Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2006, 15:40   #1
BHPian

What SUV-New/Used?

Hi, I am planning to buy an SUV, and need some technical advice on that.
- My basic reason for buying an SUV is safety for my husband who drives around 150 kms everyday for work, and at times he drives in the night. Since I do not trust delhi driving I want him to shift from his current car (Ford Icon) to an SUV.
- Second reason for buying an SUV is that we do a lot of highway driving, mostly every second week and many a times we drive at the night, so SUV is of course a better option. And everytime we travel, our 6 months old lab retriever is along with us. Though he is ok in a car also, but SUV would give him more space to stretch his legs in a 12hour long journey.
These are my concerns:
- I have shortlisted only 2 SUV'sright now, as I have little knowledge of indian car market, these are - Scorpio and Safari. Though I would like to know about others also, but am not able to get the right resource.
- Tata Safari comes in my budget and is a decent car, as I do not like the look of the new scorpio, but am still unsure if its fine to just go ahead and buy that without thinking much.
- I am also trying to lay my hands on second hand options for SUV, but dont know about reliable sources for that.
- And even if I am able to find a reliable source, is it alright to buy a second hand disel car.
I would highly appriciate if you can help me make up my mind to buy one. Or if you can let me know the direct sources of information. Its difficult to make your mind after reading on the internet, as you never know how authantic the writeup is. If you could tell me from experience I would really appriciate that.
Thanks & Regards,
Girlieonwheels.
Old 1st May 2006, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whats your budget?....
Old 1st May 2006, 15:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at Ford Endevour and Hyundai Tucosn..
Old 1st May 2006, 16:04   #4
bhp
BHPian

the new scorpio is way better than the safari .......
Old 1st May 2006, 16:52   #5
BHPian

Thank you Dceite and all the others.
My budget is somewhere around 7.5 lakhs to 8 lakhs.
Old 5th May 2006, 13:31   #6
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am getting a used 2003 Scorpio H1 (base) model through a used car dealer for 5.1 lac asking price with a years warranty on engine and transmission. It has done 50000kms. Please do let me know what things to look in for to make sure its a good buy and is the price asked ok..?

Help
Old 5th May 2006, 14:09   #7
BHPian

Avoid buying base models is what I'd say - especially for a car that will be the daily drive besides being used frequently for getaways.
Besides, the price being quoted does seem to be quite steep - this month's Top Gear magazine states that used Scorpios (2002~2004) can be had for between 3.25 to 5.0 lac, depending on the model. Choose between the 'DX' and the 'SLX'.
Here's a link to the Scorpio variants:
http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/scorp..._Variants.aspx

If you do decide to buy a used Scorpio (or a Safari for that matter), do ensure that you buy the versions that have a Common Rail Diesel engine, known as the CRDe in the Scorpio and the Dicor in the Safari.

Give the non-Dicor Safari a wiiide berth, it's engine performance leaves a lot to be desired. Dicor Safaris were introduced sometime in 2005, so if you're looking at a used Safari, it will have to be a mid 2005 or newer model.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

* The Scorpio has a problem with stability at high speeds, with an uncomfortable amount of body roll
* If you're looking at seating capacity, then the Scorpio is the one to choose.
* If you're looking at comfort, then the Safari easily takes the crown. - the Scorpio is rather cramped

I'd suggest you and/or the hubby test drive both cars and let your experience help you choose between them.
Old 5th May 2006, 15:43   #8
BHPian

5 lacs for a 2003 Scorpio is too high.

For 8 lacs you could buy a brand new Scorpio but not the Slx variant. The Scorpio has a good engine and performance but sucks in space whereas the Safari is spacious but its engine is old and dated.

If you could stretch your budget to 10 lakhs you could get good used Endeavours if you are lucky. Do not take any decision before driving any of these cars.
Old 5th May 2006, 15:56   #9
BHPian

Yup, 5 Lakh for a 2003 base scorpio is a bit too much.. You should better check out the new scorpio itself.. Compared to Safari, better to go in for Scorpio in my opinion..
Endeavor is good, but I've heard the fuel efficiency is quite low (6-8 or so) and adds up to your running cost, and cost of spares for ford is also quite high..
So Scorpio all the way..
Old 5th May 2006, 16:03   #10
BHPian

Safari Dicor is a much better vehicle than a Scorpio. Scorpio is a Jeep modified into an SUV while Dicor is a SUV right from the word go.

If you have a big family 5+ people only then Scorpio makes sense but that too with little high speed risks.

if u want a good second hand vehicle pls contact me at 9811135883, i have some friends who deal with these cars.
Old 6th May 2006, 16:38   #11
BHPian

the base level safari dicor will cost a bit more than 8L but i've heard the DICOR engine is not too refined, some reviews compare it to a steam engine and say the earlier engine was far smoother. you probably also won't get any DICORs in the used car market since it is too new. so you could look at the euro 3 safari TDCi LX (they still sell Safaris with the old engine) or the new Scorpio CRDe. i'd choose the safari TDCi for its looks and handling, but make your own judgement.

you could also look at a second hand Octavia Diesel for the following reasons:- (1) the car is built like a tank, you'll never feel safer; (2) if you fold up the rear seats, there's enough space in the rear for your dog and his pals as well; and (3) a 150 km daily drive deserves an 18 kmpl FE just from a national resource standpoint.
Old 6th May 2006, 18:17   #12
BHPian

Test drive the FIAT Adventure. It thoroughly fits your requirements. Fiat's service is improving after the FIAT-TATA tie up.
Its 5.6 ex showroom which makes it very good value for money.
If you can extend your budget, then go ahead with either scorpio or Safari (preferably the higher end versions, since lower end versions quite make you feel low end forever! )
Old 6th May 2006, 19:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

150 kms every day,will need a very comfortable SUV.

I'd suggest a Safari DiCor, Toyota Innova or a scorpio.
Old 6th May 2006, 19:59   #14
BHPian

hey girlieonwheels..!
the first hing is that a old scorpio of 2003 model is just not worth spendin 5.1 lakh's..

why don't u prefer to buy a brand new suv..??
if ur budget is somewhere around 7.5 lakhs to 8 lakhs,then u should go for the new scorpioor the TATA safari Diacor..!!
they both have killer look's... soo the choice is ur's.......!!!
Old 7th May 2006, 02:02   #15
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hey whats with the SUV talk ... are u going offroading ? Scorpio is a bad handler and the seats are upright (read : unconfortable)... If there is no offroading involved check out INNOVA ... i'm sure ur LAB would love it too and then its a TOYOTA...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks