Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 12:43   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
***UPDATE***

I have two options available to me and am again stuck between a rock and a hard place...Gawddd

Request all viewers/members to post their opinion.

Option 1: A June 2010 Endy with 4wd AT done 14k kms with a single owner

Priced the same as

Option 2: A new Safari Storme Vx 4wd.

The discussion continues...
Endy AT 4x4 gives terrible FE something in the range of 6 Kmpl. Check Siddesh's thread and his Samara !
The Endy's ride quality is not something to write home about !

Safari would be a buy from the heart.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 13:25   #242
BHPian

Quote:
***UPDATE***

I have two options available to me and am again stuck between a rock and a hard place...Gawddd

Request all viewers/members to post their opinion.

Option 1: A June 2010 Endy with 4wd AT done 14k kms with a single owner

Priced the same as

Option 2: A new Safari Storme Vx 4wd.

The discussion continues...
wait for the Rexton reports and reviews ! it has very sober looks but seems pretty rugged. personally i have never liked the Endy in looks..a Tata Safari is a lot to be more comfortable

I am holding on till then or else spurge on a Sedan.

Last edited by sh@rpshooter : 30th October 2012 at 13:26.
sh@rpshooter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 13:39   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
wait for the Rexton reports and reviews ! it has very sober looks but seems pretty rugged.
The Rexton does not appeal to me, from the heart, maybe due to its brand, its lineage...I dunno, just doesn't call me to itself.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:57   #244
BHPian

Very interesting thread Devdath... spent the last 1.5 hours going through the whole thread... am also exactly in the same boat.

I have a 2007 Safari 2.2 that has just completed 5 years and 111,000 kms. Personally I am very happy with the car - had problems with the timing belt/ECU/etc and two breakdowns in the initial period because of its early problems - but after that have had no problems. My car is almost entirely self-driven - across all kinds of roads - but not OTR. I just came back from a drive to Goa and had absolutely no problems with the car - I normally drive at steady 120 with a full load of passengers and luggage without any issues.

I have had to change my brake pads once at 65K or 80K kms I think, changed the tyres once at 85K kms.

At the moment, there seem to be some repairs coming up - maybe around 30-40K worth.. brake pads, front discs, front shocks..

So I have been also thinking exactly like you of selling my Safari (although am just as happy to hold on to it) to upgrade to a 4x4, and was debating the same second-hand Pajero, XUV, Scorpio, used Endy, used Fortuner, etc. Requested for a Storme TD which they said hopefully they can give me next month.

One of the reasons I want to sell is a fear that an older car will start coming up with more maintenance expense. The other is the opportunity to upgrade to better features, etc. Based on the thread so far, my own thoughts are veering around to avoid the pre-owned cars. A new car with four-years of extended warranty and no maintenance hassles seems much better than to worry about parts availability, high cost of parts, rising maintenance costs, potential break-downs, hassle of identifying a good pre-owned, etc.

Eagerly looking forward to your updates to see which way you finally go!
Old 31st October 2012, 11:10   #245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_saraf View Post
So I have been also thinking exactly like you of selling my Safari (although am just as happy to hold on to it) to upgrade to a 4x4, and was debating the same second-hand Pajero, XUV, Scorpio, used Endy, used Fortuner, etc. Requested for a Storme TD which they said hopefully they can give me next month.
You know Anand, one of the biggest reasons of me veering away slightly from pre owned premium cars is their cost of spares and maintenance. The Fortuner is an exception but I hate it for its crudeness and ride quality and will not buy it in its current avatar unless I get a deal which is a steal.

Of all the people I spoke to, on the forum and beyond, most recommended a new Storme simply because its underpinnings are robust, the 2.2 engine has now matured to stable levels, it has a 3 yr/100,000km warranty as standard and hence peace of mind is kind of assured.

Let us see what shape things take from here on.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:39   #246
BHPian

Nice to know there are so many people on the same boat !. I am now sure that I will hold on for 1 more year and instead upgrade my Wifes Spark to a Fabia and use that for a family city driving . Let me learn from you and anand on the way ahead

I want a true upgrade from the scorpio and something i can hold on to for a very long time instead of a minor upgrade and thats whats making this decision so tough :(

n.devdath , completely agree with you on used cars..in fact the only reson I am even contemplating selling the scorpio, other than an upgrade is the worry about impending maintainance costs !

regarding the fortuner, had been my wishlist for a long time but as per someone who upgraded to it from a Safari, the ride quality is not really worth the upgrade and once your are inside an Innova is more comfortable..
Any idea on the Pajero Sports ?

Last edited by sh@rpshooter : 31st October 2012 at 11:44.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:48   #247
BANNED

Quote:
I want a true upgrade from the scorpio and something i can hold on to for a very long time instead of a minor upgrade and thats whats making this decision so tough :(
Precisely. The Scorpio is such a rounded package that it makes it hard to beat, on 99% of the fronts.

Quote:
n.devdath , completely agree with you on used cars..in fact the only reson I am even contemplating selling the scorpio, other than an upgrade is the worry about impending maintainance costs !
Naah, the Scorpio is N-E-V-E-R maintenance intensive IMO, at least the CRDe and the earlier versions.
Spares too, are priced reasonably and are now available in the open market too. Ask owners like GD_1418 whose vehicles have done 1.6 lac kms and they are still very happy with them.

In fact, I was at Leh a couple of months ago and Scorpios of all versions were the most successful taxis there.
At Khardung La, I chatted up with a driver of one such 2005 Scorpio done some 3.5 lac kms and asked him if he had any plans to sell it and he said: -

"Sahab, is gaadi ko kuch nahi hota, bas jo part kharab ho jaaye, use repair nahi karna, bas badal dena, aur yeh chalti rehti hai, main to ise apne bete ko dunga."
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:04   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Naah, the Scorpio is N-E-V-E-R maintenance intensive IMO, at least the CRDe and the earlier versions.
Spares too, are priced reasonably and are now available in the open market too. Ask owners like GD_1418 whose vehicles have done 1.6 lac kms and they are still very happy with them.
Well my own experience with my previous Ikon is that those "impending maintenance costs" do start building up... I ran that for about 100,000 kms and then suddenly every few months something was needing replacement and the parts cost even if "reasonable" do start adding up - plus it's a pain when you need to take it to the workshop every now and then.. that car too was well-cared for and self-driven.

On a different line, it hit me this morning, that if I had to buy a used car - my own car would probably be the best buy since I know the car in-and-out - what's good and what's bad! Hence, the thinking that either keep your current car - or buy a new one..
Old 31st October 2012, 17:26   #249
BANNED

Quote:
Well my own experience with my previous Ikon is that those "impending maintenance costs" do start building up...
This depends on the vehicle. For example, going by general data, a pre owned Toyota, Honda or a Ford if under 40k kms and 2 years, will have an effective lost cost life of at least 200,000 more km compared to a Mahindra or a Tata.

Quote:
On a different line, it hit me this morning, that if I had to buy a used car - my own car would probably be the best buy since I know the car in-and-out - what's good and what's bad! Hence, the thinking that either keep your current car - or buy a new one..
This is correct.

Anyway, I m going to TD the PS tomorrow and will update this thread post the TD experience.
Old 31st October 2012, 19:46   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath

Anyway, I m going to TD the PS tomorrow and will update this thread post the TD experience.
Now that's a move in the right direction.
What's the OTR of Pajero Sport in Bangalore ? Which variant are you considering ?
Old 31st October 2012, 21:35   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Now that's a move in the right direction.
What's the OTR of Pajero Sport in Bangalore ? Which variant are you considering ?
There is only one variant and the OTR is pretty hefty here at B'lore; 28.34 lac INR.

Gives me shudders...
Old 1st November 2012, 00:57   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is only one variant and the OTR is pretty hefty here at B'lore; 28.34 lac INR.

Gives me shudders...
28.4 L is too costly. Devdath, get out of Bangalore or buy it from a near by town. 28.4 L is outrageous.

I think you should go back to the STORME or even Yeti Manual 4x4. This is too much money to spend on a car which is not a BMW or AUDI or MERC.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:05   #253
BHPian

Quote:

Gives me shudders...
Are you sure that is after the announced 2 L drop ? this is really really sad
Old 1st November 2012, 12:02   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
28.4 L is too costly. Devdath, get out of Bangalore or buy it from a near by town. 28.4 L is outrageous.

I think you should go back to the STORME or even Yeti Manual 4x4. This is too much money to spend on a car which is not a BMW or AUDI or MERC.
Precisely my thoughts as well. Paying 29 lacs seeme extremely foolhardy unless one has the moolah to splurge on it.

Quote:
Are you sure that is after the announced 2 L drop ? this is really really sad
Yes, this is after the drop, unfortunately.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:42   #255
BHPian

I think you should TD the new Fortuner. I recently did a 8 day trip thru Himachal in a 4X4 Fortuner and did not find any thing wrong with its ride quality. The ride is firm, yes but not bumpy and harsh as its made out to be on various forums. Infact its build quality is really awesome and after driving thru some fairly harsh terrain there wasnt so much as a squeak in the car. I think more than anything else its the peace of mind and confidence that this car inspires as if challenging you to take it anywhere. Now if only they would launch the 4x4 version with an auto box...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks