Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 16:00   #1
AGP
BHPian

An SUV with a CNG kit?

Hi Friends,

I have maruti zen 2002 model and converted into CNG 7 months back.

I am very much impressed by the fuel economy (21 km in city and 25 km on Highways) my car gives. My daily running is approx. 55 km. Monthly running could even cross 2000 km. Hence lots of savings over the petrol bills.

I am now looking to upgrade my car by Sedan or compact SUV. However my requirement is to put CNG kit in the very first Month of the purchase. I understand that it will void the warranty but I am game for it. (It saves me approx. Rs. 8000-9000 monthly).

Friends, I would like to know whether there is any special kit availavle for SUV? or any conventional CNG kit like Lovato (which is installed in my zen) would do? What can be the maximum size of CNG cylinder available in the market (I have 14 kg fitted in Zen - Actual gas is ~10 kg).

Have you come across such CNG fitted SUVs? I am thinking of Renault Duster (Petrol version) or Quanto (Petrol).

Please guide me on the same.

Thanks,

Anil

Last edited by AGP : 28th September 2012 at 16:02.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:25   #2
BHPian

Re: CAn CNG kit be fitted in today's SUV?

Unfortunately there is no petrol Quanto.

Apart from Duster, you could also check out Ertiga and Innova petrol as possible candidates for CNGfication.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:37   #3
BHPian

Why not pick up a diesel sedan/SUV/Hatch or you're certain that the diesel prices will skyrocket soon? Considering that a typical good level CNG install will cost you 50K, paying 1L extra for a diesel to maintain your warranty and performance seems a goof idea?
Yes, the diesel running is 'more expensive' than the CNG, but think of the other benefits, like resale, performnace, space, long cng ques, warranty.

As far as I know, the CNG limit is 12 or 14Kg for a vehicle, so bigger than that is not possible legally.
I've seen a few CNG running CRV's and Gypsy's. Haven't driven either, so can't comment much on the performance (or the lack of it) but it's been done before, so shouldn't be much of a problem.
Doesn't Masruti offer it's CNG for the Ertiga P? That'd be company installed, hence no warranty hassle.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:40   #4
BHPian

IMHO If you are open for "Sedan OR SUV", and CNG is absolute priority, than sedan makes more sense.

Also since you are OK for warranty getting void, best bet would be pre owned petrol sedan with very low (<20K) run.

Main advantages is that, even after accommodating CNG cylinder, There would be some boot space left.

Also What I believe is that most of the CNG kits for car works only with petrol engine.

Innova , Duster and Ertiga are only *UVs with petrol variants.

For SUVs, Technically , fitting a CNG kit should not be an issue, but after CNG cylinder, the luggage space would be seriously compromised.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:40   #5
AGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Unfortunately there is no petrol Quanto.

Apart from Duster, you could also check out Ertiga and Innova petrol as possible candidates for CNGfication.
Thanks for your response,

Ertiga does not appeal me especially because of their tyre size, it does not look like SUV. About Innova, it is a very reliable SUV but just that it is so common. May not provide me a distinct identity.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not hunt down a good pre-owned Vitara, Outlander or CRV? and then install the CNG kit. Or are you planning on getting a new car only? In which case it would make sense to go get a factory fitted CNG one like the SX4.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 16:52   #7
AGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Why not pick up a diesel sedan/SUV/Hatch or you're certain that the diesel prices will skyrocket soon? Considering that a typical good level CNG install will cost you 50K, paying 1L extra for a diesel to maintain your warranty and performance seems a goof idea?
Yes, the diesel running is 'more expensive' than the CNG, but think of the other benefits, like resale, performnace, space, long cng ques, warranty.

As far as I know, the CNG limit is 12 or 14Kg for a vehicle, so bigger than that is not possible legally.
I've seen a few CNG running CRV's and Gypsy's. Haven't driven either, so can't comment much on the performance (or the lack of it) but it's been done before, so shouldn't be much of a problem.
Doesn't Masruti offer it's CNG for the Ertiga P? That'd be company installed, hence no warranty hassle.
Yes I believe that Diesel price will go obviously go high in future. Known that CNG cost in mumbai is approx. Rs. 33.41 and in diesel cost ~ 60 and my home town is Gujarat where CNG is at Rs. 50. It makes a lot of sense for me to go for CNG then Diesel.

I do agree about warranty, comfort or space issues but I don't want to keep worrying about driving petrol or diesel car on high fuel cost whenever I want to drive it. Rather CNG will give a freedom to drive as and when you feel like. I stopped using my honda bike (it gives me avg of 38 km per ltr of petrol i.e 1.97 Rs/km) and started using car every where (with Rs. 1.5 Rs./km cost).

Yes, sedan would be another option other than SUV. Pre-owned sedan or SUV is also a good option. I would however love to buy used sedan or SUV and then fit the CNG kit, however finance would be a problem.

For new car, I can get a car loan, but for pre-owned car, I have to pay cash or take personal loan and pay. However, the option is not rulled out. Will definately keep looking for good conditioned petrol sedan or SUV for the same.

Why I prefered SUV over sedan purely based on ground clearance. My driving is slighlt rough and at speed breaker or pathols (Which is very common in Mumbai) it regularly take a toll of the floor chasis.

I even thought of SX4 but heard that it's fuel economy is very bad even with CNG, I have to confirm it.

Thanks for your responses.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th September 2012 at 18:30. Reason: Back to back posts.
AGP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 17:08   #8
BHPian

If budget permits, City CNG can be a good option,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...er-2012-a.html

Last edited by Vishal.R : 28th September 2012 at 17:11.
Old 28th September 2012, 19:18   #9
BHPian

re: A CNG SUV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
Hi Friends,

I have maruti zen 2002 model and converted into CNG 7 months back.

I am very much impressed by the fuel economy (21 km in city and 25 km on Highways) my car gives. My daily running is approx. 55 km. Monthly running could even cross 2000 km. Hence lots of savings over the petrol bills.

I am now looking to upgrade my car by Sedan or compact SUV. However my requirement is to put CNG kit in the very first Month of the purchase. I understand that it will void the warranty but I am game for it. (It saves me approx. Rs. 8000-9000 monthly).
Why not check out the Aveo CNG? Instead of ruining your warranty on the new car its better check the factory fitted options. Also as Vishal. R says if budget permits City CNG is worth waiting.
chinmaybaikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 00:21   #10
BHPian

Re: An SUV with a CNG kit?

IMO, you should go for a 2008-09 model Grand Vitara or CRV.
1. You can find one at dirt cheap price.
2. No warranty, so no worry of voiding one.
3. These are fully Japanese, ultra-reliable cars, so I believe you can easily use one for next 5-7 years without having much of troubles.
4. If you can afford a much a better product from a higher segment or two, why to go for likes of Innova or Ertiga? I am not implying that these cars are any inferior, it is just that they cost half as much as a CRV costs.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:42   #11
BHPian

If you want an SUV with space, look for an older version of the grand vitara XL7. You should get some good examples for approx 4-5 lakhs. You can remove the last row of seats to fit your CNG cylinder + have a lot of space remaining for luggage. With 166 horses on tap running on CNG, you can literally have your cake and eat it too.
Old 15th November 2012, 17:28   #12
AGP
BHPian

I came across from some online blog that it is possible to fit CNG kit in Ertiga without actually removing the rear seat??

I wonder whether that is really a truth..! has anybody came across such fitting n Ertiga?

Would love to see the picture (images) of such CNG fitting in Ertiga?

Regards,

Anil
Old 15th November 2012, 19:54   #13
BHPian

I am a CNG user in Delhi and will suggest a diesel vis a vis CNG. It gives you a longer range, peace of mind as warranty doesnt get void, no compromise on space and overall no alteration to the car.

Surprising that CNG in Mumbai is cheaper as its Rs. 38 per Kg in Delhi.
WanderNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 21:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

With a 14kg cylinder none of the Petrol converted into CNG SUV will last more than 150kms per tank. Performance will not be a match to Diesel counterparts.

SX4 CNG is a good option, with generous GC.
Old 18th November 2012, 19:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

CNG prices are rising monotonically, so do not expect CNG to lag behind Diesel in price. Already the running cost of my friend's CNG Wagon R is up from RS.0.6/km to beyond Rs.2.0/km.

With a heavy SUV your cost will be more in the range of RS.5/km+, which puts it in Diesel territory. Add to that limited range and paucity of CNG outside metros your SUV will be "City Bound" for all practical purpose, in which case a hatch or a sedan makes more sense.

As CNG powered engine has much lower power, your SUV will take ages to accelerate (more like a moped).

On the whole you will be better off with a Factory Fitted CNG Sedan, both in terms of warranty (and peace of mind) and performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks