Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 16:18   #91

Buying a second hand Chevy Captiva or new Mahindra XUV 5OO

Hello Guys,

Need your help!

I drive a Ford Figo Diesel and now I have reached a stage where I may afford to buy a (full grown) SUV (XUV or Scorpio and not the Safari or Yeti). I have been wanting to do this for a very long time however due to financial limitations, was never able to do so. My wife (and me too) has always liked the XUV 5OO then any other SUVs, courtesy to its looks and other gadgets.
Couple of weeks back we were at a second hand showroom helping my uncle to choose a second hand Wagon R. While doing so I test drove a 2012 pre-owned XUV, which had done about 35,000 kms. The road was a normal city cemented road hence was smooth, bumpy as well as had some potholes in it. The ride was ok, bit bumpy though. Being a W8, it was loaded with features. The dealer sales person asked me to try out a 2010, 48,500 kms done (looked to be well maintained) Chevrolet Captiva. We were absolutely blown away by the car's suspension and felt really royal with the quality of interiors (even though it may be minus some of XUV features). The ride quality was awesome, to put it in one word, enjoyed the silence in the cabin (compared to XUV).

When I am trying to sell my Figo, I am getting a response from dealers at times is that this is a Ford and the brand is not a preferred one in the second hand market.

Now starts the confusion, I can afford a new XUV W6 or a pre-owned Captiva (around 4 years old and have completed 45,000 - 48,000 kms). EMIs and all other financials match.

Major Points in favor of XUV
  1. New vehicle
  2. Under Company warranty
  3. Parts would be cheaper
  4. Better Mileage
  5. May have a good resale value down the line
What I do not like
  1. Bit of Bumpy ride
  2. Quality of interiors
  3. History of niggles in the Product (though lot of them rectified now)
  4. Miss the beige color interiros which makes the vehicle look airy (i know its tough to maintain. But I am tired of black interiors in Figo)
  5. Is there a upgrade planned by Mahindra for XUV later this year?
Major Points in favor of Captiva LT
  1. Premium SUV
  2. Fantastic Ride
  3. Excellent interiors, better quality then XUV
  4. Has done less then 50,000 kms. Hence can still do a lot more
  5. Nice beige interiors.
What I am scared of
  1. Don't know what would be the vehicle's history (though I may use the BHP guide while buying if I do so)
  2. The vehicle is a 4 year old premium one and hence the spare parts may be expensive and not easy to get.
  3. Don't know what is GM's exact strategy for Captiva (not sure if they have already stopped selling it)?
  4. I will be again stuck with a vehicle which may not have enough resale value (as a brand as well as being a Captiva)
I would request you guys to help me arrive at some sort of a decision , though my heart says Captiva, brain says XUV!

PS - Mods, please merge this in an existing thread if there is one.
damore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 19:07   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a second hand Captiva or new XUV

If your only complaints of the XUV are the ride quality and the lack of beige interiors, why don't you try out the Safari Storme, the car really is one hell of a performer. Comes loaded with quite a few features too including a premium sound system. The ride quality is legendary and the interiors are quite pleasant.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 19:34   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damore View Post
...Now starts the confusion, I can afford a new XUV W6 or a pre-owned Captiva (around 4 years old and have completed 45,000 - 48,000 kms). EMIs and all other financials match...
The right question is "Can you afford the repair costs of the Captiva?". Just to give a heads up, the Captiva engine costs 6L and the fuel pump Rs. 35,000/-. Yes, all these if something goes wrong.

Since the car has already done 4 years, it's out of warranty period. If you plan to buy this on EMI, PLEASE LET IT GO !!!

Edit:: Captive is a FANTASTIC 7 seater as long as it is in warranty period!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st April 2014 at 19:41. Reason: Added "Edit" option
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:59   #94

@IshaanIan - Thanks for your advice. I will TD the Storme, though its going to be a bit difficult convincing my wifey to accompany me because when we had seen it during one of the expos in Mumbai she was '12 lakhs for nothing inside, not even an Auto AC or even a single button on the steering. The music system looks like my old Wagon R one' . Though now they have got some touch screen music system with inbuilt Nav, etc. If I am convinced I will try my best to convince her as well. Fingers Crossed!

@swiftnfurious - Those figures look scary!. Thanks for your advice as well. I was expecting big repairs if went down but not so high. If this is the case I completely agree that the 1st owner must have enjoyed the vehicle thoroughly in the warranty period.
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:55   #95
BHPian

Please please please - go for the XUV.

I have owned a Captiva and lost a lot money there. Repairs were too expensive. Finally had to sell it off for dirt cheap price. No exchange dealers (excluding Toyota) were ready to buy the Captiva.

No doubt its a great car as long as you have no intention to (ever) sell it and it (never) breaks down. A breakdown would mean close to the cost of car in the 2nd hand market.
pahwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:44   #96
BHPian

I say stay away from the Captiva. It's a competent vehicle, but for various valid reasons its sales have declined considerably.

Also you will be buying the earlier generation Captiva and the service and spares cost is prohibitive to say the least.

Second hand Fortuner through pricey is a much better and safer bet.
kewlferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:50   #97
Senior - BHPian

A new XUV any day is a better buy over a second hand Captiva!

M&M has changed and upgraded the XUV to the better and I am sure you will not be disappointed in buying it.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:23   #98
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a second hand Chevy Captiva or new Mahindra XUV 5OO

Have already done the maths, But my situation was "New XUV vs Preowned Fortuner".

Bought Fortuner
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:24   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drive a Ford Figo Diesel and now I have reached a stage where I may afford to buy a (full grown) SUV (XUV or Scorpio and not the Safari or Yeti). I have been wanting to do this for a very long time however due to financial limitations, was never able to do so. My wife (and me too) has always liked the XUV 5OO then any other SUVs, courtesy to its looks and other gadgets.
If you both like the XUV then go for it and forget the Captiva and the Scorpio.
Go to the Mahindra showroom and get an long TD of the XUV, but remember it is only a softroader and not a proper off-roader.

You may also TD the Storme to get a feel of the vehicle and also you can compare it with the XUV and decide which one suits you.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:49   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
I say stay away from the Captiva. It's a competent vehicle, but for various valid reasons its sales have declined considerably.

Also you will be buying the earlier generation Captiva and the service and spares cost is prohibitive to say the least.

Second hand Fortuner through pricey is a much better and safer bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Please please please - go for the XUV.

I have owned a Captiva and lost a lot money there. Repairs were too expensive. Finally had to sell it off for dirt cheap price. No exchange dealers (excluding Toyota) were ready to buy the Captiva.

No doubt its a great car as long as you have no intention to (ever) sell it and it (never) breaks down. A breakdown would mean close to the cost of car in the 2nd hand market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
A new XUV any day is a better buy over a second hand Captiva!

M&M has changed and upgraded the XUV to the better and I am sure you will not be disappointed in buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Have already done the maths, But my situation was "New XUV vs Preowned Fortuner".

Bought Fortuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
If you both like the XUV then go for it and forget the Captiva and the Scorpio.
Go to the Mahindra showroom and get an long TD of the XUV, but remember it is only a softroader and not a proper off-roader.

You may also TD the Storme to get a feel of the vehicle and also you can compare it with the XUV and decide which one suits you.
Thank you CHAMPS!. Captiva is almost out of contention now. I did try fitting a second hand Fortuner in my budget but could not do so. Since my second hand budget is limited till 10 lacs and there are none available due to brand value and it being a fantastic vehicle in itself.

Will take a TD of Safari & XUV for sure (may be over the weekend) & then take a call. Also my requirements are more Soft roader types. I just hope that there was no issue with the second hand XUV (pertaining only to that vehicle) which I tested and had an OK ride. Hope my TDs give me a good one!
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:49   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you CHAMPS!. Captiva is almost out of contention now. I did try fitting a second hand Fortuner in my budget but could not do so. Since my second hand budget is limited till 10 lacs and there are none available due to brand value and it being a fantastic vehicle in itself.

Will take a TD of Safari & XUV for sure (may be over the weekend) & then take a call. Also my requirements are more Soft roader types. I just hope that there was no issue with the second hand XUV (pertaining only to that vehicle) which I tested and had an OK ride. Hope my TDs give me a good one!
You'll not get a second hand Fortuner in 10Lakhs, you need to streach to 17/18 for that. Even if are thinking of Fortuner go for the 2012 or later models which has the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control).

As you mentioned your requirement for a full grown SUV, the Fortuner and Safari Storme would fulfill that requirement and not the XUV.

M&M has been doing a lot of changes in the XUV, fellow member SDP mentioned in his thread that some 42 changes have been done since the launch. That is the reason to suggest TD of a showroom vehicle.
Old 4th April 2014, 14:52   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
You'll not get a second hand Fortuner in 10Lakhs, you need to streach to 17/18 for that.
============That is the reason to suggest TD of a showroom vehicle.
Yes Fortuner is out of my budget long time back. I will TD and XUV extensively over this weekend. Hopefully I get to drive the XUV which is the recently improved one.
Old 4th April 2014, 15:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As the OP of this thread and a captiva owner for the last 2 years, i can tell you onething- the XUV is no where even close to the Captiva. The Captiva is in a league of its own. buy one, you will love it. period.
Old 4th April 2014, 16:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 or Ford Endeavour EDIT - Bought Captiva

^^ Perhaps a Long Term Ownership Review would have helped things OP.
Old 4th April 2014, 16:19   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
As the OP of this thread and a captiva owner for the last 2 years, i can tell you onething- the XUV is no where even close to the Captiva. The Captiva is in a league of its own. buy one, you will love it. period.
Hey Himanshu, I did go through your thread. I agree with all your inputs. What I am (always) worried of is that you have bought a new Captiva and I will be buying a 4-4.5 yrs old one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks