Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 16:00   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I certainly will, once it is decided to look for one. At the moment the cost of spares and their availability is the point of my research.

Since you have owned 2 Pajeros in the past and sold both of them, can you tell me the reason most people sell the Pajero please? For example, it is difficult to find a 2010 Fortuner in the market while there are 2010 Pajeros available.

@ Devdath..I have owned 2 Pajeros & I have sold ONE. The second one I do wish to sell but certainly NOT to a bargain hunter. The Pajero is a cult machine, you either love or you do not.

As for your information of it being "difficult" to find a 2010 Fortuner - I can tell you it is totally misplaced. 2010 Fortuners are available & easily at that. Around 18-19L. It may be harder to find a Pajero 2010, as most owners keep them for longish period of time, as we all know it is bullet proof in most every aspect. It is NOT expensive to maintain, my last service about 2 weeks back cost 4200/- !! Now what more can one want ? I do not know who has been telling you that parts is a problem. You can get pretty much any & everything in Khan Market, Palika Bhawan or at the HM dealer. You can buy Jap, taiwanese or Chinese, it is your call.

There is no denying that the Fortuner is a newer engine - that is about it.

Which is the exact reason I m still researching on its parts prices and upkeep. You see, in the same thread, Ashish, whose uncle is a mine owner and owns a Pajero, has quoted the following repair costs.

You answer your own question. Someone who has to drive a vehicle in mines, which as we all know is inhospitable terrain, which vehicle would you choose ?? Obviously the MOST RELIABLE one & that which will not break into a sweat in that kind of punishing schedule. Vehicles that are running there are doing so for a reason, right ? As for repairs of "those Pajeros" - I am sure they would need more maintainance. I do not see why you are unable t

o deciede for the past few years ??

Vaary Confused at the moment I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hey Ricky_63, would you mind sharing the service costs of the Pajeros that you owned till date? It might be helpful for n.devdath to decide.

@Ashis89, I just did reply to all this above, hope that helps.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 16:32   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which is the exact reason I m still researching on its parts prices and upkeep. You see, in the same thread, Ashish, whose uncle is a mine owner and owns a Pajero, has quoted the following repair costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
"It is NOT expensive to maintain, my last service about 2 weeks back cost 4200/-"

Cheers
Also I must say that people often sell their Pajeros not because of high-costs or unreliability but rather because they get bored with a vehicle/vehicle gets common in market. Its a known fact that Pajero lacks modern interiors and one may get bored quickly. Its just my thought though.

Also I can cite another example. My father's friend,who again is a mine owner, has owned a Pajero for the last 12 years and he is still happy with it. Earlier he had a Tata Sumo which he sold off quickly before moving on to the Pajero. He is an avid photographer and travels to the N-E states from Orissa in his Pajero for photography.

Also our local Mitsubishi dealer told my uncle when he went to buy his Pajero that of the 250 odd Pajeros that he has sold over the last 5-6 years only 20 odd have changed hands. Can't verify his claims though.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 18:20   #108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Also I must say that people often sell their Pajeros not because of high-costs or unreliability but rather because they get bored with a vehicle/vehicle gets common in market. Its a known fact that Pajero lacks modern interiors and one may get bored quickly. Its just my thought though.
This is one interesting input Ashish. Thank you.

I contacted the person from the Blore Mitsubishi dealership who deals in pre-owned Pajeros and he told me that it is possible to get a SFX run around 80k kms made in 2008 for around 12-14 lac INR, however I ve told him to shortlist an example which is less than 2years old and has clocked less than 40k kms.

In the meantime, pre-owned Fortuners continue to be elusive as ever, at least in Bangalore.
Old 5th April 2012, 11:09   #109
BHPian

Quote:
In the meantime, pre-owned Fortuners continue to be elusive as ever, at least in Bangalore.
Hay, there are 2 Fortuners that I see every day.
1. At the used car dealer on Inner ring road, near Dell. Its before Mother Earth store if you are traveling from Koramangala to Domlur. Color - White

2. At the used car dealer in Koramangala, Past Sony world signal. This is diagonally opposite Maharaja hotel, on the right side, if you are traveling from Sony world towards Wipro park. Color - Silver.

Good luck!
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 20:42   #110
BANNED

2-3 yr old 40kms Pajero or a Brand New Scorpio VLX 4WD?***

Call this a dilemma, a paradigm shift if you will, but it is what it is.

It actually happened this way.

I had, long ago, TDed the Skoda Superb DSG in Noida and was floored by it, completely. When I told my then girlfriend, now wife about the experience, all I got was a "Hmmm...., good... I see."
You see, Priti was never a fan of sedans. She liked either hatches or SUVs. However, I wanted her to experience the DSG mated to a Skoda 2.0 engine once and feel the stuff their sedans are made of.
By and by we got married, came back to Bangalore and settled down but my desire to make her experience driving a Skoda sedan was unfulfilled. Since she liked only SUVs,we had called the Yeti home for a TD but she did'nt enjoy driving it due to its manual gearing and I didn't like it due to its small dimensions.
Then, just for fun,I called a Laura DSG Ambiente for a TD. She was not very enthusiastic about it but I ve always been a huge fan of the Laura in its DSG avatar.
The car came home one afternoon and we headed out on the ring road. About 15 kms down the road, I told her to take the wheel and,things were never the same again.

Not only did Priti fall in love with it but also recommended me to take a serious look at it as our next automobile to share the stable with Hariya.

She had a few points which I feel were valid.

1. We are never 5 people on very long distance (read in excess of 500kms one way) runs and hence the 4 seats that the Laura has should suffice.

2. Our time on the road is increasing by the day and a fuel efficient car will only make it all the more pleasurable. We are off on another 3600km trip to Singrauli this month end and 2 trips, one to the NE and another one to Himachal are in the pipeline this year, and I m the sole earning member of the family till date and I m just a service class employee. In fact, we are yet to build/buy our own roof.

3. The convenience of the DSG, the ride quality in the city, the FE and the build quality of the Laura has her floored.

4. If I get an MLD for Hariya, it will increase his offroadability decent enough to tackle 95% of our situations. Anyway, Laura being the car that it is, can go to 90% of the places that we intend to, and a bit more in the right hands.

5. Both of us hold Hariya very dear and we can keep him as long as he stays alive. In fact, I offered to buy the Laura by disposing Hariya and the answer was a very very vehement "NO".

6. The flexible boot of the Laura can serve as a bed to her, a role currently played by Hariya's middle seat when we sleep on the highways.

So, all in all, the dilemma continues but with a new option added.
"Keep Hariya, add an MLD, and buy a new Laura DSG for build quality, long distance runs affordably and superb build quality".

Maybe this is just me talking to myself, but this is where things are, at the moment.

Last edited by n.devdath : 5th April 2012 at 20:47.
Old 5th April 2012, 21:10   #111
Senior - BHPian

Dev,

Not trying to confuse you, but do go through these threads before you take a final call.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...m-wrongly.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...orts-tbhp.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...se-closed.html

There are many other threads on Skoda as well, please research further if required.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 21:58   #112
Team-BHP Support

Devdath

I can share few things based on my past experience with some of cars you plan to buy

Pajero SFX - stay away - New or Used - unless your company is going to foot the maintenance / fuel bills . Too expensive service + regular parts , I bought a new one & sold in less than 2 Years after driving about 40,000 Km , must have spend close to 60-70 K on regular maint. With new Sports coming - SFX is going to get more expensive to maintain .

Skoda - I have never bought this brand , was very close to buying first Octavia in 2003 & than Laura in 2006 both times went to other manufacturers due to arrogant attitude of Skoda Dealers . You will find enough first hand horror stories in this forum .

Fortuner - I bought Fortuner in 2010 which I sold in Jan and can easily recommend you , very low maintenance costs , high resale ( I Got about Rs 19 Lac ) It will be most peaceful for you and very easy to trade-off at any time . You may opt for Auto Fortuner of your drive is primarily in city .

If you are short of money for Fortuner , why don't you stick with Innova - Top Model ? unless you have some image issues with car . I was so pissed with rear seat of my 530D ( new 7 still few months away ) I picked an Innova last month .

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th April 2012 at 22:03.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 11:21   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dev,

Not trying to confuse you, but do go through these threads before you take a final call.
There are many other threads on Skoda as well, please research further if required.

Spike
Thanks Spikey for that informative update. I know that Skodas have been, especially in the past, notoriously famous for their horror stories but as you can see, their incidence and probability has decreased to a significant extent now. In fact, TBHP mods too have bought Lauras and Superbs. Skoda reliability certainly seems to be on the higher side these days. Moreover, we will not part ways with Hariya, and hence if I go for it with a 4 year warranty, I will not be stuck without my means to travel even if it goes to the ASC for some replacement God forbid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Devdath

I can share few things based on my past experience with some of cars you plan to buy
Skoda - I have never bought this brand , was very close to buying first Octavia in 2003 & than Laura in 2006 both times went to other manufacturers due to arrogant attitude of Skoda Dealers . You will find enough first hand horror stories in this forum .

Fortuner - I bought Fortuner in 2010 which I sold in Jan and can easily recommend you , very low maintenance costs , high resale ( I Got about Rs 19 Lac ) It will be most peaceful for you and very easy to trade-off at any time . You may opt for Auto Fortuner of your drive is primarily in city .

If you are short of money for Fortuner , why don't you stick with Innova - Top Model ? unless you have some image issues with car . I was so pissed with rear seat of my 530D ( new 7 still few months away ) I picked an Innova last month .
Thank you Turbonator for your inputs. Yes, I remember seeing your 5 Series when we met at Delhi last year. I didn't know that its back seat was that uncomfortable.

The Skoda dealers that I know in Bangalore are a good lot and of course my personal contacts with them makes it easier for me. Coming to the reliability aspect, I m still researching and observing the DSGs on the forum, especially Anshuman's car since it is pretty much the same model that I intend to buy if finalised to see how it performs over the next 6 months.

The Fortuner does appeal to me in its automatic avatar but then there is no 4WD offered with it and I feel that an SUV without 4WD is of no use, to me.

Hariya and Innova are pretty much in the same segment and hence the Innova doesn't appeal to me, at this point.
Old 6th April 2012, 11:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Devdath

Pajero SFX - stay away - New or Used - unless your company is going to foot the maintenance / fuel bills . Too expensive service + regular parts , I bought a new one & sold in less than 2 Years after driving about 40,000 Km , must have spend close to 60-70 K on regular maint. With new Sports coming - SFX is going to get more expensive to maintain .

I am surprised at your experience with the Pajero. My experience has been very very good.

Though I agree the service bill on the Fortuner would be very low..

Cheers
Old 11th April 2012, 13:59   #115
BHPian

Dev,

If you are not affixated on a 4x4 vehicle do check out the new facelifted Innova. They now have the GX variant which has ABS and driver side Air Bag at approx 11.5 Lakhs ex-showroom.

I test drove it 2 weeks back and was completely blown away by the quality and comfort of the vehicle.

There is no better in resale value either.

Cheers
Ankit
GoSlow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 20:29   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
If you are not affixated on a 4x4 vehicle do check out the new facelifted Innova. They now have the GX variant which has ABS and driver side Air Bag at approx 11.5 Lakhs ex-showroom.
I second Ankits suggestion. Anyone who needs a poeple carrier without 4x4 should seriously test drive the Innova. Nothing beats it in space and comfort in the price range. Consider the low cost of ownership, reliability and excellent resale value an added bonus.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:07   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I second Ankits suggestion. Anyone who needs a poeple carrier without 4x4 should seriously test drive the Innova. Nothing beats it in space and comfort in the price range. Consider the low cost of ownership, reliability and excellent resale value an added bonus.
Thanks Guys, but the GC of the Innova is too low for my requirements and driver involvement of the Scorpio is better. Innova, to me, is like the reliable mixie/washing machine that we have at home. Perfectly reliable, easy to use but no character of its own.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:07   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

You don't need another Scorpio, Dev, nor do you need a Pajero. You need to save up and buy this. Nothing else comes close!
Old 13th April 2012, 18:52   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You don't need another Scorpio, Dev, nor do you need a Pajero. You need to save up and buy this. Nothing else comes close!
You wont believe it but do you know what prompted me to consider a Laura DSG?

Last week, a friend of mine had come from Pune with his wife to spend the weekend with us and I had gone to the Majestic Bus Stand at Blore to drop them to the KSTRC Airavat Multi Axle Volvo and I was floored by the legroom, the recline and of course the overall fit and finish of the B9R.
I casually asked the driver about the FE that the B9R gives them and he told me that it is possible to extract around 3.2kmpl if the vehicle is well maintained at speeds of around 110kmph.

That is when it struck me. Nothing beats a comfortable, fast and fuel efficient highway car on the highways, so you actually hit the nail on the head, pretty much.
Old 15th April 2012, 11:35   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I recently drove a Pajero 2.8 for a 600 km round trip on a 2011 Pajero with about 15K kilometers on it. The drive included some highway stretches, some winding hill sections, and some rural roads.

This is my view on the Pajero after a 600 km drive in comparison to my chipped Scorpio with 140 bhp/36kgm mhawk.

Engine: The pajero 2.8 doesn't hold a candle to the 2.2 mhawk with tuning chip. mhawk is the engine you want if you want to put pedal to metal. Overtaking is a breeze with the mhawk. The pajero 2.8 in BSIV guise makes 108 bhp/28 kgm Torque. It is barely enough to keep the vehicle going and you need to be above 2000 rpm to feel the power. The overall short gearing compensates to some extend but this results in engine rpm getting uncomfortably high as you cross three digit speeds resulting in single digit fuel efficiency figures. Overtaking also requires lot of planning as you need a good amount of time to over take a fast moving bus or lorry in a narrow stretch of road.

Gearbox: Pajero wins as the gear box is butter smooth compared to Scorpio. The throw is long but so is the Scorpios, but the lever is very soft and engages perfectly in the Pajero.
'
Ride: Pajero wins hands down and Scorpio gets nowhere close to it. This is the same stretch of road that I have done regularly in my Scorpio, so I know the difference between the ride of both.

Overall interior ergonomics. Pajero despite being a dated platform wins hands down except for the glaring omission of cup/bottle holders anywhere in the car.

Overall, if I were to cut a check again, I would pick a good used Pajero 2.8 any day over the Scorpio. Anyone who thinks Scorpio 4WD will be cheaper to maintain is fooling themselves. I am pushing 60K on my Scorpio 4WD and maintencance cost are slowing rising as the miles increases.

Pajero 2.8 has no fiddly electronics, spares are available easily and it is better to take it to a good independent mechanic who has imported car experience than with the dealer.

It is a shame what HM/Mitsu is doing to this great product. They could have just sourced a good 2.5 DI plant from somewhere priced this vehicle about 15 to 16 lakh ex showroom and sales would have soared.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed