Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 16:59   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I actually took a couple of test drives of the XUV before buying my Storme, and it frankly didn't connect to the heart as much as the Storme did. I agree that the XUV is a wonderful piece of engineering from Mahindra, and I probably would have gone for the W6 but I was not too happy with the constricted rear-view and the brakes make you wonder, if they really are all discs. That said, the XUV is definitely something that'll appeal more to the modern buyer (if you know what I mean), but for me it was the Storme all the way, call me old fashioned or maybe I am really getting old .
Hi!

Let me tell you that you are not alone with your this POV/observation. Of the Cars I drove in recent times, Storme has managed to connect.

Have driven Storme on more than 3 occasions in recent times along with its competition (products from other manufacturers priced on par with Storme) but none shone like the Storme. One Car which pulls your heart strings. Very close to the SFX.

My next purchase will be a SUV and I see very few reasons, why I should not end up buying the Storme. (If I can afford the Pajero Sports, well, then its different)
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 18:22   #347
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
(If I can afford the Pajero Sports, well, then its different)
Even if you can afford the Pajero Sport, the Storme still makes a very compelling case for itself, IMO due to its significantly better middle row, higher seating position and its very, very drivable nature in the city.
Old 18th October 2013, 18:32   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Even if you can afford the Pajero Sport, the Storme still makes a very compelling case for itself, IMO due to its significantly better middle row, higher seating position and its very, very drivable nature in the city.
I haven't taken the Pajero Sports off the road, but on-road, the Pajero Sports ticks more boxes.

The seating position is same, there is a football field inside the Pajero Sports & it has more space than the SFX. And it is drivable as well.

I would say, save for niggles & TML issues, it would make for a better case than the Fortuner (at least for me, so please no counter questions )

At the price, Storme is a very nice 4X4 SUV to buy/own/drive around.
Old 18th October 2013, 18:39   #349
BANNED

Quote:
I haven't taken the Pajero Sports off the road
I have, and it is simply marvellous.
Quote:
The seating position is same, there is a football field inside the Pajero Sports & it has more space than the SFX. And it is drivable as well.
More space than the SFX, Y-E-S, but I prefer the Storme's middle row to the Pajero Sport.

Quote:
I would say, save for niggles & TML issues, it would make for a better case than the Fortuner (at least for me, so please no counter questions )
Done.

Quote:
At the price, Storme is a very nice 4X4 SUV to buy/own/drive around.
Yeabsolutely...!!!
Old 18th October 2013, 21:02   #350
Senior - BHPian

Dev,

What did you finally decide ?

Has the decision been made ? We are on the 24th page.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 10:11   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Dev actually got me seriously thinking about the Storme 4WD as well. It does have flaws, but the 10 lakhs difference over the Pajero Sport is not easy to overlook.

Still not decided but I will definitely evaluate the Storme and then decide. I only wish the Strome had front facing third row for kids as I can't keep them sitting sideways for long, and also reclinable middle row which I have got used to now.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 10:40   #352
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Has the decision been made ?
Shortlisting has been done.
Tata Safari Storme Vx 4WD, Toyota Fortuner manual 4WD, Pajero Sport.

The Fortuner was out of this list but my experience with Nandi Toyota yesterday brought it back. My grouse with it is its bumpy ride, inability to seat three in the middle row and below average brakes.

My grouse with the Pajero Sport is its inability to seat three people in the middle row and its smaller engine compared to the Fortuner which results in a slight turbo lag and the lack of outright low end torque.

My grouse with the Storme is its smaller engine and consequently lesser outright low end torque and the fact that it continues to have a couple of squeaks and rattles here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I only wish the Strome had front facing third row for kids as I can't keep them sitting sideways for long, and also reclinable middle row which I have got used to now.
Front facing seats in the last row can be added to the Storme after they have been fabricated. Pavan has done this exercise and has done it pretty well.

Non reclining middle row, yes, this can be an issue if you are used to it, but since the middle seat is supremely comfortable, I guess it can be overlooked. Take a test drive and check it out.

Last edited by n.devdath : 19th October 2013 at 10:43.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 11:58   #353
Team-BHP Support

Are you looking for used examples of the Fortuner/Pajero Sport?
Old 19th October 2013, 12:10   #354
BANNED

Quote:
Are you looking for used examples of the Fortuner/Pajero Sport?
Yes, I find their brand new versions very expensive.
Old 19th October 2013, 12:18   #355
Senior - BHPian

Re: An interesting experience with Nandi Toyota today.

Quote:

At the service reception, there was a lady behind a small table and a computer who attended to me promptly and asked me the purpose of my visit. When I told her that I was planning to buy this vehicle pre owned and hence would like to get it inspected, she said I had to book an appointment since they were full.
Although it was a nice read, but this portion above, is the fly in the ointment. There are similar stories elsewhere (other workshops) as well. Its Ironic that these front desk people (mostly ladies) are actually employed to enhance the workshop visit experience, but in reality, what happens is quite the opposite, its always someone on the floor who manages to impress.

Same experience, be it Ford, Toyota, M&M or Honda here.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 12:19   #356
Team-BHP Support

Well, Good luck then.

I would rather pay for a new one in case of a Fortuner. The prices quoted (all around India) are prohibitive for a used Car. Would be much better to add 3-4 lakhs to the existing kitty & get a new one.

Ford is rumored to be coming with a new Endevour, don't think it will be priced much lower than the competition.
Old 19th October 2013, 12:24   #357
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Its Ironic that these front desk people (mostly ladies) are actually employed to enhance the workshop visit experience, but in reality, what happens is quite the opposite, its always someone on the floor who manages to impress.
Completely agree with you.

Quote:
I would rather pay for a new one in case of a Fortuner. The prices quoted (all around India) are prohibitive for a used Car. Would be much better to add 3-4 lakhs to the existing kitty & get a new one.
Do you think the new Fortuner and/or the Pajero Sport are worth the INR 30.00 lac price tag?

Quote:
Ford is rumored to be coming with a new Endeavor, don't think it will be priced much lower than the competition.
The reason I m slightly particular about a Japanese/Indian brand is simply because while an Indian brand is affordable, the world over, people buy a Japanese 4WD SUV as their daily workhorse and keep it for life.

What do you think?
Old 19th October 2013, 12:30   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Do you think the new Fortuner and/or the Pajero Sport are worth the INR 30.00 lac price tag?

Quote:
The reason I m slightly particular about a Japanese/Indian brand is simply because while an Indian brand is affordable, the world over, people buy a Japanese 4WD SUV as their daily workhorse and keep it for life.

What do you think?
Well, you have answered my question already (re-read your reply again) :-)

It is not 30L, but somewhere around 27 & around 9 more than a 4X4 Storme.

I earlier said, if I had $$$ I wouldn't even look at Tata/Mahindra way, yet.
Old 19th October 2013, 13:20   #359
Senior - BHPian

If price is a key factor and then the After-sales, I would choose Mahindra over Tata. I have a 4wd scorpio that see's a fair bit of adventure and is holding up quite well despite that. I know someone who bought a Storme, just to avoid buying the Scorp and its in the workshop now for two full weeks, although I am not sure about the actual problem.

The front facing third row is a definite plus, although its not much used, instead the middle row is pushed back for a very decent legroom.
Old 19th October 2013, 17:38   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I know someone who bought a Storme, just to avoid buying the Scorp and its in the workshop now for two full weeks, although I am not sure about the actual problem.
Now, you are scaring me. From whatever I have read on Storme's thread, it appears that the vehicle in general is trouble free (compared to the earlier gen)

I will give it a benefit of doubt, as the issue is unknown yet and that it maybe a one off incident.

I would be so much ease with a Mahindra & my brother is buying a VLX 2WD this dhanteras

^ You didn't go to any driving holiday this Pujo? I was waiting for a travelogue from your end & have read all travelogues featuring your Marengo (the 4X4 Scorpio for the uninitiated)

Mahindra dealer is a childhood bud & my place (including Dalkola) has three independent workshops of Mahindra compared to just one of Tata
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks