Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MUV would you prefer?
Ertiga 141 32.94%
Innova 226 52.80%
Xylo 73 17.06%
Others please specify 14 3.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 00:44   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga vs Toyota Innova vs Mahindra Xylo

Kalinga now with the new Chevrolet Enjoy in the scene, you have yet another choice for buying an MUV.

It ia competitively priced and had good set of motors especially in diesel and would seat 7.

Would recommend trying it out before taking a decision.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:15   #152
Senior - BHPian

I think the Ertiga Petrol would be a very good choice. Make no mistake, the Ertiga has very flexible seating and the middle and front rows can be moved on rails, so it is easy to find a suitable position to accommodate most people comfortably

The Xylo is the vehicle to buy if you want spacious seating, there is nothing to beat it, even the last row is very usable, but you would be getting into the same Getz kind of situation, the Xylo is not a best-seller and might be difficult to dispose off later

Even the Quanto would fit your bill since the last row is usable, for short city rides it is fine sitting in the rear jump seats, its cheaper than the Xylo giving you most of the things that the Xylo gives except great comfort for 7 on a long journey

The Innova is severely overpriced, new and in the used market. Don't even look at the V models, stick to the G models of the Innova if you are considering one

Finally, in your position, I would go for the petrol Ertiga LXI, makes the most sense. Its definitely not like a car and not like an MPV either, its somewhere in between. The LXI gives you AC and Power steering, if you can live with roll down-up windows then perfect, otherwise you can get a power window kit installed later. Also the last row does not have head rests in the LXI so it would be easy to fold down and create luggage space in the city. Sit in the showroom for 5 minutes in all the seats of the car and envision yourself on a long drive, I did that and it changed the perception I had of the Ertiga

With the way Petrol and Diesel prices are fluctuating, the market is slowly moving towards Petrol for personal use and Diesel for commercial use. The car is going to be with you for a few years, so think of the future and make your decision

All the best, you are a very informed person and reading your posts I am sure you will make a rational decision. Whatever you buy in the end will be the best for you :-)

I was in the same situation as you are in 5 years back. The Xylo was about to be launched and there was no Ertiga, the Innova was not as famous as it is now. I told myself, I'm going to buy a used vehicle with the money set aside for down-payment, and save up the EMI money to be used a maintenance. I was having a budget of 2 lakhs down-payment and 5,000 a month for EMI, I picked a Safari, and have not regretted since, bought the Safari for 2 lakhs and spend 5,000 approximately a month on it all inclusive - fuel included! If I am tight on vitamin M, I park it and don't have to worry about missing my EMI or collection agents!

The only trick I used is, I made friends with a mechanic in a TASS, struck a deal with him, told him that I will bring a few Safaris which I propose to buy for him to evaluate and then once purchased, I would have it serviced at his TASS only. It worked, I took 3 Safaris to him, from various dealers, the last one he approved and I bought

Even I am in a dilemma now since the Safari is coming up to 15 years, I am unable to decide if I should refurbish it completely to last me another 5 years or if I should let it go. Right now, its heading in the refurbish direction since I have fallen in love with the vehicle and it has not a single bit of rust on it, engine has never been opened its run 113000 kilometres and the four-wheel drive works! But to be honest, If the Company hike is good and the temptation of what is available in the market is huge, then I might go for a divorce with the Safari ;-)

Thanks for reading, the point I was trying to make all along is, you know yourself best and its your funeral in the end (sorry for using that word, but could not find an alternative) so go get the best deal you can for yourself. Remember, the power is with you till you sign on the dotted line, once you have signed, then you would have to live with whatever you have

Last edited by TheARUN : 21st June 2013 at 06:29. Reason: Adding to the post
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 12:15   #153
BHPian

Re: Used Innova 2.5 V or Brand New XYLO H4 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Hello All,

Preferably a diesel. I need expert advice to decide between the Used Innova 2.5 V or Brand New XYLO H4 ABS.

My Usage :

 city driving would be 600 kms a month.
 Monthly twice, Expressway drive to Mumbai. (Total 400)
 Yearly drive to my home town in ODISHA (total 3500 Km) (will do it every year)
 Powerful Engine with excellent torque
 Should be comfortable.
 Excellent AC
 Fun/Easy to drive - I am the only driver.
 Long term reliability
 Maintenance cost.
 Acceptable Ride and Handling
 What type of maintenance I can expect from an old Innova?
 How costlier is to maintain an old Innova?
 Is the Innova reliable after this long mileage?

I need expert advice here. If I will buy a New Xylo then it will come with company warranty so no need to worry for first 1-2 year.

Please feel free to add other choices too if you find it would suit me.
Regards
KALINGA
Hi there ,

My father had an indica DLS for nearly 5 years and we drove it for 2.5L Kms . we had maintained it pretty well . We sold it for a brand new innova GX which we bought last year . So far we have clocked 35 thousand Kms on it and believe me its a very nice car .

On the plus side

1. Its very very comfortable , both for passengers and driver . I recommend the captain seats . My dad loves the captain seats when we go out on long drives .

2. Very reliable engine , ask any taxi driver and he would vouch for it . Innova has an engine life of atleast 4-5 lakhs kms (depends on how you maintain it )

3. AC is good , it has AC in all 3 rows .

4. yes, its easy to drive .

5. Easy handling , more than acceptable ride taking into consideration that you are not a very fast driver , innova can cruise all day long at 120kmph without much strain.

6. Periodic oil change , regular service should suffice .

7. Very safe car , has good build quality , 2012 model GX comes with one airbag and ABS . My father and my uncle met with an accident a couple of years ago in my uncle's old innova V , and came out alive unscratched .

8. Yes , service network is indeed good . In the above mentioned accident ,my father called the nearest toyota showroom after they met with the accident , which was 250 kms away , the showroom guys promptly showed up and took care of everything without any fuss .

On the minus side

1. Not the most powerful car in the segment

2. Not what I can call fun to drive. So do not try to corner it .

3. Spares are pretty expensive , had a minor accident once and had to shell out nearly 30k to replace the front bumper , headlight mounts and stuff. Thanks to insurance .

4. Speaking of insurance , it costs around 30K every year.

5. Before buying a used diesel car , please check for the service history completely . I would not buy a diesel car with more than 50k on the ODO. After 50k to 80k on the ODO , you will have to replace most of the spares likes belts , cables , fluids , filters and tyre.

6. Like a few people here said , it comes with a taxi image , so what ? As long as you get a reliable and a safe car for your family .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Ertiga is quite cramped compared to innova / xylo and not as powerful or torquey .

-I have not seen Chevy Enjoy in flesh , so I do not want to comment on its space or other parameters
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My vote goes for Innova , I wish you could buy a new one and enjoy it without any troubles . Although , a new xylo is a good idea , do not expect it to be as comfortable as innova , just my personal opinion .

Good luck. Happy hunting .

Last edited by girimajiananth : 21st June 2013 at 12:21.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:02   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I want to replace my 5.2 year old Hyundai Getz Prime (60,000 KM in ODO) with a safer & Bigger car.
Preferably a diesel. I need expert advice to decide between the Used Innova 2.5 V or Brand New XYLO H4 ABS.

My Usage :

 city driving would be 600 kms a month.
 Monthly twice, Expressway drive to Mumbai. (Total 400)
 Yearly drive to my home town in ODISHA (total 3500 Km) (will do it every year)

Regards
KALINGA
Looking at your annual usage pattern I will steer clear of a Xylo. Annually, your yearly highway:city split is almost 50:50. With the few times I have got to experience a Xylo, I absolutely hate it on the highway. It is just too softly sprung. True, its is very very spacious in all rows. But if you ask me, all that space only means more room for you to bounce around in. The Xylo feels more like a boat than a car on the highways.

My preference in your situation will be in the following order.

1. Ertiga VDi
2. Safari LX
3. Pre-worshipped Innova

I put the Safari LX in there because, it will be a great companion on the Pune-Odisha annual ride. But take care to remember that it has side-facing rear seats, if that is a deal breaker for you then leave the Safari out.

You can also save a bit of money and go in for a Ertiga ZXi.
julupani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:14   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Looking at your annual usage pattern I will steer clear of a Xylo. Annually, your yearly highway:city split is almost 50:50. With the few times I have got to experience a Xylo, I absolutely hate it on the highway. It is just too softly sprung. True, its is very very spacious in all rows. But if you ask me, all that space only means more room for you to bounce around in. The Xylo feels more like a boat than a car on the highways.

My preference in your situation will be in the following order.

1. Ertiga VDi
2. Safari LX
3. Pre-worshipped Innova

I put the Safari LX in there because, it will be a great companion on the Pune-Odisha annual ride. But take care to remember that it has side-facing rear seats, if that is a deal breaker for you then leave the Safari out.

You can also save a bit of money and go in for a Ertiga ZXi.
Thank you very much Julu Bhai for you kind words.

Yes...I am also not sure about Xylo. Move it out of my list.

As i may not use 3rd row seat always.
Now I am considering the below:

1) I20 Diesel Asta
2) Ertiga VDi / Zxi
3) Dizer ZDi
4) Tata Safari Dicor LX.

And yes, 70% of time the third row seat will not use. So I am considering the above.

All above are almost in my budget. Except safari.
Currently i am negotiating for a Safari LX 2012 model. Expecting a good discount.

O.T : Any one have information of current discount going on for Safari Dicor (2012 & 2013 model)
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:41   #156
Senior - BHPian

Negotiate hard, you should be able to pull off the Safari for under 9 lakhs. I enquired a few months back and that was the discount available, also if you trade-in your Getz, that will get you some more money from the Tata Dealer, they give a 50,000 minimum exchange bonus which is above the value of your old car, just watch out, most of them buy your old car for 50,000 less and then say that you got an exchange bonus.

The Safari in its present form has reached perfection, I'm not talking about the Storme, it has been tried and tested and has almost all its niggles sorted out. Among all its iterations, this is the best Safari you can buy.
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 18:02   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am considering the below:

1) I20 Diesel Asta
2) Ertiga VDi / Zxi
3) Dizer ZDi
4) Tata Safari Dicor LX.
Sorry to pile on your choice misery, but now that you are considering hatchbacks and sedans, I think the following two choices are well worth taking a look at.

1. Fiat Punto 90hp
2. Fiat Linea Tjet Active/Dynamic variant.

These two are probably the best highway cars out there and both are squarely within your budget. So I would suggest you to take a TD in these, and you may end up falling in love with them.
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:08   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Negotiate hard, you should be able to pull off the Safari for under 9 lakhs. I enquired a few months back and that was the discount available, also if you trade-in your Getz, that will get you some more money from the Tata Dealer, they give a 50,000 minimum exchange bonus which is above the value of your old car, just watch out, most of them buy your old car for 50,000 less and then say that you got an exchange bonus.

The Safari in its present form has reached perfection, I'm not talking about the Storme, it has been tried and tested and has almost all its niggles sorted out. Among all its iterations, this is the best Safari you can buy.
Thank you very much Arun sir.
Yes ,i am expecting to bring down the OTR of 2012 Dicor LX to around 8.5 lac (Is this a better price?).
I have talked to only one dealer as of now.
Need to discuss other dealers too.
Old 31st October 2013, 13:26   #159
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga - queries

Troops,

After a reasonable research, I am tending towards replacing my 12 yr old faithful - Santro with Maruti Ertiga! Want your opinions, before I make the call.

Read the review & ownership reports in detailed, and big thank you once again to all the folks who have contributed.
I have some queries which may sound unusual. Probably sound cocky as well. Trust me - some of the below items are too important to me.

First part is generic to all MSIL products - basically moving from Non-Maruti to Maruti. To add - for someone who has never owned a Maruti and driven very very less. I am obsessed with fit and finish - I think my 2007 NHC GXi is built to perfection. I dont like the ANHC interiors and always felt let down. Infact, i really like i20 for its interiors. How I wish Hyundai had a mini-van or compact van today

Priorities:
- Niggling issues are a strict NO. No rattles or any sound other than music in the cabin. Needless to mention, no moving parts either.
- Dont mind paying a bit higher price for the car to be maintained better - but it has to be 100% reliable & comfortable & min 4 stars for Satefy ratings if not 5 stars.
- Fuel efficiency is not of utmost importance either.

How does Ertiga suit me here? Daily commute wouldnt be more than 30-40 kms and so I might be considering the petrol (ZXi variant) though I am open to ZDi as well if its a better option.

I dont intend to sell the car in next few years (min 5, maybe 10 as well - till I have confidence it will not let me down). As I mentioned, I will maintain it as well as she could be.

PS: I am open to any after market modifications assuming they dont bite my pocket a lot to improve the fit/finish.

Thank you in advance.. I need a 7 seater as my extended family is also in BLR.
Innova is ideal but too cumbersome (and way overpriced as well - value matters to me as much as anyone else in the country)
Old 31st October 2013, 13:34   #160
BHPian

Re: Ertiga - queries

After going through your list of priorities , I would say- an innova matches it more than an ertiga.

Rattles- MARUTI cars are prone to rattles. Innova will be better here.
Reliability- it's a tie between the two
Fuel efficiency- ertiga scores here when compared to innova.
streetracer_919 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 13:53   #161
BHPian

My close relative has an Ertiga VDi; done 10,000kms; out of which I have logged around 2000 kms. Let me try to be of help to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Niggling issues are a strict NO. No rattles or any sound other than music in the cabin. Needless to mention, no moving parts either.
Our Ertiga has not had any such issues so far.

Quote:

- Dont mind paying a bit higher price for the car to be maintained better - but it has to be 100% reliable & comfortable & min 4 stars for Satefy ratings if not 5 stars.
Reliable and comfortable it is, as for the safety ratings, am sure the salesman or google will provide you with it.

Quote:
- Fuel efficiency is not of utmost importance.
Yes, but it does not hurt either, does it? Our Ertiga consistently delivers 18+ kmpl.

Quote:

How does Ertiga suit me here? Daily commute wouldnt be more than 30-40 kms and so I might be considering the petrol (ZXi variant) though I am open to ZDi as well if its a better option.
Ertiga is one of the few cars where the petrol sales outperform the diesels. Would advice you to get test drives of both and decide which suits you better.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 14:00   #162
BHPian

Almost all Marutis rattle a lot. Never seen an A-star rattle though.
If the rattles are minor you might ignore them but if they keep increasing over the years you might get irritated.

The Ertiga might give slightly better FE than the Innova, I'm talking about diesel here.
My cousin's Ertiga VXi gives around 10-12 kmpl.

Both the Innova and Ertiga will be equally reliable if you maintain them properly (that you mentioned that you will do it)

Take a couple of longish test drives and decide. If you drive the Innova alone to office you might feel you're lugging around such a big car.

Ertiga ZXi costs around 7.9 L, ZDi- 9.2 L, Innova VX BS4 7 seater around 14.4L ex-Bangalore.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 15:07   #163
BHPian

We've owned quite a few Marutis over the last few years and while I do agree that the previous generation cars were prone to rattles over time, the new generation is vastly different. We owned an A Star for 3 years and 30,000 kms (sold last week to make way for a Wagon R). We drove it to Darjeeling, Gangtok and Kalimpong over NH 34 last summer (one of the worst National Highways in India) and there was nary a rattle from the car after that journey. In fact no rattles till the very end. Recently, during the Puja Holidays we drove from Calcutta to Bhutan and back (7 of us, 4 adults & 3 kids) in a 9 month old 9,000 km driven Ertiga. No rattles so far either. So, I guess it's for the new gen Marutis.
Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 20:15   #164
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys - decision is near-made to go with Ertiga!

Will take a test drive before the final conclusion on ZXi or ZDi. Not sure of the waiting period though!
Old 31st October 2013, 22:18   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys - decision is near-made to go with Ertiga!

Will take a test drive before the final conclusion on ZXi or ZDi. Not sure of the waiting period though!
I was on the same boat 3-4 months back.
I choose Ertiga Zxi over VDi. I found ZXi is excellent VFM against ZDi.

Now i am a happy owner of Ertiga ZXi with 4500 KM in ODO now.
Drove almost all types of road except muddy road. I never feel i am driving an MUV. Power is excellent with AC on.

If your considering Ertiga and your usage is not high then consider ZXi (ABS / Air Bag / Driver height adjustable seat and lots of use full feature), you will never regret.

Edit:- For your reference my ownership thread is here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rtiga-zxi.html
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks