Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Pajero Sports 4*4 Manual OR Pajero Sports AT (2*4)
Auto Transmission 2*4 17 36.17%
Manual Transmission 4*4 30 63.83%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 12:28   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameeracer View Post
I went to the dealer in Lucknow for a test drive of the Rexton. I was told they don't have any diesel and ill have to wait. After waiting I was told it can't be done today as they have no sanction for more diesel. I hope it answers your question on the great Mahindra dealer. I came back after threatening them that I would complaint to the company.the dealer is narain motors Lucknow, UP. Ill definitely want to stay away from this guy.
Sorry to hear about your experience. What I meant to say was that M&M dealers would be able to take care of the servicing needs of the vehicle since they are able to manage that for the XUV500 which comes with modern day technology. As far as the experience goes I am sure it would not be as good as Toyota or the Germans. But overall there are a lot of members who have the XUV500 on the forum and would be better be able to comment on the quality of the service at M&M outlets. Try to see if you can visit another dealer for the same. Sad to see dealers spoiling the products image like this.
Old 8th March 2013, 11:21   #32
BHPian

Today we are going to Checkout and do back to back test drives of most of the diesel SUV's available in India in the 20-30 lakh range. Have to see which one will tick majority of the boxes. Or will Innova be the end choice as the no nonsense vehicle. Drive will be mostly city with occasional highway trips. Not much offroad driving so 4x4 not a necessity . To Drive: Rexton, Santa Fe, Fortuner, Pajero Sport, Captiva.

Main check boxes are Drive, seating comfort for atleast 6 people (Middle Row really crucial), reliability, running costs, NHV,

May Checkout Koleos and xtrail. I am really surprised that Maruti or Fiat are not yet ready to tap the Diesel SUV market.
Old 11th March 2013, 23:04   #33
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Today we are going to Checkout and do back to back test drives of most of the diesel SUV's available in India in the 20-30 lakh range.
@indian21r - did you complete your planned test drives of various cars ? Please share your feedback, will help with my question as well
Old 12th March 2013, 07:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@indian21r - did you complete your planned test drives of various cars ? Please share your feedback, will help with my question as well
He choose the Innova in the end. So I guess the seating comfort and practicality of the vehicle outmatched the SUVs.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 09:20   #35
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
First of all in that price range Innova can carry the most persons and that is six in comfort and 8 at a pinch. In fact a micro bus; with 8 seats; is a better option if a lot of journeys are envisaged.

All SUV are uncomfortable beyond 4 persons and the third row, where available is for small children only. Of course in our country we have 10 persons in an Ambassador, but that is not in "Comfort"
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
He choose the Innova in the end. So I guess the seating comfort and practicality of the vehicle outmatched the SUVs.
I don't think there will be 8 people travelling, my bad. 4 comfortably and 6 as a stretch (infrequently) should do. Since they already have an Innova they were considering Pajero Sport and Fortuner and my take was that Fortuner was also built on the same platform so why not something else ? That's what I really want your suggestions on - what are the other Diesel SUVs that can be considered in the ~30L price range ?

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2013 at 20:18. Reason: Enough of moving & shuffling. The discussion can continue here
Old 12th March 2013, 15:51   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
That's what I really want your suggestions on - what are the other Diesel SUVs that can be considered in the ~30L price range ?
I'd consider one mor factor:

1. Do they need a 4WD or will a 2WD/AWD SUV suffice?

In the proper low ratio 4WD segment, there aren't many choices other than a Pajero Sport (my fav), the ageing Endy and the Rexton Manual.

In case they are ok with a 2WD/AWD, then their choices widen a bit to the Captiva (owners are pretty happy), the Santa Fe, and Rexton AT.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 22:32   #37
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I'd consider one mor factor:

1. Do they need a 4WD or will a 2WD/AWD SUV suffice?

In the proper low ratio 4WD segment, there aren't many choices other than a Pajero Sport (my fav), the ageing Endy and the Rexton Manual.

In case they are ok with a 2WD/AWD, then their choices widen a bit to the Captiva (owners are pretty happy), the Santa Fe, and Rexton AT.
Thanks! I had mentioned in my original post that 4WD and Auto transmission were not must have requirements (had requested MODS to move that post to the SUVs in 17-25L thread, sorry).
Anyways, the update is that they decided on the Pajero Sport, my friend tells me it is awesome
Old 14th March 2013, 18:41   #38
BHPian

Twist in the tale!

I was going through Behemoth and Anshuman's thread on the Xuv500 and it got me thinking. So just for the fun of it I called up my M&M dealer friend asking him about his experience with the W8 Xuv which he has had since launch in Odisha.
Said he prefers to take the Xuv instead of the RR sport on tours to his other sales outlets within Odisha since its comfortable, safe and serviceable everywhere.

I just got back from driving his personal XUV and I'm blown away! Mind you, I'm saying this after considering cars a segment above the Xuv!
Apart from being loaded with features absent on more expensive suv's, I found the ride more comfortable than Fortuner.
What clicks for me:
1) 6 Airbags, ESP, traction control etc.
2) Super smooth engine. Could barely hear the engine when seated inside the cabin with windows rolled up. Loved to be pulled.
3) Third row seat is alright for 1 hour drives.
4) The dealer is a very good friend so dealing with niggles if any should be less of an hassle.
Moreover, he will take my 2004 NHC for around 2.20 Lakhs while Toyota and Mitsubishi people weren't ready for exchange.
Super VFM!

Gripes:
1) Found front seats to be little small than I would have preferred.
2) The brakes weren't confidence inspiring but I'll probably get used to them.
3) Worried about all the niggles I've read about. I would hate running to the service center with niggles.
4) No AT transmission.

I wanted to get the AWD since i've always dreamt of driving to far off places(Ladakh?!) but he advised me against getting the AWD since its 1.20 Lakhs more than the 2wheel drive W8 and because my family doesn't like to take cars on inter-state travel and even then it's limited to highways.

I'm almost sold on it. Now it's between a Silver W8 or a Grey w8 both 2 wheel drives. He also has a white AWD in stock just in case!

What say?
Old 15th March 2013, 08:21   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.m View Post
I found the ride more comfortable than Fortuner.
This is a well known fact. Glad that you experienced it.
Quote:
Super VFM!
This has always been the XUV's trump card. 40k vehicles in one year is not a joke.

Quote:
Gripes:
1) Found front seats to be little small than I would have preferred.
2) The brakes weren't confidence inspiring but I'll probably get used to them.
3) Worried about all the niggles I've read about. I would hate running to the service center with niggles.
4) No AT transmission.
I'm almost sold on it. Now it's between a Silver W8 or a Grey w8 both 2 wheel drives. He also has a white AWD in stock just in case!
1. I m surprised you found the front seats inadequate. Yes, they kind of hug you making you feel held by them. Are you sure that was not the reason?
2. Did his vehicle have the new upgraded brake pads?
3. Most niggles have been sorted out and after this official recall, the XUV should be niggle free. Even if it is not, remember that none of them are show stopppers. Also, like you said, since the dealer is your friend, sorting them out too should not be an issue.
Quote:
What say?
Well, if I were you, I d pick up the AWD because it offers me mental peace of mind and you said you intend to travel as well but in case you feel that the vehicle will not do any trail running or expedition style travel, then the 2WD is sufficient.

And yes, 99% of the vehicles which go to Ladakh are 2WD and on the remaining 1%, the 4WD mode is hardly used.

OT: You might want to take a test drive of the Safari Storme too, just in case.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 09:16   #40
BHPian

It's decided! It's gonna be a grey FWD Xuv500!
So sorry to disappoint people who were hoping to see another Fortuner or PS here. XUV gives such value for money that its hard to overlook.

Safari storme might be a good car but I don't trust their quality and after sales. Tata is not an option for me.

The delivery date as suggests by my grandmother is 22nd. My friend got me a deal of 10.13% for 3 years from HDFC bank with processing charge of around 2500 and prepayment of 1%(unlikely to prepay since its just 3 year anyway) and is taking my 2004 NHC for 2.20L which I believe is a great deal.

Now, I saw a few new XUV's with Bridgestone tyres and few with JK Elanza tyres. Which of the two are better? I'm pretty sure I can get my friend to give me tyres of my choice. So do recommend!

Abhishek
Old 17th March 2013, 09:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
It's decided! It's gonna be a grey FWD Xuv500!
So sorry to disappoint people who were hoping to see another Fortuner or PS here. XUV gives such value for money that its hard to overlook.

Safari storme might be a good car but I don't trust their quality and after sales. Tata is not an option for me.

The delivery date as suggests by my grandmother is 22nd. My friend got me a deal of 10.13% for 3 years from HDFC bank with processing charge of around 2500 and prepayment of 1%(unlikely to prepay since its just 3 year anyway) and is taking my 2004 NHC for 2.20L which I believe is a great deal.

Now, I saw a few new XUV's with Bridgestone tyres and few with JK Elanza tyres. Which of the two are better? I'm pretty sure I can get my friend to give me tyres of my choice. So do recommend!

Abhishek
Hi Abhi, congrats on your wise decision.
I too am sold on the Xuv and might book in a couple of weeks. Just curious to know the offers/discounts you are getting.
Old 17th March 2013, 11:17   #42
BHPian

Well, the dealer being a very good friend I haven't asked about offers or discounts. Have heard another M&M dealer giving discount on accessories and matching outside insurance quotes.
abhi.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 13:11   #43
BHPian

Like I wrote before, I'd selected grey as the colour for my Xuv but my father wasn't very happy with it. So I insisted he go to the dealership and check out colours in flesh. Off he went where my M&M dealer friend (also dealer for Honda cars) very smartly showed him the Rexton and the New Crv hoping he'd like them more than the Xuv that I'd decided upon.

My dad came back mighty impressed with both and was sold on the Rexton that he TD'ed there. Since he had not checked the last row seats of the Rexton I had to explain it to him that it wasn't a 7 seater.
And we were back to the Xuv500 but this time in White that he'd liked more.
Took delivery on Friday and my friend gave me a very good deal.
Gave away my 2004 NHC for 2.10 plus an exchange bonus of 20k and accessories worth 11k thrown in for free!!

Here it is! Taking delivery (in red tee) with my friend giving me the keys!
Attached Thumbnails
Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-image1520272362.jpg  

Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-image1839073950.jpg  

Last edited by abhi.m : 24th March 2013 at 13:13.
Old 24th March 2013, 21:41   #44
BHPian

Want to buy an suv in 6 to 12 months . So started driving some of them . The first was safari storme . The front seats have shrunk and I found it to be unrefined and ride quality suffers in the rear . Pick up is good and the hill climbing abilities are also fine .

The second was rexton . I got an automatic as TD vehicle . Earlier my experience with auto versions were limited . Only an i10 and volvo xc90 . After that I really began hating autos . But surprisingly this one seems to be under control . I never felt as if I am driving an auto . The vehilce started moving gently . The power started to flow seamless . The changing of gear was not at all noticeable . They have provided paddle shift function along with another button which is located in the gear knob itself . It was a sheer pleasure using them .

The handling was very much under control . There was some involment and some fun to drive factor also . The guys who brought the vehicle told me that some engine noise existed . I also felt it but it was a kind of healthy knot while accelerating .

The braking was also good it boosted confidence to speed up . The chassis showed its mercedes pedigree while negotiating corners . The hill climbing was also good . The view through rear view mirror was excellent , it helped a lot while reversing . The side mirror position and view was also something that has to be mentioned about .

The front seats are big and comfy with options for various positions . The rear seats are reclinable and comfy like the front seats . The ride in front and rear both seems to be decent in all terrains .

The kenwood music system has SQ unlike many systems I have tested . The OE speakers are also good with decent bass , clean mid and refined highs . It is a VFM product which deserves some attention . It is well built with no flaws at all .
Old 24th March 2013, 22:30   #45
Team-BHP Support

I refill drive aPajero Sport off-road today. It is pretty good but terrible turbo lab below 2000rpm but darned good off road!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks