Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 10:54   #61
BHPian

Re: From Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPi to a Grand Vitara. Or something else?

Thanks a lot.
yeah the 2.4 for8 seems nice, depending on the condition
Oldmonk dirves a 2.4 he will be a better judge about its economy.
M sure the 2.4 is nicer to drive.

Impressions, I would have loved to test out the 2.4 ltr, but I was ok with the 2.0 as I dont think m going to be doing that much mountains,
so the 2.0 has no problem getting up to 140+
Alsom, just yesterday I got her in for a MAJOR service and replaced the plugs to new one, (Iridium ones were recommended) and she feels better now.

Last edited by nanu28 : 20th March 2012 at 10:57.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:37   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I am also considering a used GV 2.4L. I can see price quoted around 8 lacs for a 2.4L MT, 2007 38K on the odo, which is tempting..
That somebody is taking you for a ride. The 2.4L GV came out only in 2009. Earlier ones (2007-2008) were 2.0L only.

The 2.4L was launched in July 2009: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1366213

Last edited by Samurai : 20th March 2012 at 11:40.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That somebody is taking you for a ride. The 2.4L GV came out only in 2009. Earlier ones (2007-2008) were 2.0L only.

The 2.4L was launched in July 2009: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1366213
ah! Its carwale taking me for a ride then.. there are 2 listings of 2.4L (one MT and AT) both 2007 make. Thank you for the info though. I will be in delhi tomorrow, so would be searching in few dealerships.. If I get my hands on a GV, there are too much to ask for help from you and other owners

Quote:
Impressions, I would have loved to test out the 2.4 ltr, but I was ok with the 2.0 as I dont think m going to be doing that much mountains,
so the 2.0 has no problem getting up to 140+
Alsom, just yesterday I got her in for a MAJOR service and replaced the plugs to new one, (Iridium ones were recommended) and she feels better now.
That is great! When it is fully loaded, how comfortably can it do 140+? And how much mileage are you getting so far?
Old 20th March 2012, 17:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
ah! Its carwale taking me for a ride then.. there are 2 listings of 2.4L (one MT and AT) both 2007 make. Thank you for the info though. I will be in delhi tomorrow, so would be searching in few dealerships.. If I get my hands on a GV, there are too much to ask for help from you and other owners

That is great! When it is fully loaded, how comfortably can it do 140+? And how much mileage are you getting so far?

Yeah, carwale doesn't have correct listing its the dealers who dont know much I guess.

Check out the vehicle first and then start to think more.

And ask OldMonk says, yeah the GV 2.4 only came out in 2009 so its VERY hard to find out used, nonetheless Good Luck for your search.

Old 22nd March 2012, 12:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I am more or less decided on a used GV, yeah, a petrol SUV, because I won't be using that much... so I called up a dealer in delhi, and they said they have a single owner, grey, 2008 GV 2.4L MT April 2008, done 56000 kms. When I confronted that 2.4L was launched in 2009, they are saying it is one of the first few lots of the new GV that was brought to India.. so, I am unsure what to believe in. Anyway, will be looking at it, later this evening.. asking price is around 9 lacs, but its negotiable.. My budget is 7 lacs for a 2.0, and 8 for a 2.4. of course, should be single owner, less than 50K on the odo.. am I being too optimistic on the price front? This is going to be my first used car experience, so any advises are welcome

Last edited by iTNerd : 22nd March 2012 at 12:26. Reason: adding more contents
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:45   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I am more or less decided on a used GV, yeah, a petrol SUV, because I won't be using that much... so I called up a dealer in delhi, and they said they have a single owner, grey, 2008 GV 2.4L MT April 2008, done 56000 kms. When I confronted that 2.4L was launched in 2009, they are saying it is one of the first few lots of the new GV that was brought to India.. so, I am unsure what to believe in. Anyway, will be looking at it, later this evening.. asking price is around 9 lacs, but its negotiable.. My budget is 7 lacs for a 2.0, and 8 for a 2.4. of course, should be single owner, less than 50K on the odo.. am I being too optimistic on the price front? This is going to be my first used car experience, so any advises are welcome
Be careful re the ownership papers. If you have a contact in the MASS u can check out the service history. Just looking at the car will tell you if it has been well cared for.- If the owner has taken good care & papers are clean just go for it. All the best.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:55   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I confronted that 2.4L was launched in 2009, they are saying it is one of the first few lots of the new GV that was brought to India.. so, I am unsure what to believe in. Anyway, will be looking at it, later this evening..
Should be easy to check, the 2.4L has 17 inch wheels and 6-CD changer. The 2.0L has 16 inch wheels and single CD.

You can check with Oldmonk about any specific engine markings.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:35   #68
BHPian

To add to samurai,
the 2.4 has VVT on the sides,
has Disk Brakes at the back as well,
has a slightly different grill,
has a digital climate control.

I doubt it is a 2.4 if its 2008, but I could be wrong.

Simple just ask him the VIN or engine number and you will be able to tell the engine.
nanu28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:34   #69
Senior - BHPian

I visited 2 dealers, both Mahindra First Choice (GK-1 and Vasant Kunj). Only one of them had a GV on their premise, which was advertised as a 2.4L, but it came out to be 2.0. The dealer didn't know it was 2.0, until I told them about the 6 spokes alloys, 6 CD changer in the 2.4 version.. anyway the asking price was high for 2.0 (9 lacs), though it was a well maintained car with no visible body scratch or repair. Done 51K on the odo, April 2008 make, and have all the servicing papers. After some negotiations, the offer came down to 8.5 lacs with new insurance. The other GV was of 2007 make, 38K done, asking price was 8.5 lacs, but on the phone itself, they were ready to offer it at 8 lacs. However, I still feel, both of these are overpriced by a lac.. The condition of the first one is in showroom conditions, may be they have refurbished it, but from the looks of it and underbody, appears to be well maintained with no abuse.. I guess need to keep looking for more in the coming days..

Last edited by iTNerd : 22nd March 2012 at 19:38.
Old 25th March 2012, 22:06   #70
BHPian

yeah they seem over priced at 8.0 Lacvs, 7.0 would be sweet, thats how much I picked up mine for.

Just got in after a 100 Kms trip from Pune to Goa and back.
She flies I took the GV to about 155+ and she seem to be more stable than any other SUV I have driven.
Though, you need to play with the gears to make her really go, but thats no issue.
There were 3 of us in the car and my dog (Belgian Malinos) and she returned an avg fuel consumption for 12. I am glad with it.
Infact I feel it is the best vehicle for this sort of stuff.....

Quote:
I visited 2 dealers, both Mahindra First Choice (GK-1 and Vasant Kunj). Only one of them had a GV on their premise, which was advertised as a 2.4L, but it came out to be 2.0. The dealer didn't know it was 2.0, until I told them about the 6 spokes alloys, 6 CD changer in the 2.4 version.. anyway the asking price was high for 2.0 (9 lacs), though it was a well maintained car with no visible body scratch or repair. Done 51K on the odo, April 2008 make, and have all the servicing papers. After some negotiations, the offer came down to 8.5 lacs with new insurance. The other GV was of 2007 make, 38K done, asking price was 8.5 lacs, but on the phone itself, they were ready to offer it at 8 lacs. However, I still feel, both of these are overpriced by a lac.. The condition of the first one is in showroom conditions, may be they have refurbished it, but from the looks of it and underbody, appears to be well maintained with no abuse.. I guess need to keep looking for more in the coming days..
Old 26th March 2012, 08:12   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been silently following this thread so far.

Once you get beyond the instant gratification of cost per tank full of fuel (a.k.a. petrol vs diesel) GV is fine vehicle indeed. The only other vehicle which runs more planted is the Forester. I am partial towards GV because I have taken it to places and through tracks that many a off-roader warrior would not try. Rock stable reliability, utilitarian luxury and low maintenance costs gives me a perfect vehicle for my needs.

I am going to be looking for another vehicle later this year / early next year as my current one would be five year old. GV is still the top of list contender.

Best of luck in finding a good second hand piece. If you do not pick it up do give me a buzz/PM
Old 26th March 2012, 10:44   #72
BHPian

Grand Vitara's first 21 days/1000Kms with me.

Sir if you are looking for an upgrade to 2.4 that would be very nice for you. Seeing all your threads, you really do utilize this vehicle well.
I did find it a bit under powered, but its really ok for me for now,once you start playing with the gearbox, it is fine, but yeah up in the Himalayas once the air becomes thinner, this engine will be cumbersome to overtake in. Dunno yet though you can shed more light.

Also, this is a very specific question since you have done this mnore than a few times, isnt Tandi (Beforer Keylong) to Leh abouit 450 Kms? So if I tank up at Tandi, how much fuel were you left with while at Leh. Going by my Goa ride, I was at 3/4th tank in about 470Kms, but thats the plains also, and a highway, I am sure it will consume more up there. Did you keep a spare jerry can of petrol or it had the milage to cover that distance at that altitude? maybe I should ask this question in one of your threads.

Also, though I did not get time to take her to the beach at Arambol, I was quite sure she could be driven on the sand wiuthout a fuss. Anyhow I did get time to clim up a hill next to Little Vagator, no I did not even need to use the 4Lock at all, just the torque and Ground clearance was enough to get up there, after about an Hour up there a Audi Q5 decided to join us, but I was glad to see someone else also try the hill, the view was amazing.

The best thing about the Grand Vitara I noticed is that if you ever cross one on the road, you are sure to exchange a smile with the other driver, I don't know what it is, I crossed a silver one on my way back and there was a smile and a wave and now I see a black one around my house too

Oh yeah ! also crossed some Desert Storm Official on the way, and waved out to 'em it was a land cruiser, I don't know who it was exactly.

Also someone termed the car as a Bad roader, and couldn't be more right, there is a patch after one gets off the NH4 towards Amboli ghat which is a broken bad road, and really the GV is a bliss to drive here, really takes on the bad road with pride, I realized this when I saw oither were doiung a mere 20Kms, those include Scorpios and Pajeros and I could cruise close to 60 odd. Handling is brilliant there, she does come into her own.

Anyhow here are some more pics:

Thanks a lot for reading and replying
Have a nice day

MODS: if you think it is turning out more into an ownership report please move the thread/post there then.
As I intend to update it often. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Have been silently following this thread so far.

Once you get beyond the instant gratification of cost per tank full of fuel (a.k.a. petrol vs diesel) GV is fine vehicle indeed. The only other vehicle which runs more planted is the Forester. I am partial towards GV because I have taken it to places and through tracks that many a off-roader warrior would not try. Rock stable reliability, utilitarian luxury and low maintenance costs gives me a perfect vehicle for my needs.

I am going to be looking for another vehicle later this year / early next year as my current one would be five year old. GV is still the top of list contender.

Best of luck in finding a good second hand piece. If you do not pick it up do give me a buzz/PM

Last edited by nanu28 : 26th March 2012 at 10:50.
Old 26th March 2012, 21:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Nanu28, your GV gels well with the coast line! Someday, I hope to do the same. GV 2.4L is so rare that no dealers I have approached, have it. However, found one in olx.in, 2010 MT, 15K kms and asking price is 13.5 lacs. Is it a good buy, considering I can get a new yeti on diet, in that budget. I am also looking at Outlander based on some recommendations and I am liking it too. There is one, 2010, 40K kms, asking around 13 lacs.My budget max is 10 lacs, but think one of the above could be brought down around the level I am hoping for.

the question is, which one you would recommended?
1. 2010 GV 2.4L, 15K kms - 13.5 lacs
2. 2010 Outlander 2.4L, 40 Kms -13 lacs

(To mods: I am posting here, as I don't want to be informed by moderators that the thread I started is closed again, because a similar one exists. If this particular posting deserves a new thread, please do create one)

Last edited by iTNerd : 26th March 2012 at 21:40.
Old 27th March 2012, 06:23   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

GV would be a better buy IMHO.
Less odo. Less expensive to maintain.
Old 27th March 2012, 15:02   #75
BHPian

If you notice that olx.in link is of a sponsored ad of Car wale itself, I think that car does not exist, do check and let us know.

Thanks, she does look nice by a coastline, but sadly I did not have time to take better pics or take her out on the beach, which was on the agenda.

Quote:
Nanu28, your GV gels well with the coast line! Someday, I hope to do the same. GV 2.4L is so rare that no dealers I have approached, have it. However, found one in olx.in, 2010 MT, 15K kms and asking price is 13.5 lacs. Is it a good buy, considering I can get a new yeti on diet, in that budget. I am also looking at Outlander based on some recommendations and I am liking it too. There is one, 2010, 40K kms, asking around 13 lacs.My budget max is 10 lacs, but think one of the above could be brought down around the level I am hoping for.

the question is, which one you would recommended?
1. 2010 GV 2.4L, 15K kms - 13.5 lacs
2. 2010 Outlander 2.4L, 40 Kms -13 lacs

(To mods: I am posting here, as I don't want to be informed by moderators that the thread I started is closed again, because a similar one exists. If this particular posting deserves a new thread, please do create one)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks