Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which MUV would you prefer?
Ertiga 141 32.94%
Innova 226 52.80%
Xylo 73 17.06%
Others please specify 14 3.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:19   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga vs Toyota Innova vs Mahindra Xylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
My Innova's service bills:

90000 kms service bill : Rs. 13927/-

95000 kms service bill : Rs. 10544/- (This includes a failed starter motor which had to be replaced for Rs. 7000, which is not exactly cheap.) The remaining 3000 bucks was the service charges, which would have been more if I had not insisted that oil change is not required.

My car has a sedimenter light issues, the A.S.S. quoted 40k to repair it!

The Airbag malfunction light started glowing. An airbag cable costs Rs. 9500/-.

The panels are so flimsy that even a small flying stone makes a big dent & repairing that costs 18k...

Car starts belching black smoke, to curb that, we need to spend 8k! This happens every 15k kms on the odo.

With my experience with the car, I wont say the Innova is economical to maintain. On the argument that how do taxi owners prefer the Innova... does any taxi owner take their Innovas to the Toyota A.S.S.?

I have jotted down whatever I could remember... I do not feel that maintaining an Innova is cheap.

So, I would rate the Mahindra & Maruti to be better on this aspect. Please note I am talking about maintainence costs and not the reliability of the vehicle.
This is unfortunate that your service charges are so high. I have a very different expereince. In the last 40 k kms I have only paid for

A. Oil change every 10k kms
B. One fused light bulb

I would say the total expenses are around INR 10k including oil changes over the last 2.5 years of ownership. It would be even lower but for the 6.5 litres of oil required per oil change.

On the taxi guys using Toyota - well, I have not found even even taxi guy that DO NOT service their Innova in the service centre. Maybe some of the standalone transport operators still do but most of my cabs have been hired from the organised sector.
All of them vouch for the economy in maintaining the vehicle! So my experience is not a flash in the pan.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 23rd April 2012 at 17:22.
Old 24th April 2012, 15:14   #62
BHPian

I had a TD of the ertiga on day 2 of the launch. The fit and finish is pretty decent. But the build didnt seem good enough. the panels appeared very light weight and maybe not as high strenth as maruti would want us to believe. the brand new TD vehicle made creaking sounds ..the types that creep in vehicles with inferior grade of material used ( old gen tata indica or the new toyota etios / liva ). The ride too was nothing to write about. the vehicle build appeared very flimsy during the ride. anyone who has done some time in the new k series wagon r would know what i mean.
the NVH levels of the ddis were wonderfully low though. the innovas / xylos would not come remotely close. But all 3 engines of xylo and innova have more linear power delivery than the quadrajet.
The much publicized turbo lag is felt here acutely much like the manza quadrajet 90.
the controls are typically light like maruti, the ergonomy very nice.
The interior feels bright and airy except the bump in the floor when the mid row is lid back and the carpet is exposed. the mid row mid seat is fit for only a child. the rear seat is surprisingly comfortable and has decent leg and head room. getting there for a 6 ft person is a bit tedious though.
i would rate the ertiga as a genuinely comfortable seating wise for 4 people only. with the poor overall width and add capable last seat for 2 good mid size folks. you can keep ur luggage on your laps
It just doesnt have the space of xylo it doesnt have the plushness of ride of either. nor the finesse of innova. If it feels more like a car it is because its only a car or a station wagon cleverly packaged to fit 6/7.
IMHO it just doesnt have the build to last as its competitors though the efficient engine will mean great savings over time and is probably capable of outlasting the body easily.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 24th April 2012 at 15:20.
HIGHNOON is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:33   #63
BHPian

If price was not an issue, Innova for sure.
Ertiga - I'm not sure of its '7-seater' capabilities. We shouldn't forget that kids grow up fast!

So I vote for the Xylo.
Old 25th April 2012, 09:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Spacing underneath the seats is good and you just need to pack the right bags to use the space. Case in point, in the 2+ years of ownership - I've used the overhead carrier just 3 times!

+ 1 to this.

I have carried 7 passengers, each having an airbag, for a 5 day vacation twice, and never carried anything on the roof. There is space below each seat of the Xylo for airbags (apart from the boot, which can carry two to three bigger airbags or a couple of small suitcases).

The above feature clinched it for me for the Xylo.

Carrying luggage on the roof is very inconvenient, since you would have to keep an eye on the vehicle during lunch stops, unload and re load the luggage if you have taken a night's halt, worry about the rains, aerodynamics, safety, unless you have fitted a completely enclosed carrier, which would still make the vehicle top heavy anyway.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Had a TD over the weekend of the diesel and it pretty much reflects what others have spoken about. The power was adequate for the purpose and definitely felt like a city vehicle with ocassional highway run. The other thing that really made us think was whether the weekend family runabouts do really require a diesel. With the base petrol available at close to a mouthwatering 7 lakhs and given the gem of an engine, would it not be a good buy afterall? Now some things to ponder over-
  1. Would base petrol be good enough considering the vehicle would be run over 80% in the city, over the weekends, for a max round trip of 50kms a day and the ocassional out of city run of around 100kms. The point is that the maximum time spent in the vehicle would not be more than 1.5 hrs hence the requirement for other creature comforts (except a/c)
  2. The fuel efficiency of petrol on actual driving conditions considering this mill is a brand new one and a first on this vehicle, hence there is no track record of its actual FE (ARAI fuel efficiency ratings : 16.02 kpl (petrol) and 20.77 kpl (diesel)). So any first hand experience of the petrol is welcome
  3. Considering all these factors is the base petrol Lxi enough or the Vxi would be the best bet or the Ldi which would be on par with the Zxi. So is it Lxi Vs Vxi Vs Ldi keeping in mind all these variants around the mouthwatering price point of around 8 lakhs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
have you not considered the TATA Sumo Grande?

test drive it before shooting it down. i agree it won't have great interior fit and finish - but what it has is acres and acres of space.
engine is quiet smooth - and the ride has improved a lot as compared to the victa.
Again even though the Grande may be a much improved vehicle, it still does not pass as a family MUV / personal transport. Besides it is quite a large vehicle in terms of dimensions which may not be required for this purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A flat statement from me - the Ertiga is better than the Xylo for city + occasional highway use.
However, the last 2 seats are only for kids - no adult can squeeze in there - I certainly couldnt! The last row is best left folded down and used for luggage.
Yeah the kids loved every bit of the exercise of jumping into the rear seats (last row) as if it was some kind of class room drill. However it was quite a job for the big ones. The last row could easily accomodate the 3 kids in the house ( 1 - 10 year old, 2 kids - between 3-5 years). Considering the future it could easily accomodate for at least 5 more years down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
I had a TD of the ertiga on day 2 of the launch. The fit and finish is pretty decent. But the build didnt seem good enough. the panels appeared very light weight and maybe not as high strenth as maruti would want us to believe. the brand new TD vehicle made creaking sounds ..the types that creep in vehicles with inferior grade of material used ( old gen tata indica or the new toyota etios / liva ). The ride too was nothing to write about. the vehicle build appeared very flimsy during the ride. anyone who has done some time in the new k series wagon r would know what i mean.
The build quality looks average but on decent city roads it might as well hold up for some years though the rattles will eventually creep up after some thousands of miles. The metal did feel tinny but at least better than the indicas v2/ liva / wagon r which are the extremes in this front.
Old 20th June 2012, 02:01   #66
BHPian

Help me decide a car under 15 L

Hi
I am too much confused to make a wise decision. Actually we are planning to sell off our NHC (55k ODO in 4 years). Our requirements are follows -
1) Need the car for highway running since have i10 for city use.
2) Great to drive since 75% running would be self driven
3) Rear seat comfort must be decent for long journeys
4) Good ride quality on bad roads
5) Occasional 7/8 seater or 5-seater + Good Boot space.
6) Love to have an AUTO transmission
7) Effecient AC
8) Comfortable budget is 12-13Lac on-road but can be extended with heavy heart to 15L max.

Considered following so far-
1) XUV 5OO - No boot space after utilising 7 seats, Liked biege interior but available only in black & white which i don't liked on XUV. Also to an extent white is acceptable but not available on the base variant. Reluctant to buy the top variant due perception of more niggles in W8 than W6 variant (Electronics and all).
On-road price - W6 - 13.30 L, W8 - 14.9L

2) Innova - Good on space and comfort. No space for luggage after 7 seats but better than XUV. 3rd row slightly better than XUV. Zero driving pleasure. Excellent resale value. But no novelty factor, typical MUVish look. Heart somehow don't go to put 13-15L on this dated vehicle.
On-road price - G - 13.25L , VX - 15.20 L

3) Ertiga - About same space as in XUV. Decent drivability. Superb mileage on diesel. Decent interior. Why put 6 L more for XUV to get same space? Yes loads of features are there in XUV but is it really worth putting 6L on it. Confused.
On Road price - Zdi - 9 L

When discussing with my Brother-in-law who is also planning to buy XUV, his point of view is that every 7 seater has uncomfortable 3rd row and practically you won't travel out of city with 6 or 7 people without luggage. Either use carrier or use as 5 people+luggage. You will need 7 people commute twice or thrice in a year than why buy Innova or any MUV? XUV may be considered not for its 7 seating but for your love/liking of a SUV.

I then said it's true to an extent then why not also consider what options we have in sedans in this range-
1) Verna - Non comfortable rear seat. Atleast 5 people should seat comfortably as in NHC. comments welcome.
2) Skoda Rapid - Good & Comfortable drive. Overall everything is ok - boot space, interior, mileage, AC, novelty factor, road presence, build quality but rear seat comfort due to bump is a turn-off.
3) Fiesta - Expensive and rear seat comfort + Ford A.S.S.
4) Linea - Outdated to an extent + Tata/Fiat A.S.S.
5) Manza - Average driving pleasure. Selling Honda for Tata doesn't goes well. Only makes sense if i was damn keen on getting diesel.
6) Cruze - Rear seat good for 4 only.
7) Kindly suggest other options i missed.

I am heavily confused - should i overspend and get XUV or Should i digest it with Ertiga or should i leave the quest for 7-seater and get a sedan again but in sedan which one? seems no sedan fulfills all the requirement except buying Honda City again :( or else wait for few new launches - but i dont see any exciting launches this year in Sedan and SUV category - Din't like the looks of Duster and won't buy Renault at this stage, Ford Ecosport will be launch in 2013 i think?

Guys help me with your views. May be i can clean my mind a bit with your valuable comments/suggestions.

Last edited by superbhikari : 20th June 2012 at 02:07. Reason: Missed some point
Old 20th June 2012, 04:56   #67
BHPian

Hi buddy, you seem to be going through a crisis here. Each car has it's traits, pros and cons, all we can do is advise you on that but you seriously need to decide what your need and requirement is.
If you want 5 adults to sit comfortably for a long drive and have good luggage space then just eliminate all the compact sedans. They are all good for 4.
For 5 adults to sit with élan you need width to seat 3 in the third row and the xylo and innova are the only cars (MUV's) which have width on offer.
If you have a hatch for the city then go for a big comfy MUV which is better suited for the highways. The Ertiga (in my humble opinion) is more of a go between. As in if you just have one car and not 2 then it serves the best of both worlds with it's compact dimensions and maximised space.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:36   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Hi buddy, you seem to be going through a crisis here. Each car has it's traits, pros and cons, all we can do is advise you on that but you seriously need to decide what your need and requirement is.
If you want 5 adults to sit comfortably for a long drive and have good luggage space then just eliminate all the compact sedans. They are all good for 4.
For 5 adults to sit with élan you need width to seat 3 in the third row and the xylo and innova are the only cars (MUV's) which have width on offer.
If you have a hatch for the city then go for a big comfy MUV which is better suited for the highways. The Ertiga (in my humble opinion) is more of a go between. As in if you just have one car and not 2 then it serves the best of both worlds with it's compact dimensions and maximised space.
Yes, want 5 to be seated comfortably. Then -
1) Which sedan within 15L is best suited?
2) What are the pros with Innova mid variant over Xylo top model that worth puting extra 2 L over Xylo to Innova?

Last edited by superbhikari : 20th June 2012 at 12:51.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Yes, want 5 to be seated comfortably. Then -
1) Which sedan within 15L is best suited?
If I was in your place, I would pick the XUV. I wont really spend 15 Lacs on the underpowered and under-equipped Innova.

Also, dont compare the Ertiga and XUV just on space. The XUV is more spacious and practical when it comes to cabin utility. Also, it has a much more powerful engine and a lot more features to keep you pampered.

Long highway drives would be much more easier in the XUV than the Ertiga.

BUT, if you have decided on a sedan, then I will pick the Cruze Automatic. Yes, even the Verna diesel has Automatic.

Quote:
2) What are the pros with Innova mid variant over Xylo top model that worth puting extra 2 L over Xylo to Innova?
+ Resale value
+ Reliability
+ Ride quality

- High price
- Low on features
- No safety features

BUT, I would not count the first point as a deciding factor as whatever you are gaining in the resale value, you are losing much more than it because of the huge price difference between Innova and Xylo. Also, the Xylo has more space in the 3rd row than the Innova. Also, after spending 13.25 Lacs, you live with a car without the basic safety features. Why not spend the same money and buy a better equipped and safer XUV5OO W6?

With Innova, you pay a lot more for the brand value of Toyota.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 20th June 2012 at 13:18.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:37   #70
BHPian

Quote:
If I was in your place, I would pick the XUV. I wont really spend 15 Lacs on the underpowered and under-equipped Innova.

Also, dont compare the Ertiga and XUV just on space. The XUV is more spacious and practical when it comes to cabin utility. Also, it has a much more powerful engine and a lot more features to keep you pampered.

Long highway drives would be much more easier in the XUV than the Ertiga.

BUT, if you have decided on a sedan, then I will pick the Cruze Automatic. Yes, even the Verna diesel has Automatic.

+ Resale value
+ Reliability
+ Ride quality

- High price
- Low on features
- No safety features

BUT, I would not count the first point as a deciding factor as whatever you are gaining in the resale value, you are losing much more than it because of the huge price difference between Innova and Xylo. Also, the Xylo has more space in the 3rd row than the Innova. Also, after spending 13.25 Lacs, you live with a car without the basic safety features. Why not spend the same money and buy a better equipped and safer XUV5OO W6?

With Innova, you pay a lot more for the brand value of Toyota.
1) The problem with base variant XUV apart from long waiting period is colour preference - with biege interiors - only Black is available which is very tough to maintain here or else choose any other with black+plum interior on W6 or else pay 15 lac for white W8.

2)Whether it's Cruze or Verna both dont seem to be a comfortable 5 - seater?

Last edited by superbhikari : 20th June 2012 at 13:42.
Old 20th June 2012, 14:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
1) The problem with base variant XUV apart from long waiting period is colour preference - with biege interiors - only Black is available which is very tough to maintain here or else choose any other with black+plum interior on W6 or else pay 15 lac for white W8.
Are you sure the XUV W6 does not come in white colour? Infact I even came across a used white XUV W6 -

Used Mahindra XUV 500 W6 2WD, Buy Used Mahindra XUV 500 W6 2WD in Delhi, Second Hand Mahindra XUV 500 W6 2WD Price, Features, Dealers

Quote:
2)Whether it's Cruze or Verna both dont seem to be a comfortable 5 - seater?
Sedans lack the width of the SUVs and MUVs to accommodate 5 comfortably. That is the reason I suggested XUV.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 15:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the XUV W6 does not come in white colour? Infact I even came across a used white XUV W6 -

Used Mahindra XUV 500 W6 2WD, Buy Used Mahindra XUV 500 W6 2WD in Delhi, Second Hand Mahindra XUV 500 W6 2WD Price, Features, Dealers

Sedans lack the width of the SUVs and MUVs to accommodate 5 comfortably. That is the reason I suggested XUV.
Yes, dealer told white only available in W8.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:58   #73
BHPian

Honestly I do love the XUV but I'd rather wait for the XUV rush to settle down, let Mahindra get it's act together and then buy one.
(Plus I am hoping, praying and waiting for an XUV with a low range gear box)
The pros and cons between the Innova and Xylo have already been dealt with. The Innova is a better built product and commands a premium while the Xylo is a cheaper but better equipped alternative. Personally I'd choose a Xylo but that's only because I know I can get my hands dirty with the techs at the service centre if the situation demands. (it's less likely to happen but in case it does I know I can deal with it.)
a few minor niggles may crop up with the Xylo that you won't have to think about in the Innova but that's the difference you pay for, quality.
If you are looking at sedans then for fifteen you may get a Civic and Altis, sorry I am not much of a Sedan guy so can't comment. The only issue with Hondas is their low ground clearance.
Off Roadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 15:58   #74
BHPian

I would choose Ertiga, simply because of the middle ground it holds. It's compact, yet it can accommodate the odd extra luggage or passengers. Of course, this means I am not expecting to be having a full-house most of the time. And I would never think of Xylo, simply because of the appearance.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 21:26   #75
BHPian

I was also considering all these options and finally bought an Innova (Upgrade from NHC). I mainly use my car for outstation trip with Family. I chose Innova because,
1. Reliability.
2. Four very good seats with lot of luggage space.(Almost always,minimum 4 on board)
3. Flexibility when more people are on board.
4. ABS & Airbag (That was the minimum requirement)
5. Reasonably comfortable ride on bad roads.
6. Better road presence than sedans

Most Viewed