Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 12:38   #226
BHPian

re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
but the older Pajero is too slow and thirsty.
Devdath - Following stats might help;

Is it really too slow?
Started Bangalore @ 5:30 AM
Reached Goa @ 3:30 PM
Total Distance (door to door): 707 kms
Total time taken: 10 hours
Route Taken: BLR - Karwar - Goa. In fact I bypassed Hubli and took the SH Via mundgod - which is not like the hubli - karwar road nor like blr -hubli road).
Break: About 1:15 hrs (breakfast, lunch, fuel stop, bio break, etc.,)
Even with break's average speed is 70 kmph. Touched top speed of 150kmph.

Pajero is slow only until you reach 60kmph & hit 5th gear. Post that - it's a pleasure. Yes - it's bit painful to drive in the city but with Bangalore's bumper to bumper traffic - neither you or anyone else will notice that lag!

Is it really thirsty?: Post 5k service (oil and filter change) - I am getting 10+ kmpl with 60% city drive and 40% highway drive.

I am not advocating you to buy Paj SFX - but just thought of stating the facts & my experience.

Yes, Paj SFX has it's own share of issues like lack of storage compartments, seat rattling, less electronics, poor ICE systems, etc., and in my view - all these can be managed.

My intention is not to do drag race - so, it fits my needs very well and I have learnt to live with it's share of issues.
maheshramaling is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 13:44   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Devdath - Following stats might help;

Is it really too slow?
Total Distance (door to door): 707 kms
Total time taken: 10 hours
What was the FE you got on this run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Is it really thirsty?: Post 5k service (oil and filter change) - I am getting 10+ kmpl with 60% city drive and 40% highway drive.
Nope, not thirsty if you are able to get 10kmpl at the speeds you have mentioned.

What have your service costs been thus far?
Old 8th October 2012, 14:05   #228
BHPian

Quote:
What was the FE you got on this run??
This was done before 5k service - and it has given only around 9. Only after the oil/ filter change - it improved to 10+. In my recent trips (chennai & mahabhalipuram) - I have got almost 12 kmpl where I maintained the speed in 100 to 120 range.

Quote:
What have your service costs been thus far?
As per service manual - first service is only due at the end of 1st year or 10K kms - because of the bad FE - I took it early around 5K itself. Just oil 7.8 Liters) and filter was changed and I don't remember the cost exactly (guess around 2k). Will check and let you know later.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 19:12   #229
BHPian

n.devdath, you sure are one patient man. I am also holding on to my Scorpio as the XUV is simply not there and the Toyota Fortuner not worth the money. The Hyundai Santa Fe sounds really good but the price is too high.
The Laura was my choice as well although its a Sedan, but isnt it an Old model by now..am sure its up for a Revamp as well.
Having done 5 yers with my scorpio and considering holding out for 1 more year..Hopefully the Tucson will make it to india.
sh@rpshooter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 14:03   #230
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
I am also holding on to my Scorpio as the XUV is simply not there and the Toyota Fortuner not worth the money. The Hyundai Santa Fe sounds really good but the price is too high.
The Laura was my choice as well although its a Sedan, but isnt it an Old model by now..am sure its up for a Revamp as well.
Having done 5 yers with my scorpio and considering holding out for 1 more year..Hopefully the Tucson will make it to india.
Thank you for the compliment sharpshooter. There is no option but to be patient however, there is some good news round the corner. The Laura may be old but is still an excellent machine and has appealed to me from the day it was launched. Take a TD of the Elegance DSG diesel and you simply cannot come away without being impressed. The facelift is at least a year away.

The Rexton holds some appeal to me and is launched at a competitive price and the new underdog, the Safari Storme sounds promising too.

I will now wait for them to show their true colors over the next couple of months since the Storme is yet to be launched here at Bangalore and the Rexton too will take its time in getting to our roads in ample numbers.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 14:28   #231
BHPian

after I posted the above io got my Tires replaced (Yokos) and took my scorpio to a drive to goa and back. I think I can ealily live with it for year..the tyre change made a pretty big difference in ride quality.

The only problem I have with the laura (And the VW Jetta) is that the 3rd person sitting in the middle in the back seat has to straddle the hump as well as have the AC vent out its cold between the legs !

I am also waiting for the Rexton..did read up and watch the You Tube videos of it..but will not be the first one to buy it .
BTW Also heard thant the Maruti Grand Vitara is getting relaunched as the XL7 with a diesel engine..not sure when.

BTW heard today that the Pajero Sport has a price drop of 1.87L Ex Showroom.
Old 26th October 2012, 22:19   #232
BHPian

Hi all,
I am planning for Safari EX or the Scorpio VLX. Getting a good deal on a 2011 VLX. Is it worth investing on 2011 VLX. Also what are the precautions I need to take before making a decision on 2011 vlx. I will be going to the yard to check on the old unsold vehicle.
Kindly advice.
Regards
KD
Old 26th October 2012, 22:48   #233
BANNED

Quote:
after I posted the above io got my Tires replaced (Yokos) and took my scorpio to a drive to goa and back. I think I can ealily live with it for year..the tyre change made a pretty big difference in ride quality.
Geolanders are excellent tires for the Scorpio.

Quote:
The only problem I have with the laura (And the VW Jetta) is that the 3rd person sitting in the middle in the back seat has to straddle the hump as well as have the AC vent out its cold between the legs !

I am also waiting for the Rexton..did read up and watch the You Tube videos of it..but will not be the first one to buy it .
I too have the same issue but if I do not get anything else that appeals, I ll just live with it, I cannot afford the Superb diesel.
Quote:
BTW Also heard thant the Maruti Grand Vitara is getting relaunched as the XL7 with a diesel engine..not sure when.

BTW heard today that the Pajero Sport has a price drop of 1.87L Ex Showroom.
The PS's ex-showroom price has reduced by 2.0 lac approximately.
The GV will not launch before the end of 2013.
Old 26th October 2012, 23:42   #234
BHPian

Quote:
The Rexton holds some appeal to me and is launched at a competitive price and the new underdog, the Safari Storme sounds promising too.
Any idea how is the body roll and steering feel in Rexton compared to storme ? Rexton is sweetly priced imo, price hike will be inevitable if it burns the sales charts

Last edited by blackbeast : 26th October 2012 at 23:43.
Old 27th October 2012, 08:41   #235
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdeshmukh View Post
Getting a good deal on a 2011 VLX. Is it worth investing on 2011 VLX. Also what are the precautions I need to take before making a decision on 2011 vlx. I will be going to the yard to check on the old unsold vehicle.
Scorpio stocks usually do not last with the dealerships and I m surprised to see a VLX lying around. Did you try to find out the reason? Also, unless you are getting a discount of at least 30% off the then ex-showroom price, drop it.
If you go ahead with the deal, remember the below points:
1. All fluids must be changed.
2. The battery must be replaced.
3. The warranty on the vehicle must start from the date of sale, not from the date of manufacture.
4. Purchase extended warranty mandatorily.
5. Clutch plates must be changed.
6. Brake pads and shoes must be changed.
7. Inspect the rubber beadings, packings, gaskets and the like very thoroughly and change whatever shows even a slight sign of weathering.
8. Get the vehicle's VIN for its precise date of manufacture.
9. Get the vehicle's odo reading checked by someone knowledgeable.
10. All the above changes must be done by the dealer, at his cost, in front of you, before delivery of the vehicle.
11. Since you are in Bombay, get the vehicle checked for any signs of rust/corrosion on the body panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Any idea how is the body roll and steering feel in Rexton compared to storme ?
The Rexton rolls as much as the Storme at low speeds but is better behaved at higher speeds.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 13:15   #236
BHPian

Hi.
I took a look at gte vehicle today. Checked vin.. it says Oct 2010. It's done 101 kms. Attached a few snaps. It's vlx bs3. I do have an address in rural Maharashtra so can get it registered there. Saw a small issue with rat bitten cover under the bonnet.
Please suggest what should I quote.
Some error on attachments. While uploading from my phone.
Regards
KD
Attached Images

Old 27th October 2012, 14:13   #237
BANNED

Quote:
Hi.
I took a look at gte vehicle today. Checked vin.. it says Oct 2010. It's done 101 kms.
This is not very good.
We are discussing a 2 year old vehicle standing in the yard when there is a waiting period for Scorpio deliveries. However, if you are keen on buying it, please follow the guidelines mentioned in my previous post and tell the dealer that you will need 5 new tires as well.

DO NOT OFFER MORE THAN 50% of the then ex-showroom price. You never know what has been wrong with the vehicle leading it to become a dead stock for 2 whole years.

OT: This discussion is taking the thread off topic. In case you have any other questions, please send me a PM or start a new thread.

Last edited by n.devdath : 27th October 2012 at 14:15.
Old 27th October 2012, 22:28   #238
BHPian

Tried sending a pm. It says permission denied.
Mods : please suggest if I am missing on any specific path. From the mobile app.
Regards
KD
Old 28th October 2012, 17:37   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Tried sending a pm. It says permission denied.
Newbies cannot send PMs. You can send me an email at n.devdath@gmail.com.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:29   #240
BANNED

***UPDATE***

I have two options available to me and am again stuck between a rock and a hard place...Gawddd

Request all viewers/members to post their opinion.

Option 1: A June 2010 Endy with 4wd AT done 14k kms with a single owner

Priced the same as

Option 2: A new Safari Storme Vx 4wd.

The discussion continues...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks