Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 23:53   #46
BHPian

Long-time lurker. now looking for advice on a 10Lakh SUV

Hi, despite being on this forum for over 2.5 years, I've never felt the need to post and was happy lurking in the Travelogues, Test Drives and Initial Ownership Reports sub-forums. Driving a Maruti 800 an average of just 4-5KMs/day made sure that there was little I could contribute in terms of insights or anecdotes to such a knowledgeable audience!

Anyways, after 6 years with the 800, both my wife and think its time to move on to a much bigger car. Our main requirements are as of now:
  • Life of atleast 8-10 years. We're looking for a relatively new model/make of car so that we can be assured that the car stays relevant for this period
  • Given our required life span from the car, we obviously need a service network that will be reliable and with good spare part availability into the future
  • Safety features - ABS/EBD/Brake Assist and Front Airbags are a must
  • Some decent amount of ground clearance. While it will be a 80:20 ratio between city and highway driving, we'd definitely plan for highway driving to Ladakh and other parts of the hills up north and we think this is essential given the conditions of the roads there
  • Enough legroom for 3 adults behind at least. We're not interested in seating more than 5 people, so 3rd row seats are not important at all for us
  • Extended warranty option I think is essential and will give us some peace of mind for atleast 4 out of the 10 years, we plan to keep this car

What we do know is that we're not interested in a Tata or Mahindra product, so that rules out the Storme and the Scorpio. That leaves us with either the Duster (and figuring out whether we be satisfied with the 85PS version or stretch to the 110PS version) and stretch our budget to a secondhand Yeti Ambience edition (there seem to be some interesting deals on Carwale. Actually we would be open to a 2nd hand Duster as well).

We'll be going for testdrives this weekend, but given the limited options that fit our requirements, I think its basically a toss-up between these two choices, right? So would appreciate all your inputs here as I start navigating the maze of making my first big automobile purchase! Thanks in advance!
Old 12th February 2013, 09:51   #47
BHPian

Re: Long-time lurker. now looking for advice on a 10Lakh SUV

Dont forget the Ecosport. It satisfies most of your criteria and the launch is nearing now.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:28   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Dont forget the Ecosport. It satisfies most of your criteria and the launch is nearing now.
It's not a car that both of us like the looks of much, so unless it's a great deal in comparison to the Duster, I think we will pass on it. Actually, I hope that it's arrival will result in some softening on prices of the Duster.

The other thing I completely forgot to include in the consideration is that my wife will be driving the car as well. So it has to be convenient for her. Are reports of the Dusters hard clutch universal or isolated?
Old 12th February 2013, 11:32   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

You wouldn't consider an Innova would you? Bullet proof reliability and will last more than ten years. Sparsely used second hand options will fit your budget as well.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you look at the Renault Duster, been seeing quite a few on the roads and some owners that i know are very happy with the car.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You wouldn't consider an Innova would you? Bullet proof reliability and will last more than ten years. Sparsely used second hand options will fit your budget as well.
No, not an Innova. I realize its a practical car and would fit our budget and time span well. It's just too much car for a couple and no point lugging all that extra metal around in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Why dont you look at the Renault Duster, been seeing quite a few on the roads and some owners that i know are very happy with the car.
Thanks. We are going for a test drive of the Duster for sure. Just need some input on the 85 vs. 110 version, given our use case above. Since we want to keep it for 8-10 years, residual value of the car is not as important as total outgo on EMI, fuel and maintenance

Note from Support - Please use the multi-quote option to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th February 2013 at 14:32. Reason: Merged posts
Old 12th February 2013, 11:56   #52
BHPian

Just a few cents from my POV.

1.10 year horizon warrants you go for a new car or max 2 yr old sample.finding a good used vehicle will be tough as buyers of these vehicles drive their hearts out and don't let go 2 yrs into ownership.

2.although I am pissed off with TATA for many reasons, the safari is a solid choice.so is mahindra

3.as of now Renault is not my choice just because of service and spares availability.

Also it will not be as comfortable a 5 seater as a safari.

I doubt any vehicle will meet all your criteria.
But in your position I'd probably wait for the next gen Scorpio.

If you're used to maruti service and easy serviceability, I'd recommend mahindra over Tata

Of course if you're looking for a vehicle with better brand appeal and sophistication, duster does the job, but in practical terms Scorpio and safari it is!

My lengthy response is due to my own TD experience, survey of serviceability in my area and on favourite touring routes. And of course being in a similar predicament of finding a SUV for my needs under 10 lakhs OTR.
Old 12th February 2013, 13:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

If you are interested in pre-owned SUV, why not go for a proper one like Pajero instead of the Yeti. Lots of Pajeros are available in the second hand market and with its indestructible built quality, it will surely last more than 10 years.

However, there is comparison thread for MUV/SUV, which you can go through. Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ice-range.html

Can check the one available on T-BHP classifieds : http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...i/Pajero.html/

Last edited by Sommos : 12th February 2013 at 13:15.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 13:25   #54
BHPian

Your window of owning the car for 10 years - is a long period. You need to trust the manufacturer to provide spares for a decade. One of my acquaintances, bought a Peugeot 308 years ago when it was released. The company went out of India and his car is rusting due to lack of some spares.

For all the cribs about Tata, still Safari is your best bet for a long term ownership.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 13:36   #55
NMS
BHPian

Hmmm, No Scorpio and Safari or Innova, Reliable Spares and Good Service Network.. I think that's quite an ask, have you considered Ertiga?
Given the kind of usage on a daily basis that you have mentioned FE should not be too much of a concern I believe.
Pajero's are good, and Rock Solid, however it is very difficult and expensive to maintain them. It is a tough ask to even get one serviced in cities i feel.

Yeti would be a very good option, and a good second hand Yeti would also guarantee a fair bit of peace of mind, but Skoda Service is Expensive !! Skoda Spares are expensive. However you might want to check on the service intervals of Yeti, if it is 15K Kms or once a year, that should be liveable for your driving.

While we are looking at options, one came to my mind was a pre-worshipped Captiva (don't Kill me, just came to my mind ) !! That might serve you very well and I feel it would offer you much more than a pre-worshipped Yeti at around the same price.

Give Safari Storme a Serious thought, There are some real good reviews coming in on our very own forum !!

Last edited by NMS : 12th February 2013 at 13:38.
Old 12th February 2013, 14:35   #56
BHPian

I believe the Duster is tad overpriced. The versions with safety equipment have an incredible and unnecessary asking price. If you look @ the size/shape, ride and reliability, the duster is unbeatable. But still I feel its overpriced. Although not so serious, but even Duster's have niggles like poor rubber beading, water seepage etc.

As someone said, do look @ the storme. Even I am allergic to TATA but this one seems a promising product and I would have given it a serious thought before rejecting just on the basis of brand.
Old 12th February 2013, 20:22   #57
BHPian

Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Hmmm, No Scorpio and Safari or Innova, Reliable Spares and Good Service Network.. I think that's quite an ask, have you considered Ertiga?
Given the kind of usage on a daily basis that you have mentioned FE should not be too much of a concern I believe.
Pajero's are good, and Rock Solid, however it is very difficult and expensive to maintain them. It is a tough ask to even get one serviced in cities i feel.

Yeti would be a very good option, and a good second hand Yeti would also guarantee a fair bit of peace of mind, but Skoda Service is Expensive !! Skoda Spares are expensive. However you might want to check on the service intervals of Yeti, if it is 15K Kms or once a year, that should be liveable for your driving.

While we are looking at options, one came to my mind was a pre-worshipped Captiva (don't Kill me, just came to my mind ) !! That might serve you very well and I feel it would offer you much more than a pre-worshipped Yeti at around the same price.

Give Safari Storme a Serious thought, There are some real good reviews coming in on our very own forum !!
  • Haha, yes, I know I'm asking for quite a lot but haven't been able to find a car that hits the major sweetspots yet (looking at Ford Ecosport as the next saviour - we can put up with the odd look it has if it meets all other expectations)
  • It's the expensive Skoda service and parts that is really stopping us from going 100% for a second-hand Yeti actually
  • The Pajeros are too dated and too butch for what we need. Plus my wife has to drive it as well
  • Would you care to elaborate on the Captiva idea? I haven't really followed the reviews of that car because brand-new, it is way outside our budget. I've always liked its looks however
  • We will give the Storme another look-see though I still think that in the end, it might be too much car for us (plus, its way over the 10%+INR 1 million limit that we've set for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I believe the Duster is tad overpriced. The versions with safety equipment have an incredible and unnecessary asking price. If you look @ the size/shape, ride and reliability, the duster is unbeatable. But still I feel its overpriced. Although not so serious, but even Duster's have niggles like poor rubber beading, water seepage etc.

As someone said, do look @ the storme. Even I am allergic to TATA but this one seems a promising product and I would have given it a serious thought before rejecting just on the basis of brand.
  • Agree with you on Duster pricing. Hoping that the Ford EcoSport introduction (isnt March the consensus date?) will result in some softening in prices (hopefully the Budget won't have any nasty surprises)
Old 12th February 2013, 20:46   #58
BHPian

If Nissan launches its own version of the Duster, It may be competitively priced. Scala>Sunny .. Pulse>Micra. The wait for the Ford EcoSport Petrol could be a good option, especially in your scenario, where you need to keep the car for a long time with low running/month.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:31   #59
BHPian

Duster clutch is a little hard - but can be managed. At least my wife felt she would be able to drive it.
It is overpriced now though, so is Storme (more due to a lack of EX 4x4).
Old 13th February 2013, 08:23   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Duster clutch is a little hard - but can be managed. At least my wife felt she would be able to drive it.
Check out the differences in clutch hardness between the 5 gear (85) and 6 gear (110) versions. I think the 5-gear one is lighter.

Last edited by ampere : 13th February 2013 at 08:39.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed