Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 11:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 or Ford Endeavour EDIT - Bought Captiva

Does the new Captiva come with the 2.0 engine?
Old 13th July 2012, 12:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Himanshu: Your thread is being watched closely by me atleast as i am in some sort of prisoners dilema out here. Confused from the duster all the way to the captiva.

Could you let me know the price of captiva 2012 OTR. Would be awesome!
Old 13th July 2012, 12:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Maddy, the 2012 facelift is only in the 2.2 AWD AT version- that is 27L OTR

If i go for the Captiva, it will be the pre facelift version with the 2L manual, after discounts i am getting this for 18.25L OTR GGn

I had a look at the Duster and was seriously unimpressed with it. Its size is too small for me and the interiors are decidedly low rent. Plus the front seats are very slab sided and uncomfortable. Didnt consider it at all.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 13th July 2012 at 12:20.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 12:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Maddy, the 2012 facelift is only in the 2.2 AWD AT version- that is 27L OTR.
Oh wow, didnt know that. As all the websites mention some 2 versions one of which is the Xtreme, so thought there is something lower here. Will need to check the W8 too. Heard the niggles are almost sorted out.

Best of luck on your buy. Will be watching.
Old 13th July 2012, 13:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

i did check out hte W8, and quite frankly, if your budget allows for a Captiva or fortuner, dont consider the XUV. Despite the strides Mahindra has made over the Scorpio, the XUV is still crude and rough around the edges. The electricals are suspect as well.

Styling is very subjective, so no comments there.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:08   #36
BANNED

Quote:
i did check out hte W8, and quite frankly, if your budget allows for a Captiva or fortuner, dont consider the XUV. Despite the strides Mahindra has made over the Scorpio, the XUV is still crude and rough around the edges.
I d strongly recommend you TD the Yeti once in detail, at least to set the benchmarks right, in terms of fit and finish and ergonomics.
Don't buy it if it doesn't appeal to you.

And yes, as far as Skoda's reputation is concerned, it has improved by leaps and bounds and I haven't heard of a single Yeti failure, worldwide, thus far. To top it up, you have the 4 year/100,000kms warranty to boot.

Last edited by n.devdath : 13th July 2012 at 14:10.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 14:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Just came out of the Skoda yeti test drive (today is test drive day!!). One word- Damn!!- what an amazing car. I test drove the base 4x2 and the top end 4x4. The drives were short- couple of kms each, but i was impresed with the vehicle- the driving dynamics are brilliant, the quality of interiors would put many luxury sedans to shame, every thing worked with pin point precision. There is something about the yeti's interioris that i cant quite put it in words, but it makes you smile.....makes you feel special. what a beautiful interior!

But- the exterior- ummmm.....nope. Just looks like a large hatch. Although it is a beautifully engineered car, it just doesnt have the size or the road presence that I want.

So all in all a great car, tad overpriced, but not for me.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 14:55   #38
BHPian

Just go for Endevour. time tested, proven on Indian roads, good service back up. Pleasure of driving is something different. Just ENdo should suit you.

Quote:
I know both cars are in different segments, but what the heck!

I am in the market for a replacement for my SX4- the SX4 is getting a bit long in the tooth now and am looking for an upgrade.

I currently drive a scorpio that is about 8 months old, and the car is just about OK- has its positives and negatives, but in all doesnt really pull on my heartstrings the way my Safari used to.

So the idea is that the wife gets the Scorpio and i buy something else for myself.

I have shortlisted the XUV 500 w8 and the Endy 2.5

The one thing that is making me wary of the XUV are the reported problems (sorry, cant term them niggles) and my lack of confidence in Mahindra's ability with electricals, esp at the A.S.S. level.

the other issue is that I dont really like the look of the XUV too much- overstyled IMHO- so if I buy this, it will be in black which maskes the front end style a bit.

the XUV w8 is 14.5 OTR Gurgaon and there is a 4 month waiting peirod (outer limit- actual deliveries are happening within 3 months)

Now the Endeavour- have always loved the beast. Have yet to read any negative thing from owners across internet forums. the only gripe is high maintenance costs, but then that is offset by the inherent reliability of this beast.

The endeavour is not as loaded as the XUV but in a way, i like that- I am not too big a fan of electrical gizmos in a car- lesser chances of things going wrong.

the Endy is working out to 19L OTR GGn (incl 40K discount)- 4.5 L more. So my question is, is it worth the extra 4.5 L?

I will be test driving both over the weekend to get a feel for the two cars.

thoughts and suggestions welcome.....
Old 13th July 2012, 15:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was impresed with the vehicle- the driving dynamics are brilliant, the quality of interiors would put many luxury sedans to shame, every thing worked with pin point precision. There is something about the yeti's interioris that i cant quite put it in words, but it makes you smile.....makes you feel special. what a beautiful interior!

But- the exterior- ummmm.....nope. Just looks like a large hatch. Although it is a beautifully engineered car, it just doesnt have the size or the road presence that I want.

So all in all a great car, tad overpriced, but not for me.
1. Thanks for going and taking a look.

2. Couple of kms. on Yeti is woefully short! You should have gone to the Gurgaon Faridabad Tollway and tried out the curves at triple digit speeds.

3. You could have even ventured into a bit of offroad, and you would have been amazed at what this hatch is capable of!

4. Yeti is not over-priced. Maybe Yes, if you equate price with Size. But, feature to feature, refinement to refinement, reliability to reliability, comfort to comfort, nothing in this segment and above can hold a candle to the Yeti (Yet!).

Most of all, I sincerely hope, that the Yeti T.D. makes your problem even more difficult, because almost everything else in your price range will somehow seem so inadequate. All the best with your search...
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 16:00   #40
BHPian

Well the Endy TD went according to expectations is what I would say. IMO if one has a family (read people occupying the middle seat) then it is almost out of question - such is the ride quality. I would still rate it much better than the Safari though .

I think you should put your money on the Captiva. It is the best of the lot.
Old 13th July 2012, 16:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Roy, my friend, you have no idea how much my wife is pertering me to buy the Yeti- she is smitten with the car. couple of KMs was actually a bit more than that- went to the Golf course road-golf course exten road strech. some sweepers, some bad tarmac etc. I am realy impressed with this vehicle, no doubt. Just that it doesnt appeal to me. its an intangible........

Cesc, yup, by the looks of it I may be buying the Captiva after all......ticks more boxes than any other vehicle in my price range.

Quote:
I would still rate it much better than the Safari though .
You're kidding right!!!!, Safari's middle row rivals a Q7 in terms of comfort and the endy is no where close to it.

BTW, Roy and CESC, do you guys have meets in GGN? if not, we should plan one.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 13th July 2012 at 16:20.
Old 13th July 2012, 16:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
R
BTW, Roy and CESC, do you guys have meets in GGN? if not, we should plan one.
Here you go buddy:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...thread-48.html

If you come to the next meet, currently being planned, you should get to meet Behemoth and .Anshuman, who will perhaps tell you some nice things about Skoda.
It would be good to have you in the Meet. BTW, I believe, the Gurgaon meet is the most regular of all the ones in NCR.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 21:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Folks, some update.

Have instructed my Admin to release a PO for the Captiva. IF all goes well, should get the Captiva by 22nd July.

I still hope the Endeavour was a better experience, but the difference between teh two was too stark to ignore.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 21:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Good decision bro. I am sure you wont be disappointed.

The Captiva strikes the right balance between size, road presence and comfort. Are you buying the A/T?
Old 13th July 2012, 22:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the booking!
Quote:
The only worry is that the present look is being phased out and replaced by the look of the 2.2. Also the 2L engine is being discontinued in about 6 months, so am worried about spares. i know resale will be crap, but am not worried on that account since either the captiva or the endy are both long term bets.
If the Captiva 2.0 engine is same as the Cruze then I don't think you should worry about parts.

Cruze has been a great success for Chevy and they are not going to screw up their reputation up by not offering parts to current customers.

Most Viewed