Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: New Pajero Sport or New Toyota Fortuner?
New Pajero Sport 14 66.67%
New Toyota Fortuner 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 10:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Hi All,

This question must be floating in all 4x4 enthusiasts' minds after the launch of the new Pajero Sport by Mitsubishi. In the long run (1 year timeframe!) I am also evaluating both of these options. Though I have not test driven the Pajero sport yet, I would like to take feedback from all of you on the relative merits / demerits of each! (though we are all passionate about our choices, I would appreciate constructive comments and feedback please)

Some of the stregths / Weaknesses of each:

Pajero Sport
Strengths
Strong lineage of 4x4 vehicles and good technology
Good interior aesthetics
Good ergonomics
Good offroader

Weaknesses
Horrible partnership with HM, bad support network
Large size, inconvenient for city use
Dated Audio system
Higher Initial price and drastic depreciation

New Toyota Fortuner
Strengths
Very reliable vehicle and strong support network
Toyota Brand value
Good offroad capabilities
Manageable size

Weaknesses
Lack of cabin space - especially headroom
Plain Jane interiors (though much better in the new version now)
Ride quality for daily use

Your comments and feedback are appreciated!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st March 2012 at 10:49.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:55   #2
BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Hello,

I do not understand much about SUV's and 4x4's. But in your weaknesses list for the Fortuner you forgot to add one very important point - Braking

Also going by the reviews on this forum, the off-roading capabilities of Pajero are superior than the Fortuner

My comments are based purely on the reviews and information available on the forum

Thank you
Old 21st March 2012, 11:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would go with Fortuner primarily because I don't trust HM/Mitsu for service. In the long run, it will be much more expensive to own/maintain than the Fortuner.

Given that I can get a Toyota 4WD, with VSC for 21 Lakhs ex showroom, I don't see the need to pay 3 Lakhs more to get the Pajero Sport from a company which is not interested in the Indian market at all..
Old 21st March 2012, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Pajero any day over fortuner,

Mitsubishi makes over engineered car-ask any pajero owners they have any issue with car answer is just no,it's amazing,

Pajero Sports would again be something to own & forget other issues for life,

So I would go for Pajero Sports.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam00
Old 21st March 2012, 11:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

New Fortuner any day. For more reasons then one
  1. I would buy a SUV to take it anywhere, that's what its meant to be, and Toyotas availability being wider then Mitsubishi.
  2. With a horizon of owning the car for next 10 years, i feel Toyota are better positioned in India, they have invested more, and looks like are here to stay. Mitsubishi on the other hand, although build quality cars, give an impression that they are fly-by-night operators. Being among the first entrant in this market they still do not command wide presence, mostly because of HM.
  3. Fortuner has much wider user reviews, most problems if any have been already faced by others hence there are ample ways to get them fixed.
  4. Icing on the cake, Fortuner will be cheaper then the Pajero Sport, how often we get to hear that .
Old 21st March 2012, 11:20   #6
BANNED

This could very well be a never ending thread since both these vehicles are close competitors, across markets.

If I had the wherewithal, I d go for the Pajero Sport due to two main reasons;
1. Its longevity is well established, more than the Fortuner and,
2. Though spares are expensive, one rarely gets to see a dissatisfied Pajero owner.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 11:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

T-Fort!

Mitsu is clueless about Indian market, you cannot trust HM-Mitsu partnership and A.S.S
Old 21st March 2012, 11:29   #8
BHPian

Pajero Sport anyday over Fortuner. In several geographies where both the vehicles are available, Pajero Sport wins hands down. Pajero Sport is much more loaded vehicle compared to Fortuner and hence higher price. I believe it will be locally assembled in India sometime within this year that should bring the price further down.

Size wise they are almost identical vehicles, check on any website. Pajero Sport has better turning radius so it will be easier to use for city driving. Network alone does not make a vehicle superior. If that was the case, then Grand Vitara should have topped the sales charts.

Last edited by Chat : 21st March 2012 at 11:35. Reason: Additonal comment
Old 21st March 2012, 12:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I would go with Fortuner primarily because I don't trust HM/Mitsu for service. In the long run, it will be much more expensive to own/maintain than the Fortuner.
I am curious to know if the HM / Mitsu service was experienced first hand.
I have had an excellent experience with Mitsubishi as far as service is concerned.

If this thought is floated based on mass opinion, I dont think this should be considered as a point towards decision.

8-9 months back, the OLD Pajero touted the new Toyota Fortuner in an Overdrive video

If this was the case for the OLD Pajero, Imagine what the new Pajero Sport can do.

Case in Point:
Take a comprehensive test drive and decide.
My vote goes for the Pajero, Hands down
raajks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 12:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Before anyone can actually answer one needs to drive the Pajero Sports. Else the discussion is pointless.

The Mitsu would be a good contender if it has better (read softer) ride comfort than the Fortuner.

Also thanks to the disaster of Cedia and Outlander Mitsu is left with hardly any dealer network. Most of the dealers have shut shop or moved to other brands. Unless this is rectified I don't see people looking at Pajero Sports especially considering the pricing is also a premium over the Toyota.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 12:26   #11
BHPian

Higher votes doesn't necessarily mean more sales for the Pajero... perhaps team-bhp members would be the few to buy it, not the junta who wouldnt even look at it.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:30   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Before anyone can actually answer one needs to drive the Pajero Sports. Else the discussion is pointless.
Agreed. We should be doing an official review soon. Until then, or the time that a BHPian uploads a full driving report, this thread is temporarily closed. We cannot root for / against a car without knowing anything about it!

@ All : If you have a review to share on the Pajero Sport, please use the report this post to a Moderator functionality and this thread will be opened.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 19:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Support: Thread reopened on request. BHPian Tommie wants to post a review.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 12:48   #14
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

@anshuman - Thanks for opening the thread.

For the past few weeks, I have been thinking of upgrading my Honda City iVTec to a SUV after going through the bad roads in Bangalore City. The high level requirements for my need were are follows:
- A SUV that commands road respect. In the eye level of a bus driver/water tanker driver and a vehicle that scares a two wheeler and a vehicle that is used by politicians
-The SUV can take on bad roads when required, such as a detour through a muddy diversion where large pot-holes which are typically created by buses/trucks
-Avoid large stones and foot paths scraping your bumper or running board.
-An international model which is selling outside India
-7 Seater
-Good comfort features & shorter turning radius
-An automatic with cruise control (Preferably)

I had shortlisted the new Pajero Sport Anniversary Edition and Fortuner AT from the whole list of Rexton, SantaFe, Endeavour, Captiva, Safari, Scorpio, Innova, & XUV 500 which are within the 30 lacs class. The entire premium segment (BMW X1/Audi Q3) were taken off since none of them support 7 seaters. The reason for short listing Pajero Sport is supposed to be a very well built vehicle with a nice look (not too aggressive), refined and has a lot of new features .

Pajero Sport Anniversary edition
Specs:
-2.477 litre 4 cylinder 16Valve intercooled Turbocharged DOHC common rail DI-Diesel
-Power of 177bhp @4000 rpm
-Torque- 400Nm @2000-2500 rpm
- 5 speed manual gear box and ‘Super Select 4WD’ with 4 modes “2H, 4H, 4HLc and 4LLc”
- 0-100kmph in 13.3 secs
-Approach angle-36 degress and Departure Angle -25 degrees; Ramp breakover angle -23degrees
-Fuel capacity: 70 liters (old pajero had 92-liter tank)
-Fuel average: 8.5kmpl(city) & 10.8kmpl(highway)
-Price: 24.23 lacs ex-showroom + 5.09 lacs (Road tax+Handling)+ 70K I(insurance)= 30.03 lacs (On-Road@ Bangalore)
-Ground Clearance: 215mm
-Wheelbase: 2800mm
-Length x Width x height: 4695mm x 1815 mm x 1840
-Kerb weight: 2065

What I liked:
  • Solid suspension and feels wells built
  • Bright and airy interiors
  • On the fly 4x4 shifting
  • Three ways of 4x4 –basic 4H, 4HLc and 4LLc
  • Full-fledged central media console with GPS maps and Bluetooth
  • Superb 3rd seating – lots of space for even large adults above 6 feet
  • 8 way electronic driver seat adjustment
  • Third row seats drops properly to give flat boot space.
  • Rear brakes with both disc and drum
  • Higher city fuel average (~12kmpl) – Need to verify
  • Shorter turning radius for 4x4 (5.6m)
What I did not like:
  • Single dealer in Karnataka – only 150 cars per year in Karnataka
  • Hydraulic steering which is too tight for city driving. Pretty rough and need to slow to take U turns.
  • The gear ratios are not very perfect for city driving.
  • Hard clutch, difficult to run on half clutch in the stop-go traffic
  • No thigh support for 2nd row passengers.
  • Engine noiser than the Fortuner.
  • Body roll higher than Fortuner.
  • Does not have the road respect like a fortuner
New Toyota Fortuner 2WD 5 Speed AT
I know some of you might say that I am not doing a fair part by not comparing the Fortuner 4x4 manual. I did not even try the 4x4 since I was not happy with the poor turning radius (5.9m) and heavier diesel engine(3L) which needs powerful clutch operation since I need this one to be primarily used in Bangalore City.

Specs
  • 2.982 liters 4-cylinder inline with 16 valve Intercooler Turbocharger and DOHC Common Rail Diesel Engine
  • Power: 171ps @3600 rpm
  • Torque:360nm @1400-3200rpm
  • Warranty – 3 years/1,00,000 km
  • Fuel tank: 80 Liters
  • 0-100 kmph - 12 secs
  • Top speed; 185kmph
  • Fuel average: 8.5kmpl(city) & 10.8kmpl(highway)
  • Fuel Consumption: 8-9 km/l (City), 10-12 km/l (highway)
  • Ground clearance: 220mm
  • Kerb weight: 1880kg
  • Length x Width x height:4705mmx1840mm x 1850mm
  • Price: 24.16 lacs ex-showroom + 4.89 lacs (Road tax+Handling)+ 75.79K I(insurance)+6.8K (ToyotaCare)= 29.88 lacs (On-road@ Bangalore)
What I liked:
-Very smooth automatic gear box
-Soft steering and short turning radius 5.6m (for automatic). It also feels good to turn due to the electronic Power Steering
-Silent engine and comfortable cabin.
-Did not feel like driving a large car, felt mostly like an innova on the road
-Road presence and road respect
-Good service and support network.

What I did not like:
-No GPS maps on the central console
-Third row not good for adult men
-The third row folds up on the side which takes away cabin space and the boot floor is not uniform even when the second row folds.

Verdict: In summary, the driving of a Pajero Sport like a MM540 whereas the Fortuner felt more like the Innova. Hence, unless you are a serious off-roader do not think about Pajero Sport. Look for Fortuner if you are looking for an Urban SUV. However, I would wait for the next version of Fortuner (2014) to arrive before making the buying plan.

Last edited by Tommie : 27th September 2013 at 12:58.
Tommie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 15:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Given that the price and engine capacities are almost the same, technically speaking there is one huge primary difference -
Fortuner = fulltime 4wd
Pajero Sport = part time 4wd

For the technically oriented towards exploring offroad destinations, a fulltime 4wd will allow you to go that much more further without the need to select 4wd.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks