Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: New Pajero Sport or New Toyota Fortuner?
New Pajero Sport 14 66.67%
New Toyota Fortuner 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2015, 21:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
That is not entirely correct. The Fortuner has also seen considerable changes since its launch with newer refreshed variants and engine and transmission options being added.
Sure, thanks for clarifying, but i still disagree. Yes there have been changes but, one of the most important areas were it needed attention (especially when i see most customers complaining) is Disc brakes all around.

I had highlighted this when i was looking for a car to buy and about 2 years ago here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...erve-look.html). I believe 2-4 years is sufficient time for a manufacturer to take customer feedback and launch the changes especially when it already has it in a different market (http://www.toyota.co.th/en/product-d...tuner&opt=spec).

So, as far as Toyota is concerned especially when it comes to Fortuner, they are falling short on launching changes based on customer feedback. Part of the problem has been lack of competition, but being a market leader and trend setter i would expect them to continue to push the boundaries and set standards rather than follow them.
Old 26th January 2015, 22:01   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I believe 2-4 years is sufficient time for a manufacturer to take customer feedback and launch the changes especially when it already has it in a different market
Problem is that how many customers are complaining about the rear discs. All the people I know out of this forum do not know if there car has all discs or all drums or if there is anything like this to be considered in a car at all. Second the lack of competition is giving them a free run to ignore what they seem is not needed in the car yet.

On the positive side they did make some changes to the brake set up after the initial complaints of them being excessively spongy. So they do make note of customer feedback.
Old 27th January 2015, 15:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Today i checked the prices On road bangalore

Toyota Fortuner - BLR OTR
- Autocar - 28.6L
- Ravindu Toyota - 31.8L

Looks like Toyota quietly raised the prices again

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
- SVR Motors - 31.5L

So Toyota is now really 30K more expensive for less spec.
Old 27th January 2015, 16:06   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Today i checked the prices On road bangalore

So Toyota is now really 30K more expensive for less spec.
Which models did you check the prices for? MT vs AT, 4x2 vs 4x4?

After the recent price hike by Toyota, I expected that price difference to be significantly more now in favor of Mitsubishi. Have they too raised prices other than rolling back the excise benefits?
Old 27th January 2015, 16:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Which models did you check the prices for? MT vs AT, 4x2 vs 4x4?
All prices are after excise duty rollback

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?-20150127_160911.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?-20150127_161028.jpg
Old 27th January 2015, 19:36   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

But the real difference will be more right since the Pajero will surely carry some discount. I know Fortuner's prices are atrocious. But honestly looking at the Pajero prices, they seem justified as both competitors are similarly priced. Don't know why but I remember reading that Mitsubishi had reduced prices specially for the MT model to somewhere around 23.xxL. Surprised to see them back at 25L+ figures.
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:35   #37
BHPian

Gentlemen,
I know that this topic has been discussed at length here. But before spending 30 lacs on a vehicle i just want to be doubly sure.

My heart absolutely says Pajero Sports and i am contemplating to pick it up in April this year but am so skeptical about the after sales service and longevity of the Mitsubishi brand in India. So my head says in big bold letters "FORTUNER".

I have driven both the variants of both vehicles (Manual and Auto) and i must say the joy of driving the Pajero Sports manual surpassed anything out there but the longevity of the Toyota badging makes me wonder.

To make matters worse, Sampco (Mumbai based dealer) closed its shop last month. So effectively there ain't any dealer or service center in Mumbai.

I drive a Cedia and it has been such a pain in getting my car serviced at Mitsubishi. I have to send my vehicle around 25 kms to Navi Mumbai at Shakti Motors since apparently that the only option available.

Rajesh
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
To make matters worse, Sampco (Mumbai based dealer) closed its shop last month. So effectively there ain't any dealer or service center in Mumbai.

I drive a Cedia and it has been such a pain in getting my car serviced at Mitsubishi. I have to send my vehicle around 25 kms to Navi Mumbai at Shakti Motors since apparently that the only option available.
Honestly no one can guess what Mitsubishi is trying to achieve in India. At any given point of time since they have set foot here, they always have one model in their stable that is very promising and has a huge potential. But somehow they fail to capitalize on it and over a period of time the craze dies out and the product is left to slog for itself.

So the dealership issue can be a thorn in long term ownership period. With just 1 dealership in whole of Mumbai including Navi Mumbai, it is a scary scenario. What if this guys closes down too? Secondly what if your experience with them is not good but you are forced to interact with them for lack of choice. After my experience with Nissan over the last 3 years, I have started keeping after sales as a very important point in my priority list while buying a car.
Old 23rd February 2015, 21:32   #39
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

I have to send my vehicle around 25 kms to Navi Mumbai

There's no point taking a risk with Pajero IMHO. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant car. But servicing can be a headache if there are no dealers. Also, availability of parts will be questionable.

On the other hand, the fortuner sells >1000 units a month, shares some parts with the Innova, so there should be no problem for service and parts.

Give Santa Fe a good look before buying the Fortuner.
Old 24th February 2015, 17:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,
I know that this topic has been discussed at length here. But before spending 30 lacs on a vehicle i just want to be doubly sure.

My heart absolutely says Pajero Sports and i am contemplating to pick it up in April this year but am so skeptical about the after sales service and longevity of the Mitsubishi brand in India. So my head says in big bold letters "FORTUNER".

I have driven both the variants of both vehicles (Manual and Auto) and i must say the joy of driving the Pajero Sports manual surpassed anything out there but the longevity of the Toyota badging makes me wonder.

Rajesh
I was in the same spot a couple of months back when I was upgrading from Scorpio AT 4x4. As I reflected on my Scorpio experience, the most frustrating times were those when I had to deal with the service centers. Every service became a two day affair as there were always a couple of niggles to attend and all the service centers seemed overloaded. My job became so busy that I couldn't afford worrying about service issues and talk to service advisors to get things sorted.

Now, Pajero sport is a class apart (compared to Scorpio) so it will not have product niggles to worry about. However, what I am trying to say that A.S.S. is an important part of owning a vehicle. If every few months you are going to be frustrated because the service centers are far off or if you need some parts that are not available, then it boils down to the following equation

Is Joy of Driving Pajero - Joy of driving Fortuner > Toyota A.S.S. - Mitsubishi A.S.S

For me the A.S.S. aspect won and I picked up Fortuner.
hondadude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 19:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post

Is Joy of Driving Pajero - Joy of driving Fortuner > Toyota A.S.S. - Mitsubishi A.S.S

For me the A.S.S. aspect won and I picked up Fortuner.
The equation thing is pure gold!!! Being a CA it just made my morning reading this.

I'm currently in the US and scheduled to be back end of March. Hope there is some clarity by HM-Mitsubishi folks on the Mumbai dealership.

Else, going by your equation it looks like Fortuner.

Thanks

Rajesh
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 07:37   #42
BHPian

Hello Gentlemen........Please see below my communication with HM folks. Hope this will be helpful for all who are wondering HM-Mitsubishi's plan for Mumbai.

"Dear Mr.Rajesh Khairajani,

This has reference to your trailing mail dated 25-02-2015 sent to our Mitsubishi Website in connection with subject matter.

We, at Customer Support Services (CSS), a customer relationship wing of HMFCL-Mitsubishi, interact with customers, receive their feedback and respond to their queries & other related issues.

At the outset we regret for the inconveniences caused to you.

Regarding your query related service centre in Mumbai , We are in the process of identifying a new dealer ship in Mumbai.Once we Found a new dealer we will inform you. In the mean time we request you to contact SHAKTI MOTORS for your requirements

We kindly request you to bear with us until then

Our e-mail ID is customersupport@hmfcl.com. Please always use this ID for faster communication.

Reiterating our solemn commitment to every Mitsubishi customer, we thank you for sharing your concern with us and wishing you an everlasting happy relationship with us.

Thanks & Regards,
Customer Support Services(CSS),
Hindustan Motor Finance Corporation Limited.
Ph:044-2764 0006.
http://www.pajerosport.in/

On 25-Feb-15 4:56 AM, rck@igapl.com wrote:
Dear Customer Support Team,

Please get in touch with them immediately. Here are the details:
Enquiry Type: Dealer Related

Name : Mr.Rajesh Khairajani

Email : rck@igapl.com

Telephone type: mobile

Mobile No. : **********

City : Mumbai

Postal Code 400057

Message : Hello, I'm from Mumbai and drive a Cedia Sports 2011 model. Sampco has shut shop therby leaving no dealer/service center here. I send my car to Shakti motors in Vashi for servicing. I am thinking to buy Pajero sports in April 2015 but with no dealership/service station in a city like Mumbai i'm now skeptical. So wanted to know HMs plans for Mumbai?

Regards,
Pajero Sport Website Team."
Old 20th March 2015, 12:56   #43

Pajero Sport any day. Have driven my anniversary edition over 40 k km in the last one year and swear by it. The ride and handling is rock solid and it's built like a tank and goes everywhere. On one occasion, fully loaded and with 4 people; travelling at 100 km ph it fell three feet - ( third lane of the highway was not constructed/missing for 50 meters- nor were there any warning signs, and it was terribly fogggy). I accelerated, the car went through the bumps and a crazy incline, jumped back on the highway 50 meters ahead ! Though shaken, I kept driving another 200 km before stopping and checking the car which was all fine ! I don't know of any other vehicle in India which would have handled the situation as well as thE Pajero did.

When I bought my car, the music system and speakers were lousy, so were replaced by a pioneer double din, along with polk component speakers with a sub, now it sounds beautiful. The only other change was replacing the stock substandard tyres to Yokohama ATS all terrains.

The HM service from Excel motors in Delhi is quite decent, I have not had any issues.

Again like Nissan, Mitsubishi are let down by HM who are not correctly marketing this fantastic SUV. I prefer it over the Fortuner any day.
Reachjai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 21:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachjai View Post
Pajero Sport any day. Have driven my anniversary edition over 40 k km in the last one year and swear by it. The ride and handling is rock solid and it's built like a tank and goes everywhere. On one occasion, fully loaded and with 4 people; travelling at 100 km ph it fell three feet - ( third lane of the highway was not constructed/missing for 50 meters- nor were there any warning signs, and it was terribly fogggy). I accelerated, the car went through the bumps and a crazy incline, jumped back on the highway 50 meters ahead ! Though shaken, I kept driving another 200 km before stopping and checking the car which was all fine ! I don't know of any other vehicle in India which would have handled the situation as well as thE Pajero did.
I would think that if a Pajero Sport can handle something a 4x4 Fortuner and 4x4 Endeavour would be able to, as well - in terms of toughness. The Fortuner is the sister of the Hilux, we know what it has done. And the Everest/Endeavour is used in many countries for extensive official use in off road terrain.

But I was a bit reading about your experience. 100kmph on a foggy road when you can't see what is ahead? And you accelerated after that? And drove for 200 km before checking the vehicle?
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 22:26   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
But I was a bit reading about your experience. 100kmph on a foggy road when you can't see what is ahead? And you accelerated after that? And drove for 200 km before checking the vehicle?
+1. I specifically didn't understand the part about accelerating when you suddenly encountered a rough patch that went unnoticed due to Fog. And you still accelerated?

Also as you rightly said, the Fortuner too would have happily taken that patch. Honestly I feel even a mini SUV like Duster or a Innova/XUV500 would have also managed fine.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks