Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 20:37   #181
BANNED

re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Saar,
what is the latest update ?
Keep us posted.
This is the latest update:

My upgrade has been decided and it is going to be the
"Toyota Fortuner manual 4WD."

However, I have two options at the moment and am stuck between them.

1. Purchase a single owner 17k km run April 2011 black Fortuner for INR 20lac by paying an EMI of INR 2250/lac for 5 yrs @ 12.5% through HDFC bank
OR
2. Wait for 4-5 more months and purchase a brand new Fortuner @ INR 24.25 lac OTR Gurgaon since my wife has an address proof there.

I need urgent advice here since the pre-owned deal will not wait for more than 2 days at most from today.

Calling out to the Gurus...
Old 14th August 2012, 23:11   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
1. Purchase a single owner 17k km run April 2011 black Fortuner for INR 20lac by paying an EMI of INR 2250/lac for 5 yrs @ 12.5% through HDFC bank
I would go with the used option. Because as such Toyota is very reliable and 17k is almost nothing. Secondly and more importantly I think the original look of the Fortuner was much more suited to its genre than the new avatar.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 12:01   #183
Senior - BHPian

I would any day go for a new vehicle, especially if you want to keep it long.

With a pre owned vehicle you never know how it has been used, hence how it will age with you.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 12:15   #184
Senior - BHPian

Go for a new one if you can help it Dev. The peace of mind and the pride of ownership of a new vehicle is worth the wait.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 12:15   #185
BHPian

Quote:
This is the latest update:

My upgrade has been decided and it is going to be the
"Toyota Fortuner manual 4WD."

However, I have two options at the moment and am stuck between them.

OR
2. Wait for 4-5 more months and purchase a brand new Fortuner @ INR 24.25 lac OTR Gurgaon since my wife has an address proof there.

I need urgent advice here since the pre-owned deal will not wait for more than 2 days at most from today.

Calling out to the Gurus...
My advice is to go with the second option and buy a brand new vehicle, from my personal experience of having bought and used one second hand vehicle, basically even if the vehicle is in good condition it starts ageing faster and the parts will ask for replacement which would eventually cost you more within a few 10k kms.
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 12:16   #186
BHPian

I would also advise the NEW car option as long as you are comfortable with the finance aspect. Especially since you want the car to be your primary steed, with so much amount of running.
A used car can be a gem if lady luck suits you, but can be crap as well. Even after inspecting the car inside an out, it can turn out to be a money pit. I am speaking from personal experience, but there are many out there who are happy with their used cars. So it is your call basically.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 12:26   #187
BHPian

A new car is any day a better option, but even from the finance point of view, since you would opt for a loan on the pre-owned car as well, I believe that interest rates are higher than those for a new car.
dr_anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 17:25   #188
BHPian

Quote:

OR
Dev,

if you go by 2nd option, i think you'd pay the road tax in bangalore if caught by cops. i do not know for what periods. they exempt 1 month and post that RTO has options for 3m, 6m and so on...

well... am assuming you are still in bangalore. If you have relocated to NCR ( assuming again and rules are relaxed) then New car anyday. You will save on the interest and the difference will be neglible. Feeling of brand new car is totally different plus you can have tyres of your choice and etc...

As a thumb rule which i'm sure you know, cars with waiting periods are not worth buying used as they do not come at bargain. If you were to pick Endy, than you'd buy used at about 16 to 17 L , don't you think?
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 02:17   #189
BHPian

Dev, If you have decided to go for the Fortuner, go for the brand new one, since you are going to use it for a decade. a decade is a long time buddy.. its a big part of your life! why not spend a bit more when you can afford and enjoy your ride. ofcourse a second hand car is worth if you are getting a great deal and gonna use it for a few years only. but for a decade of use I would definitely suggest you a new car. about the face lifted looks, just visit a showroom and see it in person and trust me your opinion will change. it looks better and more elegant after the facelift. and in my opinion its the best SUV in the 20-30 lac segment. I saw one recently when went for a TD of the innova. the Blue one with skirtings looked awesome and really premium.

XUV is also a great car. brilliant engine, balanced ride and handling. spacious 1st and 2nd row. and the niggles are also almost taken care of. i recently booked one and was surprised with the improvements in Gear box, which now by the way is smooth shifting and pure bliss. clutch is also not too heavy now. its probably the best SUV below 20 lacs at present.

if you want a 4WD car only, then have a look at the Tata Aria too. I recently test drove one and came out impressed. the ride is even better than XUV. its a bit large but relatively easy to drive even in the city. fit and finish are also not bad. take a look if you can.

nothing to confuse you as such but these 2 are really good options and also way cheaper and VFM.

but if you can go for a brand new Fortuner then just go for it. you simply cannot go wrong with it.

Goodluck!

Last edited by magikrider : 16th August 2012 at 02:19.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 11:36   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would any day go for a new vehicle, especially if you want to keep it long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Go for a new one if you can help it Dev. The peace of mind and the pride of ownership of a new vehicle is worth the wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
My advice is to go with the second option and buy a brand new vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
I would also advise the NEW car option as long as you are comfortable with the finance aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
A new car is any day a better option
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Dev,

if you go by 2nd option, i think you'd pay the road tax in bangalore if caught by cops. i do not know for what periods. Feeling of brand new car is totally different plus you can have tyres of your choice and etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Dev, If you have decided to go for the Fortuner, go for the brand new one, since you are going to use it for a decade. a decade is a long time buddy.. its a big part of your life! why not spend a bit more when you can afford and enjoy your ride.
Thank you everyone for your inputs.

So, the verdict is unanimous, a new vehicle, and I will abide by it.

It will be a new Fortuner, for now, which means that my wait has slightly increased in order to collect more Vit-M but that is ok. I will let the pre owned piece pass.

Also, if something interesting comes up while I m pooling my funds, I will keep an eye on it as well.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:35   #191
Senior - BHPian

Dev you made a good decision, anyday a new vehicle makes sense esp the price difference is of 4lacs between the ol and new.

I must say you are a guy with truck loads of patience and you know how not to be impulsive at all, keep it going

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your inputs.

So, the verdict is unanimous, a new vehicle, and I will abide by it.

It will be a new Fortuner, for now, which means that my wait has slightly increased in order to collect more Vit-M but that is ok. I will let the pre owned piece pass.

Also, if something interesting comes up while I m pooling my funds, I will keep an eye on it as well.
Old 16th August 2012, 17:04   #192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Dev you made a good decision, anyday a new vehicle makes sense esp the price difference is of 4lacs between the ol and new.

I must say you are a guy with truck loads of patience and you know how not to be impulsive at all, keep it going
Thanks Lohith.
You see, a decade ago, I was jobless and penniless, and now I m thinking of buying a 2 million INR vehicle. Life has taught me patience.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 22:40   #193
BHPian

Quote:
I m thinking of buying a 2 million INR vehicle.
Awesome. But somehow i wont buy if you tell me that you will keep this vehicle for a decade which is exactly what you said in the opening post when you bought a scorpio.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:11   #194
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Awesome. But somehow i wont buy if you tell me that you will keep this vehicle for a decade which is exactly what you said in the opening post when you bought a scorpio.
When Hariya came into my life, M&M was different. Scorpios were their premium offering, their first SUV which was a success and they went all out to ensure customer satisfaction. This also meant that the quality of the spares, especially rubber and plastic, was upto the mark and usual services were limited to the routine oil and filter changes with a few bolts being tightened here and there.

However, off late, things have changed, drastically. Rubber parts have deteriorated, basic parts like clutches, suspension parts, trim parts and even things like ORVMs are often not in stock.

Mahindra service costs have increased manifold making Toyota and even Ford service costs.

The new vehicle quality too has taken a hit in the recent years (though that does not apply to Hariya) taking customer confidence down a few notches.

So all in all, the only reason a Toyota Fortuner or to some, extent even a Ford Endeavor appeal to me is their build quality and robustness. For the rest, Hariya is still my trusted comrade.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 11:39   #195
BHPian

The Pajero SFX is officially discontinued since the past 3 weeks. Moving forward Mitsubishi will sell just the Sport which will be assembled in India. Bookings for the CKD versionn are now open.
Dealers will try to sell pending stock of SFXs or their test / R&D vehicles, which would make a good buy at a decent price.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed