Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 09:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Scorpio vs...

XUV comes out as a much nicer put together product as compared to Scorpio, unless you are looking at true 4x4 XUV should suffice all your needs.

For a second i was wondering why was the question posted in the first place? Other than Budget constraints, 4x4, or rough/rugged use, the Scorpio should not be in contention at all. Am i missing something?
Old 21st December 2012, 12:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
XUV comes out as a much nicer put together product as compared to Scorpio, unless you are looking at true 4x4 XUV should suffice all your needs.

For a second i was wondering why was the question posted in the first place? Other than Budget constraints, 4x4, or rough/rugged use, the Scorpio should not be in contention at all. Am i missing something?
Hi Mayank,

The primary reason of contention was due to the niggles thread of XUV500. The question was if there are too many niggles, then is it even worth buying xuv500 or just to go with the tried and tested product like scorpio.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitarora13 View Post
The primary reason of contention was due to the niggles thread of XUV500. The question was if there are too many niggles, then is it even worth buying xuv500 or just to go with the tried and tested product like scorpio.
Amit, for all its ruggedness, let me assure you that the Scorpio is free of niggles either. I know of many cases where Scorpio owners have had to deal with minor/significant issues in service. Maybe it's just not as extensively written/documented as the XUV5OO.

I doubt any car in India comes with 100% niggle-free assurance right? You'd have to be a very very lucky customer to land a niggle-free car (over long periods of time); the odds are super slim.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:16   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Scorpio is too old, surprisingly cramped, has spartan interiors and cannot ride or handle properly. The XUV500 blows it out of the water. The only thing going for the Scorpio in this comparison is the lower price point and proper 4x4 variant (if you need it).

In your case, I'd highly recommend the XUV500 or the Duster 85. Between the two, the Duster has an advantage in the city, though I consider the XUV500 to be an overall superior product.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:17   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Duster is another option you might like to consider.
If you're looking for a nice, useful, strong, relatively inexpensive 5 seater with luggage whose main usage is going to be on city/ highway roads with a bit of "off the beaten track" I would suggest you look no further than the Duster.

Between the Scorpio and the XUV, the XUV is much more advanced and comes at a good price so it is well worth it. However it is a soft roader and has yet to settle down in terms of niggles etc. Great value pricing though considering it is a 7 seat vehicle when required or else it is an immensely capacious 5 seater with tons of luggage space in the back.

Whats the budget? Because if that is stretchable I would seriously suggest even taking a look at the Rexton and Captiva etc.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If you're looking for a nice, useful, strong, relatively inexpensive 5 seater with luggage whose main usage is going to be on city/ highway roads with a bit of "off the beaten track" I would suggest you look no further than the Duster............

........Whats the budget? Because if that is stretchable I would seriously suggest even taking a look at the Rexton and Captiva etc.
Shankar, Surprised to see that for the first time you not recommending Yeti for a good 5 seater SUV.
Hope your love for Yeti is not diminishing. I dream about owning a Yeti all the time, but the cost brings my spirits down
Old 21st December 2012, 14:37   #22

Thanks guys, this forum is rocking,

Omtoatom - yes you are right, no car is niggle free, even scorpio had braking issues for quite some time.

Shankar: Essentially this vehicle is for me only, i am stretching my budget to XUV from scorpio / safari category which was the initial budget.

Currently i drive a honda city zx exi, but always desired a SUV. Though duster is a good product, the only reason I aint interested in buying it doesn't look like a SUV but rather MUV. I dont have a luggage requirement,or a 4x4 since the quarterly outstation trips would include trips within 6-12 hour range outside of delhi. The vehicle will be primarily used within delhi for office commuting.

I have decided that I will go for XUV500, courtesy all the valuable inputs from all the members especially senior ones. Thanks guys..appreciate your help. Cheers !!
Old 21st December 2012, 15:02   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Shankar, Surprised to see that for the first time you not recommending Yeti for a good 5 seater SUV.
Hope your love for Yeti is not diminishing. I dream about owning a Yeti all the time, but the cost brings my spirits down
No worries mate. I love the Yeti. It is great for my type of needs and usage.

But it is not the ideal recommendation for someone who is considering an XUV or Scorpio. The Duster, being a tad larger than the Yeti, is more suited in that sense, than the Yeti is, as are my other recommendations such as the Captiva and the Rexton etc.

The Yeti is for someone who places a value on quality, efficiency, refinement, comfort, places the vehicle under limited off road abuse and who is happy using it as a daily driver - 2/ 3/ 4 seater plus some luggage.

It is also better suited for someone who doesn't really care about oddball, quirky styling and what others think overall about the vehicle he/ she drives but wishes to satisfy him/herself primarily.

I for one will never allow 5 persons to even sit in my Yeti all at once because it will just be too cramped and uncomfortable.

The vehicle is brilliant and versatile etc but it will never win the "super size stakes"!
Old 21st December 2012, 16:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitarora13 View Post
Though duster is a good product, the only reason I aint interested in buying it doesn't look like a SUV but rather MUV.
This is quite an outlook you have towards Duster In fact Duster would be better SUV than XUV would be. The underpinnings of Duster make it more capable in most respects than XUV literally. One back-to-back drive of both will surely give different outlook. Duster does look smallish but ain't anyway a MUV. Its rather cute SUV and not a brute one like Scorpio. You are probably worrying too much on the looks and have more macho looks set in mind.

One major disadvantage of Duster is its rear legroom space and headroom for big and tall people. This is also a reason a friend hooked onto Duster had to cancel plans for it.
Old 18th March 2013, 12:24   #25
BHPian

So Amit, what did you finally decide ?
Old 8th July 2013, 16:39   #26

XUV-W8 OR Ford EcoSport ??

My brother is driving an XUV-W8 for last 1.5 years and is looking for alternate options..

Is it advisable idea to replace it by Ford EcoSport diesel top variant.

His need is city driving, mostly alone and sometimes with spouse and one kid. Once in a quarter he travels to distant places.. 500+ KM...
His monthly mileage is around 1500-1600 KM and primary need is Driving Pleasure...
(He is a Mechanical Engineer by education.. and a Software-Pro by profession and a wanna be Rally driver... )

Please advise...
Old 8th July 2013, 21:18   #27
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: XUV-W8 OR Ford EcoSport ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav007_007 View Post
My brother is driving an XUV-W8 for last 1.5 years and is looking for alternate options..

With all due respect, are these really comparable options?

Quote:
His need is city driving, mostly alone and sometimes with spouse and one kid. Once in a quarter he travels to distant places.. 500+ KM...
His monthly mileage is around 1500-1600 KM ....
Not sure why he picked up the XUV in the first place.
XUV5OO is a 7 seater highway cruiser. For primarily city-driving with max 2.5 occupancy, does he really need such a large vehicle?

Quote:
and primary need is Driving Pleasure...
(He is a Mechanical Engineer by education.. and a Software-Pro by profession and a wanna be Rally driver... )
If you mean 'handling' by driving-pleasure and if he wants to throw the vehicle around corners at relatively high speeds, a high Ground Clearance vehicle is not really a good choice.

Last edited by SDP : 8th July 2013 at 21:27.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 21:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
His monthly mileage is around 1500-1600 KM and primary need is Driving Pleasure...
This one sentence is enough to recommend you to stay away from SUVs. Just get a good driveable diesel sedan. The Laura, for one, comes to mind. Also check out the Fiesta.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 21:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

He is bound to lose a lot of money on the XUV right now. And yes as others have pointed out for driving pleasure there is no match for a sedan, either C segment or D segment. So you can tell him to get himself a sedan rather than the Ecosport.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 21:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please advise...
Really strange comparisons. Is he not happy with xuv? Then chances are that he won't like ecosport either

If city driving is a concern,Best option would be to buy a good hatch for city drives and keep xuv for weekends and highway drive.

Polo tsi? Or if something economic, say swift diesel
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks