Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 17:30   #301
BANNED

re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Just back from an extended test drive of the Tata Safari Storme VX 4WD and here are my observations vis-a-vis the XUV.

The Safari Storme in question had done some 5300kms while the XUV had 2000kms on its odo.

1. The XUV is simply much more peppier than the Storme and feels so, especially at high speeds. While the Storme struggled to exceed 140kmph on the highway, the XUV hits 170kmph effortlessly. Amazing.
2. The XUV is also the more refined beast of the two, whether inside or outside the vehicle, in terms of NVH.
3. The Storme is a far, far more comfortable vehicle than the XUV, especially on bad roads, high speed lane changes and when lightly loaded.
4. While the Storme's interiors are of a better quality, I was able to find a few rattles on this 5300kms run vehicle, namely the middle bench, the driver's seat belt fastener and something in the last row.
5. I was also able to find the BT microphone missing, some plastic grill kept in the driver's door pocket, and the gear lever was pretty badly chaffed.
6. The Storme is also a far better offroader than the XUV due to its suspension articulation, low range 4WD mechanicals and a torquier feeling motor.
7. The XUV has better driver ergonomics than the Storme while the Storme is significantly better in the middle bench, even for 3 people.
8. The Storme's steering is not as light as the XUV's and while that is not a bad thing, it might put off a few customers since it doesn't offer the car like feeling that the XUV does.
9. The Storme's AC blower has higher speeds and a better throw compared to the XUV's.
10. The Storme's gears felt tighter and surer to slot than the XUV in terms of throw, precision and feel.

So, to sum it up, will I buy the Storme or the XUV if I decide that the Pajero Sport and the Fortuner are too expensive and not worth the price?
It is a tough call.

While the Storme is far more comfortable, spacious and a capable off roader compared to the XUV, the XUV is fantastic mile muncher, with loads of features, including safety features like HHA, HDC, more airbags and some more.
While both the vehicles are at almost at par in terms of part and plastic quality, the XUV seems to be better put together. Which one will last longer is something which time can prove.

The warranty too, is pretty similar on both the cars, approximately 4 years or unlimited kms (TML offers it for 1,50,000kms which is a figure few will anyway achieve).

Confusion confusion...!!!!
Old 15th July 2013, 19:24   #302
BHPian

I haven't driven the Storme, but when I test drove the XUV, I didn't like it at all. I also didn't like the ride in the middle row when I had the SA drive because I wanted to see what it was like in the middle. The last row of course is a joke.

In terms of buying Tata, I believe at least the new MD realizes that they have to get their act together both in building vehicles and in providing after sales support and service. But it is like turning a massive cargo ship, and will take time.
Old 15th July 2013, 20:56   #303
BHPian

In my opinion, you should ditch the Fortuner and the XUV, and think seriously between the Pajero and the Storme.
Wait, I'm surprised at myself for saying this - how can a Storme compare to a Pajero? Only in terms of the modern equipment, I guess. In almost every other way I think the Pajero will suit your needs better. So the answer is simple - if you can find a good one and if the price seems alright, go get the Pajero.
My dad used a Pajero for almost a decade and he loved it to bits. It never gave out on us and we could trust it with our lives.
Old 16th July 2013, 08:19   #304
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I haven't driven the Storme, but when I test drove the XUV, I didn't like it at all.
Apart from the points I mentioned in my post, I too prefer the Storme to the XUV. It is only the high speed ability of the XUV that impressed me the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
In terms of buying Tata, I believe at least the new MD realizes that they have to get their act together both in building vehicles and in providing after sales support and service.
Completely agree with you on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
In my opinion, you should ditch the Fortuner and the XUV, and think seriously between the Pajero and the Storme.
In my opinion, the Pajero SFX is too slow on the highways and that coupled with its low fuel economy are the only two complaints I have against it. There are no Pajero Sports on sale in the pre owned car market today.
Quote:
Wait, I'm surprised at myself for saying this - how can a Storme compare to a Pajero? Only in terms of the modern equipment, I guess.
Well, there isnt much modern equipment on the Storme either, when compared to the SFX or the Sport.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:51   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
In my opinion, the Pajero SFX is too slow on the highways and that coupled with its low fuel economy are the only two complaints I have against it. There are no Pajero Sports on sale in the pre owned car market today.
Yes. True. I remember that about the Pajero. But it will easily do speeds like 100-120, which may be enough most of the time. If highway speeds are important to you then better not to consider the Pajero.

Quote:
Well, there isnt much modern equipment on the Storme either, when compared to the SFX or the Sport.
Then there's no great advantage of the Storme over the Pajero except that it will be a new car.
Old 16th July 2013, 12:14   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just back from an extended test drive of the Tata Safari Storme VX 4WD and here are my observations vis-a-vis the XUV.

So, to sum it up, will I buy the Storme or the XUV if I decide that the Pajero Sport and the Fortuner are too expensive and not worth the price?
It is a tough call.

The warranty too, is pretty similar on both the cars, approximately 4 years or unlimited kms (TML offers it for 1,50,000kms which is a figure few will anyway achieve).

Confusion confusion...!!!!
I know you wont like this though with your eyes closed you should take a good 2nd hand Toyota Fortuner.

I have seen Mannuj's toyota fortuner running costs duh even lower than safari for sure but havent seen any pajero sports running costs data to backup my suggestion of toyota fortuner.

Cheers...
Old 16th July 2013, 12:29   #307
BANNED

Quote:
If highway speeds are important to you then better not to consider the Pajero.
They are, which is why I liked the Sport a lot, but is it worth paying 29lac INR OTR Bangalore??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
I know you wont like this though with your eyes closed you should take a good 2nd hand Toyota Fortuner.
The Fortuner is too bumpy for me to like it. Period.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:59   #308
BHPian

Hi Devdath,

I have a 10 yr old Scorpio Chain Drive.
I saw your Scorpio at Rakesh moters a few months back.
I will also be looking to replace my good old Scorpio sometime soon so I will be following this thread with interest.
My plan is to wait for a couple of years and find a good Land Cruiser Prado for under 20 lacs. Have you thought of this option.
In 2011 I bought a Toyota Camry 2007 Automatic from an Expat for 11 lacs. At that time he also sold off his 50K done Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2007 for 18 lacs.
I didnt have that kind of money then.

Did I just add more to the confusion here

Styler
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:46   #309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
My plan is to wait for a couple of years and find a good Land Cruiser Prado for under 20 lacs. Have you thought of this option.
Styler, long time.
I am ok buying a Prado as long as it is the current version but I m not sure if I would want to go for the petrol version that is more common on our roads.

Also, I would prefer to avoid cars, even if they are Toyotas, which are more than 6 years old for various reasons.
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:52   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While the Storme is far more comfortable, spacious and a capable off roader compared to the XUV, the XUV is fantastic mile muncher, with loads of features, including safety features like HHA, HDC, more airbags and some more.
While both the vehicles are at almost at par in terms of part and plastic quality, the XUV seems to be better put together. Which one will last longer is something which time can prove
Hi Dev,

I guess you should go with XUV for all the safety gadgets and the driver satisfaction it provides you. Also on reliability, both would almost be on par and M&M ASC will take care of any niggles/issues than might crop up!

As shared with you earlier, I am on the same hunt as you are and have closed in on Fortuner for its reliability and long term value. I know I will be paying a premium for it. I have originally shortlisted XUV and it would have timed very well for its niggles/issues to be sorted out for my purchase date, however the information out there suggests otherwise.

I plan to go with TEIN suspension upgrade for the Fortuner which should take care of the in city ride quality.
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:53   #311
BHPian

Devdath the Prado which was sold for 18 lacs in 2011 was Dec 2007 Diesel. At that time it was a 3.5 yr old vehicle. Even now you could get a 3-4 yr old 65 lac worth Prado diesel for around 20 lacs.

Styler
Old 25th July 2013, 12:21   #312
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Dev,
I guess you should go with XUV for all the safety gadgets and the driver satisfaction it provides you. Also on reliability, both would almost be on par and M&M ASC will take care of any niggles/issues than might crop up!
My next vehicle will be a 4WD Surya and not an AWD and hence the XUV doesn't suit my requirements.
Quote:
I plan to go with TEIN suspension upgrade for the Fortuner which should take care of the in city ride quality.
Have you driven a Fortuner with TEIN yet?
I would request you drive one with TEIN extensively before signing the dotted line.
By the way, in case you end up satisfied, I will come down to Hyderabad and drive your vehicle before taking a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Devdath the Prado which was sold for 18 lacs in 2011 was Dec 2007 Diesel. At that time it was a 3.5 yr old vehicle. Even now you could get a 3-4 yr old 65 lac worth Prado diesel for around 20 lacs.
Styler
That is great news Styler. Can you please point me to any such leads that come your way? It would be very helpful.
Old 25th July 2013, 21:21   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My next vehicle will be a 4WD Surya and not an AWD and hence the XUV doesn't suit my requirements
Have you driven a Fortuner with TEIN yet?
I would request you drive one with TEIN extensively before signing the dotted line.
By the way, in case you end up satisfied, I will come down to Hyderabad and drive your vehicle before taking a decision
Hi Dev,

Got you on the 4WD requirements. In fact, my original thoughts(Jan-2012) were that I shall pick up a XUV and a Thar by end of 2013(upon my return from US of A). I was very eagerly following both the mules, but am disappointed with the lack of quality approach even after 2 years of the products(well almost!!).

As per the Toyota dealer friend in Hyderabad, apparently Red Rooster Performance of Bangalore has one Fortuner on Tein suspension set up(which as per my friend who drove that car, has huge difference in the pliant ride and comfort. My friend is equally an auto buff like us, if not more!) and you might want to check if that is still available for a test ride. Also, as per the various reviews on the net, TEIN upgrade on T-Fort in other countries is highly rated.

Once I plonk the monies and go for the car and the upgrade, we can plan a TBHP KA+AP meet midway on NH-7, which would be great fun.
Old 26th July 2013, 13:14   #314
BANNED

Quote:
In fact, my original thoughts(Jan-2012) were that I shall pick up a XUV and a Thar by end of 2013(upon my return from US of A). I was very eagerly following both the mules, but am disappointed with the lack of quality approach even after 2 years of the products(well almost!!).
I look at it this way Surya:
1. The XUV and the Thar today have no big faults except Thar's fit and finish issues (they remain) and XUV's electronic niggles, most of which have been sorted out.
2. If I had the intentions/could/was willing to buy two vehicles like you, I would have certainly bought an XUV/Storme and a Thar.
3. Even if I were to buy only an XUV (if it had a 4WD), with the money left over saved over not buying a 30 lac INR Fortuner or a Pajero Sport (10lac INR approximately), I could have done so many other things to cars and life in general. This is why I am gravitating towards the Storme vx 4WD.

Even in terms of specifications, apart from the engine displacement, the power and torque figures of the Storme and the Fortuner are not too far apart. 140 Vs 170 BHP (top speeds are almost identical and I am not a fan of racing around on public roads), 320 Vs 343 NM of Torque, and almost the same kerb weight.
To add to this, TML gives me a 4 year/1,50,000kms warranty and a 2 year/50,000kms AMC for 20,000.00 INR which includes consumables and labor.

A few squeaks here and there, well that is one compromise I understand that I need to make to be able to save INR 12 lac AND, more importantly get a far more comfortable cabin, ride, and cheaper spare parts too.

Quote:
As per the Toyota dealer friend in Hyderabad, apparently Red Rooster Performance of Bangalore has one Fortuner on Tein suspension set up(which as per my friend who drove that car, has huge difference in the pliant ride and comfort. My friend is equally an auto buff like us, if not more!) and you might want to check if that is still available for a test ride. Also, as per the various reviews on the net, TEIN upgrade on T-Fort in other countries is highly rated.
Can you please let me know the details of the contact person at RRP so that I can check the availability of the vehicle for a TD?

Quote:
Once I plonk the monies and go for the car and the upgrade, we can plan a TBHP KA+AP meet midway on NH-7, which would be great fun.
Anyday, I m game.
Old 7th August 2013, 13:35   #315
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
We are considering the Fortuner as our Innova replacement. I was just wondering if we could make the ride of the 4x4 more compliant? perhaps some sand bags in the trunk to increase the payload?
I have done quite some research on this topic and while the new Fortuner too continues to be reasonably bumpy, Red Rooster Performance tells me that changing its suspension to TEIN, which costs around 85k INR for the basic version with a 2 year warranty, significantly improves it.
Nandi Toyota apparently has a vehicle belonging to its director fitted with it and I have requested them to let me know if a TD of the same is possible.

By the way, have you driven the Pajero Sport? It is supremely comfortable.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks