Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: New Pajero Sport or New Toyota Fortuner?
New Pajero Sport 14 66.67%
New Toyota Fortuner 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2018, 13:53   #91
BHPian

I am sorry but can you help me with what MGF stands for? Also, as I have agreed to the price, won't be possible to come down now. Only issue is if I get the time to close the deal and finish paper work in 7 days. Otherwise may have to let it go.

What's your opinion on the resale of this particular car say 6 years down the line? Will it be easy to sell a 2nd owner Fortuner? Whilst I would have loved to retain it, but news of 10 year old diesel vehicles being pulled over in NCR will necessitate selling it off before 2026.

Last edited by nvldvr : 1st July 2018 at 13:56.
Old 1st July 2018, 14:21   #92
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I am sorry but can you help me with what MGF stands for?
Sorry, you are buying from Galaxy, I thought its MGF - just another dealer.

Quote:
Also, as I have agreed to the price, won't be possible to come down now. Only issue is if I get the time to close the deal and finish paper work in 7 days. Otherwise may have to let it go.
What's your opinion on the resale of this particular car say 6 years down the line? Will it be easy to sell a 2nd owner Fortuner? Whilst I would have loved to retain it, but news of 10 year old diesel vehicles being pulled over in NCR will necessitate selling it off before 2026
HP vehicles are not easily saleable in Delhi NCR and due to multiple reasons, Fortuner is not something that has high demand in the HP but this might change in 5-6 Years due to improving roads and an overall increase in purchasing power but it's a big truck and most people prefer small vehicle in hills - right?

If you check the new On-Road prices for an HP Fortuner vs NCR registration, the difference will be easily 2,5-3 Lac so this must reflect in your purchase prices as well. Same way you will be expected to sell at cheaper rates when it's time for you to sell. There is no harm in accepting an error in your calculation while making an offer. Just tell him clearly that you need lower prices for an HP registered truck and they need to better the prices. They will come back to you. If you are ok with an HP car, do check Chandigarh market as well.

I did saw a post of an Old Innova being pulled over, it might get tricky for outside state cars as those are easily identified from the plates so if that's an issue, I am afraid, you need to consider that.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st July 2018 at 14:24.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 16:09   #93
BHPian

Thanks. I think this variant was around 28 lakhs on road in Jan 16 in HP. Even with the year end discount, may be around 27. So 6 lakhs depreciation for a 2.5 year old Fortuner - Does it not sound reasonable?
Old 1st July 2018, 18:57   #94
BHPian

All Himachlis I know from that area have upgraded from Scorpios to XUVs quite happily. However, you know how their decisions are made. If one person makes the upgrade in the village, everyone who can, will make the same upgrade.
However, XUV is quite a competent vehicle and has veen faring quite well for my friends in Kotkhai and Shimla.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 16:29   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I think this variant was around 28 lakhs on road in Jan 16 in HP. Even with the year end discount, may be around 27. So 6 lakhs depreciation for a 2.5 year old Fortuner - Does it not sound reasonable?
Not really.
Depreciation for a vehicle between 2-3 years old is generally calculated as 30%. Which, for 27l translates to a little over 18.
Remember the first 5 years is when the vehicle depreciates the most - that should work for, and not against the used car buyer - 20% odd depreciation after 2 years of age is not a fair deal in the current case, IMO. Especially since this is effectively a discontinued model, given that the new Fortuner is, well, "all-new". That aspect should nullify any premium brand Fortuner commands in the Indian used market (for previous generation examples).

Edit:
Please do keep in mind that you are buying into an older platform - that model was long in tooth, and borderline outdated even by big body-on-frame SUV lifecycle standards. That really should be factored into the price you pay.
My guess is that the other guy would be someone wishing to upgrade to the new model - unless there's a sudden change in use case brought on by unforseen circumstances, that's the most likely reason.
Accordingly, he should pay the depreciation for buying a model at the end of its lifecycle, and then selling it off so early - smack in the middle of the big depreciation hit period.
Also, you say you plan to keep the vehicle for a goodish bit - that in itself should be a turn-off from going for the older model of a vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for old school, but I don't think the new generation has sacrificed that much in this example.

Last edited by Mu009 : 2nd July 2018 at 16:53. Reason: Explained above
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 19:04   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Stick to speeds of 90-100. Hows the ride at these and lower speeds on not so nice roads?
It is pretty uncomfortable, especially the previous gen and while scores of owners live with it, I couldn't digest it. Why do you need a 4wd SUV in the first place?
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:45   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It is pretty uncomfortable, especially the previous gen and while scores of owners live with it, I couldn't digest it. Why do you need a 4wd SUV in the first place?
Well I am not into offloading. However, I keep on heading to places in all corners of HP/ UK multiples times an year, primarily for treks/ holidays with family. Places like Sankri/ Badrinath etc. On many a occasion, I have stayed in places where the trails leading up to them were dicey.
So an SUV with good ground clearance, AWD/ 4WD is a must I feel. Other important criteria is reliability. Don't want to get stranded late in the evening at some remote place with family in the car. Good ride quality won't hurt at all.
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:49   #98
BANNED

Quote:
an SUV with good ground clearance, AWD/ 4WD is a must I feel. Other important criteria is reliability. Don't want to get stranded late in the evening at some remote place with family in the car. Good ride quality won't hurt at all.
Reliability is a given with most brands today and you can rest assured that a Mahindra or a Tata (the Hexa of course) will more than suffice your requirements.

My recommendation:

1. If you are ok with a manual transmission, go for the Hexa AWD.
2. If you need an AT, look at the XUV AWD AT.
3. Frankly, you should consider the Innova as well, in the trim you can afford, in the AT guise. Innova taxis go almost everywhere we personal users travel to.

They are very good vehicles and in your budget you can buy them new with warranties.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:01   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

1. If you are ok with a manual transmission, go for the Hexa AWD.

3. Frankly, you should consider the Innova as well, in the trim you can afford, in the AT guise. Innova taxis go almost everywhere we personal users travel to.
I have taken multiple test drives of Hexa XT 4x4 and to be honest, there was not a thing I could find fault with. I even found the so called "notchy" gear shift to be actually pretty decent. The overall fit and finish are great for the price it's being offered at. Also, it's a genuine 7 seater, with a middle bench offering greater thigh support and raised height off the floor (2 factors which I feel are most critical for comfort on loonnngg drives). The ride quality of course was awesome.

It's just that in the true spirit of search for a new car, I have been exploring options in the higher segments as well. Otherwise I agree that hexa pretty much meets all my requirements.

However, I would stay away from the Innova, primarily on account of its lower GC, and the lack of AWD option.
Old 3rd July 2018, 23:27   #100
BANNED

Quote:
It's just that in the true spirit of search for a new car, I have been exploring options in the higher segments as well. Otherwise I agree that hexa pretty much meets all my requirements.
Then go for it, it is unlike any other car TML has made so far and has kept most of its owners happy so far.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 20:41   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After sales service with Mitsubishi is a hit/miss. For instance, the one here in Bangalore leaves much to be desired whereas from what I have heard, the one in Pune is very good. But for that, Mitsubishi SUVs are a class apart, not to mention the exclusivity factor, what with everyone and his nephew driving around in a Fortuner (with all due respect to a supremely capable SUV that it is)!!

I would strongly recommend going in for a pre-owned Pajero Sport - given the low resale it commands, you are sure to get a sweet deal. I would have bought one for sure, if not for my insane infatuation with the SFX
Old 6th July 2018, 08:40   #102
BHPian

I'm not sure if this is an intelligent question or a no-brainer but I will still go ahead and ask it .

Between the Pajero Sport and Pajero SFX, is the Pajero Sport a clear winner being the newer model? Would be grateful if one of the experts could point out any areas where Pajero SFX is better than Pajero Sport, or maybe list out the pros and cons of both.

I have been considering a pre-owned Pajero Sport for a while, but sometimes people suggest Pajero SFX as well. So any opinions / expert advice would help a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th July 2018, 10:22   #103
Senior - BHPian

Pajero Sport is a more modern car and carries forward the legacy of the Pajero Mk2 which is the Indian Pajero SFX. It still has the very capable 4x4 system that the SFX has and all the creature comforts that are usually the norm now. The only thing the Sport misses is the oodles of low end torque that the SFX has.

A slightly smaller engine than the SFX may not look to be a big issue but the low end torque really suffers. Dumping the clutch to get out of sticky situations is not an uncommon thing in the Sport.

Coming to the SFX, it drives like a car, feels indestructible and is super reliable and simple to maintain. No electronics till the BS 3 version except for SRS airbags makes this virtually bulletproof. The low end torque and virtual absence of turbo lag makes it a perfect vehicle for offloading. It is however not a highway scorcher and anything above 100 is a strain on the short gear ratios.

I own a SFX and would not consider the Sport simply because the SFX is more nimble, simple to maintain and a great offroader. The Sport is more of an urban SUV with performance more tuned to onroad rather than off-road.

Handling like I said is much more sharp and easy on the SFX, it never feels like you are driving a 2.5 ton vehicle. Sport on the other hand makes you conscious that you are driving a large bulky vehicle.

In my opinion your driving requirement should help you decide the vehicle. Go for the Sport is you will be mostly on paved roads and do frequent highway travel and like to drive fast. Go for the SFX if you have a mix highway and off road type of requirement.

It may however be difficult to get hands on a well maintained SFX. Production stopped in 2011 so its been 7 years now.
Traveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 19:35   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Pajero Sport is a more modern car and carries forward the legacy of the Pajero Mk2 which is the Indian Pajero SFX
Very well put there, Traveler.

To add my 2 cents - if you are used to the "modern" automobiles of today then the Pajero SFX (which is actually the second generation Pajero) will take you back at least a quarter of a century back in time, which is not surprising since it was launched in the international market way back in 1991! While production was stopped for international markets in 1999 - to make way for the third generation Pajero (which never made it to India, BTW) - it continued to sell here as Pajero GLX (and then later SFX) till 2012, being assembled from CKDs at Chennai. Here is an informative article on the Pajero lineage. So net-net, it is a 25+ year old design, but ageless none the less!

Given this, it is very difficult to convince oneself logically to go in for an SFX as opposed to the Pajero Sport. It is another of those "heart over head" decisions It is strongly recommended to take a "test drive" of an SFX (assuming a good Samaritan obliges you) before taking the plunge - in most cases, it is an instant decision after the first drive, either you'll fall madly in love with it, or instantly hate it

The Pajero Sport is leagues ahead in terms of "features" and looks/feels very much like a modern SUV, with a very competent engine. Given that it is a Mitsubishi, resale is typically low and you will get some very sweet deals on pre-owned ones. On the other hand, it is very hard to come by a well-maintained SFX at a reasonable price.

I would go with Traveler's recommendation - go for Sport if you are primarily into highway touring with a mix of off-road and SFX if it is the other way round. That said, the SFX will not disappoint you on highways unless you are a spirited driver and are used to cruising at speeds of 110-120 kph.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by cool_dube : 6th July 2018 at 19:37.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 22:24   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Pajero Sport is a more modern car and carries forward the legacy of the Pajero Mk2 which is the Indian Pajero SFX. It still has the very capable 4x4 system ...
It may however be difficult to get hands on a well maintained SFX. Production stopped in 2011 so its been 7 years now.
SPOT ON! No wonder I see the best dynamics and longevity for this machine!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks