Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Buying a pre-owned Ford Endeavour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrusso View Post
Hi!
Looking forward also to buy a used Ford Endeavour. Came across 2nd gen examples. One is with 80k (2011) on Odo & the other is with 99k (2007) on the odo!!! Both are AT's.
regards,
Arvind.
Just with a test drive (presumably), you could find out so many problems, imagine once you become an owner of that car!!

An honest opinion - stay away from it!! Put some more money and buy a lesser used (read 'abused') vehicle else opt for something else and have peace of mind.
verma_rahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:54   #47
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
Looking forward also to buy a used Ford Endeavour. Came across 2nd gen examples. One is with 80k (2011) on Odo & the other is with 99k (2007) on the odo!!! Both are AT's.
One does have a little bit of kicking forward at starting throttles & when the speed picks up, there is no kicking, all is smooth. This car also has silencer pipe rattles. Does have electric problems & A/c working with only hot air blowing !!!
What this can be? Any inputs are welcomed.

regards,
Arvind.
I would suggest that you stick to ones post the year 2010 due to the age factor.

Only buy a vehicle with all issues sorted out. The Dealer will generally solve issues like AC etc.

the condition that you mention seems to indicate a tampered ODO meter.

Look for the service history to verify genuine kms.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 20:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
One does have a little bit of kicking forward at starting throttles & when the speed picks up, there is no kicking, all is smooth. This car also has silencer pipe rattles. Does have electric problems & A/c working with only hot air blowing !!!
What this can be? Any inputs are welcomed.

regards,
Arvind.
Ford Endeavor AT wasn't available for sale in 2007. It was launched in 2010 I guess.

Do cross check the year again.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:27   #49
BHPian

Bumping this old thread as I leave for checking out a 2011 AT 3.0 Endy. Is the spare parts pricing of this car very expensive? Any other pointers to look out for?
Old 21st November 2018, 00:28   #50
BHPian

Hi Guys,

An old friend of mine is selling his Endy. 2010 model. 3.0L AT. Run 53K Kms. Asking price is 6.0L. He has taken good care of the Endy and from the pics he has sent the exterior looks immaculate.
I am tempted to pick this up for highway use only.
Is there anything in particular to look out for in an old(er) Endy?
How good is the suspension on bad roads? I have seen reports about the suspension being very harsh and the car "seems to self destruct" on bad roads. How true are these remarks. A comfortable suspension (glide over bad roads) is very important to me.
How effective is the A.C. Is there sufficient cooling in the back seats?
How expensive are the spares?
Any suggestions / advice would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 10:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
How good is the suspension on bad roads? I have seen reports about the suspension being very harsh and the car "seems to self destruct" on bad roads. How true are these remarks. A comfortable suspension (glide over bad roads) is very important to me.
One of my neighbours around 2 years back had a badly maintained Endy with him. I had the opportunity to ride with him a couple of times and ride quality was definitely on the harsh side. I'm not sure whether his suspension parts were bust but if they weren't the ride quality couldn't really be called comfortable (by car standards).

By SUV standards I'd compare it with my 2013 Fortuner. I'd say test drive it at low speed and maybe take it out for a spin on rough patches at speed above 50-60, my Fortuner shines above 60 kmph on bad roads but the low speed comfort is terrible.

But why pick an 8 yr old not so popular SUV in the first place? The parts aren't going to be readily available, any major part replacement would need time as well as money, doesn't look like you're looking for 4x4 capability as such.

You may get a well maintained 110ps Duster in this price and the ride quality is exceptional.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 23:19   #52
BHPian

So, let me revive this thread by giving the first post of 2019.

I am someone who admires the boxy looking 5 metre plus endy and the idea of owning one someday has been there on and off my mind for quite sometime but never been able to materialize, thanks to the lack of budget.

And yesterday while I was spending some lazy "at the wife's house" time on olx, came across a 2010 3.0L 4x4 AT white colour Endy that has done 73k. Price quoted on the advt is 7.75Lakh.

Jumped out of the sofa immediately and went out of the house (yes, to save myself from the wife; she will kick me if I present before her the idea of trading our 1 year old Freestyle Diesel for a 9 year old truck) and rangup the owner. He was a soft spoken pastor of a church in Tuticorin, TN. Sounded very genuine. I asked for more pics of the car and he has shared.

After seeing the pics and videos he sent, I am very tempted to go for it. Looks superb inside out except for a couple of scratches in the rear bumper. I am thinking of driving down a little more than 100 kms from where I live to have a look at this endy in person during the weekend.

I know the asking price is a bit on the higher side. What would be a good price to buy it if everything else with the cars condition looks okay?

I read here and few other places that the middle and last row seats are not comfortable and also not the best SUV in terms of ride quality over bad roads. I think I can live with those minuses.

Questions lingering in my mind and those that I am seeking advice for are

* what would be the average service cost for this model endy
* is it sensible to spend 6 or more lakh on a 9 plus year old 73k run big diesel engine car considering the lack of clarity around the fate of older vehicles post BS6 implementation
*will buying this endy become a really bad decision considering the fact that at present freestyle is my daily driver which has clocked 25k kms in little more than a year. I accept the fact that endy can't be my daily driver.

I have a second car which is a 17 year old 800 which is still running fine but lacks AC. I most likely will have to plonk an AC into it and take it out for trips around the town and to work.

I have never owned a sedan or SUV. But have always loved driving SUVs but never had the budget to buy one. My previous car was a figo diesel which I drove for 7 years and 1.6 lakh kms before parting ways with it. Learnt to drive in our little modest 800 some 17 years ago.

I would appreciate if you could help me out of this confusion. Thanks in advance for all your comments and suggestions.
Old 28th August 2019, 09:16   #53
Team-BHP Support

^ Will suggest a Pajero or a '09/'10 vintage Fortuner over this. Unless you get a car as described in #50.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 17:51   #54
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
So, let me revive this thread by giving the first post of 2019.
The Endy can be reliable but that varies from piece to piece. I would suggest you verify the service history independently. I've had issues with the gearbox not going into 5th and that was quite a nightmare and the auto box can be quite a pain to sort out.

The engine is powerful and you'll never feel short of power, looks good and drinks like a fish so be prepared for that also. Interiors age well in terms of rattles but the wood finish doesnt last.

Mine has Ironman shocks and a lift kit but comfort levels are okey-dokey . My other two vehicles are a MM540 and a Tata Safari so the Endy's comfort levels fit right in the middle!

In the end, this forum is not only about helping make the most practical choices but also encourage people to pursue cars they desire. Just don't get blinded by the personality of the vehicle alone and try being rational. Good luck with that!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 10:54   #55
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Since this thread is still active, hoping to go for a 2016 3.2 Endy in 2022 provided the government doesn't go crazy with regulations.
Old 1st November 2019, 15:14   #56
BHPian

There are a few good examples up for grabs on OLX and car trade, a friend picked up a early 2017 endy for 26.75 through olx, in maroon. The 3.2 is good buy anywhere in the 24 to 27 range IMO. Good luck
Old 13th November 2019, 23:29   #57
BHPian

I am looking at a late 2016 Model 3.2 Endy which has run 75k asking 23. It looks like a good deal, but I am worried about parts coming up for replacement. Any advise on what to look for ?
P1tBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 10:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
I am looking at a late 2016 Model 3.2 Endy which has run 75k asking 23. It looks like a good deal, but I am worried about parts coming up for replacement. Any advise on what to look for ?

The new Ford Endeavour is a lovely vehicle and the 3.2L model is an all in one package - highway cruiser, off roader etc. Even in the city it's not a pain to drive as its automatic and the steering is extremely light. All this from personal experience of owning one since 2 years. The only downside for anyone may be the average.

Coming back to the specific model, please note you have to check the service history of the car by yourself and verify if any major parts are not changed. Also check if the seller has taken extended warranty. If not you can bargain some more.

Spares may take time sometimes, as it's very subjective now because of Ford - Mahindra JV.
Old 28th January 2020, 08:09   #59
BHPian

Dear fellow uncles,

I am now an uncle myself and This is my first post in a really long time. I have finally ended 15 years of hard, offroad motorcycling on the road and have come out of it alive. My 2005 HH Karizma's registration expires later this year.
I was in the market to purchase a car that I could use to drive to and from to work as I live about 42.2 kms away from my workplace and I am not eligible for pickup and drop. I am spending close to 900 bucks on Uber each day and it is simply not sustainable.
I used to be an off-road fanatic and my bike at it's peak was shod with a Michelin T63. But now I simply can't do 84.4 kms on a 15 year old motorcycle everyday.

I only recently acquired my driver's license in 2018 (4 wheeler) and my total driving experience is about 1600 kms in an 2009 Maruti Suzuki Alto LXI driving down from Chandigarh.
So naturally my first choice was an Alto. I looked for good examples but I realised that given the Indian market people quote ridiculous prices for a car that is supposedly cheap to maintain and fuel efficient. I drove a plethora of other Marutis, Hyundai Vernas, Honda Citys, VW Polos, and an exceptional Tata Nano (I quite liked it)and I was about to finalize the deal on one of them, when I saw a shy thing in the corner, covered in dust and looking at me with big eyes. I could tell she was neglected even by the dealers who weren't even trying to keep her in shape to sell her.

Buying a pre-owned Ford Endeavour?-img_20200126_110945.jpg

They had taken out the battery presumably to prevent damage/theft I suppose. Almost all the buttons in the interior didn't function except the headlight and horn. But when I cranked her up after what i could only assume was months of neglect she violently shook into life and settled into a calm drone. It was like she told me I can still do it. Just give me a chance.
Throwing out the book on logic and reason as one normally does when it comes to a vehicle we fall in love with I arrived for a test ride the next day.

The tires were not inflated properly, but the interiors looked okay, just dirty. The car dealers started making promises of repairing everything in the car interiors before giving it to me. The side has Sara "hearts" Hamza scratched into it. Endearing indeed as that nomenclature stirred something deep within me to love story from my early twenties.

As I depressed the clutch and slotted her into first gear, she was smoother than anything I had driven before (Note - the Maruti Suzuki Alto) and I fell in love with the burbling way she shot ahead. As I slowly accelerated and tried changing gears at a higher rpm i noticed a whistling sound that I heard many times in the kitchen. This was turbocharged. I dont know what that really means but Turbo = "make go fast" is what I presumed.

I drove around for an hour after filling some diesel. The car dealer guy next to me and a friend and his wife in the rear seat because they had nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon.

As we got out of the car I noticed that the girl had a frown on her face and the guy was smiling ear to ear like an idiot. I knew I made the right choice.

I promptly asked him how much, he said 3 lacs and 15 thousand rupees. I got up and grabbing his hand to shake it violently jerked him, scaring him and my friend in the process as he felt I should bargain. I always assumed bargaining was for purchasing vegetables not a 154 bhp, 380 Nm, 2953cc Turbocharged, Ford Endeavour Thunder Plus 4x2 from 2008.
Yes I googled it.
I paid the token amount and am waiting for them to "do her up".

Issues Observed -
1) most of the switches don't work as they seem to have been disconnected or taken out (for safekeeping?)
2) The tires look okay but I'd feel safer changing them.
3) I couldn't tell if the suspension was okay but no squeaks, niggles or rattles noticed. No weird noises except my friend's wife in the rear. Although she doesn't come with the car and can be easily removed.
4) Headlight bulbs were some chapri white lights. Asked to remove them.
5) The front fender was molested by someone who used screws to keep it in place. (Not too sure what to do here)
6) Sara "hearts" Hamza scratched on the left rear panel although I am in two minds about letting that be there.
7) Crack in the windscreen on the driver's side.

Questions -
1) Since there is no service history, should I get the timing belt changed pronto? 60,000 kms on the odo.
2) What else should I have checked?
3) You don't choose who you fall in love with.

A thousand apologies for the long write-up. Please don't delete me.

Regards,
Pratap

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200126_110945.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	1961594

Being an uncle I'm not sure how to attach this pic properly.
Checking now.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th January 2020 at 09:14. Reason: Uncle, no back to back posts please. :-)
pratap007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 10:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a used Ford Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap007 View Post
.........as I live about 42.2 kms away from my workplace.........I am spending close to 900 bucks on Uber each day and it is simply not sustainable.............But now I simply can't do 84.4 kms on a 15 year old motorcycle everyday.
I noted some 20-25 points where I wanted to comment but let me start at your first point and let the other 'Uncles' carry on here.

Endy gives about 10Kmpl on a sunny day, say 84.4Kms/10KmPl=8.44Lts of diesel (* times 70.35Rs/Ltr) = 593.75Rs (+ possibly some toll charges? 100Rs? Just assuming you are in Thane or Dombivali or Borivali) = 700-750Rs of just the running cost per day. Add in oil, filters, brakes and tyres
and long term maintenance cost for a cycle of 10,000Kms cycle costing around 7,500-10,000Rs comes at least 0.75-1Rs per Km which is another 85~ Rs per day. Makes it 800+Rs Per day approximately.

I am not going beyond this 1st observation, not going to dwell into the authenticity of the 60K Odo, service history, Endy's 'Uber' Expensive maintenance costs on regular spares like tyres, brake pads, rotors, suspension parts, clutch, timing kits, so on and forth.

Congratulations on the 1st car...

PS - Title should rather be "Need advice on a 'Just Bought' Used Ford Endy"

Last edited by svsantosh : 28th January 2020 at 10:44.
svsantosh is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks