Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Pajero Sports 4*4 Manual OR Pajero Sports AT (2*4)
Auto Transmission 2*4 17 36.17%
Manual Transmission 4*4 30 63.83%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 09:00   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I refill drive aPajero Sport off-road today. It is pretty good but terrible turbo lab below 2000rpm but darned good off road!
You meant the Pajero Sport right? As the SFX has 0 lag.

Did you drive it on tarmac? How is the handling & roll when compared to the SFX?
Old 29th March 2013, 12:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

No Rexton, it used to be sold as Daewoo Rexton in Saudi Arabia earlier ( more than a decade ago ) for about Indian Rs. 8 lakhs and there were few takers. and has a very poor track record. Engine gasket heating and blowing up and poor body parts fitment.
Moreover Mahindra will fail to provide spare parts support. Reaxtons will sit for weeks in Mahindra service centres and body shops.
Old 30th March 2013, 12:13   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Did you drive it on tarmac? How is the handling & roll when compared to the SFX?
I've driven the Sport pretty well extensively both on the road and off it. While the turbo lag is an issue off road, it is nothing to worry about on it. It handles on the same lines as the SFX on slow to medium speeds but as the speeds increase, it sticks like a leech to the road. Body roll is pretty much the same as the SFX.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 12:32   #49
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
No Rexton, it used to be sold as Daewoo Rexton in Saudi Arabia earlier ( more than a decade ago ) for about Indian Rs. 8 lakhs and there were few takers. and has a very poor track record. Engine gasket heating and blowing up and poor body parts fitment.
I,guess Mahindra is not selling those decade old Rexton for 18+Lakh in India these days.

Quote:
Moreover Mahindra will fail to provide spare parts support. Reaxtons will sit for weeks in Mahindra service centres and body shops.
Is it your speculation or from any credible source?
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 20:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I am in the same flux currently, as I am assessing my next SUV in India. I like Rexton for its drivetrain & bells. The low sales numbers and the dysfunctional 3rd seat is pulling me away from it.

Fortuner-AT is a good choice. However, if it is this car, then I would love to buy the 4X4.

Pajero-Sport is no more a great option in today's choices, my 2 cents only.
Old 8th April 2013, 21:47   #51

With your kind of driving you just need a veh with high GC. Just justify to your self do you need to spend on systems you will never need but maintaim them during the life cycle of the vehicle. To my mind if you need power, go for XUV 500 otherwise Duster/Eco sport (to be launched shortly). I am driving Gypsy for last 10 yrs. Changed 3 times to new gypsy king. Driven extensively in ladakh, himachal, UP, bihar, jharkhand, west bengal, orissa and now in rajasthan. Believe me never had to use a 4x4. I did engage the 4x4 just to run it. The only time you would need 4x4 in rajasthan is when you want to purposefully do dune bashing or park the vehicle carelessly off road. Therefore take a decision and do take these factors into consideration and not my advise. As i understand for your kind of need SX4 will do. It has 185 GC and a great diesel engine.
shami62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 09:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still ? I doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I,guess Mahindra is not selling those decade old Rexton for 18+Lakh in India these days.

Is it your speculation or from any credible source?
+1

The one sold here is the new facelift which was launched in 2010-2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I've driven the Sport pretty well extensively both on the road and off it. While the turbo lag is an issue off road, it is nothing to worry about on it. It handles on the same lines as the SFX on slow to medium speeds but as the speeds increase, it sticks like a leech to the road. Body roll is pretty much the same as the SFX.
But far far better than of Fortuner.

Those who are getting SUV's should also sit in the rear and try 'texting' on a touch screen phone. I couldnt on a Fortuner :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi,

I am in the same flux currently, as I am assessing my next SUV in India. I like Rexton for its drivetrain & bells. The low sales numbers and the dysfunctional 3rd seat is pulling me away from it.

Fortuner-AT is a good choice. However, if it is this car, then I would love to buy the 4X4.

Loved Rexton interiors/seats/gadgets. Its also priced good.
If you are gonna take family around for long drives do take a TD with people in the rear too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shami62 View Post
With your kind of driving you just need a veh with high GC. Just justify to your self do you need to spend on systems you will never need but maintaim them during the life cycle of the vehicle. To my mind if you need power, go for XUV 500 otherwise Duster/Eco sport (to be launched shortly). I am driving Gypsy for last 10 yrs. Changed 3 times to new gypsy king. Driven extensively in ladakh, himachal, UP, bihar, jharkhand, west bengal, orissa and now in rajasthan. Believe me never had to use a 4x4. I did engage the 4x4 just to run it. The only time you would need 4x4 in rajasthan is when you want to purposefully do dune bashing or park the vehicle carelessly off road. Therefore take a decision and do take these factors into consideration and not my advise. As i understand for your kind of need SX4 will do. It has 185 GC and a great diesel engine.
?
Old 9th April 2013, 11:16   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
But far far better than of Fortuner.

Those who are getting SUV's should also sit in the rear and try 'texting' on a touch screen phone. I couldnt on a Fortuner :(
The Fortuner is as comfortable as a tractor, in the middle and the last rows. Forget texting, I could not sit for more than 85kms in the middle row of it.

The Sport is eons ahead of it on all counts.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 11:37   #54
BHPian

Hi,

Few points about Rexton.

1. Its a very very comfortable suv for city driving condition. Its basically like driving a car.
2. For people who dont know its engine is basically a marcedes benz sourced om612 5 cylinder engine which is quite popular abroad and is known for its reliability. Some foreign sites claim it is good for 5-6 lakh miles.
3. Engine is super smooth and silent till about 2500 rpm.
4. Power delivery is also very linear.
5. Suspension are soft so usefull in city but there is a little body roll when cornering at high speeds.
6. Front 2 rows are comfortable.
7. Third row is strictly for kids or for people under 5'5".
8. As a matter of fact if one goes through uk or australian sites where rexton has had a presence you will realise that it is known as a work horse and a good offroader.
9. The manual version which is rx5 comes with 4 high and 4 low which is very good for offroading.

BTW i am a proud owner of rexton rx5 which i bought last month after test driving it against fortuner. The only thing going for fortuner i guess is the toyota badge. Rest i feel fortuner is way to expensive (atleast by 4-5 lakhs).
ashroy_6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 11:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Hi,

I have just purchased rexton rx5 last month. It is indeed a very good option. It comes with

1. 5 cylinder mercedes benz om612 engine which according to many foreign sites and reviews is known to be a very reliable and a workhorse of a engine. People claim it is good for 5-6 lakhs miles.
2. Built quality is quite good. The plastics used in the interiors are also quite good. Interior design is nothing jazy but is traditionally handsome.
3. Driving a rexton is like driving a car...smooth power delivery.
4. Very silent and vibrationless engine thanks to 5 cylinders.
5. Beter loaded than fortuner.
6. Suspensions are a tad softer but then the ride comfort is absolutely superb. There is little bodyroll if u corner it at high speed. You dont feel potholes, speedbreakers and undulation in roads.
7. Seatig comfort is also good expect 3rd row which is meant for kids or short adults.
8.Now the best part...rx5 which is the manual version comes with 4 high and 4 low. As a matter of fact rexton is known abroad as a very reliable and good offroader. It is extensively used for towing duty in uk and australia thanks to its mercedes derived chassis and engine.

Its a good buy considering that it is atleast 6 lakhs cheaper than fortuner.

Hope this helps
ashroy_6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 17:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
I have just purchased rexton rx5 last month. It is indeed a very good option. It comes with
Could you put up a complete and comprehensive review of the car, there are very few buyers of Rexton, i am not sure how many of them are on Team BHP. This will help many like me who are waiting for that ideal SUV to come around.

Also, whenever that thread is up, please put in lots of pictures. I did went to Mahindra Showroom on St Marks Road, but the guy never bothered to call me back.
Old 9th April 2013, 20:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a good buy considering that it is atleast 6 lakhs cheaper than fortuner.
Hi Ashroy,

Firstly, many congratulations for your new car. A good choice!

Thanks for the details provided and would appreciate if you can do a exhaustive ownership thread to do the justice. This will also help potential swayers to Rexton!

I like the car, however the dismal sales figures are what I am concerned about! Also, M&M might lack the expertise with their A.S.C to service the Rextons.

Looking forward for a detailed ownership thread with pictures

Quote:
Loved Rexton interiors/seats/gadgets. Its also priced good.
If you are gonna take family around for long drives do take a TD with people in the rear too.
Hi JK Das,

Thanks for your input. I shall keep Rexton as a choice, for sure. The concerns are stated above.

Last edited by getsurya : 9th April 2013 at 20:16.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ashroy,

Firstly, many congratulations for your new car. A good choice!

Thanks for the details provided and would appreciate if you can do a exhaustive ownership thread to do the justice. This will also help potential swayers to Rexton!

I like the car, however the dismal sales figures are what I am concerned about! Also, M&M might lack the expertise with their A.S.C to service the Rextons.

Looking forward for a detailed ownership thread with pictures

Thanks...

I would probably do that at the earliest.

Regarding dismal sales figure if i am not mistaken it has now become the second largest selling d segment suv after fortuner. Please also bear in mind this without any major advt campaign and absolutely no brand value or recognition in Indian market.

Regarding servicing part I am sure it should not be a problem as rexton is not so heavily dependent on electronics like xuv5oo. You see its a straight forward suv with hardly any gizmos. For rest i am sure mahindra can do a good job. Moreover i personally dont see any problems arising in the suv in the next 3 years so i am hoping by that time mahindra would be well equipped to give good service.

Hope this helps...
Old 10th April 2013, 13:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

A Toyota is a Toyota. When Diamler Chrysler supplier Bosch in Detroit designs any drivetrain system part for Diamler Chrysler the benchmark product is Toyota / Denso part.

These are words from my brother in law who is a drivetrain system designer in Bosch Detroit.

Gizmos yes, fancy plastic maybe, but with poor spare parts logistics record for Mahindra Boleros and Scorpios what about this Rextron ? Add to it a coupling based four wheel drive system ( part time engaging and disengaging ) a very poor track record in the Middle East, where will this vehicle go ? It is a novelty right now different from Fortuners, Safari's and Ford Endevour but long term ownership is bound to throw up multiple failures all around. Since not enough will be sold spares will definetely be an issue.
Lets see what happens but my prediction is Rextron will vanish like the Standard 2000 in about 12 months time due to poor sales and poorer support.

Let a Rextron drive for 200,000 KM and then compare it with a Foretuner. The Rextron will be a beat up all ends with loose plastics, failed electrics, poor AC, engine gasket busted, silencer dangling, rattles and hums while the fortuner will smell old, will bear a few scratches but will drive like it used to on day one. That is the difference. Fancy gizmos dont guarentee you Toyota reliablility.
Old 10th April 2013, 14:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
A Toyota is a Toyota. When Diamler Chrysler supplier Bosch in Detroit designs any drivetrain system part for Diamler Chrysler the benchmark product is Toyota / Denso part.

These are words from my brother in law who is a drivetrain system designer in Bosch Detroit.

Gizmos yes, fancy plastic maybe, but with poor spare parts logistics record for Mahindra Boleros and Scorpios what about this Rextron ? Add to it a coupling based four wheel drive system ( part time engaging and disengaging ) a very poor track record in the Middle East, where will this vehicle go ? It is a novelty right now different from Fortuners, Safari's and Ford Endevour but long term ownership is bound to throw up multiple failures all around. Since not enough will be sold spares will definetely be an issue.
Lets see what happens but my prediction is Rextron will vanish like the Standard 2000 in about 12 months time due to poor sales and poorer support.

Let a Rextron drive for 200,000 KM and then compare it with a Foretuner. The Rextron will be a beat up all ends with loose plastics, failed electrics, poor AC, engine gasket busted, silencer dangling, rattles and hums while the fortuner will smell old, will bear a few scratches but will drive like it used to on day one. That is the difference. Fancy gizmos dont guarentee you Toyota reliablility.
Well i have compared fortuner here with respect to the cost which is close to 6-7 lakhs higher than rexton rx5. Now this by no means is small. I agree with you that fortuner is a proven vechicle and maybe the quality would be a notch higher than rexton but still you end up paying premium for it which is not small.

Regarding gizmos and fancy plastics there are hardly any so called gizmos present in rexton. I have posted that rexton has a good quality traditional design when it comes to interior layout. I dont think having abs and navigation system qualify as gizmos in todays world.

Regarding spare parts availability thats something we can only speculate. Personally i am confident that there should not be a problem as mahindra is planning to launch other models from ssangyong stable in near future. So i think ssaangyong is going to stay in India for a long time. Btw rexton is the seond largest selling suv after fortuner in d segment as of now so the poor sales figures does'nt come here at all. Regarding your prediction of 12 months, I dont think so.

About product bashing in any forum (middle east, Indian or elsewhere), it will always be there. Forums in uk and australia states rexton is an absolute workhorse. So as far as forums are concerned you can dig both positives and negatives of a vechicles. Moreover i have seen majority of owners (barring auto enthsiasts)who are happy with there vechicle dont report it because they dont have to.

I agree with you that only after multiple long term reviews only one can be sure of reliability.

I assume that the last paragraph you are only assuming.
ashroy_6 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks