Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2006, 01:45   #1
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Totally Confused What Car/SUV/MUV?

Have been planning for a bigger/better car for quite some time now. Considering that we have 3 tiny to small Marutis we need something more.

Before I start, I must tell you that this is not something we are going to buy in a couple of days, it could easily take up to couple of months.

The only limit is the $$$. The range is as wide as 4.5L to 8.5L.

Here even a swift is welcome!

Important Considerations:-
  • The car is mainly to be driven by my father or sometimes the driver. BUT I am going to get hold of it quite frequently.
  • Average daily running is about 40-60kms. With occasional highway runs.
  • Ride & Comfort is more of a preference than hardcore handling.
  • Performance- REQUIRED… though just to give you an idea, it is NEVER going to be redlined.

My preference would be the Baleno.

Though my father wants something different, as in not a regular looking car. He is more inclined towards the Scorpio or Innova.

Since it’s a family of 4, I don’t really see any place for Innova though Scorpio sounds better with the almost useless 3rd row seat.

The Lock Ups
I have my foot down against the Innova/ Tavera as I see it as a public carrier and it feels ridiculous when being driven by a single person most of the time.

My father is against buying any car which is not powerful enough (and I AGREE) i.e. anything below 80-85bhp… sounds like in the league of the Alto Vxi. .. So the ford Diesel goes out here, along with NHC!...

Fuel Economy is a concern … with 40-60kms per day it doesn’t make sense losing much on fuel…. So the Optra goes out here.
--------------------------------------------------
I am myself starting to fall for the New Scorpio with the new interiors and better seats. Is there any car/SUV I am missing, which is worth considering?

Or anything different other than a SUV (Scorpio)?
Now the Caveat --- If we are not confident/ clear of the decision …. Then maybe next time. As for now it’s going to be the Swift.

Thanks You

PS: I am not sure whether Safari is in our budget but anyways would not like to buy it now.

PS2: Scorpio is the current tentative preference.

PS3: This happens to be my 700th post

Last edited by SLK : 2nd April 2006 at 01:54.
Old 2nd April 2006, 07:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Have been planning for a bigger/better car for quite some time now. Considering that we have 3 tiny to small Marutis we need something more.

Before I start, I must tell you that this is not something we are going to buy in a couple of days, it could easily take up to couple of months.

The only limit is the $$$. The range is as wide as 4.5L to 8.5L.

Here even a swift is welcome!

Important Considerations:-
  • The car is mainly to be driven by my father or sometimes the driver. BUT I am going to get hold of it quite frequently.
  • Average daily running is about 40-60kms. With occasional highway runs.
  • Ride & Comfort is more of a preference than hardcore handling.
  • Performance- REQUIRED… though just to give you an idea, it is NEVER going to be redlined.

My preference would be the Baleno.

Though my father wants something different, as in not a regular looking car. He is more inclined towards the Scorpio or Innova.

Since it’s a family of 4, I don’t really see any place for Innova though Scorpio sounds better with the almost useless 3rd row seat.

The Lock Ups
I have my foot down against the Innova/ Tavera as I see it as a public carrier and it feels ridiculous when being driven by a single person most of the time.

My father is against buying any car which is not powerful enough (and I AGREE) i.e. anything below 80-85bhp… sounds like in the league of the Alto Vxi. .. So the ford Diesel goes out here, along with NHC!...

Fuel Economy is a concern … with 40-60kms per day it doesn’t make sense losing much on fuel…. So the Optra goes out here.
I am myself starting to fall for the New Scorpio with the new interiors and better seats. Is there any car/SUV I am missing, which is worth considering?

Or anything different other than a SUV (Scorpio)?
Now the Caveat --- If we are not confident/ clear of the decision …. Then maybe next time. As for now it’s going to be the Swift.

Thanks You

PS: I am not sure whether Safari is in our budget but anyways would not like to buy it now.

PS2: Scorpio is the current tentative preference.

PS3: This happens to be my 700th post
driving of 40-60(Lets take 50kms daily)= 1500 + long trip 500kms=2K
power atleast 85ps. lets take it as a requirement
preference of Ride comfort over handling

Diesel makes sense for you here and I think your heart says scorpio. Its the best VFM SUV. New updates make it more delicious but much is still lacking according to what the test drivers have said. still superb vehicle.

go for it
Old 2nd April 2006, 09:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

The scorpio seems the best bet for you now. If you can wait for a car you can see what hyundai offers with the verna(crdi)
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet Aveo will fit the bill perfectly.
Test drive both 1.4 & 1.6.
Old 2nd April 2006, 13:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio seems to be the ideal choice for your dilemma. If you want something smaller outside but roomier inside the Indigo Marina is also a good choice if you dont mind Station Wagons. It has everything you're looking for too, though I dont really see a person with his heart on the butch Scorpio settle for an Indigo Marina.
Old 2nd April 2006, 13:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if the Optra or the Elantra fit ur budget. Cuz they both are decent cars, and got the power, luxury and comfort.

I read somewhere the Elantra sumthing kinda fits ur budet..i think its the petrol version without ABD n all. Someone correct this if its wrong.
Old 2nd April 2006, 16:49   #7
BHPian

Hi All, I saw the new cheeky red bright and colourful vibrant Aveo 1.6 and I must say this car looks very good from outside as well as inside. I did not get a chance to test drive it however I came upon this web site where the Aveo was given a thumb down by the Euro NCAP on 3rd March 2006. This review says that - "the Chevy Aveo was singled out for unacceptably high risk of injury to the driver’s chest".

I would not risk buying a car which does not provides proper safety, though the higher end model does have ABS and Airbags etc. So why has this review mentioned so?

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/03/...rom-euro-ncap/

My current shortlisted cars are Aveo / Ford Fiesta / Honda City ZX / Maruti Swift (for long run).

Any suggestions as I want to put hard earned money to proper use?

I did single out Aveo but this European review on the web site has made me think again.
Old 2nd April 2006, 17:59   #8
BHPian

Even Skoda Octavia bear huge damages in collisions - http://www.vv.se/filer/11632/skoda_o...tor_011126.jpg

Safety is important isn't it? Or does the indian psychology still weighs FE and looks?

Check out more adverse results on the new Aveo on the web here -
http://www.google.com.sg/search?as_q...s=&safe=images

Take a Good look at this review on the new Aveo by EURONCAP. Makes you think doesn't it?
http://www.euroncap.com/images/resul...asheet%203.pdf

Surprisingly Swift (Suzuki) got 4 stars in EuroNCAP with Swift "suffering minimal deformation in the frontal impact and providing good protection for adults throughout."

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=6&id2=213

It appears that Maruti has done a proper homework with a world class product which has been receiving so many awards and even getting a clearance from EURONCAP. It will probably survive many future tests. I did not favour Swift due to its small car reputation but these reviews make you think, don't they? Also I think that Swift has many deficiencies at present like ordinary interiors, however I feel that Maruti will soon present its all new Swift with better features to keep the Indian market captivated with its world class product for many years to come. Maruti must have foreseen the competition they will have to face in the coming years due to globalisation in Indian Markets, so I feel that they have some tough plans for improved verions of Swift in the coming years. I think that they are well prepared. This is probably going to be another at least 5-7 years of success like the Maruti 800 and Esteems of the yester years.
Old 2nd April 2006, 18:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

used Octavia if u can live with repair/maint costs. Used OHC and an indica turbo with the spare change
Old 2nd April 2006, 19:34   #10
BHPian

i went to Agra from delhi in an Aveo.
fantastic car.

for you, it fits the bill perfectly.

it is very eager to eat those figures on milestones.
handling is very inspiring. feels very much planted to the road and doesnot wobbles and doesnot transfers any vibrations to your seat.

very spacious too. only thing which CAN BE a bit negative is hard rear suspension in slow city speeds. but on highway it inspires you to take on huge speeds.

Scorpio and innova for a single executive person is a big no-no!

and with such a decent budget why are you opting for a Swift?
and you rejected NHC for Swift? very strange, because ZXi with that VTEC is quite a performance machine with luxury and comfort thrown in as a bonus.
Old 2nd April 2006, 23:49   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
Ya I'd feel odd about Innova ... but not exactly Scorpio.. or Safari types...
any specific reason for saying that?

Quote:
and with such a decent budget why are you opting for a Swift?
and you rejected NHC for Swift? very strange, because ZXi with that VTEC is quite a performance machine with luxury and comfort thrown in as a bonus.
Its quite simple!... budget is flexible.... and if we consider a very need based car Swift is good for all our purposes.
About NHC... I find it unduely expensive... and VTEC might even be over the Budget. If Baleno is good enough... why pay extra... for that rear seat, bigger boot! and sorry looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
used Octavia if u can live with repair/maint costs.
Firstly not looking for a used car.... but hey octavia is an amazing car.... though again a person upgrading from Alto/WagonR can not live with those repair/maint costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
though I dont really see a person with his heart on the butch Scorpio settle for an Indigo Marina.
VERY TRUE... the whole Indica/Indigo range is a very tempting buy ... BUT then come to think of Scorpio & the likes.....

Currently it looks like the Scorpio... is going to be it.
Though the Baleno & the Aveo... or maybe even the new accent (provided it comes soon).... are not out of the race.

Thanks for your advise everybody... will keep you updated.
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Ya I'd feel odd about Innova ... but not exactly Scorpio.. or Safari types... any specific reason for saying that?
IMHO, if your dad is in civil engineering field (like site development,etc) then Scorpio kind of tough looking vehicles are okay.
but if your dad is in some executive position (like a CEO, etc), then Scorpio kind of MUV doesnot gels properly with the personality of such a man.

and you being a young gun (!), can manage in any vehicle.

for me, Scorpio and Innova looks better in a family when you are going out with your family and you are driving it yourself.
but for regular commuting, self-driven MUVs doesnot looks nice until they are being chauffeur-driven.

well, these are my personal opinions only.
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Just close your eyes and go for a Scorpio. The new one is a great value for money, very easy to drive in city.. and also for occasional highway trips.
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:28   #14
mxx
BHPian

Definetely not Baleno. its too outdated. buthave to admit it is a good car.

Swift is a good all rounder, with good Value for money and within your budget. I suggest swift, if u will consider a good hatch.

But if you want a bigger car, check out new scorpio. I havnt read reviews on new scorpio or driven it yet. So, i cant suggest it.
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech
Even Skoda Octavia bear huge damages in collisions - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/87819.jpg

Safety is important isn't it? Or does the indian psychology still weighs FE and looks?

Check out more adverse results on the new Aveo on the web here -
http://www.google.com.sg/search?as_q...s=&safe=images

Take a Good look at this review on the new Aveo by EURONCAP. Makes you think doesn't it?
http://www.euroncap.com/images/resul...asheet%203.pdf

Surprisingly Swift (Suzuki) got 4 stars in EuroNCAP with Swift "suffering minimal deformation in the frontal impact and providing good protection for adults throughout."

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=6&id2=213

It appears that Maruti has done a proper homework with a world class product which has been receiving so many awards and even getting a clearance from EURONCAP. It will probably survive many future tests. I did not favour Swift due to its small car reputation but these reviews make you think, don't they? Also I think that Swift has many deficiencies at present like ordinary interiors, however I feel that Maruti will soon present its all new Swift with better features to keep the Indian market captivated with its world class product for many years to come. Maruti must have foreseen the competition they will have to face in the coming years due to globalisation in Indian Markets, so I feel that they have some tough plans for improved verions of Swift in the coming years. I think that they are well prepared. This is probably going to be another at least 5-7 years of success like the Maruti 800 and Esteems of the yester years.
I think you are confusing a few things here... Remember a Euro specced car is very different from what you see here. If Aveo runs a risk of hurting the driver on the chest in frontal collisions let me tell you that most indian cars run wo Airbags... so if they were to be rated on the same parameters they would have probably been rated a zero. The point is do not fall for everything that you read about euro specs, unless you cna go the whole hog. Euro specs are much higher as are their minimal requirements. Most cars here (the same models as theirs but local variants) will never match up.

Talking about Swift... what is the connection with European Swift, its rating and the Maruti launched Swift? Maruti has not manufactured the Swift for european markets. In fact if the Indian variant were to be tested I wonder if it would have caused it to have lost a star! By the way not only in safety dept but the Indian Swift has a different spec even in the engine dept bro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks