Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MUV would you prefer?
Ertiga 141 32.94%
Innova 226 52.80%
Xylo 73 17.06%
Others please specify 14 3.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 12:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga vs Toyota Innova vs Mahindra Xylo

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Official Maruti Ertiga Review has been uploaded at this link.

With the launch of Ertiga there is a geniune alternative in the MUV space competing head on with the other favourites Innova and Xylo being the other contender. My brother in law has been waiting for this launch before deciding on a MUV which will be the family vehicle. They have 2 hatches presently and would like to replace the older one with the MUV so that the whole family can be accomodated at one go when the requirement arises.

More on the requirement-

1. Require a spacious vehicle read bigger than an average big hatch or sedan to seat 5 adults + 3 children
2. Preferably diesel though would consider a petrol (with the capable petrol Ertiga thrown in to the picture) with mostly weekend runabouts and ocassional long trips
3. Budget maximum upto 10 lakhs but lower the better with the maximum fuel efficiency and low maintenance costs
4. Other options in contention being the Bolero / Scorpio / Eeco but are not among the top contenders on basis of looks or size or cost etc
5. Looking closely at other prospective launches for this year such as Mini Xylo / GM's Chinese based MUVs etc to see if they fit the bill.

So please provide your comments and suggestions on which would be the best bet considering the above requriements and the purchase window being this year.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2012 at 22:58. Reason: Adding link to review
Old 16th April 2012, 13:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga vs Toyota Innova vs Mahindra Xylo

Of all the choices (~ 10L range), I found that only Xylo provides a full-size 3rd row that can accommodate three adults comfortably with ample head & leg room. This is a key need in our family. The biggest complaint with the Xylo is total lack of storage space for luggage with the 3rd row up.... a roof carrier is really not practical with Xylo's height.

Ertiga is real nice, but being used to Xylo's space I found it cramped in the 3rd row and even the 2nd row space is more like a hatchback than a MUV.

Cheers.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:00   #3
BANNED

Re: Ertiga vs Innova vs Xylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
More on the requirement-

1. Require a spacious vehicle read bigger than an average big hatch or sedan to seat 5 adults + 3 children
2. Preferably diesel though would consider a petrol (with the capable petrol Ertiga thrown in to the picture) with mostly weekend runabouts and ocassional long trips
3. Budget maximum upto 10 lakhs but lower the better with the maximum fuel efficiency and low maintenance costs.
Well, none of these can carry 5 adults plus 3 big children very comfortably however the Innova is the most spacious of them all.

However, your budget doesn't permit buying a top end variant of the Innova which I would have recommended.

Coming to the Xylo and the Ertiga, since your car will be used only as a weekend runabout for trips and they will continue to have the 2 other hatches, I would suggest the petrol Ertiga over the Xylo.

If you want to look at the diesel, then a test drive should sort out the issue.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

With that budget, Xylo makes the most sense.

The Ertiga is not spacious and cannot seat 5 adults with 3 children.

For 10 Lacs, you will be getting the base Innova, which is not worth it.

So Xylo, it is.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 13:08   #5
BHPian

Considering all parameters XYLO comes out as Jack of all, Master of none.

Few quick points:
Against Innova - Price, Fuel Economy
Against Ertiga - Size, occasional 7 seater
Old 16th April 2012, 13:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, none of these can carry 5 adults plus 3 big children very comfortably however the Innova is the most spacious of them all.

Coming to the Xylo and the Ertiga, since your car will be used only as a weekend runabout for trips and they will continue to have the 2 other hatches, I would suggest the petrol Ertiga over the Xylo.
At this point of time the kids are all very young well below 10 years and a typical outing will be 2 couples with the kids. They will most probably retain the bigger hatch - Vista D and may part with M800 hence it would be a hatch and an MUV in the family.

Last edited by girishglg : 16th April 2012 at 13:14.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:10   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Reading your post gives me an impression that you are already sold on the Ertiga. Your requirements also basically fit around it. A sedan like car, occasional use for 5 adults and kids, less than 10L OTR for a diesel.. It has Ertiga written all over it. So I would recommend you to go ahead and get it. Waiting for an year would only increase the prices in my opinion. An Innova is also a good option though for 10L you will get only a used car.

My vote goes for the Ertiga.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:14   #8
BANNED

Quote:
At this point of time the kids are all very young well below 10 years and a typical outing will be 2 couples with the kids. They will most probably retain the bigger hatch - Vista D and might part with M800 hence it would be a hatch and an MUV in the family.
Hmmmm....in that case, the Ertiga would suffice for now.However, if they intend to keep the vehicle for a longer time, say, the next 5 years, the kids would have grown up and will need more space, and the Ertiga will fall short for 6 fully grown adults, especially for long trips which makes the Xylo the ideal deal but if the kids are 4-5 years old, the Ertiga will satisfy them.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:28   #9
BHPian

I too am in a similar position Petrol Ertiga Vs Xylo; my beloved Wagon is now 7 years old and we need a bigger car for weekend trips and road holidays. Our requirement is for 2-3 adults, one Dalmatian and one Great Dane. We also have a diesel ritz as a run about for drives into the city (we live in the suburbs).

I was sold on the Petrol Ertiga however the roof is much lower than expected, with the seats folded, might be an issue for the Dane to "sit up" on longer trips. Also when you factor in long term ownership, Diesel does seem to be a cheaper option.

What confuses me completely is the fact that we have one of the best ever Maruti workshops around and that makes the Maruti purchase more tempting.

For now am sitting on the fence, waiting for Ertiga drives to be available at home so I can take the mutts for a small round and practically compare rather than work on measurements. I had taken the petrol for a td and found it to be smooth and quite powerful so the hills should not be a big issue to tackle.

Also any thoughts on which car will age more gracefully and if kept over 6-7 years, would Diesel make more sense?
Old 16th April 2012, 13:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
At this point of time the kids are all very young well below 10 years and a typical outing will be 2 couples with the kids. They will most probably retain the bigger hatch - Vista D and may part with M800 hence it would be a hatch and an MUV in the family.

To me, Ertiga is a better choice. If the kids are 3-4 years old, I think that's the one to look for.
Xylo - I have sat in 3rd row for abt 80 odd kms drive and I fould it (much) better than Innova's last row. Innova, my ankles and thighs started hurting in about 20 odd kms.
Problem with Xylo however, is the luggage space with all seats up. You cannot even think of putting roof carrier to already tall vehicle.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:56   #11
BHPian

Out of these 3, My vote goes to Xylo for the following reasons:
-Price
-Economical to run
-Provides best seating for 7
-Powerful engine
-Safety features
Old 16th April 2012, 13:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Comapring Ertiga and Innova is like comparing Dzire and the Corolla just because both are 5 seaters! There is a significant price difference between the two and its just not apples to apples comparison.

One can compare Ertiga and Xylo and I would always take the Ertiga over Xylo! Its more modern, more fuel efficient, easier to drive, better image (Xylo is just not at all a family vehicle!!!) and easier to live with than the ugly Mahindra. Xylo's rear seat is the worst I have been in so far! Traveled once to Mysore from Bangalore in a Xylo and frankly resolved never to hire it again! Its really bad, no comfort whatsoever.
joslicx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 14:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you should test drive all 3 vehicles with full load(all intented passengers) then take your decision based on your experience and all also feedback from all the co-passengers.

PS: You cannot go wrong with any of the above 3. But if you choose the Ertiga>Xylo>Innova in the order mentioned,you would get more features for less investment.
Old 16th April 2012, 14:36   #14
BHPian

@ girishglg,

Quote:
My brother in law has been waiting for this launch before deciding on a MUV which will be the family vehicle. They have 2 hatches presently and would like to replace the older one with the MUV so that the whole family can be accommodated at one go when the requirement arises.

More on the requirement-

In an Ertiga, you would end up seating 2 adults in the front row, 2 adults + 1 child in the middle row, and 1 adult + 1 child in the last row, to be comfortable during the longer runs. That would make it 5 adults + 2 children.

Until and unless the family members are of average build or lesser, you will find it difficult to accommodate 5 adults + 3 children in an Ertiga, unless at least one of the children is small enough to sit on an adult's lap.

As per seating requirements a Xylo, an Innova or a Tavera will fit the bill better than the Ertiga(all BS 4 models considered).

Quote:
3. Budget maximum upto 10 lakhs but lower the better with the maximum fuel efficiency and low maintenance costs
As for the budget, Xylo and Ertiga meet the budget requirements. Tavera BS4 will be a little dearer on the pocket and Innova even more.

Which one to choose then?
  1. If budget wasn't a constraint, with the above seating requirements, I would look to choose between Innova and Tavera.
  2. With the budget in place, Xylo should be the choice that matches most of your requirements, unless you want to consider the Ertiga with a compromise on seating.
As per reports in the media, Chevrolet Enjoy (MPV) will be launched only towards the end of the year.

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 14:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Comapring Ertiga and Innova is like comparing Dzire and the Corolla just because both are 5 seaters! There is a significant price difference between the two and its just not apples to apples comparison.
+1 to that.
Despite so many posts mentioning Ertiga can't be compared to Innova, we have a poll now. Really can't understand the purpose.
As someone rightly said, if someone is capable of buying Innova, he will definitely buy one without even looking at Ertiga. That's it.
Ertiga is the perfect vehicle for in-city cab drivers where they have flexibility for no. of passengers, luggage and most imp. Diesel. As the most trips would be <= 1 hour, comfort is not that priority for MAJORITY of customers.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks