Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 14:37   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

Can someone please guide me to a thread that compares the Duster 85 vs Duster 110? I drive mostly in the city with a few highways thrown in once in a while. As such 85 is good enough for me. But is it underpowered by any chance? Overtaking out of a crazy situation in the city where I am sandwiched between two competing buses is something I have to do very often. Is the 85 powerful enough for those kind of situations? What about its hill climbing abilities?
Old 30th September 2013, 15:09   #137
BHPian

Please visit the official review of T-BHP
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
The 85 is said to have better driveability due to absence of turbo lag whereas 110 has loads of it. If you are looking to drive mostly in the cities the 85 would be a better option.
Old 30th September 2013, 15:28   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Can someone please guide me to a thread that compares the Duster 85 vs Duster 110? I drive mostly in the city with a few highways thrown in once in a while. As such 85 is good enough for me. But is it underpowered by any chance? Overtaking out of a crazy situation in the city where I am sandwiched between two competing buses is something I have to do very often. Is the 85 powerful enough for those kind of situations? What about its hill climbing abilities?
Hello

I am currently driving an 85 PS for last 2 months. I did a test ride of 110 also and found 85 ps more suited for in-city driving. On highway, 110 ps is a better performer. You won't however feel the 85 ps underpowered by any standards. Here are the key points:

- 85 PS has a softer clutch
- 85 PS has 5 gears, 110 PS has 6 of them.
- 85 PS would get you slightly better mileage figures.
- 85 PS has no turbo lag whereas 110 has it.

Best would be to do a back to back test ride of both vehicles for atleast 5 KMs and then decided. Any current owner may be biased towards their choice, just like the way I sound in the post above.

Last edited by noopster : 30th September 2013 at 18:22. Reason: Fixed typo: 100 PS--->110 PS :)
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 15:51   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please guide me to a thread that compares the Duster 85 vs Duster 110? I drive mostly in the city with a few highways thrown in once in a while. As such 85 is good enough for me. But is it underpowered by any chance? Overtaking out of a crazy situation in the city where I am sandwiched between two competing buses is something I have to do very often. Is the 85 powerful enough for those kind of situations?
I haven't come across any thread that gives a clear cut 110 vs 85. A detail read will give some insight on the Official Review
The feature comparison on renault site will give you enough info between the variants; apart from that let me try summarise it for you:

Engine:
110 has a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo engine with a slightly higher compression ratio.
85 is a naturally aspirated FGT (Fixed Geometry Turbo) engine with literally no turbo lag.

Features:
110 ABS+ESP+EBD and dual airbags are standard.
85 gets these safety features only in the top end RXL (option pack)

Performance:
110 has an initial turbo lag like most VGT engines out there. But once you are in turbo range, this engine is a performer. This is a great highway cruiser because of the 6th gear. The noise levels are lower given the lower rpm. This also allows it to have ample power for a quick overtake at triple digit speeds.

85 is a very capable car. Great for city drive due to non-existant turbo lag. On highway it is a pretty decent runner and reaches triple digits in a jiffy too. Tough I didnt clock it the 85 takes a takes longer time making it from 90 to 140kmph. Quick overtakes in city at lower speeds is easier for this fellow. It will give others a head start when the signal goes green.

Handling:
Both are similar at a constant speed.
The 110 gives a better kick for fun and highway overtaking.

Mileage:
Although the manufacturer claims higher figure for 85, it varies on your drive and IMO, there is no big difference here.

Rear Tower A/C:
Good thing it is not available in the plus variant so you can chose to have it or ignore it.

Quote:
What about its hill climbing abilities?
A fellow Bhpian has done a recent 8500km round trip to Leh, without breaking a sweat on an 85 RXL(O). Link to his post.

I my self have done the 36 hairpin bends on Bangalore-Ooty trip and enjoyed it all the way up

In short, between the two 85 will beat city traffic better than 110 and 110 is a better highway cruiser.
My recommendation for you would be the 85ps.

Last edited by HillMan : 30th September 2013 at 16:19.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 16:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
110 ABS+ESP+EBD and dual airbags are standard.
To correct you here, the 110 does have the ABS+EBD as standard but it doesn't have the airbags as standard. The 110 RXL has no airbags and if you want airbags you have to get the RXZ variant.

ESP is absent in all variants sold in India.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 17:03   #141
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Hillman - that's very comprehensive. I guess I will have to TD both. But the price difference is quite a bit. And coolboy007 is correct about ABS+EBD. Thanks to you too.
Thanks Pahwa. I didn't see your report while I responded above. I agree that a back to back TD is the best thing to do. I have always driven petrol vehicles with responsive engines. I am not sure I will appreciate a turbo lag.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 30th September 2013 at 17:05.
Old 30th September 2013, 17:03   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
To correct you here, the 110 does have the ABS+EBD as standard but it doesn't have the airbags as standard. The 110 RXL has no airbags and if you want airbags you have to get the RXZ variant.

ESP is absent in all variants sold in India.
Thanks for correction.
ABS+EBD+Brake Assist is what they mention on Renault site.

Dual Front Airbags are available in 110 RXL

See equipment comparison for variants at Renault India site. http://www.renault.co.in/cars/Duster/equipment.html

Quote:
85 is a very capable car. Great for city drive due to non-existant turbo lag. On highway it is a pretty decent runner and reaches triple digits in a jiffy too. Tough I didnt clock it the 85 takes a takes longer time making it from 90 to 140kmph. Quick overtakes in city at lower speeds is easier for this fellow. It will give others a head start when the signal goes green.

Correction to last line on my para: The 85ps will give you a head start when the signal goes green
Old 30th September 2013, 18:27   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Engine:
110 has a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo engine with a slightly higher compression ratio.
85 is a naturally aspirated FGT (Fixed Geometry Turbo) engine with literally no turbo lag.
Slight but significant correction here. Both variants of the Duster use the same K9K engine, albeit in different states of tune. As correctly stated, they come in FGT and VGT configuration for the 85 and 110 ps but both these are turbo-charged.
The 85ps Duster is not an NA engine and though the turbo lag is not very perceptible, it isn't "literally" absent

Last edited by noopster : 30th September 2013 at 18:31. Reason: Added linky
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 18:58   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Slight but significant correction here.
Thanks for correction. Made me read some more, found some info on it.

The 85ps & 110ps have same compression. The additional power is from the VGT, turbo rpm and increased fuel pressure. The pistons are built stronger to accommodate the extra power and so is its gearbox. More details here.

Right. Not literally
Quote from official review: While the Duster 110 only really wakes up after 2,000 – 2,200 rpm, the Duster 85 pulls clean from as low as 1,200 rpm. The engine behaves like a naturally-aspirated diesel! Translated, you’ll seldom need to downshift within the city.

Last edited by HillMan : 30th September 2013 at 19:08.
Old 30th September 2013, 23:22   #145
Team-BHP Support

Behaving like a naturally aspirated engine doesn't mean it is naturally aspirated. A turbo engine will have some lag. Maybe least amongst all turbos, still...

And on paper, it is not naturally aspirated, so lets leave it at that
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 19:15   #146
BHPian

But because you are so close to Terrano price announcement, I'd also suggest to wait a bit. I dont expect waiting period on this one.

Well, I waited for the Terrano and I think it will be worth the wait. Plan to make the booking tomorrow. No test drive vehicles available but I think it should be okay since I drove the Duster 85. Looking at the XL+ with ABS etc.
Old 1st November 2013, 21:46   #147
BHPian

Gentlemen, believe me that the Terrano was worth the wait. I picked up my 85 PS XL+ this evening and I love it. Once I replace the music system and add things like floor mats and mud flaps, I am all set. I also plan to put in a DieselTronic system after I complete 3k KM or so. Do the experts have advice or comments on the subject?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th November 2013 at 09:42. Reason: Edited quote tag.
Old 1st November 2013, 23:01   #148
BHPian

I wouldn't go for DieselTronic for 85ps. Which I believe is already at its best tune from factory.

The other reason is that the 5 speed transmission is designed for 200nm torque. Which the 85ps already delivers. Increasing toque might do more harm.

For music system, if you are only going for speakers then look for amplifier as well for best effect.

Last edited by HillMan : 1st November 2013 at 23:06.
Old 5th November 2013, 22:12   #149
BHPian

Quote:
For music system, if you are only going for speakers then look for amplifier as well for best effect.
Thanks, HillMan. Jury is out on the Diesel Tronic but I hear you on the best state of tune. Re the music system, I am a major audiophile so I have installed a Kenwood in-dash DVD player, Cerwin Vega 4-Channel amplifier, Focal component speakers in the front and focal co-axials in the rear doors. The amp will also drive a 12" Focal sub-woofer. I am integrating a reverse camera with the DVD screen. I ran out of money otherwise I would also have installed a monobloc amplifier only for the sub .

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th November 2013 at 09:41. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 5th November 2013, 23:08   #150
A.R
BHPian

No offence but...

Duster, Terrano an SUV?

Ok, I've driven all of the cars in discussion in this thread and keep driving every other vehicle possible

Duster/Terrano - Key points:
- its got the best suspension one can get under 20l
- Great mileage from the 1.5L mill
- Car like control & ride
- Tin can
- Limited second row seating space (its not comfy 5 seater)
- Barebones, ridiculously low specced for the money they demand
- Nothing to WoW interiors
- Funny controls and placement

Storme:
- Want to be unique, buy this.
- Great ride, comfy
- Bland dash and interiors
- Safari's great stance atleast for me
- Landroverish looks
- Electrical & Electronics work if they work, else they don't even if TATA wants to
- Tallboy still and Confused rear quarter styling

XUV: Well I won one. So I'm gonna be biased hehe
- Terrible suspension setup (hard)
- Amazing drive ability and grip, A modern jeep
- Notchy gearing, too short 1st gear ratio
- Torque steer (bad)
- Mileage (ooh pinchs)
- Atrociously spacious, in the good way
- Better, much better build compared to its fellow SUVs and wannabees
- Electronics, supposedly unreliable but I have had no issues (touch wood)
- Features, Gizmos and Options till you feel bored
- Safety (6 airbags), ABS, ESP, EBD etc etc
- Road Presence (oh boy)
- Very good response & service, till now

Scorpio:
- A more reliable, proven Mahindra jeep
- Tall, unsettled ride. I would never confidently take corners at good speed
- Raw power, pickup
- Decent mileage
- Affordable cost of maintainance
- Cramped interiors
- Will you buy the 4x4 or the automatic (stopped now?)

Any other vehicle you want to compare?
A.R is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks