Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: New Pajero Sport or New Toyota Fortuner?
New Pajero Sport 14 66.67%
New Toyota Fortuner 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2015, 09:41   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I would think that if a Pajero Sport can handle something a 4x4 Fortuner and 4x4 Endeavour would be able to, as well - in terms of toughness. The Fortuner is the sister of the Hilux, we know what it has done. And the Everest/Endeavour is used in many countries for extensive official use in off road terrain.
True that. On the Captiva's thread too, some one was ranting about Pajero Sport's capability, while I do prefer the Mitsubishi, there honestly is nothing which a Fortuner cannot do. And not much difference in driving either (I regularly drive the 4X4 variant) Boils down to individual choices.

The new upcoming Endevour seems to hold a lot of promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also as you rightly said, the Fortuner too would have happily taken that patch. Honestly I feel even a mini SUV like Duster or a Innova/XUV500 would have also managed fine.
If the SUV jumped, then maybe the front over hang of an XUV/Innova's front bumper might have made contact. Jump > Land. Unsure about the Duster. Storme/Scorpio too would do most things, but in less style.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 22:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Personally this is how I perceive ownership of a Toyota vehicle:

1st month - I shouldn't have listened to others/ online opinions. Made a wrong choice by buying the Toyota vehicle- no excitement and day light robbery

1st year - it's a trouble free vehicle but Toyota made a lot of money at my expense.

2nd year - I think I probably made a good decision when I bought the Toyota

3rd year - ought to be the best decision I made three years ago. Tells the wife - see, I always maintain substance over everything else.

Beyond - I am only going to buy a Toyota, but God these cars are expensive!
rrsteer is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 02:05   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I would think that if a Pajero Sport can handle something a 4x4 Fortuner and 4x4 Endeavour would be able to, as well - in terms of toughness. The Fortuner is the sister of the Hilux, we know what it has done. And the Everest/Endeavour is used in many countries for extensive official use in off road terrain.

But I was a bit reading about your experience. 100kmph on a foggy road when you can't see what is ahead? And you accelerated after that? And drove for 200 km before checking the vehicle?
Yes I accelerated as I did not want to hit breaks and risk toppling over - given the speed I was at. I kept going as the car felt just fine. I was going fast as the fog kept coming in patches and disappearing in between - besides did not expect the bloody national highway to disappear !!

Coming back to the discussion, I bought mine against the fortuner after considering two things - a) feedback on the car from a buddy who has driven his across all kinds of terrain as a rally martial/route planner/rally driver/official etc etc over 170 k km and would not part with it still. His car still does not have a single rattle even now.
b) Feedback from a I IT trained engineer running his own garage now after running a mitsubishi dealership - he only likes to maintain Pajeros and Mercedes, and has an enviable client list - many of whom only travel long distance in their Pajero's as it is least likely to let them down !!

There are many who have spent fortunes repairing their crashed Pajeros after crazy crashes because of their attachment and as they owe their lives to the sheer robustness of this car.

Another reason for me was exclusivity - today every one drives a fortuner - not Pajero. I also find the ride, high speed handling, off road visibility, and looks of Pajero better; but it's a personal view. The Fortuner is a good suv and is cheaper to service but I like Pajero better.

There was sone discussion on 4x4 - unless you are off roading in crazy terrain or weather you don't need it as the torque is plenty, and when you do, you have a superb system at hand. It's not a very fancy car electronically but that's deliberate and to reduce breakdown potential.

With regard to future, HM and Mitsubishi will continue to focus on SUV's in the near future, and Mr. Bose confirmed to me in an off-chance run in, that they are getting ready to relaunch more suv's including Montero.

Cheers !
Reachjai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 11:59   #49
BHPian

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Hi guys if i were buying a new car it would be the fortuner, but if second hand then pajero sport!

The pajero suffers from higher depreciation in the used market

But as a car, pajero sport i feel is superior for everyday use in comparison to the fortuner because of the ride quality.

Chennai particularly has good support from mitsubishi so i think its not a bad choice!!
Old 6th April 2015, 18:01   #50

With Toyota now launching the 4*4 automatic, the scales would tip in their favour - if your prefer Automatics. HM being HM have just offered Auto transmission in 2 WD, and have removed the 4 wd option in the auto !!!

Would these guys (HM) ever learn ? They have already run into the ground some of the most capable automobiles in India like the Montero, Lancer, Evo, Outlander etc etc they have one product now and are even now acting Pricy !
Old 6th April 2015, 18:38   #51
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachjai View Post

Would these guys (HM) ever learn ?
Honestly it's not their fault. They just don't sell enough cars which does justice to introduce a 4WD AT. It's more expensive, less fuel efficient and I'm sure mitsubishi has to import more parts which translates into spares being expensive and not immediately available.

For the fat profit margins Toyota make, they can afford to sell the AT and keep spares ready and relatively cheap.

Also, how many 4WD AT fortuners do you think toyota sells? There's lesser demand for it compared to other versions.
Old 6th April 2015, 18:48   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Honestly it's not their fault. They just don't sell enough cars which does justice to introduce a 4WD AT. It's more expensive, less fuel efficient and I'm sure mitsubishi has to import more parts which translates into spares being expensive and not immediately available.
HM already sell 2WD Auto and 4WD Manual so what stops them putting Auto in 4WD ? Or do they have a different Auto Gear box for 2WD & 4 WD - I think they are simply lazy and the guy at helm of Indian operations has no clue of market - they should have launched 4 X4 Auto even before 2WD - they could have easily got so many Fortuner customers ( me included ! )

Quote:
Also, how many 4WD AT fortuners do you think toyota sells? There's lesser demand for it compared to other versions
Plenty - I think 4 WD AT Fortuner has longest waiting time .

I was at Chandigarh dealership last week , sales guy have no idea about 4WD Pajero but was sounding confident on relaunch of Montero somewhere around 55 Lac

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th April 2015 at 18:49.
Old 7th April 2015, 16:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
HM already sell 2WD Auto and 4WD Manual so what stops them putting Auto in 4WD ? Or do they have a different Auto Gear box for 2WD & 4 WD - I think they are simply lazy and the guy at helm of Indian operations has no clue of market - they should have launched 4 X4 Auto even before 2WD - they could have easily got so many Fortuner customers ( me included ! )

Plenty - I think 4 WD AT Fortuner has longest waiting time .

I was at Chandigarh dealership last week , sales guy have no idea about 4WD Pajero but was sounding confident on relaunch of Montero somewhere around 55 Lac
Talking about the guys at the helm - was at a customer contact event in Delhi, where they had called a retired rally driver from Japan to promote Pajero Sport, where the guys at the helm started a marketing presentation on the SUV market in India, at which point the audience went to sleep !!

I have no idea why they were pedalling internal marketing stuff to their customers.

On asking why Mitsubishi / HM were taking vehicles off the market instead of adding new ones, and to the specific question on Auto 4 WD, the great reply was that the market in India was not ready for it !! Of course, they could not answer the subsequent question that if this was true, what accounted for the sales of all the other premium suv's from Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Land Rover etc etc that offered customers the option.

I think the only saving grace is the robust vehicle and the efforts of the local dealers for service support.
Old 29th July 2015, 18:13   #54

Hi, I own Pajero Sports Annv Edition for last two years. This year I did 6,400km Mumbai - Ladakh - Mumbai trip. One word to describe my experience of driving Pajero - WoW. It handled so well across the hills, difficult terrains and off-road excursions. We had some Fortuner's in the convoy and they were handling well too, yet Pajero commanded respect from others. One of my friend, on return, traded his XUV and bought Pajero. City driving is a bit sluggish but long drives such a breeze. I think best answer would be to have AT 4x4. The new 2016 editions of both Fortuner and Pajero are stunning, hope they get launched in India soon. It will always be a tussle between the two. I suggest go with personal style equation. Performance wise there is only 19/20 difference.
anilmodi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 09:04   #55
BHPian

Hi folks,

I am based in NCR and looking to buy a pre-owned 7 seater Manual 4x4 SUV, not more than 4 years old and about 50000 KMs run. The options that I have shortlisted are:

1. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - because I have always wanted to own one and I like the looks of it more and because of the very capable Super Select 4x4.

2. Toyota Fortuner - because it is a Toyota and hence the ownership and service experience.

The reason I am confused and hence want your valuable advice is because in the pre-owned market, there is a substantial price gap between the two vehicles. With the specifications as I mention above, though a Pajero Sport would be available in the range of 13-15 Lakhs, a Fortuner would still fetch about 18-20 Lakhs at least.

Can you please give your valuable advice on which one should I go for and why?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th May 2017, 10:27   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Can you please give your valuable advice on which one should I go for and why?
Let me pen down a few advantages of both here so that you come to a decision:

1. Fortuner
The Good
Good resale.
Easy and reputed service access.
Good low-end torque and a bigger engine.
The Bad
Horrid ride.
Below average brakes.
Bad interiors
Bad visibility.

2. Pajero Sport
The Good
Amazing brakes.
Brilliant ride quality and long distance/high speed comfort.
Flat loading area at the last row.
Built very tough, can be felt easily.
The Bad
Pathetic low-end torque.
Minimal after sales network and expensive spares.
Low resale.

That apart, they are pretty much the same on FE, offroad abilities and interior space. Both are reliable, have great ACCs and will last very, very long if kept well.

If I were you, I'd pick up a Pajero Sport and spend 50k on putting a Race Dynamics tuning box and a K&N filter to solve the low end torque issue.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 11:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

I am based in NCR and looking to buy a pre-owned 7 seater Manual 4x4 SUV, not more than 4 years old and about 50000 KMs run. The options that I have shortlisted are:
Of the two, i'd recommend the Fortuner to you. Pajero Sport may be very robust, durable etc but the Fortuner is that much more in that department. And these criteria are important while choosing a used car. The issue of ride and brakes are over blown frankly. Pajero is better on those parameters but the difference is not day night as some point out. In terms of cabin too, Fortuner atleast to me is more usable and importantly has more width to offer. Also given the environmental regulations the prices you are getting is on the higher side. I would recommend to look around more a good 2013 make Fortuner can be had for around 15- 16 lacs.

If you are not too hung up about engine power, I'd also recommend you to look for the old Pajero of 2012- 2013 vintage. Very very capable vehicles that are also simpler to maintain. I am very close to striking a deal for 2013 white grey color Pajero (Gorgeous looking), 47k run for around Rs 12 lacs. I am still unsure if that is good money to shell out for the vehicle. Our negotiations started from Rs 15lacs.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

If I were you, I'd pick up a Pajero Sport and spend 50k on putting a Race Dynamics tuning box and a K&N filter to solve the low end torque issue.
Thank you so much Devdath for that advice. Actually my heart lies with the Pajero Sport and you have just given me additional reason to go for it. As for resale, I buy my cars after considerable amount of research and never ever plan to sell them, and that would be even more true for the Pajero Sport, so resale is not something that bothers me at all.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but are there any side effects to the Tuning Box and K&N filter that you suggest?

Oh, and by the way, I found out from your facebook page that you also went to St. Joseph's School, Shaktinagar. Me too.
Touringlawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 23:28   #59
BHPian

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a used 7 seater. Something around the 10L-12L range. I've been contemplating between old style Pajero vs Endeavour vs Pajero Sport vs Fortuner. Age ranges i'm getting in my budget are around 2010-2012.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
Shireesh
Old 29th May 2017, 09:55   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Pardon me for my ignorance, but are there any side effects to the Tuning Box and K&N filter that you suggest?
None, as long as you don't use the highest power mode continuously. Even if you do, as long as you do it when the engine is warm and let it idle for some time before shutting it down, it is fine.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, I found out from your facebook page that you also went to St. Joseph's School, Shaktinagar. Me too.
Small world indeed. Which year?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks