Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 21:36   #406
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I believe that is enough.
The Storme also has better middle row seating, has not had any niggles so far which are serious and comes with a 100, 000km warranty.
I would strongly recommend you have a detailed discussion with 4x4 addict here before signing the dotted line. After all money is money.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:39   #407
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Buy a Scorpio only if comfort in middle row and ergenomics is not a priority for you.
As per recent developments, I am unsure. Mahindra hasn't reverted, yet.

If they get back, it will take at least 2 months for 'em to deliver. In this scenario, I either might go ahead and buy a normal 2WD, or, might buy nothing right now.

Would wait for a Jap. But, if a purchase is made, I will put it up on this thread
Old 16th December 2013, 21:56   #408
BANNED

Quote:
Would wait for a Jap. But, if a purchase is made, I will put it up on this thread
What budget are you looking at? I'm asking this since a lot of people swear by the Pajero SFXs and the existing owners seem to be reasonably happy with them too.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:19   #409
Team-BHP Support

There are no new SFX's available and even if one would be available, I wouldn't buy one despite being satisfied with it.

Reason, the fuel needle in the 92 liter tank shows half when I do a Purnia - Siliguri - Purnia run. The others would better it by at least ~4kmpl. A lot if you consider a 5,000 kms average monthly usage.

I will update, if I make a purchase decision.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 09:44   #410
BHPian

Quote:
There are no new SFX's available and even if one would be available, I wouldn't buy one despite being satisfied with it.
What we get in the used car market have mostly run 60-70K, one GLX run 129K which is priced at 8L + in Bangalore, ridiculous. The 2008-09 run in 70-80K range are priced about 10-12L, are these worth buying even for about 3 years of ownership? Lets say I get a SFX done about 60-70K 2008-09 for about 9L, is it worth?
Old 18th December 2013, 09:51   #411
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Lets say I get a SFX done about 60-70K 2008-09 for about 9L, is it worth?
Certainly yes. 60k is nothing for an SFX if the service history and the owner profile including the NCB is clean.

The only concern about buying an SFX above 10 lac is the cost of its spares, its fuel efficiency, average to low highway performance and the inability to chip it.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 13:28   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Reason, the fuel needle in the 92 liter tank shows half when I do a Purnia - Siliguri - Purnia run. The others would better it by at least ~4kmpl. A lot if you consider a 5,000 kms average monthly usage.

I will update, if I make a purchase decision.
Look at the pathetic conditions of the road as well in this area.

I went to Araria, Kishanganj Purnea in the same model Pajero itself which stays in Patna.

If you get a fuel consumption of 9 kmpl it is great. It does that except that with potholed roads what to expect.

Near Kishanganj on way to SIliguri you can actually know when you enter Islampur and West Bengal areas in your sleep, the road conditions and pothole bumps will change between Bihar and Bengal territories.

Further up from Silliguri to Darjling through Merek road the vehicle will constantly be in 2nd or 3rd gear at most, fuel consumption will obviously be higher.

It takes one hour of waiting to cross Mokama bridge, 20 KM from Begusarai on to Khagaria the road detoriates and is worse further ahead.
Jai Bihar!

But you are right.

This same vehicle which is a 1997 model Pajero

In the 3000 cc V6 200bhp petrol version the fuel consumption is 5 KM/l
in the 3500 cc V6 225 Max Power petrol version it is a poor 3.5 Kmpl and 1.5 litre of engine oil a week.
In the Indian 2800 Diesel 4 cyl. a 9 to 10 kmpl will be deemed fair.

In local Patna driving where 3rd gear is a rarity it is more like 3 to 4 kmpl

Last edited by desertfox : 18th December 2013 at 13:30.
Old 18th December 2013, 20:27   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
In the Indian 2800 Diesel 4 cyl. a 9 to 10 kmpl will be deemed fair.
Indian Pajero gives between 7 to 9 kmpl.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 23:00   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Indian Pajero gives between 7 to 9 kmpl.
What will be the FE of T Fort 4X4, present model.
Old 19th December 2013, 07:07   #415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lets say I get a SFX done about 60-70K 2008-09 for about 9L, is it worth?
First thing first, I checked prices of a SFX in that condition and I don't think you will get one at anything less than 12. That is the lowest you can come across.

Secondly, the SFX which my friend let go, had ~68 on clock in 18 months of ownership. And believe me, save for consumables & a brake pad change, just nothing went wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Certainly yes. 60k is nothing for an SFX if the service history and the owner profile including the NCB is clean.

The only concern about buying an SFX above 10 lac is the cost of its spares, its fuel efficiency, average to low highway performance and the inability to chip it.
I found few prices to be on par and few to be prohibitive. The 2800cc sticker on the rear fender is a pricey replacement.

The engine is strained, but it never feels hyper at 140, the way in which a Scorpio/Safari does.

Though, as said earlier, the drivability is amazing, but engine isn't happy doing good speeds.

80kmph @ 2,000

100kmph @ 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

If you get a fuel consumption of 9 kmpl it is great. It does that except that with potholed roads what to expect.
You won't get over 8 kmpl. Unless you decide to cruise at 80kmph without A/C

Quote:
Near Kishanganj on way to SIliguri you can actually know when you enter Islampur and West Bengal areas in your sleep, the road conditions and pothole bumps will change between Bihar and Bengal territories.

Further up from Silliguri to Darjling through Merek road the vehicle will constantly be in 2nd or 3rd gear at most, fuel consumption will obviously be higher.

It takes one hour of waiting to cross Mokama bridge, 20 KM from Begusarai on to Khagaria the road detoriates and is worse further ahead.
Jai Bihar!
The Barauni/Begusarai to Purnia stretch has been repaired now.

The peeled off section which is at Dalkola should be resurfaced shortly. [As is the norm to carry repairs & relaying of roads in winters]

Quote:
I think it is safe to expect 9. Though my one friend manages 13 (its a 4X2). Dunno how.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 11:19   #416
BANNED

Quote:
The engine is strained, but it never feels hyper at 140, the way in which a Scorpio/Safari does.

Though, as said earlier, the drivability is amazing, but engine isn't happy doing good speeds.

80kmph @ 2,000

100kmph @ 2,500

You won't get over 8 kmpl. Unless you decide to cruise at 80kmph without A/C
Even Hariya is at 2000rpm at 80kmph and at 2500 at 100kmph. I usually maintain 120 on the highways where he is at 3000rpm. Does he feel strained?
No, possibly because of the bigger CRDe heart or because I have gotten used to it or because I use Sys-D every alternate tank.
But yes, the newer 2.2s that I've driven feel very peppy till 120kmph and then they begin to feel strained.

There are few posts by Storme owners saying the Storme is comfortable doing 130-140kmph. I do not know. Have you tried such speeds?

8kmpl is the standard FE for the SFX under most conditions but I too know someone who manages 9 in Blore's maddening traffic and 10.5 on the highways at speeds of around 100 with the AC.
Old 19th December 2013, 11:52   #417
BHPian

OT but would love to own this one

Old 19th December 2013, 20:13   #418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
No, possibly because of the bigger CRDe heart or because I have gotten used to it or because I use Sys-D every alternate tank.
I believe it is because you have got used to it

System D would clean fuel line and I think that is it.

Quote:
But yes, the newer 2.2s that I've driven feel very peppy till 120kmph and then they begin to feel strained.
Infact, speeds over 110+ are best attempted when road is known and traffic is thin & doesn't have the habit of surprising you.

The Storme feels more planted & reassuring. The goal posts have been kicked further by Storme. Hope W105 matches it.

Quote:
There are few posts by Storme owners saying the Storme is comfortable doing 130-140kmph. I do not know. Have you tried such speeds?
120+ on both don't feel very comfortable.

As far as I have observed, a diesel cruising at revs around 2,000 to 2,200 feels relaxed. Over it, it feels hyper (not strained) but you can feel the engine spinning.

On that front, Yeti is comfiest. 2,000 revs at 120kmph.

Quote:
8kmpl is the standard FE for the SFX under most conditions but I too know someone who manages 9 in Blore's maddening traffic and 10.5 on the highways at speeds of around 100 with the AC.
How?

Last edited by Sheel : 19th December 2013 at 20:14.
Old 19th December 2013, 20:27   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
T-Fort Averages between 8 to 13.5 depending on driving conditions. The main reason is that the T-Fort has a much more powerful engine so the gearing is tall and at 120 rpm is much less than that of the Pajero Sport. Also CRD Direct Injection engines are much much more fuel efficient than Non CRD Indirect Injection Engines
Old 19th December 2013, 21:07   #420
BHPian

Greetings
Well I was in a fix too the main reason being I picked up a Fortuner 4X4 one of the first facelifted vehicle. I own an Innova and am satisfied with the vehicle that's why it's a 2005 model done 1.4 Lakh km and I still have it.
When I bought the Innova I thought the Innova was better than the Qualis when it was for the Fortuner I made the same conclusion that it will be better but I wasn't very satisfied at all with the vehicle.
The brakes Wernt confidence inspiring, the leather on the seats cracked before a year, the service I had a bad bad time, the back seat was uncomfortable, I was never a fan of the music system, the ride felt bouncy, it wasn't a vehicle id take offroad, it resembled the Innova too much for double the cost then so I did away with it. Now since we've been Mitsubishi people and we are extremely satisfied with the Montero, Pajero and the lancer we picked up a Pajero Sport.
I've had it for nearly 4 months and wow has it been an experience. The quality of materials to the offroad ability, the pick up.
Everyone feels a 3 litre engine is better than a 2.5 litre. Well compare the Bhp of the vehicles and compare both the vehicles at 100. The Fortuner is very noisy.
I know fuel efficiency isn't much of a concern but mines returning a minimum of 11 and a max of 12.2
I feel don't buy a Fortuner because everyone is buying one rather pick up a car that you like and if it's not an common car you ll have heads turning too .
With all respect to Fortuner owners ( I've had one myself) I feel buy a car when you're a 100% convinced . How many 1990s toyotas do you see still for sale ? How many times has toyota win the Dakar . Yes you aren't buying a Dakar Pajero but the lineage matters when you get a super select gearbox which is far superior to the full time 4X4 that you can't even move into 4X2 when you want. Compare the seats, the feel of the steering everything.
Regards
Imran
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks