Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 11:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 or Ford Endeavour EDIT - Bought Captiva

I know both cars are in different segments, but what the heck!

I am in the market for a replacement for my SX4- the SX4 is getting a bit long in the tooth now and am looking for an upgrade.

I currently drive a scorpio that is about 8 months old, and the car is just about OK- has its positives and negatives, but in all doesnt really pull on my heartstrings the way my Safari used to.

So the idea is that the wife gets the Scorpio and i buy something else for myself.

I have shortlisted the XUV 500 w8 and the Endy 2.5

The one thing that is making me wary of the XUV are the reported problems (sorry, cant term them niggles) and my lack of confidence in Mahindra's ability with electricals, esp at the A.S.S. level.

the other issue is that I dont really like the look of the XUV too much- overstyled IMHO- so if I buy this, it will be in black which maskes the front end style a bit.

the XUV w8 is 14.5 OTR Gurgaon and there is a 4 month waiting peirod (outer limit- actual deliveries are happening within 3 months)

Now the Endeavour- have always loved the beast. Have yet to read any negative thing from owners across internet forums. the only gripe is high maintenance costs, but then that is offset by the inherent reliability of this beast.

The endeavour is not as loaded as the XUV but in a way, i like that- I am not too big a fan of electrical gizmos in a car- lesser chances of things going wrong.

the Endy is working out to 19L OTR GGn (incl 40K discount)- 4.5 L more. So my question is, is it worth the extra 4.5 L?

I will be test driving both over the weekend to get a feel for the two cars.

thoughts and suggestions welcome.....
Old 11th July 2012, 11:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 or Ford Endeavour EDIT - Bought Captiva

Sometimes you need to take decisions with your heart rather than your mind.

Though, I would have picked the XUV over the Endy, your post clearly states that you love the Endy and not the XUV.

Is it worth the 4.5 Lacs? Well, yes. Simply because you LOVE the car. You would not want to buy the XUV now, and then repent when you see an Endy pass by... The way you did with the Scorpio.

Good luck.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 11:28   #3
BHPian

Knew that you could not be contained in a sedan for too long having tasted SUV blood once .

i too am not a fan of the XUV looks or for that matter the reliability i associate with the brand. I think you are better off with the Endy. But having said this, have you explored Fortuner as an option (i am not sure what its OTR is though).
Old 11th July 2012, 11:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Jatin, the Fortuner is 23+ OTR, great vehicle but a bit overpriced IMHO.

somehow i just cant get myself to go in for the XUV despite its VFM proposition.

And you are right about the SUV bit- driving sedans is just not the same once you taste SUV blood- plus, SUVs are more of a "necessity" in the badlands of NCR
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 11:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Between XUV and Endy. Endy any day. Mind you, the only thing would be a slightly bumpy ride at the rear, but you can live with it.
Endy has fantastic road presence, and some day if you want to start playing, there are tonnes of stuff that you can do to and with your Endy. I don't think you will ever get similar options for the XUV.
I'm talking Lift Kits, Coil-overs, 33 inchers, Winch etc....
Old 11th July 2012, 12:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Sometimes you need to take decisions with your heart rather than your mind.

Though, I would have picked the XUV over the Endy, your post clearly states that you love the Endy and not the XUV.

Is it worth the 4.5 Lacs? Well, yes. Simply because you LOVE the car. You would not want to buy the XUV now, and then repent when you see an Endy pass by... The way you did with the Scorpio.

Good luck.
I second that.

Between these two cars; IMHO XUV is just a hype and I would never risk my money in such a shoddy product and I am saying that after doing a test drive few months back.

There is some offer going on Endy this month and attaching a flyer received from Ford two days back. May be it would be good to check out with a showroom nearby.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 or Ford Endeavour EDIT - Bought Captiva-headerendvr.jpg  

Last edited by maheshramaling : 11th July 2012 at 12:14.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 12:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Between XUV and Endy. Endy any day. Mind you, the only thing would be a slightly bumpy ride at the rear, but you can live with it.
Endy has fantastic road presence, and some day if you want to start playing, there are tonnes of stuff that you can do to and with your Endy. I don't think you will ever get similar options for the XUV.
I'm talking Lift Kits, Coil-overs, 33 inchers, Winch etc....

LOL- no such mods for me for sure.....but even without them, the Endy seems too tempting a buy.
Old 11th July 2012, 12:10   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Jatin, the Fortuner is 23+ OTR, great vehicle but a bit overpriced IMHO.

somehow i just cant get myself to go in for the XUV despite its VFM proposition.

And you are right about the SUV bit- driving sedans is just not the same once you taste SUV blood- plus, SUVs are more of a "necessity" in the badlands of NCR
Hi Himanshu,
I too am in the same boat as you, just that, the paths are slightly different. I have driven the Endeavor (3.0 AT 2WD) for a good 3000kms and was somehow, not comfortable in it due to the following reasons.

1. The driver's seat is pretty low compared to the high bonnet which essentially means that most of the time what you see is a loooong bonnet ahead of you which is a problem in turning, driving on slopes, up or down and most of all, in traffic. To top it up, the driver's seat does NOT have something as basic as height adjustment.

PS: I do not know how tall you are but I m 5'11" and yet, was not comfortable.

2. While the XUV is a overkill in terms of features and the fact that M&M needs to rectify a few of them for reliability, the Endeavor is too plain jane. For example, it does not have, what I consider useful, steering mounted audio controls, a center armrest for the middle seat, no cruise control on the AT version too, bluetooth connectivity, etc to mention a few. Now when cars costing 7 lac INR can have steering mounted controls, why can't this beast have them? How much a center armrest cost? Also, these things CANNOT be sourced aftermarket.

3. The floor being high is a well known fact and this, coupled with its, not so good ride quality, makes life difficult in the last row. That is row is seldom used but when used, it is tough in there.

We had a small shunt on the way to B'lore near Ahmedabad when a car in front of us braked suddenly and though I managed to haul the Endy in, a Dzire hit our rear left fender. Consequently, the rear fender came off its plastic locks and had to be replaced. The cost of replacing the semi circular cladding of the rear fender, with painting and touching up the rear bumper was INR 20,000.00 at the Ford ASC in Blore. This, while the Dzire did not even have a scratch on it. I m not saying the Endy isn't tough, but damages are expensive.

All in all, though I too, for the reasons mentioned by you, have decided to stay away from the XUV, the Endy doesn't appeal to me for the reasons mentioned above and my actual experiences which is why I have shifted to the Fortuner or the Yeti.

Enough has been said about these vehicles by everyone and the telephone pole on TBHP and I would strongly suggest you take a serious look at both of them, specfically the Yeti if the Fortuner is out of bounds.
Aloha.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 12:17   #9
BHPian

I have owned an endeavour (The first varient) for a good 6 years with over a lakh kms on the odo. I had faced zero problems with the car and didn't send it to the workshop other then for its routine services. The sheer road presence of the beast is the amazing. And the fact that you love the car I say just close your eyes and pick the endy. The only negatives I can think of is finding a parking space for a car this huge in chaotic mumbai! and overtime the ride may get bumpy at the rear but not as bad as the fortuner.

Last edited by Y@SH : 11th July 2012 at 12:20.
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 12:19   #10
BHPian

The answer is very clear, You love the Endy and can afford it. You should go for it. You should also be able to hammer out a sweet deal in the current market where sales are down...

My best wishes..
Old 11th July 2012, 12:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Devdath,

I always assumed the Endy was built like a tank!

The endy is woefully short of features, but I am willing to overlook these if the inherent product is robust and trouble free.

One concern I do have with the endy is the high maintenance costs.

Yet is a strict no no for me for the reason that it is not imposing enough (important in NCR) and Skoda's reputation!

I love the fortuner, but unfortunately it is a tad bit out of budget.

I am also contemplating the Captiva, but not too sure, unless Chevy gives a killer discount!
Old 11th July 2012, 12:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Captiva is a GREAT option. But with the new facelifted varaint already launched, would you like to buy the older model? If you have no issues with that, then you MAY get some nice discounts.

The older one lacks rear A/C vents. Not sure about the new one.
Old 11th July 2012, 12:47   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I am also contemplating the Captiva, but not too sure, unless Chevy gives a killer discount!
There are discounts of around 2 lac INR on the Captiva LT variants across the country since the new Captiva has been launched.

Also, let me know if and when you finalise the Endy, before booking it. My classmate has some good contacts at Harpreet Ford and I will arrange a good discount for you.

Also remember that the new Endy is expected to be launched in Sept-Oct which means that you will be eligible for some more discounts.

Here is some eye tonic for you.

Last edited by n.devdath : 11th July 2012 at 12:50.
Old 11th July 2012, 12:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dev- will surely reach out to you. Appreciate it!
Old 11th July 2012, 12:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

The only problem we faced with Endy was when we drove it was its low seating and this somehow restricted the on road view from the drivers seat.

The other problem i felt was the mix on offer. the 2.5L/3.0L did not had manual and 4x4. I am no automatic fan, Something that really sounded weird at that time.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 11th July 2012 at 12:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks