Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 15:10   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Where can I see the poll now after its merged with old thread? I could see something new on the poll with Storme getting a good lead
You'll just have to go through the posts, poll is lost, but it was storme taking a good lead followed by xuv. Then the duster equally rivaled by ecosport which was kept out moving at snails pace.
Here we keep comparing and there I see manufacturers like ford and Renault laughing and mocking us by increasing prices of there products, citing increase in dollar price. I wonder when producing/manufacturing in India, how we're they effected when the localization levels stand at upwards if 70%. The only thing they want to keep steady with ever changing dollar is there own profit!
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 20:32   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Where can I see the poll now after its merged with old thread? I could see something new on the poll with Storme getting a good lead
The poll data was lost. The figures for XUV and Storm were neck to neck with storm having a slight lead. Duster and Terrano had a similar tie with Terrano in the lead. They however had around 25% of the pie together.

The market statistics are way can different from poll results thou.

To me it would be;
-Duster for its good mix of city and highway maneuverability and manners. Good combination of seating and luggage space. Sprints on command. Terrano has the new feel factor.

- XUV for is good looks and posh interiors. Night club feel. Lot of seats. Great on highway but you need to choose between seats or luggage. Too big for our city roads but rides well.

-Storme for loads of space and rich interior. The exterior need improvement. Not made for city.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 10:48   #123
Team-BHP Support

Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

The Yeti's Active version costs around 15, with discounts around, it should cost around 16.

Patna's dealer is pegging Terrano's price to be over 14 (with all bells & whistles)

Someone looking for a monocoque suv in this range, Yeti makes sense. The only area where Duster/Terrano would have an edge is ride, but a change of tires & 1-2 psi lower than recommended pressure does wonders.
Old 12th September 2013, 11:18   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Someone looking for a monocoque suv in this range, Yeti makes sense. The only area where Duster/Terrano would have an edge is ride, but a change of tires & 1-2 psi lower than recommended pressure does wonders.
- How about cost of ownership ?
- FE for daily use?
Old 12th September 2013, 11:18   #125
BHPian

Well guys, arriving late on this post, but does the good old Scorpio figure some where on the list. If the Storme is there then we are considering the old school ladder on frame options so then both the Scorpio & Bolero should figure some where as well.

For the record Scorpio still beats the Duster in numbers (source is the Economic Times article below)

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...-sumit-sawhney
Old 12th September 2013, 11:34   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- How about cost of ownership ?
Yeti requires a service every 15,000 kms. Service cost is Rs. 7,000 to Rs. 9,000 depending on dealer for Elegance.

I find parts available at a small place like Siliguri. Parts should be costing 25% more than the Cars we are discussing, but the feel good factor can't be ignored as well.

There is a thread about a Duster lying in a garage. Repairs not done for quite few days. Didn't dig up that thread, but Skoda isn't the only evil one here.

Quote:
- FE for daily use?
I am getting 15+ in city traffic and around 18 on highways for the Elegance.

For the 110, the FE should be better. That being a 4X2 should help as well.
Old 12th September 2013, 12:35   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a thread about a Duster lying in a garage. Repairs not done for quite few days. Didn't dig up that thread, but Skoda isn't the only evil one here.

What I have noticed is any car which requires a major parts change gets stuck. And also most guys are not equipped to handle big accident repairs.

What I referred to was when used in normal condition, with regular maintenance, how does the cost factor pan out?

15-18 kmpl range for 2L engine seems very good.
Old 27th September 2013, 18:27   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
I love the Safari. But I think the car for you is the Duster, judging by the tone of your TD experience.

Typically, with a new entrant, I'm always worried about how the service is going to turn out. That's why I have not considered the likes of Volvo or Nissan in my past car choices, after having been burned by Skoda. (Anyone remember the ol' Silvertone workshop in the basement of a house-turned-into-dealership, where it was a minor miracle that the cars came up the ramp fine?)

BUT, Considering how many Dusters they have managed to sell, I think that their service / spares situation wouldn't be like a new company who is still trying to setup distribution. They have a critical mass from the get-go, and I expect that their service is likely to be fine.

With regards to the 4x4 and 4x2, Im not sure where in the NCR area you will need a 4x4. Even in roads that lead into interior parts past Manesar, like near the Classic Golf Club, you don't need a 4x4. Of course, you cant drive a 4x2 car as if its a 4x4 - but even on that road, which is the worst I have been on in NCR, I've pulled through slush, water, mud etc with a high 4x2 SUV. Of course, a Sedan may not be able to do it easily - but the higher ground clearance and bigger wheels will make the Duster pull through.

I dont think you should really worry about the 4 x 4. Is there a specific road / area that you anticipate being stuck on in the NCR area? Or is it just a general 'good to have' feature that you're looking for? If it's the latter - then forget about it.
We are looking at the 85 PS Duster as a general use family runabout that can also ferry 4 dogs to the vet or a 50CC R/C aircraft to the flying field. The problem is that the base version does not have ABS. Although I drive a Gypsy offroad, this would be my first urban SUV. How much of a deal breaker is no ABS?
Old 27th September 2013, 19:33   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardeepmd View Post
We are looking at the 85 PS Duster as a general use family runabout that can also ferry 4 dogs to the vet or a 50CC R/C aircraft to the flying field. The problem is that the base version does not have ABS. Although I drive a Gypsy offroad, this would be my first urban SUV. How much of a deal breaker is no ABS?
You should wait for few weeks. Heard that Terrano's base model has ABS.

Well, I may get beaten for this by the experts, however, I reckon that ABS may be skipped if you are going to drive in-city bumper to bumper traffic. 99% of my driving is in Bangalore's crazy traffic and therefore picked up the RXE base model.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 20:11   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardeepmd View Post
The problem is that the base version does not have ABS. Although I drive a Gypsy offroad, this would be my first urban SUV. How much of a deal breaker is no ABS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
You should wait for few weeks. Heard that Terrano's base model has ABS.
Duster is pretty capable. One of the members has recently completed 8500km Chennai-Leh trip on Duster 85 RXL (o), with ABS.

To me also ABS is not a deal breaker, I own an 85RXL myself. Have done few long drives and touched 150kph few stretches. It can reach 3digit speeds pretty quick. It handles very well and is very comfortable.
Suggest you do a TD of the variant. The TD vehicle would have already seen some rough use by now, so you know how it would feel down the line

But because you are so close to Terrano price announcement, I'd also suggest to wait a bit. I dont expect waiting period on this one.

Ref links:
Post from Sathya Leh trip: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3239417

My review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...er-85-rxl.html

Travelogue from Leh trip: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hd-2013-a.html

Last edited by HillMan : 27th September 2013 at 20:13.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 09:48   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
To me also ABS is not a deal breaker, I own an 85RXL myself. Have done few long drives and touched 150kph few stretches.
What has 150kmph to do with ABS? You can do 200kmph without brakes as well.

Problem shall arise, if a cow jumps from the median & gets in a mood swing seeing you flash lamps & honk.

Braking then, locking up your wheels & heading straight (as you won't be able to steer to safety) for the cow would make you realize what ABS is.

I understand you are not against ABS, but you are not advocating for it as well. Not a deal-breaker? You know some guest or a newbie can read these comments & would form an opinion that Duster is a Sports Car or a very dynamically rich Car and doesn't require ABS.

Infact, how ever rich in dynamics a Car might be, braking equations are entirely different.

In ABS equipped Car you don't have to modulate & can steer your Car, think about it. If you encounter a panic situation, you would be $h!tting bricks instead of modulating as to how to brake.

Pahwa - Bumper to bumper traffic is entirely another situation with speeds very low, still, that Car won't be in a bumper to bumper situation always, will it be? What then...?
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 10:12   #132
BHPian

Quote:

Pahwa - Bumper to bumper traffic is entirely another situation with speeds very low, still, that Car won't be in a bumper to bumper situation always, will it be? What then...?
Sheel

I do not mean to say that ABS are not important. Its just that I did not opt for them because of 1.5 times the money I was supposed to shell out for a model with ABS and airbags. I could not justify these 5 lacs to myself since my driving will be local always. In two months of ownership I have not been able to touch 80 kmph yet.

Moreover, having ABS and not knowing what they do and panicing when they kick in are as dangerous as not having them!
Old 28th September 2013, 10:31   #133
BHPian

Quote:
What has 150kmph to do with ABS? You can do 200kmph without brakes as well.
Guess you missed my point. At 150kmph I am mentioning the cars handling. Total agreement with you on 200kmph, we dont use the brakes to reach that speed.
What I refer is Duster feels well planned at high speeds as well. That was on an express way with dividers and a well tarred road. I wouldn't recommend driving like that on most highways. Speedsters dont buy SUV or crossovers. Drive responsibly.

I agree ABS is a good to have option. Your choice of car and options should be based on your driving style and routes. I wouldn't recommend ABS while driving down hill in a village mud road. Would you?

On a lighter note, a cow with a mood swing might hit you even after the vehicle has stopped

Last edited by HillMan : 28th September 2013 at 10:48.
Old 28th September 2013, 11:02   #134
BHPian

ABS when you are driving in a metro city in bumper to bumper traffic is hardly ESSENTIAL.
But check whether the RxE even has airbags?
Old 28th September 2013, 11:11   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
ABS when you are driving in a metro city in bumper to bumper traffic is hardly ESSENTIAL.
But check whether the RxE even has airbags?
For 85ps ABS+EBD+Brake Assist and Dual front Airbags are available only in RXL (O) trim.
The 110ps has these in all variants.

Last edited by HillMan : 28th September 2013 at 11:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks