Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 11:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Hitanshu - Why isn't the Bolero ZLX a candidate? I know it doesn't have ABS, but it ain't a speed monster either. It is quite frugal, spacious and very reliable. It would be very cheap to maintain in the longer run although you would need to worry most to stop it from getting stolen.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 11:25   #47
Team-BHP Support

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Hitanshu - Why isn't the Bolero ZLX a candidate? I know it doesn't have ABS, but it ain't a speed monster either. It is quite frugal, spacious and very reliable. It would be very cheap to maintain in the longer run although you would need to worry most to stop it from getting stolen.
The Bolero had a crazy design issue with the locks.
The fuel cover had a key hole. So all a thief had to do was remove it. Take it to a safe place. Crack the lock and make his own key.
Come back to the vehicle. Open the doors and drive it away.

This has been addressed in the new models with an immobilizer key.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The Bolero had a crazy design issue with the locks.
The fuel cover had a key hole. So all a thief had to do was remove it. Take it to a safe place. Crack the lock and make his own key.
Come back to the vehicle. Open the doors and drive it away.

This has been addressed in the new models with an immobilizer key.
Ok. While that may have been addressed, it still is the target of many theft attempts, primarily because of the huge demand that this vehicle has in Bihar and UP rural areas.

The reason, however, I brought in the Bolero was because the recent edition would tick many (not all) boxes on Hitanshu's checklist, although I know the vehicle is not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:17   #49
BHPian

Won't be the Bolero crude (Ride & Ergonomics wise)? I guess its a good rugged vehicle for rural- semi-rural areas. But for city driving where the vehicle would be shared by his wife and would be parked @ the basement, its not well suited.

For a city/daily office commutes,the car should be comfortable,refined and ergonomically perfect and should be easier to park around.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 17:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason, however, I brought in the Bolero was because the recent edition would tick many (not all) boxes on Hitanshu's checklist, although I know the vehicle is not everyone's cup of tea.
It is good, but the handling, braking etc is nowhere in the same area code. I would now not settle for handling worse than a scorpio. Plus the basement parking is a darned pain. The interiors dont have as much usable space either. The ZLX is 7.2L ex-showroom. I would much rather buy a top end verito in that price (and save 12k while i'm at it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Won't be the Bolero crude (Ride & Ergonomics wise)? I guess its a good rugged vehicle for rural- semi-rural areas. But for city driving where the vehicle would be shared by his wife and would be parked @ the basement, its not well suited.

For a city/daily office commutes,the car should be comfortable,refined and ergonomically perfect and should be easier to park around.
The wife does not use it nor does she intend to, either However, the option should be open. Something like a getaway will be too painful or a bolero will be too rustic to be seen driving in, ever. (even if once in a blue moon).

Somehow the wife is completely against the Scorpio 4x4 both on the mileage and 4x4 perspective. Having interacted extensively with Tanveer & his wife - she does not plan us doing those kinda adventures at all. I mean its great to read, but we're not doing their level ice rides

So in all chance, it would most likely be a sedan since she does talk about the lack of space from a touring perspective. If only Maruti made the vista and offered a tata style warranty :|

Last edited by phamilyman : 5th October 2012 at 17:18.
Old 5th October 2012, 19:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

IMO Hitanshu, the Bolero handles way better than the Scorpio, although the ride quality of the latter is somewhat better. Also, the interiors have been significantly spruced up with the latest edition. You should consider one test ride I guess. It is more than enough spacious for your needs and very reliable.
The engine power has been significantly reduced in the ZLX and the braking more than suffices now, while the driveability still remains.
Verito is great IMO, from the perspective of a five year Logan owner; a rock solid vehicle, but if I were to buy a sedan today, the Sunny would be what I pick.
Old 5th October 2012, 22:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Verito is great IMO, from the perspective of a five year Logan owner; a rock solid vehicle, but if I were to buy a sedan today, the Sunny would be what I pick.
And why? One is 7.14 ex-, other is 8.1L ex-. Why would you pay 14% more now? even the stalks are on the right side now (thanks mahindra!!)
Old 6th October 2012, 17:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

So I slept in the Evalia today, sprawled in the Sunny and rampaged speed breakers with the Verito. The verito is 7.5L on road today. I am at a loss of words. The swift diesel costs as much, has endless waiting! It is definitely not as sharp as the swift but isnt a slouch either. The gear box is slushy though and the clutch was a bit green but i enjoyed it.
Old 6th October 2012, 21:52   #54
BHPian

So after the TD how would you evaluate the sunny and the verito? What's your take? The premium which you would pay for the sunny over the verito is justified?

I feel that In looks and interior fit & finish department there is no contest between the two. The Sunny wins as a single sided cricket match. On the space front, the verito would offer wider cabin while the sunny would offer a longer cabin.
Old 8th October 2012, 12:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

So, Hitanshu, what is your take on the Evalia, overall? If I decide to move on from my trusty old Logan sometime next year, I'd be taking a hard look at the Evalia myself. That's the reason I am asking.

Regarding the Verito, all I'll say is, if you want a No-Nonsense car, that can take a hell of a lot of abuse, and transport you around in comfort, then go for it. If you want more comfort and better interiors, with the same reliability, go for the Sunny.
One place where Sunny would surely lose out to the Verito is in it's ride quality over bad roads and ability to withstand bad roads. Verito can just jog over pot holes without breaking anything. But, from an overall refinement perspective the Sunny would win. Take your pick on how much premium you are willing to pay for that refinement.
Old 20th October 2012, 23:28   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, Hitanshu, what is your take on the Evalia, overall? If I decide to move on from my trusty old Logan sometime next year, I'd be taking a hard look at the Evalia myself. That's the reason I am asking.

Regarding the Verito, all I'll say is, if you want a No-Nonsense car, that can take a hell of a lot of abuse, and transport you around in comfort, then go for it. If you want more comfort and better interiors, with the same reliability, go for the Sunny.
One place where Sunny would surely lose out to the Verito is in it's ride quality over bad roads and ability to withstand bad roads. Verito can just jog over pot holes without breaking anything. But, from an overall refinement perspective the Sunny would win. Take your pick on how much premium you are willing to pay for that refinement.
So I wanted to update this thread. i LOVED the sunny. Its very nice to drive - a balanced car that is both quite eager (more refined and quicker than swift) and more settled on bad roads than the swift. The interiors are very nice and the brakes were okay too. The problem is that outside the interiors, I find myself wondering why I shouldn't save 1.4 L and get much superior bad road quality?

and here is the KICKER: Nissan Sunny's turbocharger costs 1.1 LAKHS! Yessir! Fog lamps cost 15000!!

Aside from that its, quite reasonable, with bumpers costing 4/3k, HL/TL being 3500 apiece,
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 05:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

So who gets your business now?

By the way which turbocharger is doing service in the Sunny to cost 1.1 L! That is very exorbitant...
Old 21st October 2012, 08:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

and here is the KICKER: Nissan Sunny's turbocharger costs 1.1 LAKHS! Yessir!
TC is a expensive part in any car. Whats the cost of SWIFT D TC ?
F150 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 09:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
TC is a expensive part in any car. Whats the cost of SWIFT D TC ?
14k including taxes.

In SX4 (VGT etc), it is 35k. Compare that with 1.1 Lakh!

The warranty is the same as Maruti - Nissan had to keep atleast warranty much cheaper for the customers to switch happily. As of now, I am honestly confused.

On a side note, the car purchase may be delayed an year. The car got a 100% fitness certificate (as a matter of speech) from the Apra folks so I am thinking of using the car downpayment cash for a home loan retirement instead.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 09:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

There is no one perfect car which can obviously satisfy all people. A balance will need to be stricken by you. Don't over complicate matters otherwise you will land up more confused than when you first started out. The car that fits your lifestyle perfectly is the Yeti. But that comes with a iffy service backup and over shoots your budget too. Next is the Innova which you will start loving month after month for its reliability. Then comes the Diesel Vento which should fit your budget. It ticks most boxes right, except perhaps the poor after sales. Also give a look to the new Safari Storme. It's under stated but extremely high on ride quality (maybe the best amongst this lot), low running costs and now supposedly better reliability. It fits in your budget too.

Best of luck.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed