Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 15:07   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Very strong statement that. It is not being launched in it's 4x4 avatar at the moment but the 4x2 on offer is no pushover. It is popular in France as it has proven itself as the Dacia Duster in some of the harshest terrains in Romania as well as Turkey and wherever else Renault sells it in North Africa etc. I do not want to start a keyboard war here but give the vehicle time to show everyone what it can or cannot do.

As for the bit about getting bogged down in Leh or similar terrain, well there are members on the forum who have conquered Leh in seemingly plain vehicles such as a Daewoo Matiz. This was the case nearly two decades ago when the road network up into J&K was in shambles, what to speak of roads in the region itself. The same gent was there last year in his 2WD Scorpio along with other vehicles including two swifts and an Alto. Yes an Alto and these guys went through some of the harshest terrain on offer. You can search for the thread on the forum "Humblehed...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Duster is a soft roader, and cannot take the abuse that the other SUV (Pajero, Scorpio, Safari, Fortuner etc) can. If I am not wrong it does not have a "Low" ratio transfer case. It is extremely popular in France as it can go on indifferent rural roads and can navigate through mild slush and snow, but in a tight situation it will get bogged down.
Old 4th July 2012, 15:08   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi

1. Captiva - iffy handling? I m surprised! I have driven it and while it may not be as much of a point and shoot as a Yeti, it is certainly a better handler than a Fortuner. Spacious, much lighter feel, creamy engine and with AWD it goes most places too.
2. Fortuner - older model + discount? Again I m surprised. Given the way the Fortuner is selling and the wait list there is, do you really think they will part with 7-8 lacs by way of discount to match the Yeti's price? I seriously have my doubts. Mostly because in general discounts are not commonly achieved from Toyota and lets not forget the demand for the Fortuner and its waiting list and their apparent inability to keep up!
3. Seriously consider an X Trail - this also gives you the best of both worlds and is a couple or three sizes bigger than the Yeti. Very nice un-ostentatious car, especially in its 2005-2011 avatar. The newer one is too blingy by half.
The Captiva, from what I ve driven, and it was a TD vehicle, does handle vaguely on bad roads. Of course, the fact that the 4WD is available only on the top end automatic version takes it out of the picture completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Captiva is an amazing handler, i have driven behind and ahead of it on a flat creamy highway and it almost always amazes me with the kind of speeds it does without much ado and drama.

On bad roads i have no idea, as i don't dare to take my Civic in those areas.

The only area i did not like Captiva is it does not come with Manual AWD option. Is there any rumor that the new captiva will have manual AWD as an option?

What Nilanjan says is correct, you might not get Fortuner at all, i just did a carwale search and the only Fortuners that are listed there are from Dealer itself, possibly a test drive car. None of the other buyers are even thinking of selling it (at-least from the carwale thats what it seems, which i know is not fully accurate). Furthermore the ones listed have not done any major miles, there is one 2012 model done 5500 Kms, wonder why dealer is trying to sell it off?
Pre owned Fortuners are actually a rare breed. Coming to a 2011 model, I m trying, let us see what happens.

However, the question here is:

IF I manage to find a 2011 Fortuner lying at a dealer, what price should I haggle it for? This is the new million rupee, nay, 2 million rupee question in my mind now.
Old 4th July 2012, 15:41   #153
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The two options shortlisted namely the fortuner and yeti seems appropriate. The others may in the long run be hard to maintain.

Considering that preowned for tuners are hard to come by at decent prices as yet and that a old unit lying unsold with a dealer is not probable somehow the yeti seems to be the best option at the price point.
Old 4th July 2012, 16:54   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The two options shortlisted namely the fortuner and yeti seems appropriate. The others may in the long run be hard to maintain.

Considering that preowned for tuners are hard to come by at decent prices as yet and that a old unit lying unsold with a dealer is not probable somehow the yeti seems to be the best option at the price point.
Well, I seem to zeroed down on a couple though and hence am looking at the possible price to be offered for them.
Old 10th July 2012, 18:26   #155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Fortuner has become too expensive...
I completely agree, however, what if...

Quote:
If you are willing to make a leap from 19 to 20 lacs on road for the Yeti, to 27 or 28 lacs for a Fortuner
Not really...read on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
The price difference between YETI and Fortuner is pretty wide. But a TOYOTA will outlive a SKODA any day.
Which, combined with the psychological factors mentioned elsewhere, still retains the Fortuner in my list...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Precisely but what I ve managed to do is....

I have the option of buying a brand new (old) Dec 2011 model of the Fortuner with a Toyota dealer at Bangalore. This dealer had 11 2011 vehicles that were supposedly 'thrust' upon him by Toyota in December/just before the launch of the new model and he has 3 more of them in stock.
Now the equation:

I m being offered a discount of INR 1.5 lac on the 2011 price of the vehicle which translates to an ex-showroom price of INR 19.00 lacs. I would need to add insurance and registration to it, which takes the deal to around 24 lac INR OTR Bangalore.

The 2011 kitted Yeti elegance 4wd, on the other hand, translates to around 20 lac OTR Bangalore.

Now gentlemen, at this juncture, what is a better financial deal in your esteemed opinion assuming that the 2011 vehicle is technically 100% in shape.

Before you come up with your views, I d like to share one more point. When I look at the prosective EMIs that I d be paying with a 15 lac INR loan (around INR 30,000.00 per month for 5 years), I slightly tremble, so, this, in all, likelyhood, will be my last vehicle purchase and hence a 3rd option that you suggest could also be for me to wait and collect some more money so that I can continue shopping for more models that would be launched over the next year or so (but I do not see any in the pipeline and if the economy goes up, these mouthwatering discounts too will go, IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
other vehicles including two swifts and an Alto. Yes an Alto and these guys went through some of the harshest terrain on offer. You can search for the thread on the forum "Humblehed...."
Which is a thought which NEVER ceases to escape my mind. Do we really need such expensive vehicles? But, but but....
Old 10th July 2012, 18:46   #156
Senior - BHPian

If you are really searching of 4X4 SUVs do not only search in Bangalore. Look at Mumbai and Delhi market as well. It can give you more options. There is Toyota Landcruiser Prado on sale in Mumbai in Carwale for 13 Lakh. Petrol version.

Used 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado VX (D341789) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale

You can give similar searches in Delhi and Chandigarh as well. Cars at Chandigarh would be less costly considering less Road Tax. This is not a bad idea. Our fellow mod Ajmat bought his Skoda from Mumbai and transferred to Bangalore.

Well, this suggestion is only for used car.

Last edited by anujmishra : 10th July 2012 at 18:49.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 20:19   #157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
If you are really searching of 4X4 SUVs do not only search in Bangalore.
Cars at Chandigarh would be less costly considering less Road Tax. This is not a bad idea.
This is a nice idea Anuj, let me trawl the internet, but you know, in hindsight, I m thinking if it would be prudent to purchase a pre owned vehicle as my last automobile.
Old 10th July 2012, 20:37   #158
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If you are funding your used car with your own savings without going for a loan, then go ahead. Else don't.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 21:11   #159
BANNED

Quote:
If you are funding your used car with your own savings without going for a loan, then go ahead. Else don't.
I will not retain my existing car when and if I go for the Fortuner or the Yeti.

I didn't understand the "funding your used car" part though...
Old 10th July 2012, 21:19   #160
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath

I will not retain my existing car when and if I go for the Fortuner or the Yeti.

I didn't understand the "funding your used car" part though...
Buy used cars without taking loans. Best.

If you re buying new, then its ok to take a loan.
Old 10th July 2012, 21:27   #161
BANNED

Quote:
Buy used cars without taking loans. Best.

If you re buying new, then its ok to take a loan.
Ah, now I understand that part. Naah, buying a used car, in this bracket, is a very remote thought at the moment, but I m waiting for your answer on the main question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Not to mention, the loan rate for new car is very low compared to used car loan, which is equal to a personal loan and is almost 50% higher than new car loan.
There are some banks which have the same interest rates for new and used cars, but that is besides the point here. For now, the question is between 20lac INR OTR Bangalore for the 2011 Yeti Elegance and 24lac INR OTR Bangalore for the 2011 Fortuner, which is a better decision, financially ONLY.

Last edited by n.devdath : 10th July 2012 at 21:52.
Old 11th July 2012, 09:50   #162
Senior - BHPian

Devnath,

My take: Given where you are, you need to ask yourself three basic questions:

1. How much rough use will you do to your vehicle

2. What kind of risks are you willing to take with your vehicle (e.g. night driving on bad highways where you might not be able to avoid bad potholes or bumps once in a while? Your vehicle should be tough enough to take it and keep moving)

3. Are you willing to compromise for # 1 & 2.

Think through these things, and your choice will become clear. I am not getting into TCO, space required etc. - I assume you know them well enough.

If you haven't done a Total Cost of Ownership analysis (downpayment, EMIs, servicing costs, buffer repair costs, resale value, ongoing fuel costs given your usage), you should do so now. For 2012 vehicles as well as used or 2011 new vehicles of different types in your consideration set.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 11th July 2012 at 09:56.
Old 11th July 2012, 10:03   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ah, now I understand that part. Naah, buying a used car, in this bracket, is a very remote thought at the moment, but I m waiting for your answer on the main question.

There are some banks which have the same interest rates for new and used cars, but that is besides the point here. For now, the question is between 20lac INR OTR Bangalore for the 2011 Yeti Elegance and 24lac INR OTR Bangalore for the 2011 Fortuner, which is a better decision, financially ONLY.
As Shankar very rightly put ir -analyse ur requirements vs ur wants. Then see whether it is necessary to pay maore for ur wants.. And remember a car is not an asset- It is a depreciating money sucking liability. So you need to finance it out of ur other income streams. A Rs. 4 lakhs savings on capital costs, if wisely invested, will generate enough cash flow to ease ur EMI burden substantially.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 20:47   #164
BANNED

Quote:
1. How much rough use will you do to your vehicle
50%

Quote:
2. What kind of risks are you willing to take with your vehicle (e.g. night driving on bad highways where you might not be able to avoid bad potholes or bumps once in a while? Your vehicle should be tough enough to take it and keep moving)
Yes, that is one of my prime requirements.

Quote:
3. Are you willing to compromise for # 1 & 2.
No way, even today, when I travel, I m confident of reaching my destination, which is usually more than 1000kms one way on all kinds of roads ONLY because I trust Hariya, completely.

Quote:
If you haven't done a Total Cost of Ownership analysis (downpayment, EMIs, servicing costs, buffer repair costs, resale value, ongoing fuel costs given your usage), you should do so now. For 2012 vehicles as well as used or 2011 new vehicles of different types in your consideration set.
This is pending and some guidance on doing this would be a great help.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:08   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Pre owned Fortuners are actually a rare breed. Coming to a 2011 model, I m trying, let us see what happens.

However, the question here is:

IF I manage to find a 2011 Fortuner lying at a dealer, what price should I haggle it for? This is the new million rupee, nay, 2 million rupee question in my mind now.
I thought I saw a pre-owned Fortuner in Royal Carz on 80 ft road Koramangala. I stay very hear - can check tomm morning if you are interested. Or you can call them up - look up Royal carz in the yellow pages or google it..
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks