Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MUV would you prefer?
Ertiga 141 32.94%
Innova 226 52.80%
Xylo 73 17.06%
Others please specify 14 3.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 15:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga vs Toyota Innova vs Mahindra Xylo

I would like to see the sumo CR4 and the new sumo grande in the list of contenders.But on a broader perspective ertiga should be left alone in a seperate market and should not be linked to proper SUVs.
ram
Old 16th April 2012, 15:08   #17
BHPian

I own a Xylo and when I was in the market for a 7+seater, the Innova lost out due to the price point.

Now I haven't sat in the rear seat of the Xylo - but I have made extensive 600+ km trips in it with 5-6 people and it has behaved very admirably. Granted the Innova will give me a better ride but the Xylo, well, has given me no cause for complaint.

I also got the roof carrier installed and it has not played into any adverse driving impact. Spacing underneath the seats is good and you just need to pack the right bags to use the space. Case in point, in the 2+ years of ownership - I've used the overhead carrier just 3 times!

I am also using the Xylo for the daily commute and it is very easy to drive with surprisingly good manoeuvrability. Remember the ad "age of sedans is over"?

With Ertiga, comparing with Innova is pushing it. The Xylo is a better comparision and if it is people moving capability Xylo wins hands down. Looks are subjective and it is the insides that really matter. For an occassional trip with 5+ PAX and as a city commuter the Ertiga is a good bet.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to seating, Xylo takes the cake, 3rd row a 6footer will be comfortable and i felt almost all SUVs are easy to drive, after having driving all the SUV/UV in 10lac bracket, i felt it was much easier to drive when compared to sedans.

I felt Sumo was the best in the lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I own a Xylo and when I was in the market for a 7+seater, the Innova lost out due to the price point.

Old 16th April 2012, 15:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Reading your post gives me an impression that you are already sold on the Ertiga. Your requirements also basically fit around it. A sedan like car, occasional use for 5 adults and kids, less than 10L OTR for a diesel.. It has Ertiga written all over it.
Speaking on behalf of my BIL, yes was really waiting for the Ertiga before taking a decision. Why Ertiga - because it is the newest kid on the block, why not - because it is still not tried, used, tested in a practical situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay View Post
I too am in a similar position Petrol Ertiga Vs Xylo;

What confuses me completely is the fact that we have one of the best ever Maruti workshops around and that makes the Maruti purchase more tempting.
Exactly a lot of people out there who have at least more than 4 adults plus kids in the house might be facing the same situation where they travel in 2 cars instead of going together to the same destination. Also Ertiga being of course a Maruti is a big plus anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
To me, Ertiga is a better choice. If the kids are 3-4 years old, I think that's the one to look for.
Xylo - I have sat in 3rd row for abt 80 odd kms drive and I fould it (much) better than Innova's last row. Innova, my ankles and thighs started hurting in about 20 odd kms.
Have personally loved the Innova 1 and 2 row but faced fatigue in the last row. Have not sat much in a Xylo let alone the last row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post

In an Ertiga, you would end up seating 2 adults in the front row, 2 adults + 1 child in the middle row, and 1 adult + 1 child in the last row, to be comfortable during the longer runs. That would make it 5 adults + 2 children.
Speaking of this family it may be max 5 adults and 3 children but on most ocassions it would be 4 adults and 2 small kids aged between 3-10. All the adult members are of average build who fit 3 in rear seat of any big hatch easily (just for reference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Girish, take a test drive of Sumo CR4, at about 8lacs(GX), this vehicle is practical and VFM.
Have seen the Sumo Golds recently and they look neat and refined. Unfortunately it is the image that does not go with it as a family vehicle any more.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:34   #20
BHPian

For ~ 10.5 lakhs you can get Xylo E8 with airbags and ABS. If space is the main criterion with the children being more than 4-6 years, then its Xylo for sure. But I am wondering if your budget is ~ 10 lakhs, why not a scorpio, its a tried and tested vehicle should fit the bill perfectly.

Though within your shortlist, if the children are small, look at Ertiga else the Xylo. Innova with this budget will be too bare.

Would still suggest you to check Scorpio once.

Last edited by Shreyas Aterkar : 16th April 2012 at 15:35. Reason: correction in spelling
Old 16th April 2012, 16:33   #21
BHPian

Just came back seeing Eritga in the showroom. Went with high hopes but came back a little disappointed. I just had a look but did not test drive. The main let down for me is the space. Forget about the third row, people will not be comfortable even in the 2nd row. The vehicle looked very small to me from inside and this is definitely not the car for driver + 4 adults + 3 kids.

I have hired XYLOs in the past and if you are looking at space for all then this is the vehicle to go for within the left side of 10L budget.
Old 16th April 2012, 16:33   #22
BHPian

A little OT - A colleague bought a Ritz over the weekend and he was keen on the Ertiga. But there is a quoted 8 month waiting list for the diesel variant.

I am not sure what is the waiting time if any on the Innova - but prospective customers will surely be put off with the waiting time.
Old 16th April 2012, 16:59   #23
Team-BHP Support

My suggestion for this requirement would be perhaps a lower end of the innova. I think space and comfort should be paramount consideration and given that you have total 8 occupants on a reasonably frequent basis, I think you're best of with an innova.

Whilst I do believe the ertiga is an excellent product, I feel it may be on the smaller side for "your specific requirements". With the innova I believe you get more interior room, very low cost of ownership (i wouldn't be surprised if it is cheaper to maintain than an Ertiga), reliability and comfort.

While the Xylo is the most spacious and at a great price with a super engine, the ride quality is absolutely rubbish - to me it is a deal breaker when I'm looking at an MPV.

I frequently hire an innova when I'm traveling to other cities. Ive actually told them not to send me a Xylo if they don't have innova (which they sometimes do depending on availability). Send a swift desire instead. I'm THAT allergic to its ride quality.
Old 16th April 2012, 17:02   #24
BHPian

Xylo, because the OP already has a hatch and therefore the ease of use the Ertiga would enjoy in being used for city run-about vis-a-vis a big MUV gets negated. With a hatch already in the family, a full sized MUV would make more sense.
Old 16th April 2012, 20:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I was not a great fan of Xylo, but Maruti has made me to like it.
Of these three, I would suggest a Xylo but Personally If I were to buy one MUV with 10lac budget, I would not mind going for the base variant of innova.

Xylo will give me a 2.2ltr engine with the best cabin space and decent quality for around the same cost.
innova will give me a 2.5 ltr engine with a good cabin space and lot better quality even if its a base variant
Ertiga with a small 1.3ltr engine, poorer cabin space and decent quality will not get me into buying one.

These are my personal opinions and choices...All the best with yours.
Old 16th April 2012, 20:18   #26
BHPian

Xylo is the way to go with your budget that you are looking at.

Ertiga is for the owner of a small car like alto who wants to upgrade to a bigger hatch or a 7 seater.

Agreed that Ertiga will drive like a hatch and will be fun to drive in city, but for space requirements and with full load of people, I am not sure what will be the performance.

My vote goes to Xylo. Other options not mentioned are - Safari and Scorpio try these too.
Old 16th April 2012, 21:29   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you need an MUV, buy a proper MUV that can actually seat 7. If money is no issue, the Innova is the best the market has to offer. Whatever premium it commands is well-justified in its well-sorted product, road manners, reliability, resale value & all-roundedness.

On the other hand, the Xylo is pure value for money. The most spacious, nice engine and the facelift has definitely improved over the original offering. Although, it might be added, the new Xylo is far from perfect (still got the wallowy, soft suspension).

The Ertiga : With the 3rd row folded down, the 2nd row is very cramped. And if the 3rd row seat is in place, it's best for kids only.

I suggest test-driving all three for the longest possible duration before zero'ing in on the final choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
however the Innova is the most spacious of them all.
Nope. The most spacious is the Xylo.
Old 16th April 2012, 21:34   #28
BHPian

My vote goes for Xylo.

- Innova base version lacks the safety features. A private owned top-end Innova could fit the bill if there are any examples up for sale.
- You already own a Vista which offers better rear seat space than Ertiga's 2nd row.
- Xylo has most comfortable ride quality below 80 kmph and bouncy at 100+. Works if your family does not like the needle above 100 (my folks don't, even on the XUV).
- New Xylo front end looks so much more acceptable now. I would discount the Taxi image factor because going forward, Ertiga commercial use sales are definitely going to eclipse Xylo/Innova commercial sales.
- Get better road presence with Xylo - enhances the safety factor as trucks do not ignore you as much.

You must walk into each showroom though. In M&M, pretend having booked the Ertiga, look interested in Xylo E6 and upgrade to E8/E9 if they can offer a really good discount.
mkumar79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 21:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Innova. Actually it's a close fight between the Xylo and Innova.

But... I have sat in a Xylo for a non stop 5½ hour journey from Nagpur to Kanha and the comfort and A/C was just amazing. Never expected that level of comfort from a Mahindra.

The mind says Xylo because it is VFM and also quite comfortable too. However the heart says Innova because; after all it is a Toyota.

Maruti Ertiga, looks good too, but if I were you, I would wait for the official road test (from team-bhp ) before choosing it.

I can't say for sure which vehicle. Just listen to your inner voice and go with it. Either cars are a good choice, each one in its own way. Are you considering waiting for the Nissan Evalia (NV200) ?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 22:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
... I would discount the Taxi image factor because going forward, Ertiga commercial use sales are definitely going to eclipse Xylo/Innova commercial sales.
You said it! The other day, lunch time conversation was around how the Ertiga could end up being a cab. The capacity to carry upto 7 and for short distances could be a good enough reason. Add the MSIL reliability and availability of cheap spares and it's food for thought.

Time will tell though...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks