone who owns an innova, I did not like the XUV interiors and finish, but my neighbor liked it because it was a natural upgrade to his scorpio.

Basicall

You need to make the call between something tried and tested and reliable and with more space v/s the flashy new kid on the block which has a lot of potential.

p.s. Innova easily cruises at 140 on the expressway, stock and steady.

Strain is felt at 150.
genesis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 21:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Upgrading vehicle booking for my friend from Scorpio to XUV was easy choice for a couple of reasons:
1. better handling
2. sudden breaking response
3. good turning
4. higher GC

However, there are still a couple of electronic issues although it has not yet broken down or shown any issues with starting/stalling so far, the Mahindra A.S.S. is still to be experienced but the delivery was really shabby and un-customer friendly with an attitude of "we are giving you something, if you want it take it, we dont care if you dont".

However, the XUV has been performing very well both in city and highway cruising. XUV definitely looks like a nicely engineered vehicle but the reliability, only time will tell.

On ther other hand, I have a niggle-free Innova from the first batch of productions running into 7th yr. And it is the reason that I do not like XUV from the fit and finish, reliability (having heard and seen many stories), although I like XUV for its performance and power throughput. Innova feels pretty shabby in front of it with meagre specs of 102BHP, 200Nm and 30mm low GC than XUV (not good for rough terrains). BUT mind well, that does not stop it from being a highway cruiser. Have definitely experienced frequent cruises on Mumbai-Pune Epxressway without even a hint of toppling over even on corners at 120-130-140 (kindly understand, this is not to advocate such high speed but do try to stick to the speed regulations). As genesis says above, it strains above 150 (already loud above 120) but I have still experienced pretty stable ride at 160 on straight drive. However, on straight drive XUV will beat Innova hollow to the core and I have experience of trying to catch my friend's XUV in futility.

If you can live with the fit and finish and prospective niggles of XUV, then you should pick up XUV, Not because of the goodies it offers but it seems like a very good engineered car with a hefty powerplant underneath, good comfort and space for 5 people.

However, if you do not want to take any chances, Innova it is for you as it ticks all the boxes in your requirement, additionally can easily carry 7 adults for long travels with decent boot space even for big suitcases and bags.

Last edited by parsh : 6th January 2012 at 21:24.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 21:21   #8
BHPian

Well quite frankly nothing compares to the peace of mind and smile that an innova gives you miles after miles. The fit, finish, quality of material, comfort ( especially the last row ) is the best i have seen till date, love the one with captain seats. The XUV is a strong contender no doubt but i feel there may be issues and niggles one after the other, its in its teething stage add to it the A.S.S. which is another area where we can not compare the toyota & mahindra. An important thing i would like to mention is the resale value, toyota & maruti are the leader in resale , a friend of mine is a car dealer & he keeps looking for any Qualis or Innova as people are ready to shell out money based on the reliability and goodwill.

One personal suggestion, after owning Innova, Safari & a Scorpio i would simply rate Toyota>Mahindra>Tata, no offence meant. Best of luck with your choice.
Old 6th January 2012, 21:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
I
p.s. Innova easily cruises at 140 on the expressway, stock and steady.

Strain is felt at 150.
I beg to differ. Having driven Innova on Mumbai Pune expressway, It feels stressed above 120 & though you can drive at 140, there is a certain lack of confidence in engine capabilities & a small bit of concern on handling front.
nawalsingal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 21:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawalsingal View Post
I beg to differ. Having driven Innova on Mumbai Pune expressway, It feels stressed above 120 & though you can drive at 140, there is a certain lack of confidence in engine capabilities & a small bit of concern on handling front.

Well let's admit that none of us is recommending driving at sustained speeds of 140
Old 6th January 2012, 21:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Innova is the choice that i would make. I personally prefer Quality, reliability and customer treatment when i would spend 15 lacs.

When someone is providing a reliable product at the same price with one of benchmark customer services, why not put your money on them?

After the initial "honeymoon period" is over, you would definetly prefer reliability over everything else. trust me.
Old 6th January 2012, 23:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

I will buy XUV over Innova, only for its (different) look. If any other parameter takes precedence over look, Innova will be my choice.
Old 6th January 2012, 23:22   #13
SDP
Team-BHP Support

If you hadn't owned Toyotas, I would have suggested XUV without even thinking.

Reliability would prompt the Innova, but what's life with a little bit of adventure?

Go with the Chitah! Not being a domesticated animal (like your other option - the work-horse), it is going to give you a few troubles during the initial months. But when those are sorted out, you are going to love it.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 05:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

I guess as one of the requirements is reliability, you will have to end up choosing the Innova. You will have to decide which is a more important requirement (Reliability or Cruzing at 140).

Another alternative would be wait for a few months and let the initial niggles on the XUV get sorted out by Mahindra, and then take the plunge.
Old 7th January 2012, 09:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Innova it is. There is no way you re going "cruise" at 140 kmph in India.

Spot on !
I bet neither of these vehicles nor the general road conditions qualify for cruising at 140 kmph !
Innova is still the nearest thing one can get to perfection (just the engine feels little old now)

If you want to try something different and exciting keeping in mind some minor compromises and niggles, XUV should be a more exciting car.

If car is all about peace of mind for you : Innova
If it is a peace of heart : XUV

Last edited by Turbokick : 7th January 2012 at 09:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks