Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Pajero Sports 4*4 Manual OR Pajero Sports AT (2*4)
Auto Transmission 2*4 17 36.17%
Manual Transmission 4*4 30 63.83%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 15:07   #61
BANNED

Re: Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
A Toyota is a Toyota.
A Toyota used to be A Toyota. No more. If you look at the global automotive scene, Toyota has had its share of recalls, faults and issues with its vehicles.

However, in India, Toyota is blatantly milking its customers in the name of its reputation. I m yet to see a decently maintained Maruti or a Hyundai, or a Mahindra or a Ford broken down on the road even after 10 years of sustained use and hence I do not consider Toyota a God.

Will the Rexton live upto its promise is something that needs to be seen and now that we have a Rexton owner, we will able to see it far more closely. Let us not bash a product unnecessarily.

Will I buy the Fortuner? Never with its current shortcomings.
Will I buy the Rexton? Never with its current shortcomings.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 17:39   #62
Senior - BHPian

A Fortuner in India is expensive no doubt. This class of vehicle is taxed heavily. I am not sure whether Fortuner is made in India or assembled as CKD kit.

In international markets the price is not so far away from Innova. An innova costs about US $ 21,500 Vs. A Fortuner with a 2.7 litre petrol engine at 26,000 odd. Even the best option Fortuner with a 242 bhp 1GRFE V6 petrol engine costs about 27,900.

As for this Rextron, inspite of a Mercedese engine there have been umpteen failures.
An engine doesn't solve all problems. A vehicle from Hyundai a 4x4 SUV called Galloper had a 3000 cc Mitsubishi Pajero engine. But what about everything else ? Ask the guy who as a marshal had to tow out these burning engine gallopers and broken shaft gallopers out of the desert.

SImilarly this experience about Ssanyong Muso, Daewoo Rextron and one more short whealbase Jeep like 2 door Ssangyong Kojak or something is not too grade. How many dozens of them I have had to painfully tow out to the nearest head point in the desert where a 6x6 recovery truck could reach. As for test drives and all we were offered by the dealer but we never even bothered to touch them in the city let alone offroad.

These things are new in India while I have years of international off roading experience, lets wait and see maybe I am wrong only time will tell, but India is a strange country. Hyundai is a more popular car than Toyota here! or rather used to be in an apples to apples comparision the best selling cars were Santro and i10. Toyota has not launched Starlet or any Daihatshu small hatch back here.
Hyundai accent sales are down now once Toyota Yaris Saloon launched as Etios came in. Similarly Sonata would have taken a hit with Corolla. Verna in its current shape continues to do well but Honda City Gen 4 next year will compete with it.
Old 12th April 2013, 19:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Fortuner in India is expensive no doubt
After spending considerable amount of time and effort, Fortuner seems to be likely choice(though I have 6 more months to firm up my decision!). I agree with desert fox, it is expensive for Indians from Toyota. However, what I am looking for is a car-

1. that can give me 7-10 years of ownership pleasure(I have changed enough cars till now and 'nirvana' must have set in on that front )
2. light on wallet
3. low on niggles and non consumption of my time for maintaining to our(TBHP) passionate standards
4. good service back up
5. highway cruiser, as I plan to explore more of India on the road from next year with my family
6. rugged and sturdy, go anywhere attitude
7. safe and reliable
8. flexibility to upgrade/modify as time passes to keep the novelty(being an international design, has lots of options on this front)
9. 'peace of mind'

I hope by this december, Toyota launches 4X4 AT model...wishful thinking
getsurya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 16:49   #64
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma...though I have ruled out the Rexton I am torn between the fortuner and the Pajero sport. The fortuner has a long waiting (8 months) but has very good after sales. In delhi NCR they have close to 15 dealers whereas its the exact opposite for the Pajero sport- 1 month waiting but only 2dealers. While both cars are meant to be used rough and hence shouldn't need extensive looking after, it is important to have a service centre wherever you go and that the Pajero sport lacks. The help I needed was to know if there is technically any major difference between the two 4X4 systems these two vehicles have. Some people have said that the Pajero is better at offroading given its pedigree, but how much better is it really?
What all can it do that the fortuner can't ? I am leaning towards the Pajero since its been a childhood dream, but the fortyner seems to be a more practical long term solution in india given Mitsubishi's hopeless association with HM. Please help.
Old 13th April 2013, 19:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashutosh View Post
I am in a similar dilemma...though I have ruled out the Rexton I am torn between the fortuner and the Pajero sport. The fortuner has a long waiting (8 months) but has very good after sales.
Whoever told you that fortuner has 8 months waiting, it has practically no waiting period for 4x2 MT and 4x2 AT and up to 1 month (zero waiting if you are willing to compromise on color) waiting for 4x4 MT. That's it.

I took a test drive of 4x4 MT last week in Bangalore with 7 adults and 2 kids and I had only one grouse, the suspension behavior. For in city driving it's not good, period. On bad roads it throws the occupants.

While giving my feedback I wrote about lack of satellite navigation system, I think I should have also mentioned about suspension being stiff.

Even with all these negatives I might book a fortuner 4x4 MT in next few months.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 12:15   #66
BHPian

TFORT could be a better choice with your requirements. But it has certain issues, from 'my point of view':

1. Interior is not worth 20+ lakhs. You feel like you are in Innova. Do not feel premium...with this price range! Quarter a million rupees!

2. Ride - not good vs Pajero Sport or Santa Fe/X-Trail etc. Highway cruising, not that pleasant comparing others like even Rexton/PS/XT/SF etc. Even Classic Pajero is a nice highway cruiser.

3. Noisy engine (or NVH insulation poor?)

4. Its almost 9 years old. Due for new model as per Toyota product cycle...but no news in the vicinity for new model! just updates like spoiler/bumper/chrome grill etc etc.

Advantages, everyone knows already...and thats why it sells...like vada pav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
After spending considerable amount of time and effort, Fortuner seems to be likely choice(though I have 6 more months to firm up my decision!). I agree with desert fox, it is expensive for Indians from Toyota. However, what I am looking for is a car-
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 16:25   #67
BANNED

Quote:
5. highway cruiser, as I plan to explore more of India on the road from next year with my family
And you are okay with its comfort levels? ?
Old 15th April 2013, 11:28   #68
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2013 at 11:24.
prakashutosh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th April 2013, 13:26   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

The 4X4 systems on Fortuner and Pajero Sport are very similar, with almost identical hardware and similar drive modes(except there is no 2wd drive mode in Fortuner 4x4). Both of these do not come with diff locks or Limited slip differential on rear diffs, unlike the Pajero SFX which had a LSD on rear diff.

To enable, full time AWD these SUVs also have a centre diff, which is LSD in normal operation(not sure if it is LSD in Pajero Sport) and can also be locked for 50:50 split for offroading.

Pajero has Superior Ride, handling and dynamics but i prefer Fortuner's Looks, Support and Power Delivery characteristics. Both are pretty loud in cabin for vehicles that cost close to 30L.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2013 at 11:25. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted. Thanks
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 14:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
TFORT could be a better choice with your requirements. But it has certain issues, from 'my point of view':

1. Interior is not worth 20+ lakhs. You feel like you are in Innova. Do not feel premium...with this price range! Quarter a million rupees!

2. Ride - not good vs Pajero Sport or Santa Fe/X-Trail etc. Highway cruising, not that pleasant comparing others like even Rexton/PS/XT/SF etc. Even Classic Pajero is a nice highway cruiser.

3. Noisy engine (or NVH insulation poor?)

4. Its almost 9 years old. Due for new model as per Toyota product cycle...but no news in the vicinity for new model! just updates like spoiler/bumper/chrome grill etc etc.

Advantages, everyone knows already...and thats why it sells...like vada pav.
As someone who has a Fortuner and drives regularly I would like to offer my views on the above points.

1. The interior thing you can bat around all you want but this is a highly personal thing. I find the interiors very very good and they have a lasting feel about them, everything is ergonomically A OK, in short it just works. And that for me is as premium as it goes. It is a body on frame UV not a S - class competitor, the only thing is that it costs 30 lakh so people have high expectations. I have never felt like I am in an Innova and even if I did feel that I am in one, it most closely resembles the top of the line Innova which is around 15-16 lakn on road Delhi, again not a cheap vehicle.

2. OK ride is bumpy, I agree, but on highways it is great, the engine goes on and on and if you ride it like a 2 ton monster it is, it really takes good care of you. Comparing to the Pajero sports, Yes the PS is marginally better, rest I have not driven and more over they are different technicals so a direct comparison is not fair.

3. It is really quite inside and only when you really stress the engine do you feel the noise. Again this is personal so the OP has to judge for himself.

4. Regarding new model, well you can wait but who knows it could be an year or two or even three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Whoever told you that fortuner has 8 months waiting, it has practically no waiting period for 4x2 MT and 4x2 AT and up to 1 month (zero waiting if you are willing to compromise on color) waiting for 4x4 MT. That's it.

I took a test drive of 4x4 MT last week in Bangalore with 7 adults and 2 kids and I had only one grouse, the suspension behavior. For in city driving it's not good, period. On bad roads it throws the occupants.

While giving my feedback I wrote about lack of satellite navigation system, I think I should have also mentioned about suspension being stiff.

Even with all these negatives I might book a fortuner 4x4 MT in next few months.
Well here in Delhi, the waiting times are crazy and the OP is correct. Gurgaon dealers do not even take bookings, I had to get my car from HP for this reason alone.
Do get one, you will not be dissapointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashutosh View Post
Also what is he ownership experience for a mitsubishi product amongst the current mitsubishi owners. If teh ASS is not bad though not very widespread, I can live with that. Please help!!
My friend bought the Pajero Sports and according to him it is not bad but it ain't great either. So check the local dealer and ask around. That is your best bet.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 14:35   #71
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2013 at 11:25.
Old 15th April 2013, 14:56   #72
BHPian

Try Espirit toyota and ask for Mr. Eshan or Mr. Bhandari, these guys were really helpful to me. Also Espirit being a small dealership they had the least waiting time of all the dealerships. If you have means to get it registered in HP, I can help you get the car sooner. PM me for more details. Also if you have residence proof in smaller cities and don't mind registering there, dealerships there have quick allotment and can get you a car in less than a month. Happy buying and good luck.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2013 at 11:25. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted. Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 16:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I see too many people comparing vehicles narrowly. E.g. considering minor differences in on road or offroad behaviour, handling etc.

The Pajero Sports and the Fortuner are more or less equally competent (with relative pluses and minuses in certain areas). However, Toyota ASC - while not that great - is the lesser of the two evils. And for a 4X4 going into all sorts of places, ASC network and capabilities matter. And the way I look at it: since Toyota has big plans for India, they will be more careful about maintaining their brand equity (i.e. catering promptly to customers throwing tantrums) than a company that is somewhat indifferent towards India (and manages to screw up the marketing and sales of great vehicles). And I would assume that the quality of managers and management will be better at Toyota than at HM. Which again means more customer focus.

Regarding the Rexton: I would stay away for the sames reasons that are covered in the Rexton turbo issue thread. Most M&M centres won't have a clue regarding what to do if something goes wrong.

If one is buying a SUV to mallroad, one can get away with any vehicle. If one is taking that SUV to all sorts of roads and places, then one has to make certain compromises and go with something that overall gives the best package - overall including ASC, the brand's dedication to India (how much resources would they be willing to bear to solve issues), resale value (if that matters) etc.

Do take a weighted average + holistic approach instead of basing decisions on delta-level differences. How much weightage would you give to interiors or ride or reliability or ASC? Or saving a few lakhs extra Rupees? Questions only the potential buyer can answer.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 20:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

[/quote]And you are okay with its comfort levels? ?[/quote]

Hi Dev,

Not being defensive, however If I was comfortable with Scorpios(one leaf springs & the other lotus tuned one) then I guess Fortuner would be an improvement

Unfortunately in India, we do not have much choice when it comes to quality+reliability+looks+price = peace of mind

Some where in the above equation we have to make a compromise, which one is individual choice.

Quote:
I would stay away for the sames reasons
Nilanjanray, I agree with you and the concern is that If I have to reach out to Anand Mahindra for 'a' car's problem, then I would have some reservations in investing my money into Rexton. I am a big fan of M&M from generations, however I cannot spend too much time on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to fight the niggles to keep the car a trouble free machine(Rexton or XUV, for that matter!).

I am pushing my choice from XUV to Fortuner for this simple reason!

Last edited by getsurya : 15th April 2013 at 20:37.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:38   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Dev,

Not being defensive, however If I was comfortable with Scorpios(one leaf springs & the other lotus tuned one) then I guess Fortuner would be an improvement
I wish I could agree with you Surya. I too, as you know, drive a Lotus tuned (really??!!!, doesn't feel like it..!!) Scorpio and feel that it offers a better ride, and I m not alone here.

Quote:
Unfortunately in India, we do not have much choice when it comes to quality+reliability+looks+price = peace of mind
Since you were ok with the XUV (manual tranny), I strongly recommend you take a TD of the Pajero Sport back to back with the Fortuner. The results will speak for themselves.
While Mitsubishi service stations might be few and far between, I m yet to meet an unhappy Mitsu owner, TBHP or elsewhere.

Quote:
I am pushing my choice from XUV to Fortuner for this simple reason!
The XUV is NOT an unreliable vehicle when it comes to its core components. Off late, most of its niggles too have been sorted out and its niggle free-ness will only increase over the next 6 months when you actually intend to plonk your cash.

OT: Why not another Scorpio if you have been a satisfied Scorpio owner? The VLX 4WD is now a decent beast to own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks