Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 17:02   #1
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner : Automatic or Manual?

I am happily driving the XUV500 for over two months now.
No complaints with the vehicles,all the problems are rectified by the workshop.

I am in love with the new fortuner.I am thinking of passing the XUV to my dad and I drive the new fortuner.

I am never ever going to offroad in the fortuner,90% city driving,one trip to Goa every month Nh4 highway.

Should I buy the manual or the Automatic?What will be the FE for AT fortuner?

I really dont enjoy manual cars and the lesser FE with the AT is ok for me.

Called up Lakozy and they said they are accepting the bookings and delveries start Jan end.

Which one should I go for?
Old 12th January 2012, 17:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: New fortuner AT or manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
I am never ever going to offroad in the fortuner,90% city driving,one trip to Goa every month Nh4 highway.

Called up Lakozy and they said they are accepting the bookings and delveries start Jan end.

You yourself has the answer. It has to be an AT considering your statement in bold.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 19:16   #3
BHPian

Well, you answered your own question.
Go for the AT. Its perfect for use in the city.

Since you don't go off road, I don't think you will miss the 4x4.
Old 12th January 2012, 19:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

More then the no off-roading i would say 90% city driving would help if its a automatic, as on highway it does not make much of a difference as the gear changes are minimal.

If it was even 50% highway i would have recommended manual.
Old 13th January 2012, 16:36   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Automatic or Manual?

You already have an SUV & need another vehicle for 90% city driving. Why on earth would you buy another SUV??!! Since you have the budget for a premium car, go get yourself a premium automatic diesel sedan (Cruze, Jetta, Laura, new Sonata coming up etc.).

The diesel AT sedan will be far superior in the city, and infinitely better on the Mumbai - Goa highway. Lighter, faster, more driving pleasure, superior handling, braking, ride quality and more. Plus, unlike the 20 lakh SUVs, the 15 - 20 lakh sedans have premium interiors and a lot of kit too.

You always have the XUV for when you need an SUV (damn, didn't mean for it to rhyme ). Go out and drive some premium sedans, the driving experience will blow you away.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 16:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kedar, how you doing?

An SUV makes zero sense for you, and you really are going about it all wrong IMHO. You don't buy an SUV wondering which transmission you should choose or wondering about it's Fuel Efficiency.

Yes, those should be considerations, but only if you plan to offroad. And you don't plan to offroad at all!

Why not look at a Diesel AT Sedan, as pointed out by GTO? The Laura Elegance Diesel AT would be my pick, just perfect for city use and is terrific for highway runs from what everyone tells me. I'm not sure the Cruze is for you only because of its limited space and the Jetta should be out only because it's a more expensive option that looks like the Vento to many people (even if petrolheads CAN tell the difference).

Think about it. With that kind of budget, you can pick and choose between the XUV and the Laura. Those are two terrific choices to have, very different types of cars that you can pick and choose from

If I were you and still went ahead with the Fortuner though, I'd pick the AT. It's too early to gauge the FE, but don't think that it's going to blow your socks off. Seriously, consider the Laura. The latest one really is something else and perfect on paper for you with your regular highway runs and what not.

Edit: I remember you have/had a Superb. You've still got it? If so, a Laura becomes slightly pointless. But my point still stands, ze T-Fort makes zero sense too.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 13th January 2012 at 16:47. Reason: Fuzzy memory...
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 16:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Guys, some like SUVs & they would choose SUVs over sedans any day. I am myself one among them.

It does not matter if its city drive or highway, an SUV feels more comforable to me, much more than a sedan. Thats when corrrovers like Aria, XUV, etc. come into picture providing the perfect blend between SUVs & sedans.

Coming to the topic, kedar - for your kind of driving, I would pick the Fortuner A/T.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 13th January 2012 at 17:02.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
I am happily driving the XUV500 for over two months now.
No complaints with the vehicles,all the problems are rectified by the workshop.

I am in love with the new fortuner.I am thinking of passing the XUV to my dad and I drive the new fortuner.

Usually AT of any model gives 1 or 2 kmpl less than their manual versions. Go for AT, specially if its going to be a self driven vehicle, its a bliss in city driving and doesn't make a big difference on highway.

I understand the sedan point but they are a segment below Fortuner, the new Fortuner is a class of its own plus its latest. So if you have the means then why not Fortuner.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You already have an SUV & need another vehicle for 90% city driving. Why on earth would you buy another SUV??!! Since you have the budget for a premium car, go get yourself a premium automatic diesel sedan (Cruze, Jetta, Laura, new Sonata coming up etc.).

The diesel AT sedan will be far superior in the city, and infinitely better on the Mumbai - Goa highway. Lighter, faster, more driving pleasure, superior handling, braking, ride quality and more. Plus, unlike the 20 lakh SUVs, the 15 - 20 lakh sedans have premium interiors and a lot of kit too.

You always have the XUV for when you need an SUV (damn, didn't mean for it to rhyme ). Go out and drive some premium sedans, the driving experience will blow you away.
I agree with GTO.

Even if you enjoy the big-boy feel of an SUV in the city, I'd still recommend trying out some of the D-segment diesel AT sedans. In particular, try the Cruze, the Laura, and the Jetta.
If you find you like them, great. If not, you've always got the Fortuner.

Btw... there's a new Fortuner out in 2012, if I recall. If you do decide you want another SUV and that it has to be a Fortuner, I'd recommend holding out for the newer model.
Old 13th January 2012, 18:08   #10
BHPian

Go for AT if its more city driving. And bring SUV only, I know guys having 4-5 SUV
Old 13th January 2012, 18:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

You just sold a Superb tdi right? Why not another car like that? I mean didn't you find the driving experience going down coming from a Superb to an XUV?
Old 12th April 2012, 18:12   #12
BHPian

a bit late to suggest.... but anyways...

i would also check the santa fe AT. since you said you are not going to off road much, makes more sense. it has a really powerful engine and much more features compared to the t-fort. and in my opinion, the t-fort will make u feel a bit featureless after driving the loaded xuv!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks