Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: New Pajero Sport or New Toyota Fortuner?
New Pajero Sport 14 66.67%
New Toyota Fortuner 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th June 2018, 14:29   #76
BHPian

I am getting a Jan 2016 registered Fortuner 4x4 AT for 21 Lakhs. Saw the car today. Looks and drives like new. No signs of damage. Insurance policy has 25% NCB. Drove to Toyota ASS with the owner and dug out the service records. Whilst the 5k services had been missed, all 10k services had been done on time and corraborated with the cars current mileage i.e. 60k. No body work had ever been undertaken at least at Toyota.
The car has an outstanding loan of 9 lakhs.
The car has 6 more months of toyota warranty left.
Since the 5 k services had been missed, toyota extended warranty is not allowed. However, Galaxy toyota is ready to give 2 years additional warranty at a cost of 34k.
So what do the gurus have to say?
Is this a good deal? Should I go ahead? Anything I may have missed?
Old 29th June 2018, 15:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I am getting a Jan 2016 registered Fortuner 4x4 AT for 21 Lakhs.
210k for a 60k done 2016 Fortuner is a good price to begin with. If I were you, I wouldn't even have negotiated further.

Do a thorough body check (body repairs can be done outside T.A.S.S also), then do a thorough interior check (though it doesn't have too many electronics to begin with) and finally, take it to Toyota for a pre-purchase inspection (should cost you around 3k).

Tyres, if worn out, would pinch you a little so you can use their current condition to negotiate further maybe. During the pre-purchase inspection you can specifically ask them to check the brake discs. Brake pads are cheap but discs, if worn out, would cost you around 22k.

However, with the newer & much better Fortuner around, I just can't suggest anyone to get the prev-gen Fortuner. So buy it if you really must!
Old 29th June 2018, 15:32   #78
Team-BHP Support

Get the extended warranty if you are going to be clocking high mileage, else, usually nothing much is required as to what I have seen.

If budget is a non issue, get the warranty (is it dealer exclusive, on paper) I hope it has AT tires.
Old 30th June 2018, 08:28   #79
BHPian

How about a Jan 2017 Endeavour 2.2 4x4 MT for 23 lakhs? This is also with service records. No insurance claims. Test drove and i really liked the engine and gearbox. Felt much better and involving to drive as compared to the Fortuner AT. Also, as my family accompanies me frequently on long drives of 10-12 hours, reviews about Fortuners bouncy ride is the one big issue thats keeping me from putting my money on it. Endeavour on the other hand has a much better ride I believe.
Old 30th June 2018, 10:17   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about a Jan 2017 Endeavour 2.2 4x4 MT for 23 lakhs?
Its like a league ahead of prev-gen Fortuner even with the 2.2L engine. However, the real fun is in the 3.2L engine simply because at times the 2.2L leaves you gasping for a tad more. Once you drive the 3.2L you just wouldn't be able to settle for the 2.2L.

I'm not sure of your usage but the new Endy is still getting tested in the market for its longevity while Fortuners are out there clocking 400k-500k and more. So think about your usage before you settle for our American friend.

Prev-gen Fortuner's ride is not for the faint hearted. With a little aggresssive driving on not so good roads my parents in the back were thrown around everywhere so they didn't like it the least bit. However, its just me and my wife 99% of the times so it isn't that big an issue. The ride is uncomfortable for sure, especially for the folks in the rear.
Old 30th June 2018, 10:28   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Its like a league ahead of prev-gen Fortuner even with the 2.2L engine. However, the real fun is in the 3.2L engine simply because at times the 2.2L leaves you gasping for a tad more. Once you drive the 3.2L you just wouldn't be able to settle for the 2.2L.

I'm not sure of your usage but the new Endy is still getting tested in the market for its longevity while Fortuners are out there clocking 400k-500k and more. So think about your usage before you settle for our American friend.

Prev-gen Fortuner's ride is not for the faint hearted. With a little aggresssive driving on not so good roads my parents in the back were thrown around everywhere so they didn't like it the least bit. However, its just me and my wife 99% of the times so it isn't that big an issue. The ride is uncomfortable for sure, especially for the folks in the rear.
My usage would be around 20k kms an year max. Mostly long drives to all corners of HP/ UK.
Speaking of concerns, I understand that the Endeavour with its Terrain Management System and other host of electronics would be much more complicated to repair vis a vis the older Fortuner.

I am not an aggressive driver at all. Stick to speeds of 90-100. Hows the ride at these and lower speeds on not so nice roads?
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 10:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My usage would be around 20k kms an year max. Mostly long drives to all corners of HP/ UK.
A couple of friends have the new Endeavour and haven't reported any major repair or issue with the car so far, max I've seen on their odo is just 35k though. How it fares in the long run is something I wouldn't be sure of. The motherload of electronics is what scares me the most. My general feeling about cars with too many electronics is that they start creating issues over the years.

The only small experience I have first hand is when me and a friend went for a snow drive and Endeavour's horn gave up after a half-day session of drifting & doing donuts in the snow. Well, it was just the horn but its things like these which'll make me stay away from the Endeavour and consider the new Fortuner even with its harsher ride.

Given my drives, I'd prefer a utilitarian but reliable vehicle rather than luxurious & gizmo loaded which may ditch you god knows when.

As for Fortuner's ride, its actually terrible on low speeds upto 30-40 kmph but once you pick up speed, the thing just glides over all sort of potholes. A super light steering on the Endeavour and a terribly heavy one on the Fortuner is another thing you may have noticed.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 12:52   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How about a Jan 2017 Endeavour 2.2 4x4 MT for 23 lakhs? This is also with service records. No insurance claims. Test drove and i really liked the engine and gearbox.

How is the 4X4 different from the 3.2? It just has the H2, H4, L4? It is tempting because of that suspension. And I much prefer H4, L4 than sand mode/rock mode & mom in law mode.
Old 30th June 2018, 13:01   #84
BHPian

From what i understand, 2.2's 4x4 is same as 3.2's. Basically the Terrain Mgmt System with snow/ mud modes and a rock mode with low range as well.
The reasons why I m getting tempted towards the Endeavour are its much better ride and overall feel/ finish.
The things that worry me are the abundance of Electronics and Ford India in general.
Old 30th June 2018, 14:07   #85
Team-BHP Support

Then get the Fortuner and upgrade its suspension. This one is easy.
Old 30th June 2018, 14:13   #86
BHPian

Can you suggest me links to some thread/ posts where people have done such suspension upgrades with good improvements in ride quality?
Old 30th June 2018, 17:30   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what i understand, 2.2's 4x4 is same as 3.2's. Basically the Terrain Mgmt System with snow/ mud modes and a rock mode with low range as well.
The reasons why I m getting tempted towards the Endeavour are its much better ride and overall feel/ finish.
The things that worry me are the abundance of Electronics and Ford India in general.
Your messages here and Ford Endeavour thread and PM- Have you tried new Innova? I think it will fit all of your criteria except for the Macho image of SUV if that’s very important to you. I don’t know if you actually need a 4*4 or just a large comfortable vehicle to travel long distances.

If you have already taken off Innova from your list and want to decide between New Endy 2,2( preowned) and Old Fortuner, I will suggest Old Fortuner for multiple reasons Including low cost of ownership and good resale. Even though you plan to keep it for 8-10 years, from what I have seen, most people are able to upgrade their cars earlier and an Old Auto Fortuner will be like a 24 ct Gold, you can sell at anytime. Besides Auto will definitely be a plus for city use. There are enough examples here of the fortuners bought old and going strong. 60-70K is nothing for a Fortuner.

Now coming to the ride comfort, I don’t think you can do much on any of these trucks. Ironman or ARB both have products for Off Road usage and these may not add comfort contrary to general perception so if you want to travel in comfort especially on the rear bench, look again at Innova.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th June 2018 at 17:45.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 20:38   #88
BHPian

Based on the advice received from you all, have decided to go for the Fortuner. Whilst ride quality may take a bit of a hit, reliability, strong resale and good price on offer are difficult to ignore factors. Also, as regards the ride quality, I had a 2009 Scorpio SLE MHawk for 7 years. I did extensive touring with the Scorpio, and the family was also more or less satisfied, except for the odd conplaints on really bad sections of roads.
I have little time to close the deal, as i have to head back to work from Delhi, where I am on vacation right now. The fact that the car is HP registered, and I also want to register it in my name in my native town Shimla, may make the task a littlw difficult.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 09:17   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Now coming to the ride comfort, I donít think you can do much on any of these trucks. Ironman or ARB both have products for Off Road usage and these may not add comfort contrary to general perception so if you want to travel in comfort especially on the rear bench, look again at Innova.
That is some solid information. Yes, I was under this impression for some time, glad you clarified it and coming from you, I know, this is true.

Crysta is good, but doesn't wow you as far as looks go, rest it is OP's decision.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 13:47   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The fact that the car is HP registered, and I also want to register it in my name in my native town Shimla, may make the task a littlw difficult.
You should negotiate better prices, HP registered cars are cheaper due to the lower Road Tax and the hassles of selling in NCR. Very difficult to find native HP buyers and NOC. Re-registration is expensive. So unless you have already paid a deposit, you must ask for better prices. HP registered Fortuner won't be an easy sell for MGF surely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That is some solid information. Yes, I was under this impression for some time, glad you clarified it and coming from you, I know, this is true.

Crysta is good, but doesn't wow you as far as looks go, rest it is OP's decision.
Even I was under similar impressions before, In vehicles like Fortuners or Endeavour, Body roll does improve and even the bounce gets controlled, I remember the exact sentence of our fellow member - Ace F355 from a group chat that these guys are not coachbuilders He had an Ironman before and now ARB. Below thread will also be useful for OP
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-crunched.html

So the comfort might be a byproduct as the primary focus of these products is an improvement in Off-road behaviour only. Though I must add, my Gypsy is far more comfortable now with ARB over the regular OE suspension.

Crysta is a very good vehicle to travel long distances in comfort but for a lot of people, it does not get the same image or respect/ command or whatever so it gets ignored. But many guys who have no such considerations will always prefer Innova.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st July 2018 at 14:08.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed